The CCL Discussion Thread

Komandon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Komandon » 3 months ago

Is round two meant as a function of Planechase? I have an idea of what it maybe outsize of that. Some older terminology that was reconned.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Not the host for this month but yes, the January round 2 challenge uses mechanics specific to the Planechase format.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 months ago

Komandon wrote:
3 months ago
Is round two meant as a function of Planechase? I have an idea of what it maybe outsize of that. Some older terminology that was reconned.
You mean "roll chaos" instead of "chaos ensues"?

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 3 months ago

The chaos part I understood it's the planeswalking and the current plane you are on parts that confuse me.

Also for last month I just noticed @MonoRedMage hasn't submitted yet. Could you give an extension for "Could This Be the End?" for him/her vs me in the finals?

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Komandon wrote:
3 months ago
The chaos part I understood it's the planeswalking and the current plane you are on parts that confuse me.

Also for last month I just noticed @MonoRedMage hasn't submitted yet. Could you give an extension for "Could This Be the End?" for him/her vs me in the finals?
Planeswalking is present on panechase-related cards from 2023. It means changing the current plane from one to another. See more: https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Planeswalk

"Current plane you're on" isn't present on cards AFAIK, but I guess players can figure out what it means.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

@slimytrout: since only current plane's ability can trigger, your design passes the challenge.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

A question for CCL veterans: since anybody can enter both rounds 1 and 2, why don't we start them at the same time? Right now people have lots of time to post critics for Round 1 but only few days to do so for Round 2.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Raptorchan wrote:
3 months ago
A question for CCL veterans: since anybody can enter both rounds 1 and 2, why don't we start them at the same time? Right now people have lots of time to post critics for Round 1 but only few days to do so for Round 2.
That's a fair question, because you presented a fair reason to change the system. Besides "that's how it's always been done" the reasons are as follows:

1. Not overwhelming potential contestants with designing two different cards in two different threads at the beginning of the month.
2. More natural spacing of what you need to do for the contest, in theory - Enter, then later enter and critique around the same time, then later critique.
3. Allowing contestants who didn't have the time or inclination at the beginning of the month to actually take advantage of the second round also being a sign-up. Although they're at a disadvantage many people have advanced to the top 8/top 6 while only entering round 2 and not round 1. Some have even won the month.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 months ago

This one also doesn't come up to often, but I would add:

4. Sometimes there are CCL months where what you submit in later rounds is dependent on your first round card, which would be more complicated if rounds 1 and 2 went up simultaneously (although admittedly not impossible, since those months always allow for entry in Round 2 by making a placeholder card that satisfies the round 1 challenge).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations to the co-winners of the December CCL, Komandon and MonoRedMage!

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Folks, you have about 8 hours to finish your crits for rounds 1-2!

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

@Raptorchan, you appear to have forgotten to @ those participating in Round 3.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

AnotherAlias wrote:
3 months ago
I am not. Just counting score right now.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

Raptorchan wrote:
3 months ago
AnotherAlias wrote:
3 months ago
I am not. Just counting score right now.
Very well. Just making sure.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

And done.
Round 3 is up, let's play.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Only half players submitted their designs, meanwhile, you have only 13 more hours to do so.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

@Yan_MTG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Early signups are now available for the February CCL.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

Only one unfinished design?
Impressive.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 months ago

Raptorchan wrote:
2 months ago
Only one unfinished design?
Impressive.
...I did forget about this.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

Final round is up!

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 months ago

I don't know if I'm misreading this. @void_nothing are we to only critic 6 of the 8 other players. Each of the critiques posted so far I think only have six. Im sorry for the confusion.
void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
And the round is closed. Please critique and top-3 the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

@OneAndOnly
@AnotherAlias
@KB52665
@Subject16
@shullz
@Komandon
@marioguy3
@netn10
@Raptorchan

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yes, you're only considering six entries. Count down six usernames below your own on the list, and move to the top when you reach the bottom.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just a reminder that you can freely enter Round 2 of the February CCL even if you did not enter round 1!

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 months ago

I'm confused by the challenge.

Design a card with a non-deprecated, non-evergreen keyword that was first printed earlier than Invasion. Please see the clarifications for a list.

Would it just be ability or words like Mill, Exile, and Fight?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”