Guild Decks

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

So back when the guild decks were released back in 2018/2019 I bought all 10 in hopes to convert them to EDH decks. felt they could be of similar power with no guild truly overshadowing the others. to further expand in this each Land base will be exactly the same (With teh exception of colors)
Dual
Shock
Fetch
Pain
Filter
Check
Gate
Bounce
Command Tower
Terramorphic expanse
Evolving wilds
and basics
(Maybe one or two more utility lands)

I feel the best way to make the decks fair is to have the fair land base. he rest of the deck Is restricted to Ravnica sets. Much like how the guild decks were restricted to Ravnica, so too will the deck itself.

Commanders are the guild kit Foils
Aurelia, the Warleader
Etrata, the silencer
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Izoni, Thousand-eyed
Trostani, Selesnya's voice
Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Teysa, Orzhov Scion
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Isperia, Supreme Judge
Zegana, Utopian Speaker

So using the guild kits as a skeleton, I am trying to turn them into balanced EDH decks (Against each other, not cEDH level or even finely tuned ones. I don't plan to go to my LGS and pull one out and play with the big boys, they are meant to face against each other).
So I am looking for help. Keeping in mind that the cards (after the lands) have to be from ravnica sets. I feel it is the only way to properly "Finish" a deck (Make it so new cards will not affect the deck since it is not from Ravnica)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

This seems like a fun project, but I think it'll be hard to balance them against each other only using Ravnica sets. Some guilds are just stronger than others, due to raw power and mechanical synergy. Izoni with dredgers and Varolz, the Scar-Striped seems particular beastly, but that could just be my Golgari fanboyism talking.

Gashnaw

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
This seems like a fun project, but I think it'll be hard to balance them against each other only using Ravnica sets. Some guilds are just stronger than others, due to raw power and mechanical synergy. Izoni with dredgers and Varolz, the Scar-Striped seems particular beastly, but that could just be my Golgari fanboyism talking.
I agree which is why i plan to tweak as needed. I dont want any of the greem decks to ramp which is why all land bases are essentially the same.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Have you thought about including any of the other cycles?

Not just signets, cluestones, charms and others that have the guild name included in the card name - but some of the other (less known) cycles - like the "unbalanced" cycle (mana cost XXY/XYY like Invoke the Firemind) or Hybrid rare cycle (Avatar of Discord) or better known cycles like the guild champions and guildmages (multiples of each of these cycles, so you could just include the one best for that deck if you didn;t want to use all 10 from one set).
V/R

Treamayne

Gashnaw

Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago

Not just signets, cluestones, charms and others that have the guild name included in the card name - but some of the other (less known) cycles - like the "unbalanced" cycle (mana cost XXY/XYY like Invoke the Firemind) or Hybrid rare cycle (Avatar of Discord) or better known cycles like the guild champions and guildmages (multiples of each of these cycles, so you could just include the one best for that deck if you didn;t want to use all 10 from one set).
Champions... Wiould that be the commander?

I will use guidmageas That is 3 more.for each deck

The xxy and xyy spells... I should pick them up.

Also not really rav ica. I might get seal.of the guildpact since it is a direct reference to rav oca.(not gonna cheat like that too often)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago

Also not really rav ica. I might get seal.of the guildpact since it is a direct reference to rav oca.(not gonna cheat like that too often)
Guild Champions are cards like Varolz, the Scar-Striped, Melek, Izzet Paragon, etc. they were face cards for 60 card decks for Dragon's Maze, I think. You could also use stuff like Lyzolda, the Blood Witch, Experiment Kraj and the others from OG Ravnica block, but a lot (most) of them are pretty bad. This should be a complete list.

Gashnaw

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago

Guild Champions are cards like Varolz, the Scar-Striped, Melek, Izzet Paragon, etc. they were face cards for 60 card decks for Dragon's Maze, I think. You could also use stuff like Lyzolda, the Blood Witch, Experiment Kraj and the others from OG Ravnica block, but a lot (most) of them are pretty bad. This should be a complete list.
I will probably be running or two or thee of them. I mean i plan to run all three R/U niv-mizzets. Melek will help.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
I will use guildmages That is 3 more for each deck

Here's some data on the cycles. Read as:
Cycle - Blocks or sets they appeared (Note multiple sets/blocks are not always reprints - as Niv shows. Cycles such as Guild Leaders were in three blocks, but different each block)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Guild Leaders Rav(B), RtR(B), GoR(B)
Guild Champions Rav(B), RtR(B), GoR(B)
Maze Runners DGM
Guild Lieutenants DGM
Guildmages Rav(B), RtR(B),GoR(B)
XXYY Creatures GoR(B)
Activated creatures GoR(B)
Hybrid creatures GoR(B)
Off Color Ability Rav(B), RtR(B)
Off Color Boost Rav(B),
Guild XXY Rav(B),
Guild XYY Rav(B),
Guild Artifacts Rav(B),
Guild Keyword (Common) Rav(B), DGM, GoR(B)
Guild Spells (Uncommon) WAR
Guild Spells (Mythic) DGM
Guild Hybrid (Common) Rav(B), RtR(B)
Guild Hybrid (Rare) Rav(B),
Guild Spells (Uncommon) RtR(B)
Guild Spells (Rare) RtR(B)
Split Cards (Uncommon) GoR(B)
Split Cards (Rare) GoR(B)
Fuse Cards (Uncommon) DGM
Fuse Cards (Rare) DGM
Guild charms RtR(B)
Signets Rav(B)
Cluestones DGM
Keyrunes RtR(B)
Lockets GoR(B)
Bounce Lands Rav(B),
Guildgates RtR(B), DGM, GoR(B)
Guildhalls Rav(B),
Shock lands Rav(B), RtR(B), GoR(B)
Wiki URLs with more data and card lists:
- Ravnica block features 11 10-card guild mega cycles and one 20-card guild mega cycle (the "imbalanced gold card" cycle) distributed across Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, and Dissension.

- Return to Ravnica block features six 10-card guild mega cycle, with one card per guild, distributed across Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash.
-- Dragon's Maze itself features 10-card guild cycles.

- Guilds of Ravnica block has twelve cycles, two of which are reprints and one of which is printed twice within the set.

- War of the Spark
V/R

Treamayne

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”