April MCC, Round 1 - Pauper Finisher

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

Banner based on Megaflora Jungle, by John Avon and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
April MCC, Round 1 - Pauper Finisher

Welcome to the April MCC! It's Formats Month here at the MCC. As the round title implies, the format that is the theme of this first round is Pauper.

Main Challenge: Design a common creature card with mana value 4, 5, or 6.

Subchallenge 1: Your card has flying or can gain flying through its own abilities. (1 point)

Subchallenge 2: Choose one or both -
• Your card's base power and base toughness have a difference of 2 or more. (0.5 points)
• Your card has hexproof or indestructible or can gain hexproof or indestructible through its own abilities. (0.5 points)

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, April 5th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Sunday, April 7th 23:59 EDT

If time extensions are required, they WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
CONTESTANTS

Anyone is free to enter in the first round! Your signup for the contest consists of posting a card design that fits the main challenge and any number of the subchallenges (none, some, or all of them).

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
JUDGES
void_nothing
Ink-Treader

We will likely need at least one more judge. Volunteering to judge is a huge help to the MTGNexus CCC community and we all appreciate those who take the time and effort to do so. You can sign up to judge here if you are inclined.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 1 month ago

Cemetery Vulture 3U
Creature — Bird (C)
Flying
Whenever Cemetery Vulture attacks, you may pay {2/B} and exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you do, Cemetery Vulture gains indestructible until end of turn. ({2/B} can be paid with either 2 or B.)
You can often see it dancing in the sky above the graves. When it has chosen its preferred one to feed on, it dives down onto it at such a speed that nothing and nobody would ever be able to stop it.
3/1
Last edited by bravelion83 1 month ago, edited 9 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 month ago

Criteria
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
Main Challenge: Design a common creature card with mana value 4, 5, or 6.

Subchallenge 1: Your card has flying or can gain flying through its own abilities. (1 point)

Subchallenge 2: Choose one or both -
• Your card's base power and base toughness have a difference of 2 or more. (0.5 points)
• Your card has hexproof or indestructible or can gain hexproof or indestructible through its own abilities. (0.5 points)
Wind-Whirl Elemental -- 2UU
Creature - Elemental {C}
Flying
When Wind-Whirl Elemental enters or attacks, tap target creature, If that creature has greater size than Wind-Whirl Elemental, Wind-Whirl Elemental gains indestructible until end of turn. (Size is power plus toughness.)
"Aw, that's just a gust. When the wind really picks up in Thunder Junction, even them rattlewurms get tossed around!"
2/4
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 1 month ago

Protective Pterodon 5w
Creature — Dinosaur (C)
Growth 2w (2w: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. This ability costs 1 more to activate for each +1/+1 counter on it. Grow only as a sorcery.)
Whenever you activate Protective Pterodon's growth ability, it gains your choice of flying or indestructible until end of turn.
4/6

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 month ago

Golden Winged Goblin
Creature - Goblin (Common)
Flying
Whenever you discard a card, Golden Winged Goblin gains indestructible until end of turn.
, Discard a card: draw a card.
To overcome their fear of flight, these Goblins put resources into their training contraption.
5/2
Last edited by marioguy3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 1 month ago

Ferryman of Final Rests
Creature — Spirit (C)
Flying, vigilance
Tribute 3 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put three +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Ferryman of Final Rests enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, exile target player's graveyard. You gain life equal to the highest mana value among creature cards exiled this way.
Even those sworn to keep the living from the dead have a price. One needs only to find their vice. And though one may prevail in finding their fails, one may find what comes after unkind.
3/3
Last edited by AnotherAlias 1 month ago, edited 4 times in total.

shullz

Post by shullz » 1 month ago

Leaping Knifejaw
Creature — Shark (C)
Leaping Knifejaw has flying as long as it's attacking. Otherwise it has hexproof.
Islandcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for an Island card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)
When overfishing caused the knifejaw's usual food sources to become scarce, it didn't take the apex predator long to adapt.
5/3
Last edited by shullz 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 1 month ago

Imperial Dragoon 1RWB
Creature — Kor Knight (C)
Haste
Imperial Dragoon has flying and indestructible as long as its attacking.
"To bring down a spikedrake you do not just ride the wind: you become it, and then you turn into a bloody storm of your steel and their anguish!"
—Jogari, Imperial lieutenant
3/1
Last edited by Ryder 1 month ago, edited 8 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 month ago

