void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL May Top 9/Round 3

"A Sudden End"

Rout, taken from Art of MtG, by Igor Kieryluk and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Instant Month here in the CCL - this month will be all about various things done at instant speed.

Challenge
Design an instant card or a card with flash that has "destroy" in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Flatline
@bravelion83
@Venedrex
@Ink-Treader
@dangerousdice
@netn10
@RaikouRider
Your submissions are due Wednesday, May 26th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 23rd–26th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 29th–June 1st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 3rd)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Reduce to Sand WBG
Instant {R}
Destroy target permanent. If that permanent is a land, its controller creates Wastes, a basic land token with "T: Add C" .
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Dragons' Decree 2WB
Instant (R)
Destroy target nonland permanent. If it was exactly three colors, exile it instead.
The Khans surrendered their clans to the dragons. The dragons banished the clans and their names.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Cull the Herd BG
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature that doesn't have the greatest power among creatures on the battlefield.
"Killing the weak strengthens the herd -- more resources for the strong to become stronger, and the frail do not pass their frailty on to their descendants."
-Sinvar, Game Warden
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Angelic Light 1w
Instant (U)
Target attacking or blocking creature gets +2/+2 and gains indestructible until end of turn as long as it's Human. Otherwise, destroy it.
"How will you be seen when Our Lady shines her light upon you?"
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Free All Within 3GWU
Instant (Rare)
Destroy target noncreature permanent. Draw X cards and create an X/X green, white, and blue Spirit creature token with flying, where X is that permanent's mana value.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Polish Off WB
Instant (U)
Destroy target enchanted permanent or permanent with one or more counters on it.
Cleaner.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Severed Timeline
Instant (Mythic)
Destroy target nonland permanent an opponent controls. You may put a permanent card with the same mana value as the destroyed permanent from your hand onto the battlefield under that opponent's control. If you don't, you lose the game.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Vampiric Execution
Instant (R)
Destroy target non-Human creature.
"Make sure not to harm our food supply when you secure the grounds." — Runo Stromkirk
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. Please critique everyone else.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Reduce to Sand WBG
Instant {R}
Destroy target permanent. If that permanent is a land, its controller creates Wastes, a basic land token with "T: Add C" .
No, why did you have to change this? I was in love with the previous version, and I was about to praise it in all possible ways! It was clean, elegant, in color ("destroy target permanent" is BG or WB, we know it), and original (an instant Vindicate for a more restrictive mana cost). I was looking forward to give you my first place. I had actually already decided that I would have given this my first place days ago, even before all submissions were in. Now that you added the Wastes part, it reads much worse to me, and it might not even make my top 3. Not because it doesn't work or anything like that, it does, but because I still have in mind the previous version, and in my opinion, the new one doesn't compare. I'm sorry.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Cull the Herd BG
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature that doesn't have the greatest power among creatures on the battlefield.
"Killing the weak strengthens the herd -- more resources for the strong to become stronger, and the frail do not pass their frailty on to their descendants."
-Sinvar, Game Warden
This is good, I like it. Very good flavor (mind the em dashes!) and mechanics. What's not to like about this card? I have a feeling this will be in my top 3 for sure, we'll see at which place. I have nothing else to say, so let's just move on.
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Angelic Light 1w
Instant (U)
Target attacking or blocking creature gets +2/+2 and gains indestructible until end of turn as long as it's Human. Otherwise, destroy it.
"How will you be seen when Our Lady shines her light upon you?"
This immediately reminded me of Bonds of Faith, the idea is very similar. This doesn't mean it's bad though. I could see this printed for real, probably in an Innistrad set. Again, it's probably going straight in my top 3 and I have nothing else to say, so let's move on.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Free All Within 3GWU
Instant (Rare)
Destroy target noncreature permanent. Draw X cards and create an X/X green, white, and blue Spirit creature token with flying, where X is that permanent's mana value.
I like how all three colors are represented: "destroy target noncreature permanent" is green, drawing cards blue, and the flying token is white. Caring about the destroyed card's mana value ties it all together. This is how I like three-colored cards. Nice design, but overall I like it slightly less than the previous two cards, but it's just my personal taste though. At least, I would have liked to see some flavor text.
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Polish Off WB
Instant (U)
Destroy target enchanted permanent or permanent with one or more counters on it.
Cleaner.
Ironically, reading "permanent or permanent" is not really "cleaner". I would have probably said "target permanent that's enchanted or that has one or more counters on it". Anyway, the card is fine: take two sets of targets, one white (enchanted permanents) and one black (permanents with counters) and put them together. That's fine. It's very relevant that this can automatically destroy planeswalkers, as they are permanents with (loyalty) counters.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Severed Timeline
Instant (Mythic)
Destroy target nonland permanent an opponent controls. You may put a permanent card with the same mana value as the destroyed permanent from your hand onto the battlefield under that opponent's control. If you don't, you lose the game.
White can destroy and give you some partial refund, and blue can do transformation, even though I've never liked it, as it's too close to real hard removal in blue in my opinion. It feels a little strage to me that you put your own cards onto the battlefield under an opponent's control, but I get why. Also, losing the game feels a bit too much to me, even if I get why that's there too.
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Vampiric Execution
Instant (R)
Destroy target non-Human creature.
"Make sure not to harm our food supply when you secure the grounds." — Runo Stromkirk
Ok, this is what I was looking for this round: a nice effect with just a single sentence of rules text. I really like this. I've always been a fan of good and effective two-mana removal, and we see too little of it this days in my opinion. I think I would have put this at uncommon personally, but yes, today it would probably be rare. The flavor text feels more like Sorin than Runo to me.
Top 3

