April MCC Round 1 - Fools

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

MCC-2104.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the cards Feaster of Fools by John Severin Brassell, Roc Egg by Paul Bonner, and Work a Double by Carl Frank.)

April MCC Round 1

Fools

It's April month here in the MCC! Uhm... I mean... It's April in real life, and it happens to be a month with a lot of holidays and anniversaries, most international and one specific to Italy, for a total of four here in Italy. It happens that there are four rounds in the MCC, so the alignment was perfect. So this is what we'll do this month, celebrating each round one of those occasions.
What is the first? This is a triple sense: the first round, the first holiday, and the date of April 1st. The answer to all is the same: April's Fools. I'll be honest: I absolutely hate it. It's one holiday that I hate out of three in the year, the other two are carnival and Halloween. What do they have in common? Pranks, jokes, and a general sense of unseriousness. That's what I don't like. But this year, I thought to exploit it. Let's do something serious, but out of the box, for the first challenge, and even more than that, let's post it in the same day that people will think that it's a joke, while it's perfectly serious instead! It feels like pranking the prankster! And yes, for those few that have it, that's an intended quote from my story. And if you're curious, April's Fools is what the art of Feaster of Fools represents in the banner. You're free to guess what the others are.

Main Challenge - Design a creature card with a monocolored color identity that does not have any of the characteristic and iconic creature types for its color. Please see clarifications if you don't know what those words mean.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is common.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is not a Cleric, Shaman, Soldier, Wizard, or Warrior.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
The characteristic creature types are the most abundant races at lower rarities for each color.
W - Human
U - Merfolk
B - Vampire and Zombie
R - Goblin
G - Elf

The iconic creature types are those found normally at higher rarities for each color.
W - Angel
U - Sphinx
B - Demon
R - Dragon
G - Hydra

The Main Challenge forbids all those eleven creature types, in the sense that if your card is white, for example, it can't be a Human or an Angel. It could be a characteristic or iconic race of another color, for example you could make a mono-white Merfolk, Dragon, or even a mono-white Goblin! (I'm not advising you to make a mono-white Goblin, but you technically could.)

Your card has to meet three requirements:
• It's a creature. It can have other card types, for example it can be an artifact creature or an enchantment creature.
• It has a color identity that's exactly monocolored, that is both monocolored mana cost and no off-color mana symbols in rules text. Generic mana (1 for example), twobrid mana (), and Phyrexian mana () are all allowed, as long as they're all the same color. Colorless mana (C) is NOT allowed, because... all together! Colorless is not a color!
• It doesn't have any of the creature types from the lists above for its color. The Main Challenge only looks at races. You can use the classes from Subchallenge 2 and still pass the Main Challenge.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, April 9th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Monday, April 12th 23:59 EDT A 24 hours extension has been asked and granted. New judging deadline is Tuesday, April 13th, 23:59 EDT.

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Venedrex
bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

Breaking news: brackets have changed. Venedrex has offered to be the third judge, and I've accepted. I will judge their card out of competition.

The last player in each bracket will be eliminated. All other players will advance.

Judge: Venedrex
Freyleyes
Henlock
Ink-Treader
MonoRedMage

Judge: bravelion83
dangerousdice
Flatline
kwanyeegor-ii
Riria
StonerOfKruphix
I will also judge Venedrex's original submission out of competition.

Judge: void_nothing
ahyangyi
Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Resolute Ghastspeaker 1B
Creature — Azra Warlock (C)
Sacrifice Resolute Ghastspeaker: Scry 2 and you lose 1 life.
3B, Exile Resolute Ghastspeaker from your graveyard: Scry 2 and you lose 1 life.
The surest way to learn from the dead is to join them.
2/1
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Wirewood Behemoth 2GG
Creature - Beast {C}
Echo 2GG (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)
Wirewood Behemoth has indestructible as long as its echo cost hasn't been paid.
6/5
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

Squirlkin Horderaiser GGG
Creature — Squirrel Druid (C)
3GGG, Sacrifice Squirlkin Horderaiser: For each nontoken creature you control, create a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token.
"As the humans cut deeper into the woods, the squirlkin pushed back ever harder."
1/1

