Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL June Top 4/Round 4

"Perfectly Complementary"

Avacyn's Pilgrim, taken from DeviantArt, by Jana Schirmer & Johannes Voss and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Rainbow Month here at the CCL. Every color in Magic is important, and they're all needed at once and in equal measure for the game to function.

Challenge
Design two monocolored cards. One of them must have an ability that adds mana of a specific different color. The other must be the color of mana that the first card can produce and have an ability that requires payment of mana of the first card's color.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
Contestants:

@slimytrout
@RaikouRider
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Henlock
Your submissions are due Thursday, July 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 1st-12th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 13th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 20th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (June 30th–July 5th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due July 7th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 18th–21st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 23rd)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Vraska's Gambit 2B
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this, sacrifice a creature.
Choose X, where X is the sacrificed creature's power. You may choose the same mode more than once.
• Each opponent discards a card.
• Add GG.
• You draw a card, mill a card, and lose 1 life.
• You gain 1 life for each creature card in your graveyard.

Woodland Shade 2G
Creature - Shade (C)
Trample
1B: Woodland Shade gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/1
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Basal Ickspitter 1B
Creature - Thrull (Common)
First strike
Sacrifice Basal Ickspitter: Add R.
Rakdos didn't make any excuses: it was perfectly clear what the Cult's thrulls were for,
1/1

Crossbow Ogre 3R
Creature - Ogre Mercenary (Uncommon)
T: Crossbow Ogre deals 1 damage to any target.
4B: Crossbow Ogre gains lifelink and deathtouch until end of turn.
2/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Still in need of entries from @RaikouRider and @Henlock.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Sacrificial Goat w
Enchantment Creature - Goat (u)
b, Sacrifice Sacrificial Goat: Add bbb
0/1

Repenting Cultist 3b
Creature - Human Cleric (u)
When Repenting Cultist enters the battlefield, return target creature card with mana value X or less from your graveyard to the battlefield, where X is the amount of spent to cast it.
3/3

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

This completely slipped my mind! Will get to this tonight after work.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@RaikouRider One more poke! I'll give you about 12 more hours for this round.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

Just move on without me, I've been too busy with other projects. Sorry. I'll probably end up taking a hiatus from MCC/CCL in general. :(

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Well, sorry to hear that you're going to be away from the contests, but best of luck with everything else! We'll miss you.

In any case, everyone who entered: Please critique both other contestants and rank them 1 and 2.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@slimytrout @kwanyeegor-ii @Henlock Please get in at least a 1 and 2 ranking at your first convenience.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I'd be pretty unhappy to play the Ickspitter. 1 power of first strike is not good for a 2-drop, and I'm not consoled much by getting a 1-mana rebate once I don't need it any more. The ogre on the other hand is very strong -- probably too strong for an uncommon, where you don't typically see repeatable Visara the Dreadful activations, even if they cost 5 mana.
Henlock
Show
Hide
The goat is interesting -- definitely pushing the boundaries of what's in-color, but the flavor is fun enough that I think it would fly. The Cultist is also fun, but it's playing a bit fast and loose with the contest rules, since the ability doesn't technically "require" payment of white mana -- if there's an Ornithopter in your graveyard it works just fine without it. I don't think it's worthy of disqualification, butt I am going to deduct some "points" for it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

slimytrout - Vraska's Gambit; While sacrificing a big creature is a sizeable cost, anything that can wipe a player:s hand is probably worth it. Golgari is beey good at cheating fatties into play, and have lots of drawback ones too. 6 power can mean a boost of 12 mana, or 6 cards in hand,. ot lots of life and discard. The ability to combine all.of this at will.makes it too strong imo.

Woodland.shade: Lovely combination of shade and rootwalla abilities..A very elegant design.

kwanyegor: I agree with slimy that this is a bit weak, but as a common it might actually see print.
I think the ogre is a bit too opressive for.limited,. I can see something like this printed in a commander precon, but costs and.stats would need some work.

1. slimytrout
2. kwanyegor

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Just the ranking

1. slimytrout
2. henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that makes slimytrout and Henlock the finalists! Final round to come no later than tomorrow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”