The DCC - March 8th, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

And today I'm late. I'm sorry, but I literally came back home less than an hour ago. I expected today to be exhausting and well... it was. But it was also a good day, and multiple things have advanced. The war isn't over, but today's battle has been good, I admit that. And for a person like me, that's pretty big to say.

Today you're going to meet Ratka, the intelligence expert of the group.

Ratka is a young human woman who, as a child, was interested in reading books no one else of her age would ever read, like books about conspiracy theories, spies, real investigations and such. She also had a diffident character back then, it was hard to become her friend as she took a very long time to trust you. That only worsened with her growing up, and what was just a simple but strange interest as a child turned into paranoia and obsession as an adult. For example, she has a very hard time forming stable romantic relationships because she never really trusts her boyfriend, and in the end they get tired of her lack of trust and dump her. That's happened several times to her in her life. She's currently single, which is rather obvious given that cycle of knowledge, distrust, and dumping that I've just talked about, and that she's actually fully aware of, but she just can't help it. But she also has a positive side: she has a very deep sense of curiosity and desire of knowledge, she has brought her love of reading from childhood into adulthood, and she has a very strong will to always look for the truth, knowing that it often hides behind how things appear at first glance. In that, she's not that far from Ezrim, but she also has a dark side that makes her core blue but secondary black rather than white.

In the group, she manages intelligence and she commands a subgroup of spies, people that she knows very well and that have hardly gained her trust. She has a very bad relationship with Derk, which you met yesterday, and who manages the rest of the army they're commanding as their official tactician. She deeply distrust Derk, even worse than she does with other people, not considering him worthy of the job he's been given. Derk, on his part, totally returns those feelings towards her. Neither he likes her. He sees her as too obsessed and paranoid for her job. In the end, they have to collaborate to manage the whole group and their army, but they almost hate each other. The results are often not the best obviously, and them agreeing on the next move is practically impossible.

DCC Scroreboard

netn10 19 (+3)
Rithaniel 18 (+2)
RattingRots 14 (+7)
OneAndOnly 13 (+4)
bravelion83 12 (+2)
void_nothing 6
archemedesx 5
KB52665 4
marioguy3 4

bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, RattingRots

Today say hi to Derk! Don't worry, he's a nice guy. Just don't mention his brain to him and everything will be fine...

Derkin's Plan WU
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top card of your library, then you may choose a card in your graveyard. If you do, exchange those cards. (The card stays on top of your library if you can't or don't choose a card in your graveyard to exchange it with.)
"Look, I'm a professional tactician. Planning ahead is my job, but feelings can't be planned unfortunately. You can plan everything outside of you, but nothing inside. I wish you could."
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: Rithaniel, OneandOnly

The early post threw me off, but might as well strike early this day.

Day 5: Counterproof
Instant (Rare)
The next X spells you cast can't be countered. Add X .
Scry 1.
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots , bravelion83
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, netn10
Culmination of Flame -- 7R
Sorcery {R}
Culmination of Flame deals damage to any target equal to the total mana value of spells you have cast this turn.
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
OneAndOnly, netn10

Niambi's Command WU
Instant (R)
Choose two--
-Target creature can't be blocked this turn.
-Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn.
-Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
-Remove all counters from target creature.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 months ago
Votes - RattingRots, netn10

Bestial Toughs 2R
Creature - Centaur Minotaur Viashino {U}
When Bestial Toughs enters the battlefield, choose one -
- Destroy target artifact with mana value 1 or less.
- Creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.
- Scry 1, then add R.
If neither the Gruul nor the Boros nor the Izzet wanted them, someone would.
3/3
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, Rithaniel

Beauty in Destruction 2RR
Sorcery (Rare)
Destroy each artifact and nonbasic land. For each permanent destroyed this way, its controller creates a Treasure token.
"If only the Guildless knew the secrets hidden beneath the tiny veil of 'progress' and 'grandeur' that the other guilds boast of. Surely, they would join us in uncovering the lost beauty buried beneath it all..."
- Yarus, Roar of the Old Gods
Rithaniel wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, RattingRots

Turn Back the Aeons
Sorcery R
Choose up three target cards in your graveyard. If you spent to cast this spell, you may cast a sorcery card from among those cards without paying its mana cost. If you spent to cast this spell, you may put an artifact or enchantment card from among them onto the battlefield. If you spent to cast this spell, you may put a creature card from among them onto the battlefield. Return the rest to your hand. Exile Turn Back the Aeons.
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 7 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Votes: Rithaniel, MonoRedMage

Ratka's Diffidence UB
Instant (U)
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered this way, you may pay life equal to half that spell's mana value, rounded down. If you do, draw that many cards.
"You shouldn't distrust information just because your source isn't exactly legal. You know what you can't trust instead? The mainstream. Never believe what the system tells you. Always remember that official sources will only tell you what they want you to believe, not what's true."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: netn10, marioguy3
City Mortician -- 2B
Creature - Human Citizen {U}
If a creature you control would die, sacrifice it instead.
B, T: Put target creature card in a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library.
"I've seen knife-wounds, burn marks, bite marks, gouges, concussions, scrapes, and fungal infestations -- but I yain't never seen nothin' like that before!"
1/4

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots , netn10
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Votes: MonoRedMage, bravelion83

Day 6: Golem Wall

Creature - Golem (Rare)
Indestructible
Golem Wall can't attack.
Whenever another creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on Day 6: Golem Wall.
4/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Smugscatter 1GW
Creature - Elemental (Rare)
Flash
When Smugscatter enters the battlefield, destroy target enchantment you don't control.
Evoke B
Madness 1B
Unearth 2B
4/4

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 months ago

MonoRedMage, Rithaniel

Go Berserk R
Sorcery (U)
Kicker 4R
Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains haste until end of turn.
If ~ was kicked, untap that creature the next time it attacks this turn and there is an additional combat phase after this phase.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Votes: bravelion83, marioguy3

Icy Depths
Snow Land R
Icy Depths enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
, Sacrifice another snow land: Until end of turn, Icy Depths becomes an 8/8 blue Leviathan creature with hexproof and trample. It's still a snow land.
"As I sank deeper into that inky, icy darkness, I felt, rather than saw, its motions."
—Yeng, Cultist of the Cold
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”