Buried under new sets, what are some good newer draw spells/engines in esper?

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

I do plan on doing my own search through recent sets, but I just put together a list for a Kamiz, Obscura Oculus infect deck and started brainstorming good draw options for an esper aggro deck, and aside from all the old favs, I realized I don't know what the kids are playing these days.

So for someone for whom Eldraine still feels like a new set, what do you all like from newer sets for draw in Esper? Memory Deluge looks interesting, but I know there has to be a bunch I'm completely oblivious to.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Tainted Indulgence seems really good to me.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Hm, there are probably so many options it's overwhelming... kind of depends on what your deck is trying to do. I usually take a peek at EDHrec to see what people are running for a specific commander.

That said, a lot of the old staples are still good. I run Insight to great effect in my playgroup.

Wotc has been going hard for white card draw recently. Smuggler's Share and Archivist of Oghma are the hot new cards right now. There's Esper Sentinel and Wedding Ring .

Wotc has been printing a ton of card draw for commander and you have a lot of options depending on what best synergizes with the rest of your list.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Ledger Shredder seems like a monster in that sort of build. Honestly its probably kind of good anywhere but being as cheap as it is, able to filter reactively for you and beat in (with infect in your build) id say its worth the spend. Sadly, not as cheap as they were on release.

Robe of the Archmagi seems super cool too. I haven't tried it but that selkie effect is nice in a pseudo-aggro build.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

There are a lot of options, and it IS overwhelming. My aim in this thread is more, has anyone who's been playing recently (which I haven't much) had good experience with newer draw engines/draw spells? I'm definitely able to look through and weigh the options, but sometimes someone's experience is worth an hour on scryfall.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Shredder does seem great, and Robe is one I skimmed over which seems legit.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Disclaimer: I haven't played much since the start of this year. However, I do keep a list of every card that catches my eye during spoiler season. Limiting it just to Esper card draw, the cards that stand out to me since NEO (minus cards from the recent CLB precons) are: I will note that my list is skewed towards cards I want for my decks (hence all the token / artifact / blink stuff), so I won't claim it to be a comprehensive list. I will call out Shorikai, Genesis Engine in particular though, entirely because it ended up banned in Duel Commander. Less threatening in the 99, but still amusing to note.

....I also have Jacob Hauken, Inspector // Hauken's Insight, Toxrill, the Corrosive, and Welcoming Vampire on my list, which are a little less recent, but still worth noting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”