Zedruu the Greatest of All Time

Larken
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Larken » 4 months ago

Ryujin76 wrote:
4 months ago
1) You have already pointed out that signets can fix coloured mana better than the talismans, but another consideration is that the life loss from the talismans can be detrimental when performing Jeskai Ascendancy and artifact animation synergies.
Yeah, I figured the life loss each activation to make colored mana was the Talisman downside.
I appreciate the synergy comments because I am not yet familiar with them all.
Ryujin76 wrote:
4 months ago
2) The incomplete land cycles in tstorms list is (probably) to account for the fact that his list is heavier on the blue pips (gotta cast that Mind Over Matter). The lack of bond lands is (also probably) personal preference. I see no harm in adding them in if you have them in your collection.
I wasn't thinking about it in terms of blue mana, thanks for pointing that out.
It's obvious now that you have mentioned it! :-)
Ryujin76 wrote:
4 months ago
3) The manlands play well with the aforementioned Jeskai Ascendancy. Other synergy pieces include Mirrorweave and Vanish into Memory. Restless Anchorage and Restless Spire are the two that I run in my own list. Restless Bivouac and by extension Needle Spires are fine cards, but it really depends on your list and mana pip distribution. First and foremost, these lands should help with your mana, the man part of manlands is just an extra synergy angle.
Ah, I see; that makes sense.
And so Restless Anchorage and Restless Spire, being the blue-producing targets, are desirable. Is there a link to your list buried in the tread, too?

Tags:

Larken

Post by Larken » 4 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 months ago
Primarily, I just never acquired them. I've sometimes compared getting optimal dual lands for this deck to greasing the axles of a K'nex car, we're not running so efficient as to be worth the effort. That being said, if you have them and want to run them over something like Deserted Beach and Stormcarved Coast, that's probably an upgrade.
I guess it just matters how often this deck is in the final two. Tapped mana early is usually preferable to tapped mana later.

Building a manabase is basically the only thing I am any good at in commander, and I am a fan of bond and slow lands. It seems shock lands aren't better here (no fetches, so the life loss is all downside), and I always avoid OG duals (be the change you want to see, and all that). Check, pain, and horizon lands also seem to be downgrades for various reasons.

What about Decanter of Endless Water? I know two-drop rocks are preferred here, and Thought Vessel isn't included due to colorless mana. What shenanigans does Relic of Legends enable to make it more desirable?

I registered so I could say thanks, and I really appreciate all the answers!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

Relic of Legends let you tap any legendary creatures you control for mana every time you get a Jeskai's Ascendency trigger for added mana generation. With a few legends in play they can become the mana dorks you need to keep the chain going. Assuming that is the goal.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 months ago

@Larken in addition to Jeskai Ascendancy, Relic of Legends makes infinite mana if you loop Sakashima Detention Sphere flickers.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Ryujin76

Post by Ryujin76 » 4 months ago

Larken wrote:
4 months ago
Ah, I see; that makes sense.
And so Restless Anchorage and Restless Spire, being the blue-producing targets, are desirable. Is there a link to your list buried in the tread, too?
I haven't posted my list here before, here ya go https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3NI4LEO_O0KhlB_gx3WOdg

I argue that theres nothing too interesting though, since my list is almost a carbon copy of tstorm's list with the most notable difference being that I don't run Mind Over Matter cause I don't own a copy. Thus I'm able to run Kwain, Itinerant Meddler and Temple Bell.

Larken

Post by Larken » 3 months ago

Thank you all for the responses.
I have a lot to learn!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 3 months ago

So I've done some testing of the things from the recent pages. I wanted to try a counters package. For all of the recent tries, I swapped March of the Machines out for Rise and Shine, and then I cut out Displacer Kitten, Cavalier of Dawn, and Cursed Mirror for some combination of All Will Be One, Agatha's Soul Cauldron, Archangel of Thune, and Ioreth of the Healing House.

