Artifact for anti combo aristocrats?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

I'm looking for an artifact based control piece that works to prevent my opponents combo-ing off with a creature based death trigger combo. For example, something involving Nim Deathmantle and Blood Artist or maybe Skirk Prospector and Krenko, Mob Boss.

Something along the lines of Portcullis although I think that works too hard against my own strategy in this particular deck. (artifact only atraxa)
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Sounds like what you actually want is leyline of the void|tsr. Otherwise you might just use Grafdigger's Cage or Weathered Runestone.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Relic of progenitus will stop most of the combos as will grafdiggers cage.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

Cursed Totem and Damping Matrix are great silver bullets.
If you know your opponents decks well enough, Phyrexian Revoker, Pithing Needle and Sorcerous Spyglass are adept at stopping a lot of Shenanigans.

Also, i'll second Grafdigger's Cage and Weathered Runestone.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Orbs of Warding can stop some goblin combos, and blood artist, but keep in mind that it doesn't stop Zulaport Cutthroat
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

You effectively called out three unique combos, at least in terms of the hate needed. Nim Deathmantle can be shut down by Relic of Progenitus, Unlicensed Hearse, and other sources of graveyard removal. Blood Artist combos can be hindered by some of those (ex: if they're doing Reveillark + Karmic Guide loops), but grave hate won't do a thing if they're sacrificing tokens - you need hexproof or something else for that. On the flip side, if your opponent is generating a bunch of mana off Skirk Prospector, then not even Rest in Peace / Leyline of the Void would do anything.

Other people in the thread have already called out some of the hate options available - Grafdigger's Cage, Pithing Needle, etc - so I'm going to call out something a bit more esoteric and on-theme: Salvaging Station. It untaps and lets you recur a thing every time a creature dies, and depending on what you recur, it's capable of breaking up most combos. Nihil Spellbomb, Aether Spellbomb, Pithing Needle, Executioner's Capsule, Dispeller's Capsule... there are a ton of powerful disruptive options to recur.

The other cheeky options I'll call out are Platinum Emperion and Platinum Angel - they won't stop any combos, but they will let you live through them. Dingus Staff also doesn't directly stop any combos, but it does limit the number of times they can be looped.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

I found Grafdigger's Cage and Cursed Totem hinder my own strategy too much. I'm not too concerned about activated abilities. Shutting things down that much tends to make me a hate magnet.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Salvaging Station. It untaps and lets you recur a thing every time a creature dies, and depending on what you recur, it's capable of breaking up most combos. Nihil Spellbomb, Aether Spellbomb, Pithing Needle, Executioner's Capsule, Dispeller's Capsule... there are a ton of powerful disruptive options to recur.
This is pretty clever and maybe something I would try although Salvaging Station doesn't do a whole lot for me on its own.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
The other cheeky options I'll call out are Platinum Emperion and Platinum Angel - they won't stop any combos, but they will let you live through them. Dingus Staff also doesn't directly stop any combos, but it does limit the number of times they can be looped.
I think Dingus Staff might be the card I'm looking for. I've glossed over this card before but now that I'm thinking out it I think it does almost exactly what I'm looking to do. This stops infinite combos involving death triggers, sacs, etc.. so it stops Skirk Prospector but also Nim Deathmantle from going infinite.

4cmc is managable for sure. I can compare the effect to Massacre Wurm which has been great in other decks. Would be awesome to flash this in with Vedalken Orrery in respone to a board wipe lol.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I wouldn't bet on dingus staff working. Two aristocrat effects will beat it and they can often draw cards into removal or similar.

You really need to shut off the yard. I generally find the relic effects to be the best personally

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
1 year ago
This is pretty clever and maybe something I would try although Salvaging Station doesn't do a whole lot for me on its own.
Looking at your deck, you have Executioner's Capsule and Dispeller's Capsule, so you're already half of the way there. Throw in Aether Spellbomb and any grave hate option (Nihil Spellbomb / Soul-Guide Lantern / etc), and that should be plenty to recur. That said, I am coming from the perspective of my own build, which has Trinket Mage and Artificer's Intuition to fetch 1-drops, which you can't run, so you may need a couple extra targets. Maybe Mishra's Bauble / Urza's Bauble? There are options.

(I will call out Salvaging Station + Krark-Clan Ironworks + Manifold Key as a very amusing infinite mana engine, given that you're already running KCI)

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

If it's tokens, Blood Artist or Blood Seeker is what you're looking for. Or Suture Priest in white.

Also in white, there's Rest in Peace. No death triggers, no graveyard. Go directly to exile. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”