How do you identify your clone tokens?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

See title. There has been quite a number of cloning effect it's getting difficult to identify all of them in a long game, especially non-creatures. What are some of your tricks in presenting and identifying them?

I've been using the copy tokens and abbreviate them with Scramble letters. For example, Doubling Season would be DS, Elspeth, Sun's Champion would be ESC.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

If I'm copying one of my own things (which is usually the case), I'll stick the copy token next to or underneath the original.

If I'm copying an opponents' creature, I'll use dice to represent its stats, which is usually enough to remember what it is (ex: Sun Titan would be represented with two 6s).

If I'm copying an opponents' thing that isn't a creature, I'll question my life choices.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

I normally panic and scramble to find some kind of object to represent the cloned thing. I have clone tokens, and I'll normally do what Mookie does and put it under the card its cloning. I've seen a lot of Infinitokens around lately, but I have a deck box dedicated to tokens and...I like them. Further, I took Clone Legion out of one of my decks just to avoid the mess of it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Blank Magic cards and a sharpie. They're cheap, plentiful, and reusable.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

I usually just use another copy of the card if I have it on me to style on everyone. I actually had the table staring in awe at me today when I had my Astral Dragon multiply my Rhystic Study and I'm like "Yeah I opened a few packs of Prophecy in my day what about it" :P

Otherwise I just tear pieces of paper out of my notebook and make really terrible drawings that are supposed to represent the card.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Whiteboard tokens with dry erase markers.

Sometimes if I'm bored I'll illustrate them poorly.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
There has been quite a number of cloning effects it's getting difficult to identify all of them in a long game
MSE + Avery business card stock + printer = doublesided tokens I can design myself that come out about the size of 1/2 a split card. For cloning copies, I usually don't trim the bottom of the card so I can use it to make notes.

Example
SPOILER
Show
Hide
TokenExample.jpg
I also make non-token markers (such as Spark Double overlays for whatever he might be copying - usually Toothy) and change the "token" in the type line above to "copy" to show it goes over a card and isn't a token itself.
V/R

Treamayne

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Volo, Guide to Monsters is interested in these ideas. At a baseline, putting a token next to the creature that was cast is fine. But then it gets confusing once I start populating, doubling tokens, etc.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Whiteboard tokens with dry erase markers.

Sometimes if I'm bored I'll illustrate them poorly.
I built Volo, Guide to Monsters and was tempted to dismantle him after 3 games due to trouble tracking tokens logistically, but my sister-in-law got me these for Christmas last year and they've helped a ton. I will also have way too much fun doing stick figure drawings of my copies.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Yeah, whiteboard is really the best option. Before that, I used index cards, keeping them for things I might continue to see. (And of course recycling them when I was done.)

@Treamayne Joke's on you. I populate my Nacatl War-Pride tokens.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Can't stress the whiteboard cards option enough. They're so useful, not just for token copies.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

A friend of mine keeps a pack of Post-It notes with him and makes tokens or puts them on top of clone cards so he can remember what is what.

When I play my Sakashima deck I tend to just remember what clone is what (it isn't generally hard to remember a handful). If any clones copy another thing i have (regardless of the deck), I stack those things with each other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”