Eowyn's Rohirrim and Friends

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

I've been making upgrades to the precon here. The curve feels a little high, but I like the pieces. I have a light legends-matters theme.

So far, the deck goes WIIIIIIDE and keeps cards flowing. In a couple games the bottleneck has been mana available, rather than resources, and it can fall a bit flat if Eowyn gets removed (being both a source of draw and bodies).

I'd appreciate any suggests on obvious adds or cuts here--many of these cards I haven't played with ever, so it's hard to judge. I did cut most of the monarch stuff, since I don't want to defend it, but there are some that could come back. Also, a lot of the Azorius-aligned legends, and the Faramirs, that make tokens when a requirement is met looked like they might be tough to trigger consistently, and miss Eowyn's beginning of combat trigger.
Ride Forth Rohirrim!

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by yeti1069 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 10 months ago

Rick, Steadfast Leader is very strong in a humans deck.

Not a human, but Terror of the Peaks and Purphoros, God of the Forge could be strong considerations.

You could probably go hard on hatebears and still get what you're needing out of the commander.

yeti1069

Chromaticus wrote:
10 months ago
Rick, Steadfast Leader is very strong in a humans deck.

Not a human, but Terror of the Peaks and Purphoros, God of the Forge could be strong considerations.

You could probably go hard on hatebears and still get what you're needing out of the commander.
I was looking hard at Rick, but it's $60+, and I'm not sure I like the deck enough to plunk down that much $$ on a card for it.

Purphoros, Terror, and Impact Tremors would all be very strong here. In my last game, I made about 50 tokens with Call the Coppercoats (cast w/ full strive, then attacked with Narset to cast it from yard and paid for strive once). I had Vigilante Justice in play, but it got removed in response.

I was considering that route, but I'm keeping the deck fairly casual at the moment. I for sure have Drannith and a handful of other hatebears sitting in the 'maybe' pile on my desk.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

Purphoros, God of the Forge and Impact Tremors I'd recommend, especially if you add in Increasing Devotion and Visions of Glory.

Worthy Knight and Thraben Doomsayer allow Éowyn, Shieldmaiden's ability to trigger the turn you cast her.

Champion of the Parish, Esper Sentinel, and Mother of Runes are all solid 1 drops.

I like Cyclonic Rift better than Supreme Verdict or Blasphemous Act.

Clever Concealment can protect your creatures from an opponent's Cyclonic Rift in a way that Unbreakable Formation, Boromir, Warden of the Tower, and Gerrard, weatherlight hero can't.

Kindred Discovery I think is a better card draw than Chart a Course.

I like Odric, Master Tactician better than Odric, Lunarch Marshal.

Cards like Deflecting Swat, Fierce Guardianship, and Flawless Maneuver are really good. Cards like Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort, Urza's Incubator and Smothering Tithe help you ramp.

I think you have too many 5 drops, especially with your commander costing 5. I would look at cutting Taunt from the Rampart, Nahiri's Resolve, and/or Djeru and Hazoret. I also think that 20 3 drops is a lot. I would look to cut some of those.

I don't know how good Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is when you also have a bunch of non-creature spells. Narset, Enlightened Exile is strange though for how few non-creature spells you're playing. It's weird to play both Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Narset, Enlightened Exile in the same deck. You're simultaneously rewarding and punishing yourself for playing noncreature spells.

Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer seems like he's meant for a burn deck, not a tribal deck.

These are other cards I'd look at possibly cutting:
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
Purphoros, God of the Forge and Impact Tremors I'd recommend, especially if you add in Increasing Devotion and Visions of Glory.

Worthy Knight and Thraben Doomsayer allow Éowyn, Shieldmaiden's ability to trigger the turn you cast her.

Champion of the Parish, Esper Sentinel, and Mother of Runes are all solid 1 drops.

Clever Concealment can protect your creatures from an opponent's Cyclonic Rift in a way that Unbreakable Formation, Boromir, Warden of the Tower, and Gerrard, weatherlight hero can't.

Cards like Deflecting Swat, Fierce Guardianship, and Flawless Maneuver are really good. Cards like Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort, Urza's Incubator and Smothering Tithe help you ramp.