The high point was Rise and Shine. It's been repeatedly useful even just for 2 mana, I had one exceptionally slick turn where Saheeli, Sublime Artificer was in play, and I cast Pentad Prism to use that mana for Crystalline Crawler to use two counters to Rise and Shine on the Prism and then Saheeli make the Prism a Crawler with 4 +1/+1 counters. 4 mana turned into 6 to cast Mind's Desire with storm count 3 and a few extra servos for the trouble. I may make this change permanent. I'll be sad to not have the disruption from March of the Machines, but both isn't justified, and Rise and Shine is pretty neat, and I haven't even gotten to Mirrorweave things with it yet.

Ioreth of the Healing House is fine, the floor of a mana dork is super high though. That's only counters related cause of Agatha's Soul Cauldron though. She's definitely friends with Cadric, Soul Kindler. Cadric's legend rule stopping ability came up with Ioreth and Replication Technique, getting to keep multiples there is neat. I was sad to realize I couldn't mutate onto her to make copies (she's human), but then I realized none of them would be legendary, so they wouldn't combo anyway.

All Will Be One and Archangel of Thune performed very similarly in that they were 5-drops that sat in my hand until I could already win the game anyways., and I already have Barren Glory for that. Agatha's Soul Cauldron was even more dissappointing than that. First time I played it out early, and then the Naya player played Aura Shards before it did anything. Next time I held onto it until there were graveyards to eat, and the Grixis player countered it. It was collateral damage to a Farewell. And then the time I finally have it set up to do something, I kill my own Ioreth of the Healing House and target it with Cauldron, it eats a Putrefy. I have not done the thing with it yet, and probably won't try again. Agatha's Soul Cauldron is a tough card to play not because it's lacking, but because of how people treat it, and I should have known that would be the case, one of my issues with Rest in Peace has always been it eating removal spells aggressively. People do not like graveyard hate sitting there staring at them, I guess it's a bit like the issues I pointed to with Starke of Rath.

So i don't think I'm going to stick with the counters payoffs, but that's ok, cause the reason I wanted something like Agatha's Soul Cauldron is to combo with Mirror of Fate, and Mines of Moria does that most excellently. I do want another way to interact with graveyards, and after much searching, I rediscovered my old friend Stonecloaker, and I think this is the droid I'm looking for, as long as I don't run into a way to 3-card combo with it. The cut here is Venser, Shaper Savant if I want to keep Cadric, Soul Kindler and Ioreth of the Healing House together.

There are a bunch of combos Stonecloaker completes that I've found already, and if I add it to the deck permanently I'll have to type them all out eventually, but my favorite so far is infinite mana with Stonecloaker/Lore Drakkis /Vedalken Orrery/Turnabout. Vedalken Orrery lets you mutate Drakkis on Stonecloaker in response to the bounce trigger, and then both return to hand.

Then the rest is just competing for space, cause I still kinda like Cursed Mirror and Cavalier (and a big white mythic creature in general), and also want to play Scheming Fence with Pendant of Prosperity, but also Chaos Warp, and I haven't tried The Everflowing Well // The Myriad Pools yet. So I currently have 8 cards competing for 4 spaces if I don't cut anything else currently in the deck. Or 9, cause I sort of want to redirect infinite damage with 2 Ioreths and Razia, Boros Archangel.

Ryujin76

Post by Ryujin76 » 3 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
as long as I don't run into a way to 3-card combo with it.
I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I have recently encountered a 3-card with Cadric, Soul Kindler, Sakashima the Impostor copying cadric and Ioreth of the Healing House. 3 hasty Ioreths for 13 mana. I'll probably just accept the 3-card infinite mana combo for now and see how I feel about it after more playing. Vizier of Tumbling Sands would probably be what I'll slot in over Ioreth if I want a non-infinite replacement.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Ryujin76 wrote:
3 months ago
I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I have recently encountered a 3-card with Cadric, Soul Kindler, Sakashima the Impostor and Ioreth of the Healing House. 3 hasty Ioreths for 13 mana. I'll probably just accept the 3-card combo for now and see how I feel about it after more playing. Vizier of Tumbling Sands would probably be what I'll slot in if I want a non-infinite replacement.
I am aware of this, and I consider no party pooped, I have always considered 3-card infinite mana acceptable. For anyone not seeing the infinite:

Have Cadric, Soul Kindler in play.
Cast Sakashima the Impostor, copy Cadric, pay for the Cadric trigger to make a token third Cadric.
Cast Ioreth of the Healing House, pay for all 3 Cadric triggers, make 3 hasty Ioreths.
One Ioreth untaps any permanent, the other two untap the first Ioreth and each other repeatedly. At minimum, this makes infinite mana with lands. 3 cards, infinite mana (or untaps of permanents).