Bane of Despots 2WW
Creature — Spirit Rebel (C)
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Whenever you put a +1/+1 counter on Bane of Despots, it gains flying and indestructible until end of turn.
"I cannot rest until Paliano is freed from the yoke of tyranny."
4/2
Last edited by slimytrout 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 month ago

Sphinx of Self-Reflection
Creature - Sphinx {C}
Flying
0: Choose a card name, then mill a card. If the milled card has the chosen name, Sphinx of Self-Reflection gains hexproof until end of turn and you scry 1. Activate only once each turn. (To mill a card, put the top card of your library into your graveyard.)
Self-knowledge is protection; to know oneself is to know that the barrages of others cannot truly break you.
3/5
Last edited by haywire 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 1 month ago

Resplendent Heron 2uU
Creature — Bird (common)
Flash
Flying
Resplendent Heron has hexproof as long as it entered the battlefield this turn.
2/4

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 month ago

Scourge of Gurmag 3B
Creature — Dragon Skeleton (C)
Flying
Scourge of Gurmag enters the battlefield tapped with two stun counters on it.
Scourge of Gurmag has indestructible as long as it has a stun counter on it.
There are places even the Silumgar dare not tread.
7/4

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 month ago

Project New Leaf 4GU
Creature - Giant Dog Plant (Common)
Project New Leaf Enters the battlefield with seven +1/+1 counters, an hexproof counter and an indestructible counter on it.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, they may move a counter from Project New Leaf to that creature.
"All the guilds distract Ravnica. At least we do it by cuteness."
- Yira, Simic PR Manager
0/0

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 month ago

Bozamara
Enchantment Creature — Illusion Spirit (C)
Affinity for enchantments (This spell costs less to cast for each enchantment you control.)
Sacrifice another enchantment: Bozamara gains flying or hexproof until end of turn.
Whenever I had prayed, it circled me squarely.
It flew up to stars, or hid in deep shade
When irkéd by its wade I looked at it sternly."
—Jan Gvezd, "Hallucinations"

3/5
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Viperousrook

Post by Viperousrook » 1 month ago

Storm-Tied Raven 2WU
Creature — Bird
Flying
Whenever Storm-Tied Raven becomes blocked it gains indestructible until end of turn.
Whenever you see a glowing blue raven fly overhead you know a storm is going to follow
—Guide of Phyllean Flora and Fauna
4/2

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 month ago

Distorted Faebeast 3BGU
Creature — Shapeshifter {C}
Changeling (This card is every creature type.)
Whenever a creature is put into any graveyard from anywhere, if it had flying, Distorted Faebeast gains flying until the end of turn. The same is true for lifelink and hexproof.
A distortion made clear by a broken mind.
3/5

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 month ago

Cosmic Hallucination 4u
Creature - Illusion (c)
: Cosmic Hallucination gains flying and hexproof. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next end step.
It is said that beyond the stars lay horrors that our minds could not even stand to witness. Some of the most broken minds among the asylum patients claim having seen those.
5/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

This round is closed! Top 5 in each judge's bracket will advance. Judging assignments are:

void_nothing
bravelion83
shullz
Ryder
slimytrout
Subject16
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Freyleyes
Henlock

@Ink-Treader
OneAndOnly
Raptorchan
marioguy3
AnotherAlias
haywire
Komandon
netn10
Viperousrook
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 month ago

All done. It seems 5 will be advancing from my pool.

EDIT: It was pointed to me that a part of one my critiques was left blank. This had no impact on the score; I know exactly why it ended up blank.

EDIT 2: I have had to make an impactful score change, reducing the number of advancing players to 5.

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike like this well enough for a common. It has some applications for Johnny, but this challenge was always going to be a rough one for Johnny appeal.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Suffers a bit for potentially forcing you to tap one of your own creatures, which apparently simply isn't done for mandatory 'tap on attack' trigger, which all appear to specify an opponent's creature or a creature defending player controls.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Rarity is correct. Blue doesn't do indestructibility like this, usually having it (or a counter that grants it) as part of a cycle of cards.
(3/3) Balance - Looks like a solid and playable common. Not much else to say.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Part of a long line of 'tap on attack' cards, most of which are white, granted, but 'size' as a term is a clever way to try and spice this up a bit.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Seeing as there isn't already a "Whirlwind Elemental", I won't give you a hard time about the name. Flavor is cute, though I'm not exactly sure why tapping a creature of sufficient size makes it indestructible.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - It's too soon to shorten to 'enters' I'm afraid. Also, you have a comma after the first part of that ability, when it should be a period.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Fulfills all subchallenges.