I think you have too many 5 drops, especially with your commander costing 5. I would look at cutting Taunt from the Rampart, Nahiri's Resolve, and/or Djeru and Hazoret. I also think that 20 3 drops is a lot. I would look to cut some of those.

I don't know how good Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is when you also have a bunch of non-creature spells. Narset, Enlightened Exile is strange though for how few non-creature spells you're playing. It's weird to play both Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Narset, Enlightened Exile in the same deck. You're simultaneously rewarding and punishing yourself for playing noncreature spells.

Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer seems like he's meant for a burn deck, not a tribal deck.

I'll try to take your suggestions in order here:
Purphoros and Impact Tremors should almost certainly be in here. As you noted, my curve is a bit too high, so I'd probably go with Tremors here first, even though Purphoros is a much better card. Visions of Glory I don't like as much as Increasing Devotion--ID can be used on an empty board to built a board presence (of crappy 1/1s), whereas Visions is only going to be better (on the front side) if you have more than 5 creatures in play already. Sure, it combination with several other effects, it turns a strong board into a winning one, but for the mana cost I don't love how reliant it is on already doing well.

Worthy Knight I think doesn't have enough support here (only 7 knights besides the commander), other than triggering Eowyn automatically the turn she's cast, and I don't know if that's enough synergy to be worth an inclusion. Thraben looks...ok. I suppose that for going wide, it adding a body every turn will be relevant, but it's always looked very lackluster to me.

I need to proxy additional copies of Esper Sentinel--I'm always a little hesitant to proxy nonland cards, but I agree that it should be in here. MoR should as well for being so strong. Champion can get very big, very fast, but without any keywords, I don't know how much I care about that. It was in my pile initially, but got taken out for other stuff. Could go back in.

For sure, CycRift is the better card here, as well as Raise the Palisade, and perhaps Winds of Abandon. Clever Concealment is a card I was looking at here as well.

Kindred Discovery is in the same boat as Esper Sentinel at the moment--my other copies are elsewhere, and I haven't gotten around to proxying one here. That said, I think the deck could use cheap card draw, and Chart looks like a solid version of the effect here. I'm not sure that I would replace the 2-mana spell with the 5, but would rather include both. However, I've also had games where I made a TON of tokens, and would have real concerns about decking myself with KD.

On Odric vs Odric, I like that Lunarch provides a benefit immediately (with Eowyn, your whole field gets haste, trample, and first strike as a minimum), while Tactician needs a turn to swing, or haste from another source. You may be right about it being stronger, but I felt like I have enough key words floating around here that going wide with them was going to make sense.

The free spells would be decent here for sure. Incubator could be useful with my highish curve, but I'd have to see how many targets it actually has. Smothering Tithe I've been thinking about, since mana has often been the bottleneck here.

Djeru I'm close to cutting. I like the idea of it, and have made some choices prioritizing legendary creatures over nonlegendaries as part of its inclusion, but being 5 mana, needing to attack, and having the possibility of whiffing has put it on the chopping block. Taunt will get cut after I get to cast it a time or two. It's still in here just because I want to play it first. Nahiri's we're testing. It does a lot the deck wants.

Narset is in here almost exclusively because I pulled one, think it's a cool card, and it fits thematically. Did you notice that it casts from ANY graveyard, and that it gives your whole team prowess? I had a game recently where I cast Call the Coppercoats with strive x2 (+1/+1 to my existing team), then attacked with Narset and my army, recast Call out of the yard and strived once more (+2/+2 to my team from Narset off these), Making something like 40 creatures in the turn. That's one case, but Narset also cast a Swords to Plowshares out of my yard, and a Cultivate out of an opponent's yard that game as well. I don't think it's the best inclusion as a 5-drop here, but I do think it does a lot, and gives the deck some additional avenues it can play with. Contrasting with Thalia is for sure an issue, and Thalia may not stay--I was looking at legendaries to support Djeru, and it's a strong effect. I don't know that I'm casting enough noncreature spells that this impacts me too much--adding 1 mana once per turn isn't too bad, generally, whereas it can really put the brakes on decks looking to cast 2+ spells/turn.

Rem was included partly in support of the legendary subtheme, partly as a flying human for Odric, and partly as defense against damage-based removal (and my own Blasphemous Act). It's not great, and could easily be cut.

Dawnbringer...not great, but some removal on a body isn't bad.