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Council of Information 1U
Creature - Vedalken Advisor (C)
Whenever an opponent draws a card, scry 1.
"Progress can never be contained to its direct beneficiaries."
1/3

bravelion83

bumping this for visibility, it had fallen to the second page
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Hollow Sheep B
Creature -- Sheep {C}
When Hollow Sheep dies, each opponent may draw 2 cards.
Look there sir, it's a black sheep.
2/2

ahyangyi

Post by ahyangyi » 3 years ago

Wall of Relentlessness
Creature - Wall (C)
Defender, Flying
, Sacrifice Wall of Relentlessness: target creature gets +X/+X and can attack as though it didn't have defender until end of turn, where X is twice the number of creatures named Wall of Relentlessness you control.
A deck can have any number of cards named Wall of Relentlessness
The best offense is a good defense.
0/3

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Mascot Collector R
Creature - Lizard Rogue (Common)
3, Sacrifice Mascot Collector: Create a 3/2 red and white Spirit creature token.
5, Sacrifice Mascot Collector: Create a 4/4 blue and red Elemental creature token.
Stealing lost mascots at Mage Tower is a bad idea, especially for people not studying at Strixhaven.
1/1

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Light-Fingered Aven 2U
Creature — Bird Rogue (C)
Flying
Plunder — When Light-Fingered Aven enters the battlefield, if a creature you control dealt combat damage to a player this turn, draw a card.
When Lady Pendal retired to her chambers, she found that the contents of her jewelry box had been replaced with a single glossy feather.
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Defiled Ronin 1B
Creature - Rat Samurai (Common)
Bushido 1 (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Whenever Defiled Ronin blocks or becomes blocked, each player loses 1 life, exiles a card from their graveyard, and mills a card.
The oni's curse left him untouched but soured the luck of any who hired him.
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Swooping Condor 3RR
Creature - Bird {C}
Flying
Swooping Condor attacks each combat if able.
Whenever Swooping Condor attacks, it deals 1 damage to target creature an opponent controls. That creature can't block this turn.
4/4

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Slow Learner 1r
Creature — Human Rogue (C)
As an additional cost to cast Slow Learner, discard a card.
When Slow Learner dies, draw two ​cards.
"I'm going to figure this out, even if it kills me!"
1/2
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Deepwood Prowler 3G
Creature — Cat (C)
When Deepwood Prowler enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, choose one —
• Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
• Create a 1/1 black and green Pest creature token with "When this creature dies, you gain 1 life."
"Unsupervised nightly wanderings outside Witherbloom campus are strongly discouraged."
—Witherbloom dormitory notice

2/4
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Unrelenting Raider
Creature — Minotaur Berserker (C)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, exile Unrelenting Raider. Return it to the battlefield under your control tapped and attacking at the beginning of the next declare attackers step on your turn.
"Every law and command, whether from mortals or higher powers, appeals to reason. How can you bind those without any?"
—Perisophia the philosopher

3/2

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Watchful Unicorn
Creature — Unicorn (C)
Vigilance
Whenever Watchful Unicorn attacks, untap another target creature you control.
Those who befriend a unicorn will never be caught off guard.
3/3
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Speartusk Lookout 3w
Creature - Elephant Soldier(c)
Speartusk Lookout costs less to cast if a creature entered the battlefield under an opponent's control this turn.
, : Speartusk Lookout deals 3 damage to target creature with power 4 or greater.
When Phansia soldiers lose their tusks in battle, a bit of dentistry and weaponcraft take care of the issue.
3/3

bravelion83

The round is closed.

BRACKETS

Breaking news: brackets have changed. Venedrex has offered to be the third judge, and I've accepted. I will judge their card out of competition.

The last player in each bracket will be eliminated. All other players will advance.

Judge: @Venedrex
Freyleyes
Henlock
Ink-Treader
MonoRedMage

Judge: bravelion83
dangerousdice
Flatline
kwanyeegor-ii
Riria
StonerOfKruphix
I will also judge Venedrex's original submission out of competition.