1st place: Venedrex
2nd place: slimytrout
3rd place: Flatline
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Nice and flavorful package. No complaints.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Very swingy. I find cards like this tricky to evaluate. Could probably make its way into Commander and some control decks in slower formats.
Flatline
Show
Hide
Cheaper than Farm, but it does miss the most common creature type. WW might be safe. The bonus for Humans seems fair.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Cute bit of trinket text. Not technically worse than Utter End, but I can't think of too many occasions where the destruction is handier.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
I feel this should be costed BB like Victim of Night. And it certainly doesn't need to be rare.
dangerousdice
Show
Hide
No entry
netn10
Show
Hide
Can do some cute things with this, but it's tricky to plan around. I think offering it the flexibility of destroying your own stuff as well would be fine.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Add G to Vindicate for Instant speed (and a minor drawback)? Sure. Quite frankly, I think it could be changed to only give the land token if it was a basic land.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. bravelion83

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
See, I like the change from your original design. Vindicate is just so oppressive (especially at instant speed), even if it is tough to cast, precisely because it can take out your lands if you stumble. This card at least gives your opponent the mana back if you do that. Could use flavor text though.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Fun! The second sentence feels a *little* like trinket text given that 3-color permanents aren't that common and >50% of the time it doesn't matter much if a permanent is destroyed or exiled, but it's still a cool idea.
Flatline
Show
Hide
This sort of thing has been done before on enchantments, but never on an instant. The non-human effect is a little undercosted, but not absurd.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This is quite swingy -- either it has no good targets, or it's going to be a N-for-1, where N is usually at least 3. Would also prefer it if it were a sorcery, to allow more counterplay and force you to tap out.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Not sure I fully get the flavor text, although of course sometimes the art is crucial so not a big problem. I really like the card, even if the wording is a bit clunky.
netn10
Show
Hide
Oh, wow. That's splashy, but... pretty limiting. Unless you're giving them something bad, it's an automatic 3-for-1 in their favor, and if you're giving them something bad then it means you filled your deck with bad things on the off chance you could make this card work. Seems amazing in Donate decks but pretty bad otherwise.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Flavor seems a little off to me, as much as the flavor text tries to justify it -- Vampires kill humans all the time, so it's weird for them to now be sparing them. Definitely doesn't need to be rare -- black kill spells are only rare if there is added value and/or flexibility. Fun card, but also feels like it's just a flipping of Victim of Night.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. bravelion83
3. RaikouRider

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to keep the critiques period open for another 24 hours.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
RaikouRider - I'm not sure this is worded correctly, but I like it. It's playable, and makes sense in its colors. The flavor is good, although it could certainly use some flavor text.

bravelion83 - This feels like it costs too much, but considering cards like Anguished Unmaking, it probably needs to cost what it does. Still, it seems a bit underwhelming at 1 more than the afore mentioned card. I wish the check trigger did something splashier, or maybe was just easier to trigger. The trigger restriction lends very well to the overall flavor of the card though, which is very good.

slimytrout - Really strong design all the way around. Especially if you're playing big monsters. Good stuff.

kwanyeegor-ii - Well this is certainly splashy card. It has the potential to be a major swing in your favor, but it also might not do anything at all. I'm not sure the colors really mkae sense either. G/W flying spirits are certainly different.