Devout Chaplain I think I want to play with more here. I feel like I do often have a number of bodies lying around that are either not attacking or have vigilance, and this turns those into removal, while also being a human synergies piece. Given how light the deck is on removal, I feel like I'd be hard-pressed to remove this without swapping in some other form of interaction. The biggest knock against Chaplain is it's slow.

PFB is a great card, and I don't know why you'd look to cut it--the deck is positioned well to be hitting multiple players a turn, needs mana, AND is able to get in with first strikers/double strikers, which means PFB can be making more than 3 treasures per combat fairly regularly. I wouldn't play Smothering Tithe over PFB in this deck.

Thalia, Heretic Cathar is a legendary human with decent stats for the cost that is a pretty strong stax piece, but for slowing down opponents and making it harder to produce blockers to slow me down. I rate this very highly here.

Theoden is BONKERS unless you're running something else to just give everything double strike (which probably comes in around 5+ CMC). With how the deck produces tokens, it's often giving 2-4 creatures double strike a turn, for 3 mana.

Verge Rangers can absolutely go. I've found it somewhat useful for knowing the top card of my library, and have been able to play a land off the top a few times, but it's certainly not great.

Mangara is kind of a defensive card in what wants to be an aggro deck, but it does draw a lot of cards, is a human for typal concerns, and provides life link to Odric. It doesn't necessarily need to be here (this is probably a slot I would swap out for Kindred Discovery), but I've found it to be a pretty solid card.

On the whole, I agree that I could stand to shave some 3- and 5- drops, could include some more efficient/stronger pieces.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

I can't help but think that your curve is waaaaay high; Éowyn, Shieldmaiden's templating wants you to:

1) have 2 other humans before Eowyn
2) play 1 other human precombat, or have one enter, the turn Eowyn comes down (making her a virtual 6+ drop) unless you want to just leave her swinging in the breeze

The three drops that vomit out humans like Adeline, Resplendent Cathar that vomit out humans are *pretty good*, but 3+ drops that don't make humans or make mana are dubious includes and should be heavily questioned.

But even Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, because she triggers in combat, won't trigger Eowyn's ability so she's more of a "set up to have 2 other humans before Eowyn" card.

If you think of Eowyn as a 6 drop that wants you to have a enough 1 drops (or effects) to trigger her when she comes down, I think it changes the way you ramp and play.

I think what I would do is:
* categorize creature cards by whether they A) enable a human entering in precombat along with Eowyn, or B) enable having 2 humans before Eowyn comes out (so that your third makes a total of 6 humans)
* think hard about the way to ramp into Eowyn ( cards like Professional Face-Breaker are great! I'd think about Captain Lannery Storm as well)

I think that cards like Talisman of Creativity or whatever just do not really do anything. They're not humans, they don't ramp enough to help you hit a 5 drop without also fixing your hand somehow. These cards should be humans or ramp spells that help you get to 5.

As sometimes anti-synergistic as swords are with making hasted tokens in combat, I'd think about Sword of Hearth and Home, Sword of Forge and Frontier and Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale as options here. they are really, really good with the volume of 1-2 drops I think you should be on. Even dumb stuff like Beamtown Beatstick can do a lot of work.

Then Return to the Ranks is another card that is dope, since you can cast it with your dudes; even casting it for X=1 to get a human trigger for Eowyn is going to be baller (and it can be free).

As far as which 1 drops, I think Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged is an example of a great one that can flip and protect Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and works great sequencing with her too.

I would, I think, aim to get 20x 1-2 drops if you can, long term :)

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago

Worthy Knight I think doesn't have enough support here (only 7 knights besides the commander), other than triggering Eowyn automatically the turn she's cast, and I don't know if that's enough synergy to be worth an inclusion. Thraben looks...ok. I suppose that for going wide, it adding a body every turn will be relevant, but it's always looked very lackluster to me.

PFB is a great card, and I don't know why you'd look to cut it--the deck is positioned well to be hitting multiple players a turn, needs mana, AND is able to get in with first strikers/double strikers, which means PFB can be making more than 3 treasures per combat fairly regularly. I wouldn't play Smothering Tithe over PFB in this deck.