Judge: @void_nothing
ahyangyi
Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout

Done. Very good scores in this bracket, good work everybody!
dangerousdice
Show
Hide
dangerousdice wrote:
3 years ago
Squirlkin Horderaiser GGG
Creature — Squirrel Druid (C)
3GGG, Sacrifice Squirlkin Horderaiser: For each nontoken creature you control, create a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token.
"As the humans cut deeper into the woods, the squirlkin pushed back ever harder."
1/1
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes the idea of swarming the battlefield with Squirrels. Johnny could use the sacrifice and the tokens. Spike probably moves on.
Elegance 2.5/3 - I hope all players will get that this doesn't count in "for each creature you control", as it will be long gone to your graveyard when you paid the ability cost, way before resolution.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity or the rules.
Balance 1.5/3 - Hard to play in limited, it's triple colored mana for a 1/1 that maybe will make some tokens. I see this better in constructed, when you can freely build around it, for example putting this in a weenie deck: go wide, cast a lot of small low-mana-value creatures, then deploy this and get a bunch of Squirrels. Casual players will love this idea. Competitive ones maybe not so much. No problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Squirrels! No, seriously, now they're back to black border in real Magic, but not at common. This looks like the next step on the Squirrel plan: taking them back to common. And a race of humanoid squirrels (what I guess the squirlkin are) is new to Magic. Real Magic, at least, as I had already in mind to put them in a future custom set of mine. Obviously, this card won't stop me! I'll do it anyway.
Flavor 3/3 - The whole package is very solid, good work! The name fits very well with the abilities, the flavor text also justifies the abilities and is good on its own too, and the concept strongly suggests a whole race of humanoid squirrels, that looks very plausible and just the right amount of silly. If we can have almost all animals in humanoid version, why not squirrels too?
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Slow Learner 1r
Creature — Human Rogue (C)
As an additional cost to cast Slow Learner, discard a card.
When Slow Learner dies, draw two cards.
"I'm going to figure this out, even if it kills me!"
1/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy doesn't care too much. Johnny could definitely do something with this, probably taking advantage of the discard or the death trigger in an aristocrats-style deck. Spike likes rummaging, and I expect her to like this card too.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited, rummaging is always good there. Sometimes it cost a bit too much, but this is not the case, and we know that rummaging in red is supposed to cost more than looting in blue. This is a common that has a chance in constructed, especially in mono-red decks that tend to run out of gas. Maybe this could help them with that. Those players would have probably preferred a 2/1 though, but that didn't stop Monastery Swiftspear from seeing play, even in Modern. I have it in my own Modern Naya Burn deck. Also, notably "dies" means both from removal and in combat. If you use this to block a bigger creature, or sacrifice it in an aristocrats-style deck, and this dies, it helps digging your library for cards you need more than a simple 1/2 creature. No problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - A fresh take on rummaging. Maybe a bit too similar to Tormenting Voice, but you don't get the cards immediately.
Flavor 3/3 - Another very solid package. The name and flavor text justify the abilities very well, and vice versa. Good work.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 23.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Defiled Ronin 1B
Creature - Rat Samurai (Common)
Bushido 1 (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Whenever Defiled Ronin blocks or becomes blocked, each player loses 1 life, exiles a card from their graveyard, and mills a card.
The oni's curse left him untouched but soured the luck of any who hired him.
1/1
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes abilities that do a bunch of things. Johnny can also definitely exploit the triggered abilities in multiple ways, and he can also look for a way to force his opponent to block while also saving his creature. Spike likes this in the early game, but I don't think she will want to take the risk of drawing this in the late game, when it's close to a blank, or anyway no longer effective enough.
Development
Viability 2/3 - I think the triggered ability is better suited for uncommon. No problems with the color pie or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Black can have a two-mana vanilla 2/2. This is better than that, because it has the triggered ability, assuming that ability is good (in constructed you will have built your deck to take advantage of it), but in return it's no longer a 2/2 if it goes to the head. The balance looks good, if blocking or blocked, it's better than a vanilla 2/2, otherwise it's worse. Losing 1 life, exiling a card from your graveyard and milling a card are all rather minor things that I think you won't mind having to do yourself too. I think this card is playable in limited, but honestly I can't see it getting a lot of play in constructed. Maybe a little but far from a lot, and anyway more in casual than competitive constructed. But it's not a big problem, common cards are meant more for limited than constructed, and few common cards see play in competitive constructed. I see no problems in multiplayer, actually "each player" is relevant there and makes this card better in multiplayer than in duel: more players will have to lose life, exile a card from their graveyard, and mill, so while you still do it for one player (yourself), your opponents as a whole will have done it multiple times. Multiple life losses, exiled cards, and milled cards are good for you.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here. The triggered ability vaguely reminds me of Smallpox.
Flavor 3/3 - The name is good, the creature types too, bushido is tied to Samurai, and the flavor text is good too. I wonder if the triggered ability hitting each player, you too, is the curse referenced in the flavor text. It could, and it's good, whether it's intentional or not.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - Hyphen instead of em dash in the type line, no deduction.
TOTAL 21/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
3 years ago
Council of Information 1U
Creature - Vedalken Advisor (C)
Whenever an opponent draws a card, scry 1.
"Progress can never be contained to its direct beneficiaries."
1/3
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy doesn't care. Johnny doesn't want to build a combo based on what his opponent does. Spike likes this, it's a free scry every turn cycle, plus the chance to get more, but she also doesn't like her opponent to be in control of her abilities.
Development
Balance 2/3 - Blue is the worst color at creatures, but it can certainly have a two-mana 1/3 with a little upside. Not a high pick, but playable in limited. Everybody draws a card at least once during their turn, don't they? I honestly can't see this in constructed, scry 1 is useful but I expect there to be better options for that mana slot. Also, in constructed you usually don't use cards that leave the choice to your opponent, even if yes, drawing one card in the draw step isn't optional. Drawing more is, provided you have cards that allow you to do that. No problems in casual. "An opponent" means this card is better in multiplayer formats, where you have multiple opponents for this ability to trigger, and you will get to scry multiple times per turn cycle.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here.
Flavor 3/3 - Name and flavor text are good. The flavor text fits with the idea of giving you a benefit in the form of scry when your opponent makes progress in the form of drawing cards and progressing the game.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - Hyphen instead of em dash in the type line, no deduction.
TOTAL 20/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
StonerOfKruphix wrote:
3 years ago
Deepwood Prowler 3G
Creature — Cat (C)
When Deepwood Prowler enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, choose one —
• Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
• Create a 1/1 black and green Pest creature token with "When this creature dies, you gain 1 life."
"Unsupervised nightly wanderings outside Witherbloom campus are strongly discouraged."
—Witherbloom dormitory notice