Total: 20.5/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike like this well enough for a common. It has some applications for Johnny, but this challenge was always going to be a rough one for Johnny appeal.
(3/3) Elegance - As a common should be.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Color is correct. I suspect that this shouldn't be common; it's essentially a growing flyer that already starts at a decent size, and something like that can very easily take over a game in Limited. Considering the Main Challenge, I will be judging that more harshly.
(2/3) Balance - I like that, assuming you keep hitting lands, that this can be both flying and indestructible the turn you get to swing with it. This does seem like a really good mana sink in Limited, especially since unlike Outlast, it doesn't delay your attack.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A new mechanic helps this stand out a bit, even if it's somewhat similar to Outlast. The trigger specifically referencing the activation of the growth ability is also fairly unusual.
(2.5/3) Flavor - My only question is why doesn't the Pterodon fly to begin with? It does look like it would be dubious to try and add flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - This looks correct.
(2/2) Subchallenges - All subchallenges fulfilled.

Total: 20.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - I think this has well rounded appeal.

Development
(1/3) Viability - This doesn't fit how red uses indestructible. I feel this might be doing too much at common for a Limited environment, since a 5/2 flier that can (though kind of spendy) become indestructible looks really annoying to deal with, especially since you're not really losing a card to do it with that activated ability. Considering the Main Challenge, I will have to judge that more harshly.
(2/3) Balance - It's a 5/2 that can become indestructible in response to things, so it seems like a very strong beater in Limited, for a common. I don't know if it's playable in

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Pitiless Vizier has that triggered ability, and that activated ability exists (and slightly cheaper) on Famished Foragers. The package is somewhat novel, at least.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I think the flavor would work better if it you were actually spending a card to get indestructible, rather than getting because you happen to be rummaging. Otherwise, I like the idea.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "draw" in the activated ability should be capitalized "Draw"
(2/2) Subchallenges - All subchallenges fulfilled.

Total: 19/25
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes this fine. Johnny isn't terribly excited, and Spike generally hates giving opponents a choice, especially when they think refusing to pay the tribute will generally always be correct.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit annoying that this exiles a whole graveyard, but only checks creature cards for life gain.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Color is fine. I wouldn't blink at this being uncommon, and looking at the small set of tribute creatures there are, this does look like it fits in better at uncommon than common. Given the nature of the Main Challenge, I shall have to judge more harshly for that.
(3/3) Balance - If they pay the tribute, the rate is pretty good, for a common. If they don't, the consolation is alright. I think it's fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Quite a few cards that gain life off of exiling cards from graveyards, but only Rotfeaster Maggot appears to offer life gain based off the exiled card's qualities, and this even picks a different quality. Still not quite that novel, but interesting to note.
(3/3) Flavor - I quite like it.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - There's a bit of rhyme going on with that flavor text I've notices, but I'm fairly certain the word you want is "foils", not "fails".
(1/2) Subchallenges - Only the first subchallenge is fulfilled; The gap between power and toughness is less than 2, and this doesn't have nor gain hexproof.

Total: 19/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - I think both Timmy and Johnny will enjoy this card. Spike will probably like it fine too, since the set up is asks for isn't too onerous, but they'd prefer something always certain.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - You've made the interesting decision to use a line of rules text that has never appeared on a (non-Un) common, that being "Choose a card name". Not inherently a flaw, but this card does feel a little unusual for common, and I do think would fit better at uncommon, which I will be judging more harshly for given the Main Challenge. Color is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - I definitely don't think it's overpowered for Limited though. Seems fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This feels fairly unique; "choose a card name" hasn't been used quite like this at all. The results aren't terribly novel, but it's certainly different.
(3/3) Flavor - Yeah, this works nicely.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Predict suggests the wording should be "If a card with the chosen name was milled this way", not "If the milled card has the chosen name".
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both fulfilled.

