Ayula, Bear Force One

Tryno
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tryno » 3 years ago

Decklist

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tryno 3 years ago, edited 17 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

No Werebear? It exercises its right to bear arms!

I think you need more bears in your list to really take advantage of the commander's abilities. This appears to be a fairly casual list so including more of the not so good bears probably won't be a big problem, especially if it means triggering your commander more often.

Tryno

Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
No Werebear? It exercises its right to bear arms!
He was a tad too inefficient compared to other bears. I looked at him, and had him in the list initially but wanted to keep the deck slim on bad bears.
Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
I think you need more bears in your list to really take advantage of the commander's abilities. This appears to be a fairly casual list so including more of the not so good bears probably won't be a big problem, especially if it means triggering your commander more often.
This deck was made in response to my meta telling me they hate my Erebos deck. So I made it really flavorful, casual, but still wanted to make it run smooth. I think I am running roughly 20 bears in my creatures, but I will need more play testing to determine if 20 bears is enough or not. Maybe they will print more bears :D

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

I think werebear is one of the better bears. Sure he has slightly less stats than grizzly bear but he is a mana dork that can pump your creature or remove opponent's creature for two mana. Seems pretty good to me.

I'd recommend Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary and Khalni Ambush // Khalni Territory.

Magiqmaster
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 years ago

Don't forget you could use creatures with the changeling ability to up your bear count, they just printed some nice ones in Kaldheim. Looking at you, realmwalker.

Tryno

illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
I think werebear is one of the better bears. Sure he has slightly less stats than grizzly bear but he is a mana dork that can pump your creature or remove opponent's creature for two mana. Seems pretty good to me.
I.... hadn't thought of it like that. Two mana dork that gives mana, and gives +2/+2 somewhere, or starts a fight seems fine.
I am going to hold off on these, not because I think you are wrong, but because I have a lot to test already. I will definitely note them for later.
Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Don't forget you could use creatures with the changeling ability to up your bear count, they just printed some nice ones in Kaldheim. Looking at you, realmwalker.
I have a bunch of changelings already in the list, including Realmwalker

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

Are you avoiding the Bear-token making cards for some reason? Bearscape, Caller of the Claw, Words of Wilding, and especially Maskwood Nexus seem like shoo-ins for Ayula.

Tryno

JovialJovian wrote:
3 years ago
Are you avoiding the Bear-token making cards for some reason? Bearscape, Caller of the Claw, Words of Wilding, and especially Maskwood Nexus seem like shoo-ins for Ayula.
So the issues with some of those is how mana inefficient they are. Bearscape is 5 mana for 1 bear, with limited ability to make tokens (being that it only targets your own graveyard). So it has a tax of three mana, and then spits out bears, sometimes.

Caller of the Claw is a wrath reset, which I generally avoid because it will sit in your hand forever.

Words of Wilding is something I am still considering, I want to get some play testing to make sure I have enough draw to either make enough bears, or have a decent enough hand size. I like this one, because it takes three activations to equal 3 bears.

Maskwood Nexus is a card I forgot existed, I'm not sure if I like it for making bears as it will never be as efficient as playing a bear, BUT I have 9 non-bears that would... become bears. I might look for a spot for this one.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

So, I got to play a little bit online with a buddy of mine. I am surprised how well this deck felt, when playing just plain ole bears. One of the issue I have though, is that I felt like I needed more draw, or more bears. So going to make some changes

OUT
  • Branching Evolution - This feels too slow, and feels more win more. Seeing as I am running bears. I need to focus on just, winning.
  • Blade of Selves - I thought this was going to be amazing, but determined that it doesn't feel amazing in a 3 player pod.
  • Elder Gargaroth - I could have played... like 2-3 bears instead. This thing is super good, but tends more towards big green stompy, or control.
  • Kalonian Hydra - Again, kind of win more.
  • Greater Good - I ended up stacking the counters on a single creature more than I expected. So the value from this seems not as helpful as I was hoping.
  • Scooze - First, I want to say. I love scooze. however, he just doesn't fit right in the deck.
  • Ulvenwald Tracker - I don't think I need him for fighting
IN
Last edited by Tryno 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
Big power coming in the simic commander precon, check out Ruxa!
No lie, I am so excited.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

OUT
Sword of the Animist - amazing early game, falls off hard
Evolution Sage - Win more card, that is clunky to get going
Broken Wings - Had it a couple times, felt funky having to keep mana up when bears could be played
Elvish Visionary - Added more creatures, and with all my card draw based on creatures I don't need this
Exploration - amazing early game, falls off hard
2xForest

IN
Ulvenwald Bear - Bear
Vivien's Grizzly - Bear
Pale Bears - Bear
Crop Rotation - protection for commander
Ruxa, Patient Professor - Really good bear
Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary
Mosswort Bridge

Authored
CommanderIdentity