2/4
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes making his creatures bigger, creating tokens, and life gain, but he doesn't like to sacrifice his own creatures. Johnny could find a way to use the sacrifice, the counters and the tokens. Spike doesn't mind the sacrifice, and likes that you can choose to put the +1/+1 counter on this creature itself. She also likes going wide with tokens.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text is a bit too long, especially for a common.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - As I was saying, the text is a bit too long for common. This should probably either be uncommon or be a redflagged common. No problems with the color pie or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - The sacrificed creature can be a token, and green has a lot of cards that produce them. It can even be the Pest token produced by an earlier copy of this card, or any other source for that matter. Creating a chain of Pests must be fun in Witherbloom. Certainly playable in limited, but I'm not sure about constructed. It has an immediate effect, but you have to have a creature that you're willing to sacrifice, which is not a given. Notably, it doesn't say "another creature", so you can sacrifice this creature too to its own ability. My inner Mel rejoices! No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Pests are technically new, in the sense that they are in the latest set, not that they don't exist in real Magic. The rest is nothing new.
Flavor 3/3 - The name and flavor text are very good, I could see them both on a real Strixhaven card. The reason why it's not advised to wonder outside your campus in the night is that you could get sacrificed for tokens or counters!
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Flatline: 23.5
StonerOfKruphix: 21.5
dangerousdice: 21
kwanyeegor-ii: 21