This is not terribly different than the first infinite mana combo I ever used in here, Sacred Ground/Price of Glory/Zedruu the Greathearted. 3 cards together make infinite mana. But like, the game isn't over. Infinite mana isn't a win condition. That's actually why I added Barren Glory to the deck, because infinite mana with Zedruu turns Barren Glory into a win condition. If you have Cadric, Sakashima, Ioreth, you can make infinite mana, but if that's all you have it fizzles to nothing at the end of the turn without a spout. That's also true of Bonus Round/Turnabout/Narset's Reversal, you get infinite storm and infinite mana, and if you don't have a spout that turn the game keeps going and the infinite combo is over. Having infinite mana lets you cast draw spells to look for a spout if you have those instead, but the list of game ending 4th cards is rather small:

For clarity, here is the list of things I play (excluding Venser, Shaper Savant) that could singularly end a 4-person game with the board described above:

1) Mikokoro, Center of the Sea (everyone draws infinite, draw and cast Angel's Grace on the way by.
2) Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun can stack loot activations to find the spout you need, requires a card in hand.
3) Walking Archive put infinite counters to make everyone die on their upkeeps
4) Barren Glory donate every other permanent with Zedruu, which you have guaranteed with infinite mana
5) Pandemonium with Cadrics and infinite mana, cast Zedruu, pay to make the token copies, aim the Pandemonium damage at Zedruu to destroy her and send her back to the command zone, commander tax doesn't matter cause you have infinite mana, attack with infinite Zedruus (or just aim some direct damage at people, but that's not nearly as fun).
6) If I add it, Stonecloaker bounces Sakashima the Impostor, cast Sakashima copying nothing, make two Cadric Sakashimas, have one copy Stonecloaker to bounce the original Sakashima, attack with infinite Sakashima's.

That's the whole list to my knowledge. So we need 3 specific cards (no substitutions available for those 3 legends), and 1 of 6 for the last one. For comparison, we can consider Arcbond combo, one of the 4-pieces required for that, a way to copy Arcbond, also has 6 ways to fill that slot. And 2 of the other 3 pieces are much more flexible than what we're talking about here. If you've never felt Arcbond combos were too strong, I don't think you'll feel an issue with this one.

