Proxies in casual games

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, we have a small playgroup of 8 people. Me, a brother, 4 cousins, and 2 friends. I've seen them have proxies of certain cards they don't have yet. But so far, no one has used proxies when we actually play games, Even on casual, no one uses proxies,, which makes me wonder what those proxies they have are for. Have not asked yet, since we did not have a group gathering since corona came to town.

Now, my question is.. in your playgroup. Do you guys / girls allow proxies to be used in casual games? Or do you allow proxies when someone is just testing whether a card is right for their deck or not?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

It is possible they have the proxies for cards they want to use, but don't currently have access to.

As for my playgroup, we don't currently allow proxies, but we are open to discussing it. Like if someone has ordered a card and is just waiting for it to be delivered.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I'm fine with proxies in most cases, but I find that there's a certain, ill-defined percentage of proxies at which I become a little annoyed. Last night, for instance, I played a few Commander games with one guy whose deck was at least 40% proxies. I didn't like it, but it's not really the hill I want to die on either, so I just sucked it up so we can all have a good game.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

Generally, I don't mind proxies in a casual setting as long as it's only a few cards and that player intends on actually getting a copy of that card to fill in the proxy. I had a buddy that had most of an edh deck proxied and took a few years to actually fill out the deck, which was quite much (and I didn't really like but as said before it wasn't a hill I wanted to die on either)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”