Theoden is BONKERS unless you're running something else to just give everything double strike (which probably comes in around 5+ CMC). With how the deck produces tokens, it's often giving 2-4 creatures double strike a turn, for 3 mana.
Triggering Eowyn the turns she's cast is what the deck should be designed around. Even Outlaws' Merriment may be worth including, as they help out not only your commander, but also Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Thalia's Lieutenant, Lossarnach Captain, Champion of the Parish, Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Mass Appeal, and Éomer, King of Rohan.

I read PFB wrong and thought you could only get 1 treasure a turn. It definitely seems great and I'll be looking to add it to my deck.

Theoden just seems worse than Blade Historian to me. If you have Blade Historian in play then Theoden doesn't do anything, and Blade Historian automatically provides it to all your creatures, not requiring ETB effects.
pokken wrote:
10 months ago

As far as which 1 drops, I think Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged is an example of a great one that can flip and protect Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and works great sequencing with her too.

I would, I think, aim to get 20x 1-2 drops if you can, long term :)
20 is a lot. I run 15 in my list and one of them is Snapcaster Mage. I think the issue is without the deck having access to black or green there's a limit on how many solid 1-2 drops it has. Adding more 1-2 drops is easy when they're Jirina, Dauntless General, General's Enforcer, Katilda, Dawnhart Prime, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Hajar, Loyal Bodyguard, Zulaport Cutthroat, and Noble Hierarch. When they're Cathar Commando, Prince Imrahil the Fair, Harsh Mentor, Humble Defector, Denethor, Stone Seer, Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged, and Recruitment Officer it's not the same.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
20 is a lot. I run 15 in my list and one of them is Snapcaster Mage. I think the issue is without the deck having access to black or green there's a limit on how many solid 1-2 drops it has.
I think there are plenty of great 1-2 drop humans across UWR. Red has some really serious quality these days.

Grim Lavamancer Dragonmaster Outcast Norin the Wary are a few you missed at 1
Conspiracy Theorist Feldon, Ronom Excavator Kargan Dragonlord Kari Zev, Skyship Raider Lightning Mauler Magmatic Channeler
Robber of the Rich Trailblazing Historian

(powerful 2 drops that are functionally 3-4)
Dire Fleet Daredevil Abbot of Keral Keep

I would also consider cards like Tithe and Preordain / Ponder to be solid early drops worth considering in a deck like this to fill out the curve.

side note:
Dualcaster Mage is a human and has a great combo with Twinflame which is itself a very functional card in the deck (acting like a 2 drop human that can also win you the game). A double strived twinflame rates to spell lights out a lot of the time. Dualcaster Mage also functions as a counterspell that is a human, which is very handy :)

NZB2323

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
20 is a lot. I run 15 in my list and one of them is Snapcaster Mage. I think the issue is without the deck having access to black or green there's a limit on how many solid 1-2 drops it has.
I think there are plenty of great 1-2 drop humans across UWR. Red has some really serious quality these days.

Grim Lavamancer Dragonmaster Outcast Norin the Wary are a few you missed at 1
Conspiracy Theorist Feldon, Ronom Excavator Kargan Dragonlord Kari Zev, Skyship Raider Lightning Mauler Magmatic Channeler
Robber of the Rich Trailblazing Historian

(powerful 2 drops that are functionally 3-4)
Dire Fleet Daredevil Abbot of Keral Keep

I would also consider cards like Tithe and Preordain / Ponder to be solid early drops worth considering in a deck like this to fill out the curve.

side note:
Dualcaster Mage is a human and has a great combo with Twinflame which is itself a very functional card in the deck (acting like a 2 drop human that can also win you the game). A double strived twinflame rates to spell lights out a lot of the time. Dualcaster Mage also functions as a counterspell that is a human, which is very handy :)
Great call on Dragonmaster Outcast and Norin the Wary! I feel like those cards could do a lot of work in this deck. I guess that Wingcrafter, Giant Killer // Chop Down, and Fervent Champion could also be considered.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

pokken

Norin actually I'm not sure sequences that well. I was remembering him wrong. But he's maybe playable. Maybe if there're other etb effects? I imagine it'd go nuts with kindred discovery and similar (tocasia welcome and mentor?)

yeti1069

I'm not convinced that you want that many 1- and 2-drops here. Sure, there's value in dropping one the turn you play Eowyn, but after that, you have little inherent benefit in continuing to play weenies specifically.

pokken

yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago
I'm not convinced that you want that many 1- and 2-drops here. Sure, there's value in dropping one the turn you play Eowyn, but after that, you have little inherent benefit in continuing to play weenies specifically.
Of course you do, it lets you keep triggering the token making ability while not having to commit a ton of mana. You can spend the mana on more guys or interaction or deploying enablers. Cast Grim Lavamancer and Bident of Thassa instead of a 5 drop human.