This is different than with Cadric, Soul Kindler, Ioreth of the Healing House, and Venser, Shaper Savant because those 3 cards (with enough mana) actually do end the game. You not only make infinite mana with Ioreths, you make infinite Vensers and Ioreths that can just attack with haste and the game ends. It does not require another card to be the spout.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 3 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
Ioreth of the Healing House is fine.....I was sad to realize I couldn't mutate onto her to make copies (she's human), but then I realized none of them would be legendary, so they wouldn't combo anyway.
Weeelllll..... technically you can change her to something else with Mirrorweave tricks and THEN mutete her with Lore Drakkis and choose to either keep Lore Drakkis on top, so that after the Mirrorweave effect is gone she wont be legendary but further mutations can apply, or keep Ioreth on top, so that after the Mirrorweave effect is gone she will still be legendary, but a human that keeps its mutations but cant be mutated any further. Or, you know, introduce a legendary mutation into the mix (hi Vadrok, Apex of Thunder).
tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
All Will Be One......
I feel that AWB1 can be a great card that can be played as soon as you draw it, provided you have your entire deck built around counters. Not just a few shenanigans. I mean adding things like Vexing Puzzlebox, etc. The card is powerful, but it needs solid investment deckbuildingwise.
tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
...a big white mythic creature in general)...
...I sort of want to redirect infinite damage with 2 Ioreths and Razia, Boros Archangel....
At this point I would like to present a monowhite redirect dmg combo that I have discovered and executed successfully, though not in my Zedruu list.
It requires a Martyrdom effect (either from that card or an En-Kor creature), Phyrexian Vindicator, Equal Treatment and somehing to deal at least 1 dmg for the combo to start. The combo goes as this: Cast Equal Treatment. With something that pings for 1 you can target an En-Kor creature/something of yours that has Martyrdom for 1 point of damage. Use En-Kor's/creature with Martyrdom's 0 mana ability to redirect the damage infinite times to a Phyrexian Vindicator. And always choose to redirect the dmg from Vindicator back to the Martyrdom creature for a full loop of infinite 1 dmg. But because of the Equal Treatment, the damage gets doubled with each loop, thus it will be an infinite loop of a trillion 1 dmg going around. At some point send that dmg to your opponents with the Vindicator. Basically the dmg is keep getting doubled by Equal Treatment and the Martyrdom/En-Kor redirect ability splits all dmg into many instances of 1.
I do think of adding it to my Zedruu and bring back the Arcbond package with it.
Zedruu already has cards that can jumpstart the combo with dmg, Vindicator is a big creature that helps Nykthos and has Arcbond Applications, Equal Treatment has additional infinites with the usual Turnabout variants (since it cantrips), and Martyrdom can also have many applications with Arcbond. All the cards are also useful on their own.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Dakkon Blackblade Miracles Control
Teneb, the Harvester Pestilence
Soul of Windgrace Loam Balance
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
3 months ago
I feel that AWB1 can be a great card that can be played as soon as you draw it, provided you have your entire deck built around counters. Not just a few shenanigans. I mean adding things like Vexing Puzzlebox, etc. The card is powerful, but it needs solid investment deckbuildingwise.
Agreed. It is fine in a deck like this as a finisher like Barren Glory if it's the card you want to play in that slot, but also has the potential to be much more with more deck space dedicated to abusing it.
I do think of adding it to my Zedruu and bring back the Arcbond package with it.
Zedruu already has cards that can jumpstart the combo with dmg, Vindicator is a big creature that helps Nykthos and has Arcbond Applications, Equal Treatment has additional infinites with the usual Turnabout variants (since it cantrips), and Martyrdom can also have many applications with Arcbond. All the cards are also useful on their own.
How dare you! I already have trouble with finding space, and you tempt me with a combo with effectively two Fogs in it!

And Martyrdom is really funny with Swans of Bryn Argoll.

Ryujin76

Sefir wrote:
3 months ago
It requires a Martyrdom effect (either from that card or an En-Kor creature), Phyrexian Vindicator, Equal Treatment and somehing to deal at least 1 dmg for the combo to start.
Man, those are some cards huh, thank you for bringing them to my attention as I'm confidant I would have gone my life without knowing they existed. I have a Brash Taunter eagerly waiting in my sideboard.

Martyrdom effects let you become Cephalid Breakfast via Cephalid Illusionist but that's no fun. The fact that Martyrdom lets you target any creature, player or planeswalker gives it more interactions compared to the En-Kor creatures.

Aside from the infinites mentioned with Equal Treatment, I really like how it can just mess up combat math. Fogging big creatures or making all 1 power attackers suddenly do 2 instead.

I just finished refactoring my Zedruu list too... guess it's time to go back into the thinking tank.

Zyren
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Zyren » 3 months ago

I like all of this counters talk :) You really do need to go all in for counters to be effective. Here's my current list that I've been running. Will be playing it again Sunday when i get together with a few friends.

I have Chrome Host Seedshark. Deekah, Fractal Theorist, AND Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper in this list to help with the consistency of getting counters. Saheeli is absolutely crazy in this list. The artifact lands have a lot of synergy in this deck. Saheeli can turn them into any creature or artifact. Noyan dar can turn them into indestructible creatures. The new restless manlands are also really nice with noyan dar.

One funny interaction I had was using shabraz to give a buffed up river song flying and attack so she couldn't be blocked.

