Harnfel, Horn of Bounty - Big Red

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Decklist

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

So this is the remnants of the cards I liked in my mono red Golos deck, plus a handful of Birgi synergy and a bit more ramp than the Golos deck (which just ramped to 5 then let Golos get Nykthos).

This deck is meant to be about 5/10 or 6/10 power level, so it's got a bunch of cards that don't strongly synergize and just a lot of fun red cards I like, like Drakuseth, Maw of Flames and Balefire Dragon. It's a bit of a disjointed mess with an equipment subtheme, a damage doubling subtheme, a few A+B but very easily disrupted infinite combos that are extremely difficult to find with almost no tutors.

The thing I am seeing is that most of the Harnfel synergy is combos, so I held back from playing some of the really powerhouse stuff like the artifact cost reducers and Sensei's Divining Top that go pretty infinite with Harnfel.

The ramp package is mostly equipment and mana doublers, and a good excuse to play my Gauntlet of Might :P

There's not a ton of interaction, mostly looking to just windmill slam bombs and use Harnfel to refuel, but a few pieces, mostly so I have something to do with Dreadhorde Arcanist which is just a card I love.

The Harnfel Synergy package is probably best described as "cute":
I've got a list a mile long of cards I'd like to play from Ensnaring Bridge to Surly Badgersaur to Flamewake Phoenix to Seasoned Pyromancer.

Combo packages:

Infinite Attacks

Various combinations of these cards create infinite attack steps which end in game winning most of the time. All of these cards have completely solid fair uses in the deck because we have a ton of attack triggers, and Godo, Bandit Warlord enables a lot of our bad equipment shenanigans.

I hem and haw a bit about whether I want infinite combos in the deck but I really love all of these cards so they stay for now :)

Basically cheating

I'm a bit dubious still on whether this combo has a huge place in this deck. The problem is when I started thinking about cutting both of these cards, well...Dualcaster Mage is one of the most powerful red cards in Commander, and the source of some of the worst blowouts I've been on the receiving end of. It's almost too good not to play in mono red.

And Twinflame is basically a game winner a lot of the time; If you twinflame 2 or 3 of your creatures with a damage doubler (or god forbid tripler once I pick up a Fiery Emancipation) it's a huge mana sink that also just wins the game. It has some fringe value as a sac outlet cum haste enabler for huge fatties like Drakuseth, Maw of Flames and Etali, Primal Storm if I want to dump then in the bin for Feldon of the Third Path enabling or whatever.

I was always surprised how often I had fair uses for that card in Golos, even though it was mostly in that deck to bad red blink golos.

Slot Machine For You, Fun for Me!

Tags:

Swift2210

Post by Swift2210 » 3 years ago

No fast rocks, reducers, or mana to get the horn out earlier?

pokken

Swift2210 wrote:
3 years ago
No fast rocks, reducers, or mana to get the horn out earlier?
Mostly just trying to keep the power level down by not super ramping. There's a lot of tension with the cost reducers wherein they ramp harnfel but then don't help the rest of the deck unless you force artifacts which I'm trying to not do. There's a little bit of a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx subtheme and of course the doublers.

The 'idea' whether it's good or bad is to try to ramp off stuff like Sword of Feast and Famine / Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale and use the cheaper attackers to ramp that way.

It'd surely be objectively stronger I think to run Semblance Anvil stuff, and of course all the busted rocks (Mana Vault etc.).

It's very possible the build is flawed in not having those things but I'm trying to mostly curve into harnfell while always hitting lands. Mainly aiming to be less explosive and more consistent?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of card draw in here. I know that your commander offers you impulse draw, but if you're hellbent that doesn't work. You might consider something like Knollspine Dragon.

Along those same lines you might be able to get some value from Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner, Reforge the Soul , and of course Wheel of Fortune.

With so many high cost creatures and almost no ramp, Sneak Attack seems good.

No Caged Sun or Treasonous Ogre?

Leyline Tyrant sounds fun. Could add in Doubling Cube or Braid of Fire for funsies. I like the idea of having ridiculous amounts of red mana always in my mana pool. Probably hard to get these cards into play at the same time though.

Instead of artifact ramp what about instant/sorcery rituals and copy spells?
Magda, Brazen Outlaw might be a good fit, esepcially if you throw in something like Brass's Bounty but she seems to make a decent amount of mana on her own. Goldspan Dragon is great too.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

pokken

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of card draw in here.
So my thinking there is I always draw one card a turn so if Harnfel is out, worst case I draw 2 cards. But there's quite a bit of derpy stuff (e.g. Squee, Goblin Nabob, Anje's Ravager, Dire Fleet Daredevil, Prophetic Flamespeaker, Experimental Frenzy, etc. that generate some sneaky CA. The deck does not seem to really run out of gas in testing, though a lot of time it's playing off the top.

Goldspan Dragon is on the list of cards I want to pick up from recent sets along with Fiery Emancipation and Terror of the Peaks.

Rituals do seem like a decent way to go, really worth considering, but I think getting the balance right between beaters and those effects is hard. Also don't want it to turn too stormy, just kinda want to draw huge idiots off the top and always hit my lands.

Caged Sun is a good spot, I'm iffy on whether it's quite good enough at its cost but I might try that.

Much appreciate th eother thoughts, some things in there I did not think of!

pokken

I got to run this deck once and it was just too slow. I'm going to retune it with the leavings of my Golos, Tireless Pilgrim artifacts deck I think, since I am not liking that deck as much.

Being able to play my Mishra's Workshop to cast Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty will make a big difference in consistency and jamming some of the busted rocks too I think.

The deck did some fun stuff but it was just too slow and fragile for my meta, and I struggled getting to Harnfel mana, and by the time I did I had plenty to do without the horn because I'd been spending my mana activating compass for lands. Soo, little artifact subtheme it is I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”