Total: 22/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This is not a Johnny card. Timmy and Spike will like it, though.
(3/3) Elegance - Quite so.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I don't see any issues with this. It's technically a bit better than all existing Flash fliers for 3U, (namely having +1 toughness over them and the temporary hexproof) but not in a way that makes it feel like a bomb, just very handy.
(3/3) Balance - Not much to say. It's very solid common.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - There appear to be three examples of that hexproof condition. The whole package is new at least, but there's nothing else going on here.
(2/3) Flavor - The name works with the abilities a bit, if generically. There's a lot of room for flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 21/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes it, and it has some intriguing possibilities for Johnny. Spike will be doing their damnedest to prevent opponents from sticking creatures, since this picks apart especially fast to mass tokens.
(3/3) Elegance - Seems fine.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - This is uncommon at the very least, something I will have to dock you more harshly than usual for considering the Main Challenge. Colors are appropriate.
(2/3) Balance - The drawback is very harsh, as an opponent nicking indestructible or hexproof for their own bombs will feel terrible in Limited, not to mention cards that create multiple tokens picking this apart very fast. It is good against decks with little to no creatures, assuming it's allowed to resolve.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The counter nicking it offers opponents is quite unique, at least.
(3/3) Flavor - That's a neat flavor idea, at least.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be "a hexproof counter", not "an hexproof counter". The name the quote is being attributed to in the flavor text also needs to be italicized.
(0.5/2) Subchallenges - Only the "has or can gain hexproof and/or indestructible" half of Subchallenge 2 is fulfilled.

Total: 19.5/25
Viperousrook
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - No Johnny appeal. Timmy and Spike like it fine.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Colors are good. The list of fliers with 4 power for 4 mana at common is tiny, and they all have drawbacks. Do not underestimate how good flying is despite being the most common keyword ability. I will be judging this more harshly due to the Main Challenge.
(2/3) Balance - It's going to be really damned annoying to deal with this in combat in Limited, and it will demand answers.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Curiously, that indestructible trigger is new. Otherwise, not really breaking new ground.
(2/3) Flavor - Wish it had more to do with storms, as the indestructible trigger doesn't really fit with that flavor.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - While it is correct on your render, the render is optional, and the flavor text in the required text version is not italicized like it should be. This is also true of the rarity indicator. Both forms of your flavor text are also missing a period at the end, and should also be in quotations, since it's being attributed. There should be a comma between "becomes blocked" and the rest of the ability.

Total: 18.5/25
Scores (bold advance)
Show
Hide
haywire: 22
Komandon: 21
OneAndOnly: 20.5
Raptorchan: 20.5
netn10: 19.5

marioguy3: 19
AnotherAlias: 19
Viperousrook: 18.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy would like a flying, indestructible creature with midsize power. Jxnny doesn't see that much of interest. Spike sees this as a Limited pick that's rather hard to deal with in combat, which pushes it up from what would normally be a mid-pick.
(3/3) Elegance - No issues here - the triggered ability is very easy to understand.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - No issues at common. Being able to play this in monoblue, however, feels borderline - the triggered ability is clearly black, yet can be paid for with generic mana. It's not the biggest breach there is, but still not fully in-pie.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, while this can be difficult to stop on the attack, it's quite vulnerable to removal otherwise and depends on a nonrenewable resource to get indestructible.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a French vanilla card, but it's got a few new twists. There are plenty of creatures that gain temporary indestructible from attacking, but none have flying. The use of monohybrid is also pretty unusual.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Flavor text seems to go on a bit too long - after all, we all kind of know what vultures do - and could be chopped down to "When it selects a grave to feed on, it dives with a speed nothing can stop" or something.

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
shullz
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Clearly a Txmmy card, and Spike would appreciate opening this in Limited. Not much here for Jxnny.
(3/3) Elegance - Very nice.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I must say that for Limited purposes this is a strong common, but it's okay at common nonetheless. (Yes, I think it could be Pauper playable too.) Thoroughly blue as well.
(2.5/3) Balance - As noted above, this might be a touch more than we might expect from a common in terms of power.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Nothing all that new going on here, but the ability granting the keywords is formatted in a somewhat innovative way and landcycling, while more common these days, is also something to make this a bit distinct.
(3/3) Flavor - There are tons of blue Fish and Sharks that have flying without much explanation, but this comes together beautifully and DOES explain itself.

Polish
(2.75/3) Quality - This is a terribly minor point: There should be a common after "otherwise".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.

Total: 21.75/25
Ryder
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - A Txmmy/Spike card with little Jxnny appeal (I'm starting to see a pattern).
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to argue with the level of elegance here.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Colors check out very well, but haste, flying, and indestructible are a VERY potent combination that points toward uncommon, to say nothing of having three keywords in the first place.
(2.5/3) Balance - Again, a bit sketchy at common for Limited: I would prefer to see only a moderate number of these in Draft.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Obviously not breaking much new ground, but everything here is put together in a new way.
(2.75/3) Flavor - I like this a lot. Neat worldbuilding - puts me in mind of a "heavy metal album cover" world that isn't Norse (i.e. not Kaldheim). The one minor quibble I have is the idea of dragoons taking a powerful leap isn't based on anything in Magic and certainly not on historical dragoons, but Final Fantasy, and without that context this wouldn't work as well. (I have a whole rant I could go on about the historical/nominal accuracy of creatures with "Dragoon" in their name in Magic, but that's neither here nor there.)