Zedruu counters

Commander(1)

Approximate Total Cost:

agbo

Post by agbo » 3 months ago

They gave us Barren Birb

Sefir

agbo wrote:
3 months ago
They gave us Barren Birb
You beat me to it. I really like it and I will 100% try it! My usual Zedruu lines are to play and gift our stuff one by one to both incrementally increase our draw each turn AND leave mana open for Zedruu to play stuff and be ready for interaction. The bird needs to be played from a little bit different perspective, perhaps disguise it at the end of our opponents turn, gifting a number of -useful or not- permanents and make us draw from both it and Zedruu at our turn, thus giving us a massive CA boost in the mid-to late game. Like an instant speed Sea-Gate Restoration. And obviously the Barren Glory synergy is chef's kiss. Taking back things like Bucknard's Everfull Purse, Hithlain Rope, Pendant of Prosperity, Coveted Jewel or even Gilded Drake and re-use them is an added bonus.
Sliver Queen Enchantress

jjjrrrgggnnn

Post by jjjrrrgggnnn » 3 months ago

Is there any way the new disguise mechanic has an abusable interaction with transform cards, can we turbo flip Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun somehow?

Sefir

jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
3 months ago
Is there any way the new disguise mechanic has an abusable interaction with transform cards, can we turbo flip Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun somehow?
From the official magic judge rules blog back in 2011:

"Flipping cards over is not a new thing in Magic–the morph mechanic has been around since the Onslaught block. However, turning a card face-down is very different from transforming a double-faced card. These two effects are very different and do not interact at all (in fact, it's impossible to ever turn a double-faced card face-down).

Transform means to turn a double-faced card over to reveal the other side. This isn't a zone change–it simply changes that permanent's characteristics (usually means a new name, types, abilities, P/T, and mana cost/lack thereof). No matter which face is showing, the card is always "face-up."

Morph is a keyword mechanic that allows you to cast a card face-down as a 2/2 creature. Additionally, there are a few effects that allow you to look at a face-down creature, turn a face-down creature face-up, or turn a face-up creature face-down."
Sliver Queen Enchantress

Ryujin76

Sefir wrote:
3 months ago
jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
3 months ago
From the official magic judge rules blog back in 2011:

"Flipping cards over is not a new thing in Magic–the morph mechanic has been around since the Onslaught block. However, turning a card face-down is very different from transforming a double-faced card. These two effects are very different and do not interact at all (in fact, it's impossible to ever turn a double-faced card face-down).

Transform means to turn a double-faced card over to reveal the other side. This isn't a zone change–it simply changes that permanent's characteristics (usually means a new name, types, abilities, P/T, and mana cost/lack thereof). No matter which face is showing, the card is always "face-up."

Morph is a keyword mechanic that allows you to cast a card face-down as a 2/2 creature. Additionally, there are a few effects that allow you to look at a face-down creature, turn a face-down creature face-up, or turn a face-up creature face-down."
Yep, unfortunately transform and flipping are two different things in magic. For completeness, if you were to copy a face-down creature (morph, disguise, manifest, etc.), the copy would be considered a face-up card with all the copiable values of the face-down card. Example, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer turns an Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun into a disguised card. The Azor's Gateway would be a face-up 2/2 creature with ward 2 and have no colour, name and creature type. From what I understand, a card being face-down or face-up is not a copiable value.

In new spoilers, Expedited Inheritance has me interested as swans no. 2. I have been looking to workshop more "cast from exile" cards into my list to fuel Quintorius Kand. Plus, it will give me more reason to try out the previously discussed Martyrdom. My only real qualm with the card is that the exile is a may effect, so i'm unable to mill my opponents out, but I suppose you can only ask so much from a 2 mana enchantment.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

It's one of my Magic rules complaints that you can't turn a double-faced card face down, not because I think they should transform, but because you should always be able to give any card a proper card back, since that is required to have the card in your deck to begin with.

