The DCC - March 12th, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Ok, telling you Kim's story right now feels very appropriate given the day I've been through in real life... I was looking for relief especially today when coming to check the site, one about my favorite game ever, yet failure awaited me again... see the MCC discussion thread if you want. Don't worry about that failure feeling, I'm used to it. And you're just about to understand why. I'm going to explicitly reveal a big thing about me publicly. A few already know that, maybe somebody else has gotten it among the lines of some posts of mine, but now for the first time I will share it publicly here. I have no problems telling people in real life, so why here?

Kimatt Kratich (also known as just "Kim") is the main protagonist of my story. All the seven you've met this week are protagonists, but Kim is the main one. Also, all seven reflect a part of me, but Kim is the one who reflects me the most. I created him right after a very important thing that happened in my life (that's not what I'm going to share now and I'm also not talking about the recent loss of my father, it happened back in 2013), The first chapter of my story is Kim's backstory as a planeswalker.

First, a premise. There are no gods on Vukanat. The being that acts as Vukanat's god is just an avatar of the plane's Worldsoul. Religion on Vukanat is essentially the cult of the Worldsoul, whose avatar appears to people on the plane. Also, one peculiarity of Vukanat's Worldsoul is that it's aware of the existence of other planes and planeswalkers. From now on I'll just be referring to the avatar of the Worldsoul as Vukanat's "god", though that's technically inaccurate. Just doing this for clarity.

At a certain point during his adolescence, Kim feels a call to serve his god, or at least he thinks he's feeling such a call. He does what people on Vukanat do in such cases: he chooses to enter a monastery and start the process needed to become a priest, which involves both prayer and study. That requires him to leave his home, which is a trauma to Vuk (remember when yesterday I told you Vuk's greatest fear is to lose his brother forever?) and Kim perfectly knows it. It's not easy for Kim to take that decision, and the scene where Kim tells Vuk that he has chosen to try to follow the call is very intense. Kim's adventure in the monastery goes very badly. He feels like he just doesn't belong in that place. He spends the first night awake crying the whole time, just like Vuk does at home. During his second day in the monastery, Kim has a vision of his god, who tells Kim he's going to make him a gift. Kim finds himself surrounded by light and when the light dissipates he's on a grass in the middle of nowhere (it's actually another plane, and Kim's spark has just ignited). Kim starts calling his god, crying again, not understanding what happened. Kim's god doesn't respond to him anymore, but after a short time light surrounds Kim again and he's back in the monastery in front of his god, who has just summoned Kim back. Kim's god explains to him about other planes and about planeswalkers, and tells him he's now one of them, giving him a mission: to bring help to people not even he, as Vukanat's Worldsoul, can't reach: those other planes, that he (Kim's god) can't reach because he's tied to Vukanat, being this plane's Worldsoul. A still disoriented Kim accepts the mission, and his god disappears. Kim understands that to achieve his mission he can't stay in the monastery if he has to wonder other places outside the monastery. So he leaves the monastery and goes back home, for the joy of Vuk. The two brothers are reunited, and Kim, now a planeswalker, is home to stay.

After about a year, that monastery's Head Priest knocks at the door of the Kratich family house and asks for Kim. The Head Priest explains to Kim that their god has disappeared, asking him to investigate the matter because he was the last one to have a vision and to have their god speak to him, maybe it will happen again. Kim accepts, but with one condition: that Vuk gets to join him as his vice-in-command as this time he doesn't want to leave his brother behind. The Head Priest accepts Kim's condition, and Kim and Vuk start investigating with the help of a team of scholars, mages, and priests. They discover their god has been kidnapped and imprisoned in an orb on the other side of the world. Realizing they will need to organize a military expedition to get there and free their god, Kim and Vuk ask the Head Priest to assemble an army to do so. The Head Priest grants them their wish but requires Kim to be the army's leader and Vuk his second-in-command. Kim and Vuk are willing to do that, but realize they can't command a whole army by themselves, they need to form a commanding team for the army. That's what these seven people I've introduced to this last week are: the army's commanding team.

Many chapters of the novel are dedicated to tell the story of the army's travel to the other side of the world to free their god. During one of those chapters, in the second half of the story, an event happens that changes Kim's life forever: he's hit by a lightning coming from a dark magical cloud that, among its multiple powers, is able to inflict on the ones it hits, including Kim, a fate that Kim himself will later define as "a fate even worse than death" (which by the way is Kim's greatest fear, as is mine). What happened to Kim? He got a "gift" he shares with me: depression. This is the big reveal. Yes, I've got depression. Don't worry, I'm followed by medical professionists and take meds everyday. Unfortunately for him, Kim will have to do without meds, but with the support of what he himself calls "the best brother I could have ever asked for" and of a group of refound friends, those you met this week. I told you Derk suffers from anxiety a few days ago, and I've got that too. Same thing about having medical support and meds applies here too, but again, not to Derk. Depression will influence Kim for the rest of his life.