Ink-Treader - Seems like some solid sideboard fodder. It may even be main-deckable in the right format. I'm usually a fan of short and sweet flavor text, but this isn't my favorite. It's better than no flavor text though.

Venedrex - This should probably be an UC, or maybe even cost bb and be a common. A fine card other than the rarity though. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 - slimytrout
2 - RaikouRider
3 - bravelion83
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

bravelion83: This can probably be three mana, given that it can't target lands. Utter End already unconditionally exiles - it seems like this is just worse. The flavor is on point, though, and the only thing keeping the card in contention.

slimytrout: This feels fair, given that it can kill anything except the biggest creature on the board. Very strong at dealing with utility creatures. A welcome option for decks that don't have access to Terminate.

Flatline: Man this is puuuuuuuushed. Feels like a Modern Horizons card. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this, but it's more pushed than other two mana white removal in any other set.

kwanyeegor-ii: Reminds me of Overwhelming Intellect. I can see why you made this card blue, but this is completely fine in Selesnya colors. I can see a lot of decks that would want this type of effect, but the color identity is so restrictive.

Ink-Treader: This feels a little too narrow, what with these colors not typically putting counters on opponent's things. I'd feel a lot better playing this at 3 mana and cantrip.

netn10: I'm not sure how I feel about this being hybrid. The flavor is amazing - destroying something by altering the timeline seems very Time Spiral. I just think this is a massive break in mono-blue.

Venedrex: Do you secretly have access to the Innistrad: Crimson Vow godbook? This looks like a card straight out of that set. This kind of effect is uncommon; other than that, amazing.

1) Venedrex
2) Flatline
3) slimytrout

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide

RaikouRider: I like this a lot, because Assassin's Trophy exists, and this feels like a nice way to avoid people getting land screwed by giving your opponent a Waste if you do use it on a land. Reminds me of Mythos of Nethroi, so seems good to me.

bravelion83: Hmm, a worse Vindicate for the most part, but that may be a good thing for Standard, and I appreciate tying the flavor into the exile effect due to the focus on wiping out all memory of the old clans, but I think the chance of it being relevant is quite low in most games. Although, if this was in a Tarkir set, there would be more three colored permanents.

slimytrout: I dislike the wording, but I'll accept it because I'm betting there isn't a better way to make this effect work in the rules, and that is more of an issue for Wotc to solve than a custom card designer. Reminds me of the Food vs Foods thing that had some people up in arms (Didn't really bother me much).

Additionally, I'm not sure I like this costing two colors of mana for a worse Heartless Act variant. I think this could have been mono colored, and reflavored as culling the weak in general. For me, multicolored cards in general should be usually stronger than comparable mono colored cards.

Flatline:This is pretty cool flavor wise, but I can't help but wonder why a card called Angelic Light would destroy angels. That seems like a bit of a flavor fail to me, but I think I understand where you're coming from, with angels looking out for humans on Innistrad. However, I just realized I'm a big fat hypocrite because my card is literally called Vampiric Execution and it can kill vampires. So scratch what I just said.

kwanyeegor-ii: Neat way of making tokens, but makes for a slightly odd card overall. I think the spirits could have just been white, blue, or white blue instead of needing to be green as well.

Ink-Treader: I think this is a little too situational. As I stated before with Cull the Herd, I think multicolored spells can/should be stronger on average than mono colored spells, and to me this is a worse version of similar effects, even ones with the same casting cost. I think most players would rather play removal with less restrictions.

netn10: This reminds me of Divine Gambit. I'm not sure the lose the game trigger makes for good game play. I also don't know if I like this being played in a mono blue deck, even with the massive downside.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. bravelion83
3. slimytrout
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

1 netn10
2 raikourider
3 flatline
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top 4 -

@slimytrout
@RaikouRider
@bravelion83
@Venedrex

Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”