Also a high density of cheap dudes let's you hit the draw number (6) more consistently. And let's you play Return to the Ranks and Mentor of the Meek and Recruiter of the Guard and
Ranger of Eos and such. Imperial Recruiter too.

More cheaper guys also chain off with the Vanquisher's Banner stuff.

You're likely to want to run stuff like Kindred Discovery and whatever anyway. The wider you go the better Shared Animosity and Cathars' Crusade and whatever too.

Speaking of which cathars is bananas with eowyn. Curving crusade into eowyn and a 1 drop is cranking out like 20 power. Probably worth the squeeze

Ymmv of course and if you want to keep the consistency and power level tamped down for reasons there are a lot of ways to skin the deck.

yeti1069

Cathar's is on the list of possible includes.

I don't know that you're getting enough value out of dropping a ton of weenies here. They don't attack well after a couple turns without outside help, and you have numerous token makers for that aspect. As such, I feel like the creatures you're playing should either be making your board more dangerous, or adding versatility beyond the main game plan.

pokken

yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago

I don't know that you're getting enough value out of dropping a ton of weenies here. They don't attack well after a couple turns without outside help, and you have numerous token makers for that aspect. As such, I feel like the creatures you're playing should either be making your board more dangerous, or adding versatility beyond the main game plan.
I don't think you play just weenies, you play weenies that generate card advantage/velocity or mana advantage. Honestly, most humans do not have great statlines and you're going to need to do something to pump the team if you want to get through with the main power source your team creates which is 2/2 tokens.

Given that you are going to want to play some kind of anthems to support the tokens, you may as well play weenies. otherwise you have a mix of tokens who can't attack (which a number of the other legends make) and bigger creatures which is super awkward.

Another one I forgot that is amazing: Intrepid Adversary -- scaling anthems are great.

NZB2323

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago

I don't think you play just weenies, you play weenies that generate card advantage/velocity or mana advantage. Honestly, most humans do not have great statlines and you're going to need to do something to pump the team if you want to get through with the main power source your team creates which is 2/2 tokens.

Given that you are going to want to play some kind of anthems to support the tokens, you may as well play weenies. otherwise you have a mix of tokens who can't attack (which a number of the other legends make) and bigger creatures which is super awkward.

Another one I forgot that is amazing: Intrepid Adversary -- scaling anthems are great.
For my list I'm having a chicken vs. egg issue. Éomer, King of Rohan and Adriana, Captain of the Guard are both great with weenies, but they are the cards I'd be cutting for weenies.

Maybe instead of weenies the deck should focus on cards like Increasing Devotion, Call the Coppercoats, Visions of Glory, Hero of Bladehold, and Worthy Knight.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

pokken

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
For my list I'm having a chicken vs. egg issue. Éomer, King of Rohan and Adriana, Captain of the Guard are both great with weenies, but they are the cards I'd be cutting for weenies.
I struggle to imagine getting to 5 cmc humans in a deck like this tbh. The 3 cmc humans are so, so good and very few of the 5 drops are Recruiter of the Guard / Imperial Recruiter targets.

You got stuff like Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Combat Celebrant, Dualcaster Mage, Portal Mage, Glenn, the Voice of Calm, Hanweir Garrison, the recruiters, etc....it's just hard to imagine getting to 5 :P and that's just scratching the surface, and not covering 4 cmc. ]

mm, Prophetic Flamespeaker too. yeeah :)

Even the Fiend Hunter / Banisher Priest dudes are pretty dang good in these decks from a tempo perspective.

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
pokken wrote:
10 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago

Maybe instead of weenies the deck should focus on cards like Increasing Devotion, Call the Coppercoats, Visions of Glory, Hero of Bladehold, and Worthy Knight.
More importantly they are good with tokens.

yeti1069

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
I struggle to imagine getting to 5 cmc humans in a deck like this tbh. The 3 cmc humans are so, so good and very few of the 5 drops are Recruiter of the Guard / Imperial Recruiter targets.

