FTV: Fetchlands (plus Chandra spellbook)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

"Image"

Plus "some other form of reprinting fetchlands in LGSes later in 2020". Must resist urge to be cynical about this.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Plus "some other form of reprinting fetchlands in LGSes later in 2020".
He specifically said a "booster product that is not standard legal". So, the most likely meaning is that there will be fetches in Commander Legends as that is the only booster product we know of this year that won't be standard legal, that they haven't already released. That would certainly increase the hype factor for the set considerably.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

The other reprint is almost certainly Commander Legends. Rasmussen says it's not in a standard set and that this is the year of commander, so quite the hint.
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

the chandra cards look cool. I just got past in flames about a month ago, but this new one looks so good.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

... ... ... Secret Lair with fetch lands?
Called it on the first run of secret lairs...
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

Wait... a Secret Lair product not direct-to-consumer by Wizards of the Coast that's available at the LGS?

Didn't think April Fools came a month early.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair, that was pretty obvious from the start.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CrazyPierre
Jasmine Boreal is for real.

Post by CrazyPierre » 4 years ago

The fetches could also be in a December hype product or as a box topper of some sort for future Secret Lairs.
I'd be extremely doubtful of fetches in the CMDR product as they've never done this previously, and they are not super necessary to play CMDR unless you're cEDH.

Atraxian

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair, that was pretty obvious from the start.
True enough.
EDIT:
looking at the arts and Misty Rainforest is from Ixalan, Verdant Catacomb is from Innistrad, Arid Mesa is from Amonkhet, but I can't place the other two.
They look from Eldraine (Marsh Flats) and may be Tarkir (Scalding Tarn) but I can't seem to find a sure reference point to the plane.
Angels Enthusiast

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
looking at the arts and Misty Rainforest is from Ixalan, Verdant Catacomb is from Innistrad, Arid Mesa is from Amonkhet, but I can't place the other two.
They look from Eldraine (Marsh Flats) and may be Tarkir (Scalding Tarn) but I can't seem to find a sure reference point to the plane.
Marsh Flats are from Lorwyn and Scalding Tarn is from Shiv on Dominaria. We were told as much in the video. :)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

There are a few different ways to take the fetchland secret lair.
  • Only available through LGSs = supporting LGSs = good
  • $165 is less than the price of fetches individually = good
  • ....but stores only get ten copies, so they're going to be gouged massively
  • ....and with that little supply, there will be zero impact on the price of fetches otherwise, for anyone unable to get them
  • ....and $165+ is still an absurd amount of money to pay for five cards
I'm in the cynicism bucket for this. If you're willing to pay that much for fetches and are lucky enough to get them from your LGS, great. If you're hoping for fetchlands to be more available, you're out of luck. And if they do end up throwing fetchlands in Commander Legends, I'm going to be very disappointed if they use that as justification to jack up the price like other Masters sets.

....I guess it's sort of a catch-22 though - they can't print fetchlands in standard because they would cause a bunch of issues, but printing into standard is also the only feasible way to make them reasonably accessible.

Atraxian

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
Marsh Flats are from Lorwyn and Scalding Tarn is from Shiv on Dominaria. We were told as much in the video. :)
my bad for not watching it, then.
Angels Enthusiast

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

The REAL reprints better be in Commander Legends because this sure as hell doesn't count. 99% of players won't be able to get this and the 1% that do will be price gouged so hard by their stores that they aren't saving any money by buying it.

That being said, I'm very hyped for Signature Spellbook: Chandra. There aren't any stores near me, so I'm hoping the prices will be reasonable online. If I can get it for what would normally be MSRP, it's a definite pickup.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet

"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I like the new art on the zen fetch.

hopefully, they won't cost too much.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
  • Only available through LGSs = supporting LGSs = good
  • $165 is less than the price of fetches individually = good
  • ....but stores only get ten copies, so they're going to be gouged massively
  • ....and with that little supply, there will be zero impact on the price of fetches otherwise, for anyone unable to get them
  • ....and $165+ is still an absurd amount of money to pay for five cards
This sums up my feelings on the matter pretty well. If WotC wanted to support LGSs, they could've easily doubled or tripled the allotments each store got, and these still would've sold out.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
And in the mothership article.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

so You guys claim that $165 is a idiotic

Well yes it is but not like horrendously bad though

Average of each non-foil (used lowest priced versions)

