BOOMER MAGIC (Garth One-Eye)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

So I had this idea and yes this is me recognizing how much of a boomer player I am. So why not embrace that! I quietly retired WB Korvold and Kaalia because they've been power crept out these days, so I don't have my old thirst quencher anymore. I also haven't built a 5c deck (seriously), so that's interesting to explore. Let's fix that.

- cards must have an old face print, not counting promos (timeshift remasters is okay so I can get the full fetch suite). I just sold my judge promos to buy into modern, I really don't want to go chase those again.
- white border/black border is fine.
- should be iconic from magic history - i.e. we're talking Vindicate|apc, spiritmonger|apc, pernicious deed|apc, but then also necropotence|5ed, survival of the fittest|exo, rhystic study|pcy and fires of yavimaya|inv. You get the idea.
- I'm not worried about price constraints as I'll probably seek...erm, alternative means...to obtain prohibitively expensive cards.

WIP: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Uc1OZ9F-2UeU2JI7RRgqug
Last edited by 3drinks 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

Hm, maybe you could do something like including the most iconic (available) card in each set and fill out your nonlands that way?

3drinks

wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
Hm, maybe you could do something like including the most iconic (available) card in each set and fill out your nonlands that way?
Ha. It'd be the only time a deck featured both High Tide and Autumn Willow 😂

wildfire393

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
I'd say more likely Hymn to Tourach and Memory Lapse, but I would make some level of allowance for actual playability.

3drinks

wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
I'd say more likely Hymn to Tourach and Memory Lapse, but I would make some level of allowance for actual playability.
I'd probably grab the remastered Tourach, Dread Cantor as a nod to the Hymn for playability.

Probably use astral slide as the iconic onslaught card by far, to reset Garth.

3drinks

This project feels like @Sinis might have input. 🤔

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 2 years ago

Sounds like a fun project! I built a 5 color old-bordered list a long time ago, which you can still find here https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/th ... -nostalgia:

Survival of the Fittest, Genesis, and Squee, Goblin Nabob, and Intuition can make quite a good engine.

Playing into an enchantment theme also works quite well in old border, with enchantress effects and Serra's Sanctum.

wildfire393

capitacommunist wrote:
2 years ago
Sounds like a fun project! I built a 5 color old-bordered list a long time ago, which you can still find here https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/th ... -nostalgia:

Survival of the Fittest, Genesis, and Squee, Goblin Nabob, and Intuition can make quite a good engine.

Playing into an enchantment theme also works quite well in old border, with enchantress effects and Serra's Sanctum.
There's a lot of cards you'd really want for an Enchantress deck that haver never received an old frame printing though, like the best Constellation cards, Sythis, Sanctum Keeper, etc. There's a few decent ones (Ethereal Armor, Hall of Heliod's Generosity, Resurgent Belief, Sigil of the Empty Throne) but you're gonna feel pretty lacking overall.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Fact or Fiction and Spiritmonger seem mandatory in a list like this!

Also very important: Birds, Morphling, Masticore, and Flametongue Kavu
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

Generic old pro tour stalwarts seems a super easy direction to take this and hammer out a direction for sure. Saproling Burst to go with the Fires, and blastoderm|nem, and Exalted Angel.

Maybe even a twinge of the old ug madness world championship deck...

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

Generic old pro tour stalwarts seems a super easy direction to take this and hammer out a direction for sure. Saproling Burst to go with the Fires, and blastoderm|nem, and Exalted Angel.

Maybe even a twinge of the old ug madness world championship deck...
Basking Rootwalla loves Survival…

3drinks

Wow this deck is really, really pricey based on my running talley on moxfield. I might have to go mass proxy (my LGS doesn't allow proxy apparently but what they don't know can't hurt them question mark) or brew in a "SilverBlack" (commons/uncommons) + Garth manner until I figure out the direction I want to go.

Seeing spiritmonger at $3, vindicate at $15, and obv not even looking at the fetch-dual base, this is absolutely insane.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Upheaval|ODY is banned, sadly. I think you need Necropotence|ICE, despite colour constraints, considering how long it was an iconic card.