In the end, they manage to defeat the antagonist, the one who kidnapped Vukanat's Worldsoul for reasons unknown to both the in-story characters and the reader, but that will be discovered in later sets and stories already planned, and to free their god, but that doesn't cause that dark cloud or its unwanted gift to Kim to go away. They have also lost their whole army in the travel, and only the seven of them are left, a commanding team who has nothing more to command other than themselves. After all that is done, they make the travel back (off-screen) to go home.

But the story isn't over yet. The following and final chapters are dedicated to give resolution to two sub-plots: the original mission that Kim's god gave him while in the monastery at the beginning, and all the others trying to help Kim with his depression. The former ends up with Vuk discovering a way (that I'm not revealing here and that doesn't involve omenpaths, as they didn't exist in real Magic as I was writing the story, and also because they don't exist in my Multiverse for cosmological reasons that maybe I will tell you in the future but not now) to go with his brother in his planar travels, that is be able to planeswalk with Kim even with Vuk not being a planeswalker. They will wonder the planes in my Multiverse together, and in fact the story arc starting here follows Kim and Vuk's planar adventures. The latter sub-plot has no resolution, even though Kim's relatives (Vuk and Derk) and friends (the others you've met this week: Krest, Ratka, Mirka, and Drago too at the end of the story) all try their best to help Kim living together with his new friend, again one that I share with Kim: depression.

DCC Scroreboard

RattingRots 34 (+4)
netn10 28 (+2)
Rithaniel 24 (+2)
bravelion83 21 (+4)
OneAndOnly 18 (+2)
marioguy3 11
void_nothing 6
archemedesx 5
KB52665 4
MonoRedMage 4

bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: Rithaniel, RattingRots (though in "Enchant creature" the word "creature" should not be capitalized)

Vuksa's Resolve RW
Instant (U)
Vuksa's Resolve deals 2 damage to any target. Until end of turn, another target creature gets +2/+2 and gains "This creature has first strike as long as it's attacking."
"Kim is the single person I care about the most in the world. Us getting apart is my greatest fear. I will never allow it! I tell you: no one will ever take my brother away from me! Ever!"
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83 (though I would order the effects differently) and netn10 (though I would phrase it as "Choose the following in any order")
Wall of Mud -- 1UB
Creature - Wall {U}
Defender, protection from creatures with haste
Whenever Wall of Mud blocks a creature without haste, put a stun counter on that creature.
0/5
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, bravelion83

Ask for Alchemy R
Instant (Uncommon)
Escalate 1u
Choose one or more -
* Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
* You may discard an instant and a sorcery card. If you do, draw two cards.
* Put a stun counter on target land.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, netn10

Frostmind Totem
Artifact R
: Until end of turn, Frostmind Totem becomes a 1/1 Spirit Bird artifact creature with flying, menace, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player with more cards in hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference."
, , Sacrifice Frostmind Totem: Target player with more cards in hand than you discards cards equal to the difference. Activate only as a sorcery.
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly , RattingRots
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, Rithaniel

Day 9: Castle Making
Sorcery (Rare)
Draw two cards, then exile cards from the top of your library until you exile cards equal to the highest mana value among permanents you control. You may play those cards until the end of your next turn.
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: netn10, marioguy3
Bare-Knuckle Brawl - (R/G)U
Instant - Tactics {U}
(Play during combat, before damage. )
Phase out each Aura or Equipment that is attached to an attacking or blocking creature.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Votes: netn10, Rithaniel

Kimatt's Integrity URW
Sorcery (U)
Draw a card, then you may discard a card. If you do, repeat this process. You can't repeat this process more than twice (in addition to the original instructions). Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of cards you drew this way.
"What can I say? I've just received gifts I don't feel like I deserve, and I was told to make good use of them. I don't want to compromise, not even with myself. I have my beliefs, and I want to stay true to them. In the end, I'm just trying to do the best I can."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

Votes: marioguy3, OneAndOnly
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, Rithaniel

Homarid's Chitin 3
Artifact (C)
T: Add U.
1U, T: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
///
Homaridbane Kavu 2RG
Creature - Kavu (C)
Trample
Protection from blue (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, enchanted, or equipped by anything blue.)
3: Homaridbane Kavu gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
3/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, marioguy3

Forgot the colors on Frostmind Totem, but it's probably clear what colors it would be.

Soulchip Totem
Artifact R
, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on Soulchip Totem. Until end of turn, it becomes a 2/2 Demon Lizard creature with lifelink and trample that is black, red, and green.
, , Sacrifice Soulchip Totem: Return each creature card in your graveyard with mana value 2 or less to the battlefield.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Votes: marioguy3, OneAndOnly

Ask For Clarity 1B
Instant (Uncommon)
Escalate 1W
Choose one or more -
* Destory target enchantment you don't control.
* Return target creature with mana value 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
* Each player draws two cards and loses 2 life.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”