Yes, the bird is good. Having the draw part of the card not be the attack trigger means it can be 5 mana draw like 10 cards immediately even without any specific synergies. If I remember my morph rules correctly, people shouldn't be able to kill it in response either.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
If I remember my morph rules correctly, people shouldn't be able to kill it in response either.
Correct. Or at least, to get specific, the first time they can respond is when the donate ability is on the stack, so it doesn't matter if they kill it then because it's happening anyway.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

I have found my card from the set that will either be true love or cratering disappointment:

To start, the limitations here are perfect for avoiding accidental combos: it's turn limited, it requires a card to be exiled to do anything so only Mirror of Fate (or similar effects) could turn it into a loop, and it's casting copies (rather than cards) so it can never go two-card bananas with Eye of the Storm. And despite the many limitations (which I am thankful for), the possibilities are deep.

Level 1 uses:
  • Steal people's spells: almost any instant or sorcery can be copied after it resolves.
  • Protect my things: this can bring back something that got destroyed this turn.
  • Disrupt the graveyard deck: if they bin something and try to reanimate in the same turn, this fizzles them and steals the thing.
Level 2 synergies:
  • Become the reanimator deck: any discard outlet can set up cheating the cost of our bombs, most at instant speed.
  • Double doomsday with Mirror of Fate: this exiles the Mirror in response, makes a second Mirror, and puts the original back in the deck for a third activation down the road.
  • Use this as a Fork: get a second cast out of Arcbond or Turnabout
Level 3 nonsense!:
  • Mind's Desire: If you resolve Mind's Desire, it likely goes to your graveyard. If you exile Reenact the Crime with Mind's Desire, you can Reenact Mind's Desire with (at minimum) 2 higher storm count because it casts the copy. I've got things that Mind's Desire can hit to bounce it back and storm again, but only if I pay 6 mana again. I've got things that can copy Mind's Desire, but they don't copy the storm. And the only card previously that would reset Mind's Desire from the graveyard is Lore Drakkis, which can't do that if you are casting it for free. This is a card that can be slammed down off of Mind's Desire and cast a second one free of charge.
  • Bonus Round: Again, recasting is better than copying in this case. Bonus Round into Reenact it is double extra Bonus Round for quadruple spells. I'm imagining something like Bonus Round into double Turnabout into double reenact to cast double Bonus Round and Quadruple Turnabout, then quadruple Sea Gate Restoration draws 15X+15 cards, where X is the number of cards left in hand, and then either Angel's Grace or try to win with drawing to death on the stack.

Zyren

Post by Zyren » 3 months ago

Reenact the Crime + Pull from Eternity allows you to do some fun stuff as well. its not quite infinite with Eye of the Storm, unless there's a 4-5 card combo that can make it work.

Ryujin76

Zyren wrote:
3 months ago
Reenact the Crime + Pull from Eternity allows you to do some fun stuff as well. its not quite infinite with Eye of the Storm, unless there's a 4-5 card combo that can make it work.
Assuming an Eye of the Storm with a Reenact the Crime and Pull from Eternity already exiled with it.

Cast Instant/Sorcery 1, trigger EotS to exile it and cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 1, moving it into the graveyard.
Cast Instant/Sorcery 2, trigger EotS to exile it and cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 2, and Reenact exiling and casting a copy of Instant/Sorcery 1.
EotS triggers from the Reenact cast. Then we cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 1 and Reenact targeting Instant/Sorcery 2.
EotS triggers from the Reenact cast. Then we cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 2 and Reenact targeting Instant/Sorcery 1.
Repeat Ad Nauseum
Edit: Derp, EotS exiles the copy of the Instant/Sorcery, so no infinite Instant/Sorcery 1s and 2s like Initially thought. Well, it is still infinite storm and cast from exile I suppose, which Quintorius Kand likes.
Edit Edit: I guess it is also infinite if you had anything else inside the EotS, lovingly named Instant/Sorcery 0.
Edit Edit Edit: See tstorm's post below for why this doesn't work

Seems fun. I had initially glazed over Reenact the Crime with an 'eh', but tstorms post made me reevaluate it. I had missed the fact that it could target from any graveyard, and that it cast a copy of the exiled card. I'm a big fan of cards that can serve double duty as both combo pieces and interaction, so this is yet another card that will hound my deck for cuts in the foreseeable future.

