It's a good card for treefolk/big butts decks, but it can't replace Doran
17%
Other (please specify in the comments)
4%

Total votes: 24

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Colfenor has just been revealed! I like the character, i like the art... but i'm feeling lukewarm about the card. Abzan generals are usually kinda "meh" and for this set i hoped for something more unusual like enchantress or elf tribal.
Will it be good enough? Will it be fun enough? I'd like to hear your opinions about our new treefolk.

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

I would have loved an Enchantress general too. Black Enchantments don't get enough love in the enchantress realm :(

But I do think this is just too high costed for not enough value. He probably works in the 99 in some lists, but the trigger is actually fairly restrictive. I think there is likely fun to be had but I just can't see any list that wants him over Karador (I even thought of throwing him into my Karador list and even that isn't good enough I don't think).

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

He's basically a weird, toughness-oriented scrap trawler... for 6... and with a mediocre stat-line. I mean, treefolk soulshift is fun, but treefolk are typically broad beaters with random utilities for a bit of mana. Not really the type of thing you typically want to be sacrificing for value and recurring... and for full price. The "to hand" thing kills my interest cold.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

He's a cute little vorthos thing, and that's enough, especially for this format. He won't be taking over tables, or replacing Karador, but expecting that of every new legend is how we ended up with Chulane. I'm not wild about Partner, I'm not wild about seeing new planeswalker generals, but this set has come closer to the EDH I started playing than anything WotC has made for a while. It's big, silly battlecruiser cards. It's niche weird things that don't ask how you can break them, but how you can do something wacky. It's vorthos cards that don't feel like names slapped on at the last minute. WotC is showing that they are able to shift how they design for our format, now the question is whether we can shift how we play it.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

He's okay. I love the lore of lorwyn and getting legends from there that we haven't before is cool (still hoping for another ashling).

However it's just another Abzan commander that cares about death and dead things. I was really hoping for Abzan enchantments, or at least a decent push in a new direction. Some cards in this set are so uninspired I think they ran out of time to develop them in relation to some that are much more entertaining (Yurlok hugs has my attention).

That said, there is still some left to spoil. I was hoping before the partner news hit we'd have 1-2 new commanders for every combination of colors. While the partners do that (ugh) I doubt there will be another 3 color or at all 4 color commanders, and that makes me sad. I expected more in the year of commander.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I really like this general. Not sure it's fast enough for the modern meta, but it's a cool design. I love a lot of the Scrap Trawler paradigm.

I might try to make it work as a Survival of the Fittest green value deck. Maybe I can force Aluren in there since it interacts quite favorably with this as well.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

There are lots of infinite combos available, and I've started to make a list for my own benefit to identify "what is possible", but not that I'd actually post it in the forums, as I feel like the 6 mana is outclassed by others if you are going for a combo general.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I like him just fine. I won't personally run him as a general, but I think he may make the cut for inclusion of a couple of my decks, as a way to get value out of creatures dying or to help recover from a wrath.

Colfenor isn't super-powerful or broken, and that is fine with me. That alone makes me like it a lot more than, say, the new Kodama. I also appreciate that it just feels very much like a Lorwyn block legendary creature.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

I like the card. The ability and the flavor are usable and can be built around or support other reanimation strategies. Overall it is a good fun card, but overall quite tame for a 6CMC commanders at Mythic. Is it mythic? If it was a copy of Scrap Trawler and focused on CMC, it would be more powerful, but less flavorful.

I like Doran, the Siege Tower for Treefolk Tribal because I was around it in standard so it's more nostalgia than power. Colfenor is a neat card and completely usable in a 75% meta, which is exactly where I like to play.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

What do you think are some staple for Colfenor?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

Oh look, a graveyard oriented Abzan commander! Finally, something new and exciting for that color identity.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

I think its a decently powered general for a big butt and/or tree folks decks. I would say there are better commanders but Colfenor deck would still be plenty playable.

I think the best thing about him is that he does feel he could be in Lorwyn. Like if they ever do Lorwyn Remaster he fit right in.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”