You got stuff like Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Combat Celebrant, Dualcaster Mage, Portal Mage, Glenn, the Voice of Calm, Hanweir Garrison, the recruiters, etc....it's just hard to imagine getting to 5 :P and that's just scratching the surface, and not covering 4 cmc. ]

mm, Prophetic Flamespeaker too. yeeah :)

Even the Fiend Hunter / Banisher Priest dudes are pretty dang good in these decks from a tempo perspective.
I'm not playing high power, but so far the deck has chugged along fairly well. Some of the top end felt bulky, but I was dropping plenty of them. Some of the utility guys you mentioned (DCM and Portal) don't play particularly well with Eowyn themselves. The deck doesn't need to be all in on her trigger, but I don't know how many creatures it wants that don't. Also, while the deck does run a number of buffers, I don't know that it wants a bunch of humans that need buffs to really do anything (Flamespeaker, Glenn--though buffs also negate his evasion).

I don't love the O-Ring style removal creatures (I know I have Sigrid--that's for the art, and to finally run it somewhere, but will likely get cut eventually). Too often, I find them to be a liability (remove a threat, have my creature removed in a board wipe, and then they have their creature back).

yeti1069

Most of the critters I have in the deck currently fall into one of the following categories:
-stat buffs
-keyword buffs
-removal
-card advantage/ramp
-board protection
-stax

The cards that look like they probably need to get cut are the ones that don't fit those categories, or feel overpriced for their benefit. The stax pieces could come out, or the deck could double down on them by adding more. Board protection can get moved to some more efficient spells, although I think having some onboard effects that also contribute to the game plan are worthwhile.

yeti1069

Made some edits, but will have to update later. For now:

Game Play Report

Playing against Lord of the Nazgul, Olivia, Crimson Bride, and Minthara, Merciless Soul.

Had a decent curve out of Mother of Runes, Metallic Mimic, Dawnbringer Cleric (removed Dreadhorde Invasion for Minthara) and a tapped land, Loran (removed mana rock for Nazgul, which set them back a lot) and a mana rock, then Eowyn. On the following turn, I dropped Devout Chaplain and Mass Appeal. Put in some damage.

Next turn cycle, I dropped Blade Historian and swung HARD. Put 14 commander on Minthara, and a bunch of trample damage through to Olivia. Nazgul still wasn't doing much (and I'd been giving them the card from Loran for a couple turns). Olivia cast Blasphemous Act, which I responded to by exiling an enchantment of theirs with Devout Chaplain, and gave Eowyn pro-red. On my next turn, I cast Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold, then Forth Eorlingas! for X=3, then made 2 more guys at combat. That gave me Eowyn on 8, three 7/2s, and two 4/2s. Swung 21 damage at Olivia, who was 18 and had only 2 toughness worth of blockers, Eowyn at Minthara for lethal commander damage, and put the remainder over at Nazgul. They recast their commander and passed with mana up.

I drew Boromir, Warden of the Tower (couldn't have come before the B.Act?), then Riders of Gavony, naming 'Wraith', and Nazgul scooped, since they wouldn't be able to block (plus, if we'd done the math, I think I would have had waaaay more damage then they had blockers+life).

Pretty happy with this one.

yeti1069

Game Play Report

Going to keep this short and RIDICULOUS.

Had one opponent playing extra draw + heavy mill, and my yard got stocked.
Played Nahiri's Resolve, which exiled Eowyn and a Weathered Wayfarer.
Player before me with demons cast Living Death, bringing back: Adeline, Combat Celebrant, Theoden, Grand Abolisher, Coppercoat Vanguard, and another half a dozen creatures. On my turn, I cast Eowyn, Fearless Knight to exile a large black/red creature to give all my legendaries pro black & red, then cast Erkenbrand. Went to combat, swung and exerted Combat Celebrant. My whole team got +6/+0 off the Lord of Westfold, and all the creatures that mattered got double strike from Theoden. MORE than enough to kill the table.

Adeline was 27/4 with double strike. Eowyn, Shieldmaiden was 13/4 with double strike.