I was looking into trying Throes of Chaos and Zoyowa's Justice in a "spellslinger", "cast from exile matters" version as they provide two spell casts for one card and Reenact fits right into that grouping of cards.
Last edited by Ryujin76 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Ryujin76 wrote:
3 months ago
Assuming an Eye of the Storm with a Reenact the Crime and Pull from Eternity already exiled with it.

Cast Instant/Sorcery 1, trigger EotS to exile it and cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 1, moving it into the graveyard.
Cast Instant/Sorcery 2, trigger EotS to exile it and cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 2, and Reenact exiling and casting a copy of Instant/Sorcery 1.
EotS triggers from the Reenact cast. Then we cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 1 and Reenact targeting Instant/Sorcery 2.
EotS triggers from the Reenact cast. Then we cast Pull targeting Instant/Sorcery 2 and Reenact targeting Instant/Sorcery 1.
Repeat Ad Nauseum

Seems fun. I had initially glazed over Reenact the Crime with an 'eh', but tstorms post made me reevaluate it. I had missed the fact that it could target from any graveyard, and that it cast a copy of the exiled card. I'm a big fan of cards that can serve double duty as both combo pieces and interaction, so this is yet another card that will hound my deck for cuts in the foreseeable future.

I was looking into trying Throes of Chaos and Zoyowa's Justice in a "spellslinger", "cast from exile matters" version as they provide two spell casts for one card and Reenact fits right into that grouping of cards.
The trick that keeps you from free-casting any number of spells that hit your graveyard this turn is that Reenact the Crime casts a copy of the card, and a copy of a card is not itself a card, and Eye of the Storm only triggers when you cast an instant or sorcery card, so the reenacted spell wont trigger Eye.

The funny thing with Pull from Eternity is that Reenact the Crime can exile Pull to cast a copy of pull targeting Pull to pull it back into the graveyard accomplishing nothing but casting 3 spells. If this weren't singleton, you could Bonus Round, then Reenact Bonus Round, then Reenact Reenact with Bonus Round triggers on the stack, then Pull Reenact, and make a loop where you Reenact Reenact to Reenact Pull to Pull Pull and Pull Reenact to Reenact Reenact some more... I'm not sure I recommend pursuing this, but it's funny to ponder.

In the laziest way, this combos with Eye of the Storm/Mind's Desire/Mirror of Fate, as any spell that can exile Mirror in response to itself does. The copy part there is a non-factor. In a non-infinite sense, this definitely goes with the "multiple casts from exile spellslinger" theme, that is definitely true.

Ryujin76

tstorm823 wrote:
3 months ago
The trick that keeps you from free-casting any number of spells that hit your graveyard this turn is that Reenact the Crime casts a copy of the card, and a copy of a card is not itself a card, and Eye of the Storm only triggers when you cast an instant or sorcery card, so the reenacted spell wont trigger Eye.

The funny thing with Pull from Eternity is that Reenact the Crime can exile Pull to cast a copy of pull targeting Pull to pull it back into the graveyard accomplishing nothing but casting 3 spells. If this weren't singleton, you could Bonus Round, then Reenact Bonus Round, then Reenact Reenact with Bonus Round triggers on the stack, then Pull Reenact, and make a loop where you Reenact Reenact to Reenact Pull to Pull Pull and Pull Reenact to Reenact Reenact some more... I'm not sure I recommend pursuing this, but it's funny to ponder.

In the laziest way, this combos with Eye of the Storm/Mind's Desire/Mirror of Fate, as any spell that can exile Mirror in response to itself does. The copy part there is a non-factor. In a non-infinite sense, this definitely goes with the "multiple casts from exile spellslinger" theme, that is definitely true.
Dang it. For whatever reason, Eye of the Storm is just that card where I keep learning and then forgetting that it specifies "card". Thanks for the quick reply correcting my mistake. The lazy combo you mentioned was also something that didn't cross my mind.

I wish I could blame it being early where I am, but I'm confidant that it's just me being hazy on all the lines that come from running all these weird cards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”