"Egg Token" Commanders

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

To clarify, I'm not talking about Atla Palani, Nest Tender here. The term "Egg" works for small artifacts that could be sacrificed for benefits. I'm not sure if it's used on Treasure/Clue/Food tokens, so I'm calling them "Egg Tokens".

As WotC tries to improve W/R ramping and card draw, we've been getting quite a bit of cards that create Egg Tokens, and some legends can do additional stuff with them, which makes me want to make an Egg Token deck.

I'm having trouble choosing my next leader though. Alibou, Ancient Witness has the aggression, Galazeth Prismari brings Urza to fold (trying my best to avoid him though), Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith rocks with partner versatility, Prosper, Tome-Bound is ahead in drawing and removal, etc. What do you folks think?

EDIT: Creating lists of cards for reference on "bauble" token friendly cards. Will look into Strixhaven for other cards.
Single Color
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Cyberium 2 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
To clarify, I'm not talking about Atla Palani, Nest Tender here. The term "Egg" works for small artifacts that could be sacrificed for benefits. I'm not sure if it's used on Treasure/Clue/Food tokens, so I'm calling them "Egg Tokens".
I prefer calling these types of tokens "baubles" (since there is an actual "egg token")...
I'm having trouble choosing my next leader though. Alibou, Ancient Witness has the aggression, Galazeth Prismari brings Urza to fold (trying my best to avoid him though), Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith rocks with partner versatility, Prosper, Tome-Bound is ahead in drawing and removal, etc. What do you folks think?
Well, first I would think you need to limit the concept a bit. Are you interested in pursuing a "spells" direction (e.g. Prosper, Tome-Bound plays well with rebound and suspend), artifacts, permanents in general, combat, etc.

Also, do you want to be focused on new(er) Generals, or are you willing to consider older Generals (e.g. Sydri, Galvanic Genius) that enable new tech in the 99? Do you want to consider (or avoid) shenanigans like Revel in Riches?

Adding U gets you more clue and investigate options; whereas R gets you more treasure options.
UW gets you things like Niko Aris
UB gets you Tezzeret the Schemer (and the other Tezz options)
UR for Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer and the various Saheeli incarnations
RB for Kalain, Reclusive Painter, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, and Asmo
RW for Forging the Tyrite Sword

For partners, direct support seems to be some combination of: - though, of course, you could use any one of them with a different partner to get the colors you want.

If it were me making a deck like this, I would probably want to lean toward combat to get things like: Which leans toward Mardu, Boros or Rakdos. outside of the partners discussed above, my shortlist would be:
Queen Marchesa
Mathas, Fiend Seeker
Extus, Oriq Overlord//Awaken the Blood Avatar
Greven, Predator Captain
Juri, Master of the Revue
Alibou, Ancient Witness
Osgir, the Reconstructor

Just food for thought...
V/R

Treamayne

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Kykar, Wind's Fury seems like a solid one to use.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Mmm, Dargo, the Shipwrecker using Treasures to pay for {3} always seemed neat.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Cyberium

First of all, thank you all for replying.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
I prefer calling these types of tokens "baubles" (since there is an actual "egg token")...
Makes sense. :3
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago

Well, first I would think you need to limit the concept a bit.
*screams in indecision*
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
Are you interested in pursuing a "spells" direction (e.g. Prosper, Tome-Bound plays well with rebound and suspend), artifacts, permanents in general, combat, etc.
I'm partial to Ghirapur Aether Grid, so probably needs red, and I also want to exploit other tokens like Bloodforged Battle-Axe and Rock because they can multiply. After some brainstorming, I might make a deck that has sufficient equipment in it to more combat oriented, at the same time using cards like Grif and Inspiring Statuary to ensure they have additional benefits.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
Also, do you want to be focused on new(er) Generals, or are you willing to consider older Generals (e.g. Sydri, Galvanic Genius) that enable new tech in the 99?
I tried Sydri before, she's very good at LD, though though I'm not sure how she might work with the "baubles".
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
Do you want to consider (or avoid) shenanigans like Revel in Riches?