Riria: 20
Venedrex (out of competition)
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Watchful Unicorn
Creature — Unicorn (C)
Vigilance
Whenever Watchful Unicorn attacks, untap another target creature you control.
Those who befriend a unicorn will never be caught off guard.
3/3
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes the rate of this creature, and also giving pseudo-vigilance to another creature. Johnny could use the untap somehow. Spike agrees with both.
Development
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited, and probably quite a high pick. I don't see this would see much play, if any, in competitive constructed. Overall it looks quite powerful for a common, a 3/3 vigilance for four-mana would already be playable, in limited for sure, and this has even additional upside so who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The name is a bit generic but good enough. The flavor text is good too, the unicorn comes to help you (aka untapping you) when you need it.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 22/25

Show
Hide

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - For limited Spike sees a lot of potential, as this is a decent beater with great card selection for a good cost. Johnny and Timmy find this much less exciting, as there are little to no synergies other than mill for Johnny, and the card is pretty plain for Timmy, but they might find uses for it.
(3/3) Elegance - No problems for me.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Lost Legion already exists, so this should be alright in black, especially with the added life loss to the scry.
(2/3) Balance - This card could be a strong pick in limited because of how it filters so much of your draw, but otherwise it feels good balance wise, with the life loss and exile helping to prevent this from being too strong. This card wouldn't see play in constructed, but that is completely understandable since its a common.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - As previously mentioned, there are similar effects in black, but the package is somewhat new.
(3/3) Flavor - Works well for me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – Done
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 22/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - This is not a Timmy card at all, Johnny might see some way to use this, but it would be challenging to find a combo for this effect. The fact that the opponent may draw the cards, and you don't choose the opponent takes a lot of potential shenanigans in multiplayer. Spike does not like this card. Yes, it is a 1 mana 2/2 at common, but the downside is simply too severe. Giving your opponent two cards is too much of a hurdle for Spike to get around in my opinion.
(3/3) Elegance - Not hard to understand the card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is something black does, have a strong creature with a drawback, but usually these cards involve you paying the cost, such as losing life or discarding a card, or sacrificing a creature.
(1/3) Balance - I don't think this card would be played outside of a shortage of any other option. I could be wrong, but I believe the downside would prevent this card from being used in any deck in constructed or limited. I don't think getting an extra 1/1 worth of stats on a one drop is worth the likely outcome of an opponent getting a Divination for killing it.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - This feels somewhat new to me because of the card draw downside, although it is in a long line of similar cards in black.
(1.5/3) Flavor - The sheep is a black sheep. Not my favorite but I guess it works, although apparently real life black sheep had less valuable wool, so I'm not sure the flavor fits with this giving card draw.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good
Total: 18.5/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Johnny doesn't see a lot of potential in this for combos or synergies, Timmy likes the idea of a big flier with lots of effects, and Spike really likes this card for limited.
(3/3) Elegance - Very clean

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - I think this card runs into a couple issues in terms of what it is versus what color it is in. I think red rarely gets fliers, and usually only has flying on dragons or phoenixes. I understand not making this one of those creature types because they don't show up at common, but I think this could easily have just been made a giant, and given trample instead of flying. This lack of flying in red is also the reason I believe that red seems to have largely stopped getting birds, and why there are so few existing red birds.

(2/3) Balance - This card might be a little too strong in limited. A five mana 4/4 flier with the ability to either kill 1/1's or prevent an opponent's best creature from blocking seems quite powerful in most decks. I also believe that the must attack each combat if able part doesn't balance this card quite as much as it would on a creature that doesn't have flying or a way to prevent another creature from blocking.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - The combination is somewhat new, but the effects have been seen many times before.
(3/3) Flavor - Pretty flavorful with the bird scaring creatures from blocking, and constantly diving into combat aggressively.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good