Arid Mesa -$36
Scalding tarn - $71
Marsh flats -$37
Verdant Catacombs - $63
Misty rainforest - $70

One of each $277 dollars for one of each non foils

So if you nag one you just got one of each for $115 less than what you have to pay

The two parts of you guys being correct is they literally just said they getting reprinted in a upcoming supplement set that smells commander legends with the other 5 ally fetch lands so why make a secret lair if they already being planned for a reprint

Also this is gonna be harder to nag that the other secret lair since there's only 10 per game store
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago

Wrong again as usual guys
4 years ago
Also this is gonna be harder to nag that the other secret lair since there's only 10 per game store
QED

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

CommanderMaster999

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

Wrong again as usual guys
4 years ago
QED
Yea fixed my oops there

Yes it's stupid but not as bad as you think due to value of fetches the only stupid part is this is not based on how many get it it's literally only 10 per lgs store

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

It's still $165+ for five pieces of cardboard. Oh wait, you get a fancy box.

Sure, you could claim that this is still cheaper than what you can get them for now, but that's because their prices are absurd in the first place, and saying that would make you a bootlicker.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

Interesting sentence in here... emphasis mine:
Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition will contain one non-foil copy of each of these cards, and you can only get the grouping of five at your local game store starting May 29. Copies are limited—stores will typically receive no more than 10 copies of Ultimate Edition—so make sure to check with your local game store.

While the vast majority of these will go out through WPN stores, there will be another opportunity to pick these up. The week after these go on sale at WPN stores, we'll be running a Secret Lair superdrop much like we did in December. We'll share more details about all of the drops closer to June, but the one detail we can share today is that if you purchase the bundle that combines each drop that goes on sale during the superdrop, you'll receive one random fetch land for each bundle you purchase.
So you can also get one fetch for each bundle you purchase.

I am just personally bummed, because my not so flgs is shady when it comes to these types of sets. I can already name the 4-5 people that will be able to get one, or they will inflate the price to insane levels. This seems like it could have been such a slam dunk Secret Lair.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

CommanderMaster999

Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
Interesting sentence in here... emphasis mine:
Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition will contain one non-foil copy of each of these cards, and you can only get the grouping of five at your local game store starting May 29. Copies are limited—stores will typically receive no more than 10 copies of Ultimate Edition—so make sure to check with your local game store.

While the vast majority of these will go out through WPN stores, there will be another opportunity to pick these up. The week after these go on sale at WPN stores, we'll be running a Secret Lair superdrop much like we did in December. We'll share more details about all of the drops closer to June, but the one detail we can share today is that if you purchase the bundle that combines each drop that goes on sale during the superdrop, you'll receive one random fetch land for each bundle you purchase.
So you can also get one fetch for each bundle you purchase.

I am just personally bummed, because my not so flgs is shady when it comes to these types of sets. I can already name the 4-5 people that will be able to get one, or they will inflate the price to insane levels. This seems like it could have been such a slam dunk Secret Lair.
Amen to that this is easily the best cards but how you get this one and depending on your budget is just atrocious but all 5 fetches in this is approximately $115 more than what the secret lair cost (in second market anyway.)

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

I'm hyped for the Spellbook, at least. At the bottom of the Fetchland article, the link to the Spellbook announcement has art that yells Chandra's Ignition to me, and that art is pretty sweet. Definitely want to grab at least one come summer.

Fetchland FTV is looking a tad sketchy, for multiple reasons already pointed out.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Oh wait, you get a fancy box.
The fact that they spent so much time emphasizing how nice the box is was kinda hilarious. Most people are definitely just going to trash it lol.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I love it when the rich get richer, giggle. meanwhile this Seafloor Debris I wrote "TARN" on has exactly the same effect

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”