Cool Creatures to Remove Counters From for Falco

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Falco Spara, Pactweaver is my kind of janky general. No idea what payoff I might go for yet, but I want to start brainstorming creatures you want to pull counters from.

I did a quick search for creatures with cumulative upkeeps in bant and unfortunately there's nothing great where it's worthwhile to keep the cumulative upkeep low. Survivor of the Unseen isn't horrible in that it lets you set up what card Falco can cast. Maybe there's something I'm missing in one of them.

Persist creatures seem obvious and are the classics in these colors.

What else?

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Was looking at Chisei for inspiration, but he seems to use a lot of sagas.

Thing in the Ice // Awoken Horror…except you don't want to bounce your own stuff with counters
Undying, though those creatures are not great
Serrated Biskelion
Stuff with adapt or evolve
Leech Bonder
Level up creatures
Sludge Monster?

EDIT: Started looking at IKO and figured I only would find the cycling-counters guys. Check out the mentor cycle. Luminous Broodmoth probably is a good choice.

Support
Bolster
Monstrosity
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

+2 for Luminous Broodmoth

What other mechanics play in that space? Undying and persist spring to mind. There were a lot of creatures in Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation that entered with -1/-1 counters or put them on other creatures, and rewarded you for removing them. Of course, I can't think of their names right now. I also assume you'd want Flux Channeler and Evolution Sage.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

The most obvious is probably Forgotten Ancient / Sunscorch Regent who basically read "your commander is now Future Sight.

If you want the removal of the counter to be *useful* I think most of those cards are in other colors unfortunately (the amonket cycle of dudes who come in with -1/-1 counters as a side effect, like Plague Belcher ).

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Luminous Broodmoth is sweet. While I'm at wrath protection Twilight Shepherd is one I haven't played in a lonnnng time.

As far as the counters when opponents cast spells deal, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker is another one.

Lost Auramancers is probably one of the cooler ones I've found so far. Falco makes it a decent poor man's Academy Rector

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 2 years ago

If you're creature heavy, evolve creatures work really well, especially cheap ones like Cloudfin Raptor or Experiment One to get the ball rolling. You basically get a +1/+1 counter on them every time you resolve a creature spell or something that makes tokens, then remove it to cast the next thing and repeat. Fathom Mage is more expensive but also draws you a card, making you less reliant on casting from the top of your library and lets you churn through the deck faster. Scurry Oak makes a squirrel every time it evolves, which it will do more often when you remove its counters.

Or you can combo "win" by making Divine Intervention a creature so you can remove counters from it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”