Total: 19.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Johnny might like trying to do some kind of shenanigans where they use an effect to make an opponent's creatures have more power, than get hit with this card's effect. Timmy is on the fence about this card, as it has a lot of text, but the end result isn't particularly exciting. Spike sees this as a solid limited card.
(3/3) Elegance - Good

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is well within white's portion of the pie.
(1.5/3) Balance - I think the first line of text is more flavorful than practical, as this creature would need flash to really take advantage of an opponent casting creatures, as I suspect most players with flash creatures would usually cast them during your end step. The tap effect gives me some pause in that it is highly effective versus high power low toughness creatures, potentially sniping them left and right, especially since this is already a 3/3 for 4 mana in white at common, so having the additional text makes this seem quite good, even possibly a little too good in limited overall.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - There are some differences between this and the other cards that tap to deal 3 damage to enemy creatures in white, but overall it feels similar to them.
(3/3) Flavor - Works pretty well.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – Done.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Is a Soldier, so no point for subchallenge 2.

Total: 20/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader: 22
Henlock: 20
MonoRedMage: 19

Freyleyes: 18.5
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

ahyangyi
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both would enjoy this card - it's a bit fringe for Spike but anything that can be a superconsistent deck is also up Spike's alley.
(1.5/3) Elegance - A lot of math and moving parts for a typical common, although "can have any number" cards sort of need to be common.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look okay.
(3/3) Balance - Considering you have to sacrifice them to turn another one into, well, an actual threat, I don't see a balance issue.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Part of a clear tradition with Relentless Rats but offers enough uniqueness to feel like a very new card.
(3/3) Flavor - I love "Wall of Abstract Thing" as a card name and the flavor text is VERY pithy.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Defender does actually appear to come before flying, but keywords beyond the first one in a line are not capitalized. A couple of other capitalization and punctuation issues as well.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the always-attack-no-matter-what thing. Jxnny has plenty of things to do with this. Spike likes the pseudo-haste and efficiency.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Has a lot of complicated implications especially for a common.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Definitely red, but for both complexity and Limited power reasons this would have to be an uncommon or even a rare instead of a common.
(2.5/3) Balance - This card's ability does have a built-in drawback but the stats feel a bit too efficient.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While this is a lot like a card with haste and "attacks each combat if able" it also has a lot of different mechanical implications with its ability.
(3/3) Flavor - I really love that flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 20.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes turning small things into bigger ones. Jxnny likes the slightly unusual setup. Spike, in Limited, likes flexibility but would prefer not to play virtual vanillas.
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to argue with.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity both look fine.
(3/3) Balance - Looks okay.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Creatures that sacrifice themselves to create a bigger token are nothing new but the multiple size options here is nice, like a common version of Figure of Destiny.
(3/3) Flavor - Perfect, I'd say.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - A pure Txmmy/Spike card - not much there for Jxnny (even Thick-Skinned Goblin isn't all that appealing).
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty easy to understand.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definitely green but I'd argue this card has to be at least uncommon for Limited.
(2.5/3) Balance - Non-evasive creatures are sometimes not very strong in Limited but the sheer efficiency here at common makes this extremely powerful, not to mention the narrow but still relevant short term indestructible.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - See Winding Wurm - undercosted beaters are one of the most prevalent echo designs. This use of indestructible is a relatively new idea, however.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Could have used short flavor text. Name is pretty generic and if there's an Otaria connection, huge fatties are more associated with Krosa than Wirewood, which is a place name used for Elves and related cards.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks okay.

Total: 19/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes getting rewarded for attacking people. Not much here for Jxnny but Spike loves a cantripping cheap flyer.
(3/3) Elegance - Looks pretty understandable to me.

Development
(3/3) Viability - No issues with color or rarity.
(3/3) Balance - The floor is a reasonable Wind Drake while the ceiling is certainly not overpowered although it is quite efficient.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a sidegrade of Cloudkin Seer or whatever you choose to compare it to; plunder, too, feels mostly like a worse raid.
(3/3) Flavor - Absolutely love it.

Polish

Total: 21.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
netn10 22.5
slimytrout 21.5
ahyangyi 20.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta 20.5

RaikouRider 19
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”