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago

Game Play Report

Player before me with demons cast Living Death, bringing back: Adeline, Combat Celebrant, Theoden, Grand Abolisher, Coppercoat Vanguard, and another half a dozen creatures. On my turn, I cast Eowyn, Fearless Knight to exile a large black/red creature to give all my legendaries pro black & red, then cast Erkenbrand. Went to combat, swung and exerted Combat Celebrant. My whole team got +6/+0 off the Lord of Westfold, and all the creatures that mattered got double strike from Theoden. MORE than enough to kill the table.

Adeline was 27/4 with double strike. Eowyn, Shieldmaiden was 13/4 with double strike.
Glad to hear the deck is working out well for you. I've been having success with my list as well. I had a game where I had a turn 1 Sol Ring and Arcane Signet so turn 2 I could cast Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and it was just too much for my opponents. I played a Lossarnach Captain and then an Increasing Devotion so my opponents couldn't block. I still think getting Eowyn out early and triggering her ability is what the deck wants to be doing. Urza's Incubator turn 3 allows you to cast Eowyn + a 1 drop human(or Bastion Protector, Frontline Medic, Loran of the Third Path, Combat Celebrant or Hanweir Garrison) turn 4. If you add in Enlightened Tutor you can use it to search for the Incubator.

Outlaws' Merriment also allowed me to play Eowyn with her ability triggered turn 5, and I was able to get the human rogue token that killed an opponent's Lotus Cobra in Omnath, Locus of Creation. I was also thinking that Molten Echoes would work well with Eowyn. You'd have to have the copy leave the battlefield as a game-based effect, but the copy was leaving the battlefield at the end of turn anyways and you'd get 2 ETB triggers off of Eowyn allowing you to make 4 2/2 knights and draw 2 cards. Molten Echoes doesn't work that well with legendary creatures but you'd still get double triggers off of Loran of the Third Path, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, Boromir, Gondor's Hope, plus double triggers off of Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold, Beregond of the Guard, Lossarnach Captain, Cathars' Crusade ect.

Also, I agree with @pokken that you really shouldn't be running that many humans that cost 5+ mana. The only one I run besides Eowryn is Riders of Rohan, which I would never cut from a Riders of Rohan deck. But the deck has so many cards that cost 5+ mana that aren't humans(Vanquisher's Banner, Kindred Discovery, Cyclonic Rift, Increasing Devotion, Visions of Glory, Forth Eorlingas!, Cathars' Crusade) plus your commander.

I'd also encourage you to take another look at Thraben Doomsayer and Worthy Knight for triggering Eowyn. WK also works with Knight of the White Orchid, Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer(which I still think you should cut), Riders of Gavony, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, and Adriana, Captain of the Guard. Plus you could run Hero of Bladehold, even though it doesn't make human tokens. My deck even has a knight subtheme with Inspiring Veteran, Marshal of Zhalfir, and Knight Exemplar, as Eowyn is a knight who makes knights and the deck has Forth Eorlingas!. If you're already running Bastion Protector it's arguable that Knight Exemplar is better for the deck, as she affects more creatures and makes the tokens that Eowyn produces into 3/3 indestructible tokens with trample and haste, whereas with Eowyn you have to wait a turn to be swinging with her.

Thraben Doomsayer and Worthy Knight also work great with Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold, Beregond of the Guard, Lossarnach Captain, Cathars' Crusade ect. I also know that Hanweir Militia Captain // Westvale Cult Leader wouldn't trigger Eowryn but it still might be worth considering.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago

Game Play Report

Glad to hear the deck is working out well for you. I've been having success with my list as well. I had a game where I had a turn 1 Sol Ring and Arcane Signet so turn 2 I could cast Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and it was just too much for my opponents. I played a Lossarnach Captain and then an Increasing Devotion so my opponents couldn't block. I still think getting Eowyn out early and triggering her ability is what the deck wants to be doing. Urza's Incubator turn 3 allows you to cast Eowyn + a 1 drop human(or Bastion Protector, Frontline Medic, Loran of the Third Path, Combat Celebrant or Hanweir Garrison) turn 4. If you add in Enlightened Tutor you can use it to search for the Incubator.