Adding U gets you more clue and investigate options; whereas R gets you more treasure options.
UW gets you things like Niko Aris
UB gets you Tezzeret the Schemer (and the other Tezz options)
UR for Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer and the various Saheeli incarnations
RB for Kalain, Reclusive Painter, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, and Asmo
RW for Forging the Tyrite Sword
Haven't thought about Niko's tokens, interesting idea. If I want to use more equipment, the deck will likely lean towards W/R and add either U or B. The first Mardu I think of is Queen Marchesa (Long May She Reign), and for Jeskai there's Kykar, Wind's Fury et al.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
For partners, direct support seems to be some combination of: - though, of course, you could use any one of them with a different partner to get the colors you want.
Grixis would make an interesting approach...
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
If it were me making a deck like this, I would probably want to lean toward combat to get things like: Which leans toward Mardu, Boros or Rakdos. outside of the partners discussed above, my shortlist would be:
Queen Marchesa
Mathas, Fiend Seeker
Extus, Oriq Overlord//Awaken the Blood Avatar
Greven, Predator Captain
Juri, Master of the Revue
Alibou, Ancient Witness
Osgir, the Reconstructor
Mayhem Devil is yet another reason why I'm undecided.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
Just food for thought...
lol. Well, so the perimeter is set. I want r, with some combat involved, so it can be:

1) Jeskai: Clue/Treasure and artifact searches.
2) Mardu: Mostly treasure, though damage+draining makes it the most harmful combo.
3) Grixis: Losing much of the combat ability, but gains all the tricks and black tutors.

EDIT: 4) Rakdos: Prosper is awesome, extra "draw" that doubles as ramp makes him an ideal bauble leader. He also has this sub theme of stealing spells from opponents.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

One of the techniques I use for bottom-up deckbuilding, when I am trying to decide on a CI/strategy, is I create piles of the core maybe-board, then compare side by side to see which "set" seems more fun/interesting. Below is an rough example of what I mean (based on theme-core only) of Jeskai vs Mardu:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Jeskai_V_Mardu.jpg
For me, it makes it easier to "compare" stacks 1 and 2 (Jeskai in this example) with stacks 2 and 3 (Mardu in this example).

YMMV
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
I tried Sydri before, she's very good at LD, though though I'm not sure how she might work with the "baubles".
Not sure about LD, but I use her to Command my Vehicles deck (so I can animate with Crew or her U ability - Deathtouching, lifelinking vehicles are fun too)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sydri_Vehicles.jpg
V/R

Treamayne

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Gyome, Master Chef is the natural fit. He makes food on his own and can go haywire with a Cauldron Familiar and an Academy Manufactor (and a sac outlet). It's not infinite, but it is a crapton of stuff.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Akiri, Line-Slinger and a blue partner (Sakashima of a Thousand Faces or Esior, Wardwing Familiar for more Voltron, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator for more treasures) works quite well. Akiri really profits from baubles and artifact tokens, but she wants them to stick around.

My Akiri & Sakashima deck uses the voltron approach, but is really straightforward. It seems like you want something with more shenanigans.

You should take a look at Toshi's mono-W Teshar list, it's full fun synergies and looks like a blast to play.

Cyberium

Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
One of the techniques I use for bottom-up deckbuilding, when I am trying to decide on a CI/strategy, is I create piles of the core maybe-board, then compare side by side to see which "set" seems more fun/interesting. Below is an rough example of what I mean (based on theme-core only) of Jeskai vs Mardu:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Jeskai_V_Mardu.jpg
For me, it makes it easier to "compare" stacks 1 and 2 (Jeskai in this example) with stacks 2 and 3 (Mardu in this example).

YMMV
Perhaps I should create lists in this thread as well, just for visual compare and contrast. It will be enjoyable.

Come to think about, I haven't considered Temur artifact deck. I recall seeing Animar, Soul of Elements artifact deck before.
cheonice wrote:
2 years ago
Akiri, Line-Slinger and a blue partner (Sakashima of a Thousand Faces or Esior, Wardwing Familiar for more Voltron, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator for more treasures) works quite well. Akiri really profits from baubles and artifact tokens, but she wants them to stick around.

My Akiri & Sakashima deck uses the voltron approach, but is really straightforward. It seems like you want something with more shenanigans.

You should take a look at Toshi's mono-W Teshar list, it's full fun synergies and looks like a blast to play.
Thx for the list. I will definitely try it out. But yes, I'm trying to add as many diverse wincons as possible into my deck.

Cyberium

Added lists of cards. Please let me know if there's anything missing. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”