For a mana base, I'm going to remain agnostic about whether you're not using Onslaught fetches or ABUR Duals.
  • Painlands are old frame (Ice Age and Apocalypse), budget, and good.
  • Krosan Verge|JUD, City of Brass|CHR, and even Gemstone Mine|WTH is good fixing.
  • The Odyssey signet land cycle Darkwater Catacombs|ODY can help fix, and come into play untapped, and could potentially defray life loss from Painlands (though, this can also bite you if you need colours that the signet-lands don't provide, and you're trying to leverage something that you can only just barely cast).
  • Land Tax fixes, and you probably won't be ahead a whole lot considering how few good ramp cards are old frame.
  • Mirage had some fetchlands (Bad River|MIR, Grasslands|MIR, etc.) and they top out at a few bucks each (even Bad River, which has never been reprinted in paper, is $3 according to scryfall). They're not great, and they compare pretty unfavourably to Terramorphic/Evolving, but they are old frame, and they do fix (and are better with duals, but, most people I know aren't using them or don't have them).
There are options, since there is an old frame Solemn, Farseek, and the usual old suspects like Rampant Growth, Skyshroud Claim, Explosive Vegetation, etc. You can probably get to a customary 8-10 ramp cards, though some of them might be niche or bad; Skyshroud Claim isn't going to fix for you, and Far Wanderings|TOR is an excellent card in the right deck, but I wouldn't just jam it in any deck, and this one sounds like it won't get to leverage the Threshold very often in the early game.

My big question before really taking a deep dive on the non-mana contents is how do you want to win and how do you want the deck to play?

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
Upheaval|ODY is banned, sadly. I think you need Necropotence|ICE, despite colour constraints, considering how long it was an iconic card.

For a mana base, I'm going to remain agnostic about whether you're not using Onslaught fetches or ABUR Duals.
  • Painlands are old frame (Ice Age and Apocalypse), budget, and good.
  • Krosan Verge|JUD, City of Brass|CHR, and even Gemstone Mine|WTH is good fixing.
  • The Odyssey signet land cycle Darkwater Catacombs|ODY can help fix, and come into play untapped, and could potentially defray life loss from Painlands (though, this can also bite you if you need colours that the signet-lands don't provide, and you're trying to leverage something that you can only just barely cast).
  • Land Tax fixes, and you probably won't be ahead a whole lot considering how few good ramp cards are old frame.
  • Mirage had some fetchlands (Bad River|MIR, Grasslands|MIR, etc.) and they top out at a few bucks each (even Bad River, which has never been reprinted in paper, is $3 according to scryfall). They're not great, and they compare pretty unfavourably to Terramorphic/Evolving, but they are old frame, and they do fix (and are better with duals, but, most people I know aren't using them or don't have them).
There are options, since there is an old frame Solemn, Farseek, and the usual old suspects like Rampant Growth, Skyshroud Claim, Explosive Vegetation, etc. You can probably get to a customary 8-10 ramp cards, though some of them might be niche or bad; Skyshroud Claim isn't going to fix for you, and Far Wanderings|TOR is an excellent card in the right deck, but I wouldn't just jam it in any deck, and this one sounds like it won't get to leverage the Threshold very often in the early game.

My big question before really taking a deep dive on the non-mana contents is how do you want to win and how do you want the deck to play?
I'll be generating ABUs and using the ten eleven fetches, thanks MH2 for providing retros of those. I've currently got Land Tax in here, but upping to ten basics (two of each) is high to justify it, and sticking with one of each makes land tax not entirely worth. Claim/Lore/Visits will clearly carry more weight in this way for sure. Krosan Verge should make the cut too, and I bet then Thawing Glaciers will do better long term than land tax here as well. Based on the moxfield link here, I think I'm good on the ramp and fixing.

I want to leverage it towards a more casual end value town deck. Not rushing to a t2 combo (despite squirrelcraft being present), but being able to keep up with decks at all stages. So, I guess that puts me at a 5cc deck. Using Garth to leverage removal on-call, a threat on-call, hand refill on-call, and recursion on-call, so some blink to reset him. To that end, I have Tradewind Rider in the list since you can self bounce with rider, garth, and his shivan. This suggests I want a bit more of a token play, and with that I could do Opposition and some other untap shenanigans to double proc Garth (like the already-in-list seeker of skybreak|tmp).

...Aaaaaannnnnnddddd there's my problem. I'm getting overwhelmed with choices and decision paralysis. 5c is powerful and there's so many impressive things I want to do that I'm getting serious FOMO if I don't do all of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”