Outlaws' Merriment also allowed me to play Eowyn with her ability triggered turn 5, and I was able to get the human rogue token that killed an opponent's Lotus Cobra in Omnath, Locus of Creation. I was also thinking that Molten Echoes would work well with Eowyn. You'd have to have the copy leave the battlefield as a game-based effect, but the copy was leaving the battlefield at the end of turn anyways and you'd get 2 ETB triggers off of Eowyn allowing you to make 4 2/2 knights and draw 2 cards. Molten Echoes doesn't work that well with legendary creatures but you'd still get double triggers off of Loran of the Third Path, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, Boromir, Gondor's Hope, plus double triggers off of Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold, Beregond of the Guard, Lossarnach Captain, Cathars' Crusade ect.

Also, I agree with @pokken that you really shouldn't be running that many humans that cost 5+ mana. The only one I run besides Eowryn is Riders of Rohan, which I would never cut from a Riders of Rohan deck. But the deck has so many cards that cost 5+ mana that aren't humans(Vanquisher's Banner, Kindred Discovery, Cyclonic Rift, Increasing Devotion, Visions of Glory, Forth Eorlingas!, Cathars' Crusade) plus your commander.

I'd also encourage you to take another look at Thraben Doomsayer and Worthy Knight for triggering Eowyn. WK also works with Knight of the White Orchid, Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer(which I still think you should cut), Riders of Gavony, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, and Adriana, Captain of the Guard. Plus you could run Hero of Bladehold, even though it doesn't make human tokens. My deck even has a knight subtheme with Inspiring Veteran, Marshal of Zhalfir, and Knight Exemplar, as Eowyn is a knight who makes knights and the deck has Forth Eorlingas!. If you're already running Bastion Protector it's arguable that Knight Exemplar is better for the deck, as she affects more creatures and makes the tokens that Eowyn produces into 3/3 indestructible tokens with trample and haste, whereas with Eowyn you have to wait a turn to be swinging with her.

Thraben Doomsayer and Worthy Knight also work great with Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold, Beregond of the Guard, Lossarnach Captain, Cathars' Crusade ect. I also know that Hanweir Militia Captain // Westvale Cult Leader wouldn't trigger Eowryn but it still might be worth considering.
So I've made some edits. In particular, I had already decided on swapping in Knight Exemplar for Bastion. I don't feel like I'm running enough knights to make the other knight tribal cards worth running over other options, even if they do specifically buff the commander and her tokens. Thraben just looks bad to me outside of the case where I drop it and then bring in Eowyn a turn or two later and can get her trigger right away. Outside of that case, it seems pretty mediocre. It's a poor top deck, and doesn't do much of anything on a turn when I can play Eowyn and another creature, or have one of the better token producers out. Worthy Knight just looks like a less frequent Hero of Precinct One, although both are triggering off of a fairly small pool--HoPO has 11 multicolored spells, while WK has 8 knights. Right now, I feel like Eowyn does a lot for the deck, but isn't quite the linchpin that other commanders often are, so I don't know how much I feel like I need to play enablers specifically for her trigger over cards that are better on their own.

I brought in Raise the Palisade, but am wondering whether that isn't often going to be just a worse Taunt from the Ramparts. Both are 5 mana, both ensure I can get through with attacks that turn. RtP is a big tempo play (should probably just be Cyclonic Rift), nixes tokens, and temporarily removes any creatures with problematic static or tap abilities, but may be painful vs a number of good ETBs, assuming this isn't being used as a finisher. TftR meanwhile directs everyone to attack each other, which is its own kind of reward.

pokken

Man thraben doomsayer is insane in this deck. Prevents you from having to commit at all to just keep triggering eowyn. Autoinclude.

yeti1069

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Man thraben doomsayer is insane in this deck. Prevents you from having to commit at all to just keep triggering eowyn. Autoinclude.
Is this from play experience with the deck, or theorizing? Triggering Eowyn immediately is very good, yes, but I have had a couple of games where I ran her out without a trigger, and it didn't make a huge negative impact having to wait a turn. Adding 4 hasty power to the table is only really relevant if you have other stuff going on, and Thraben isn't that. Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment, but I just look at it and feel like it's a bad card at any time except on the turn I cast Eowyn. It does have a little synergy with some of the other cards that care about humans ETBing, but I don't think it's so much as to be an auto-include. If I were choosing between the two, I think I'd opt for Worthy Knight, just for it being 2 mana instead of 3.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”