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - So there is no issue with the card's grammar or formatting per se, but as worded it may not work the way you want. A creature that has indestructible only as long as it's attacking will lose indestructible after the end of combat step, and if it has lethal combat damage marked on it at that point, it will be destroyed. For what I think is intended, it would have to say "as long as it attacked this turn."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.

Total: 20.75/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the body, Jxnny has things to play with when it comes to dethrone and turning on the triggered ability by other means, Spike has plenty of use for this in Limited.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Mostly quite elegant but dethrone adds a little bit of tracking complexity,

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - White works well, but this is a serious edge case in rarity terms if not an outright uncommon design.
(2/3) Balance - A bit swingy, if nothing else: A Giant Cockroach isn't great even in Limited, but if dethrone triggers... well, a 5/3 that even temporarily gains flying and indestructible is a huge deal. Definitely able to create comebacks, that's for sure.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - I was surprised to see there hasn't yet been a white dethrone card (I was thinking of the white melee creatures), and that simple use of a keyword sets this card apart from the pack in terms of uniqueness.
(3/3) Flavor - Simple and effective. Count me among those who wished the Rebel creature type were used in the Conspiracy sets also.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy is all about this, clearly. Jxnny definitely wants an undercosted beater with a drawback that there are multiple ways around. Spike might consider this but it's sort of unreliable.
(2,5/3) Elegance - Slightly more text than I'd expect from a common, but nothing too bad.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I'd expect a creature that ETBs tapped and stunned to be blue, but black also makes sense. This feels way more uncommon than it does common, however.
(3/3) Balance - Under normal circumstances it'll take three untap steps to come online and there's a period of vulnerability while it's still tapped but has no stun counters. I'd say this is fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A somewhat new take on suspend-alike abilities.
(3/3) Flavor - I like this. For the mechanics, the flavor of the mindless remains of an ancient dragon makes sense.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the body and possible keywords, Jxnny always likes affinity and sac outlets, Spike is way less interested.
(3/3) Elegance - Very easy to understand.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Common looks okay. Gaining hexproof is borderline but not unprecedented in white.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - not cheap unless you have a few enchantments out, not keywordy unless you sacrifice them.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Very creative for a common.
(3/3) Flavor - Very mysterious - I like it. Almost dreamlike. I can't find anything from a cursory search for the name "Bozamara" so I assume this is an original concept and not an actual mythical creature, but it fits in with Slavic ghosts such as the poludnitsa.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy card with some partial Jxnny appeal - Spike doesn't see the payoff as being worth the effort and mana cost unless they're already deep in the weeds of self-mill.
(2/3) Elegance - Concerted Effort variants always add complication, and it may not be easy to remember which abilities are counted by this card, leading to a lot of rereading.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity are spot-on.
(2.5/3) Balance - I'm not saying a common has to be anything special powerwise, but even fully powered up with all three keywords, this still isn't exactly a powerhouse. Could cost 1 less and still not be very strong.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A lot of unusual stuff going on here.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The worldbuilding implied by the name is pretty interesting, but doesn't fully accord with what changelings are in Magic.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That triggered ability should say "Whenever a creature card..." but it's also probably not your intent to exclude creature tokens dying, so you'd have to write out a longer trigger: "Whenever a creature dies or a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere..."

Total: 21/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Full points for Jxnny in Limited (who wants to counter the EOT triggered ability to keep the creature with the keywords indefinitely) and half from Txmmy and Spike, both of whom like the 5 power but not the fragility.
(2/3) Elegance - Deceptively complicated. Sets up a delayed triggered ability, lets an effect potentially continue over multiple turns...

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rarity looks okay, color is too - "bungee jump" flying is traditionally a red thing, but clearly blue can get it as well.
(3/3) Balance - No worries here.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Probably the most unusual version of temporary ability gaining I've seen in this round.
(3/3) Flavor - Big fan of this - feels a bit like Shadows Over Innistrad without the Eldrazi flavor.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - All good.

Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout 22.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta 22.5
Subject16 22
Henlock 22
shullz 21.75

bravelion83 21.5
Freyleyes 21
Ryder 20.75

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”