December MCC Round 1 - Deeper underground

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 5 months ago

MCC-LCI.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Orazca Puzzle-Door by Cristi Balanescu.)

December MCC Round 1

Deeper underground

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case The Lost Caverns of Ixalan, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

You're on the surface of the continent of Ixalan now, and you see the entrance of a cave. What do you do? Are you ready to venture deeper underground?

Main Challenge - Design a single-faced card with descend 4, descend 8, fathomless descent, and/or the text "descended this turn".

Subchallenge 1 - The card is not a creature.

Subchallenge 2 - The card has no black mana symbols in its mana cost AND in its rules text.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge
• Your card has to meet two requirements at the same time:

- It has only one face. In other words, it's not a DFC. It also cannot be any other special kind of card, like planes (from Planechase), schemes (from Archenemy), etc… It must be a regular Magic card with only one face.

- It has at least one among the following:
1- the ability word "Descend 4" with the corresponding text in that ability, and/or
2- the ability word "Descend 8" with the corresponding text in that ability, and/or
3- the ability word "Fathomless descent" with the corresponding text in that ability, and/or
4- the exact text "descended this turn" in its rules text.

The card CAN have more than one among these four options, all that matters is that it has AT LEAST one of the four.
bravelion83 wrote:
5 months ago
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
Two questions. First does the main challenge meaning for example "the ability word "Descend 4" with the corresponding text in that ability, and/or"
mean it can have rule text of the mechanic without the name. For example the mechanic Landfall and how cards that don't have the keyword such as Maja, Bretagard Protector , Druid Class [/card] or Roaring Earth .
No, it has to be keyworded (technically ability-worded, but I'm saying it that way for clarity). The actual words "Descend 4 —" MUST be there, and in that ability the text that corresponds to the ability word descend 4 ("[if/as long as] there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard") must appear unaltered, as is. You can put whatever you want before or after that text, but that exact line of text AND the ability word "Descend 4 —" MUST be there for the Main Challenge to be met at all.

The same goes with "Descent 8 —" and "[if/as long as] there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard", "Fathomless descent —" and "[where X is/equal to] the number of permanent cards in your graveyard", and the string "descended this turn" (which also must be unaltered).
So I just have a card that says for example "As long as there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard **some ability**"
The reason I ask is if I wanted to include mechanics that is not in The Lost Cavern of Ixalan to make it worded more as if it existed in other planes.
Your proposed wording is exactly what descend 4 is, so just put a "Descend 4 —" right before it and you're good to go. For example, the following would pass the Main Challenge:

Descend 4 — As long as there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard, **some ability**
Second question (sorry for length)
No need to apologize. I am a high school professional teacher in real life. I always tell my students never to be afraid to ask, making questiona is not an annoyance or a sign or weakness, it just means you haven't properly understood something, and it's my job as your teacher to make you understand it. If anything, it's my fault if you don't understand, not yours. Well, what I say to my students in the classroom is also perfectly true for me when I host an MCC month. I make the challenges, and if a player doesn't understand them, fully or in part, it's my job to explain them better to make them understand. So no guilt on your part and no need to apologize. Whatever you don't understand fully, ask. Remember: do not ever be afraid to ask. Ever.
Am I allow a small disclaimer. The actual one I was thinking (but might not make a card. Just still thinking.). Saying ***part of an nonexistent cycle***
That verbatim. The two questions are unrelated I'm still thinking of an entry just narrowing down what I want to make.
No, sorry, that's not allowed. No matter how small it is, it still qualifies as extra content in the submission post, and that's a cause of DQ. The card must speak for itself without any additional notes (unless requested by the round challenges, but that's not the case here).

Adding this to the clarifications spoiler. Thank you for asking. Don't be afraid to ask again should you have any more doubts or need more explanation.

Subchallenge 1
• The card can have any card type(s) EXCEPT "creature".

• This Subchallenge doesn't care about supertypes (like "legendary", "snow", or "basic") or subtypes, only card types. You can have all the supertypes and subtypes that you want on your card.

• If your card is a split card, flip card, adventurer card, or whatever card that has multiple type lines on a single face, NONE of those type lines can contain the "creature" card type.

• As a reminder, the following are card types: artifact, battle, creature, enchantment, kindred (formerly tribal), instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery.

Subchallenge 2
• No black mana cost of ANY kind are allowed in the card's mana cost and in the card's rules text. In other words, the card's color identity does not include black.

• Forbidden symbols include regular black mana (B), all hybrid mana with a black component ({W/B}, {U/B}, {B/R}, {B/G}), black "twobrid" ({2/B}), black Phyrexian mana (BP), and any mana symbol that can be paid using black mana, including custom ones of your own creation.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Thursday, December 7th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Monday, December 11th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

We might or might not need more judges. If you're interested, sign up in the judge signup thread.

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can also find the link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

A reminder to everyone: In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.

BRACKETS

Judge: bravelion83
Caspernicus
Freyleyes
Komandon
kwanyeegor-ii
shullz
Subject16

Judge: void_nothing
AnotherAlias
haywire
netn10
Raptorchan
slimytrout

Top 4 from each bracket advance to the next round. Good luck to everyone! Judging may begin right now.
Last edited by bravelion83 5 months ago, edited 7 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 5 months ago

Spelunking Lantern 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Spelunking Lantern enters the battlefield, mill three cards. You may put a land card from among the milled cards into your hand.
At the beginning of your end step, if you descended this turn, equipped creature explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Equip 2
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 5 months ago

Romp of the Raptors
Sorcery (R)
Fathomless Descent — This spell costs less to cast, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard.
Create a 2/1 red Dinosaur creature token with trample, then populate. Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain haste until end of turn. (To populate, create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
Last edited by AnotherAlias 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 5 months ago

Cavern of the Whispers
Land - Cave (rare)
T: Add c.
At the beginning of your endstep, if you descended this turn, you may untap Cavern of the Whispers.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 5 months ago

Into the Fire 3R
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, you may discover X, where X is the number of times you descended this turn. (You descend each time a permanent card is put into your graveyard from anywhere. To discover, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with that mana value or less. Cast it without paying its mana cost or put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom in a random order.)
1R, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Fire creates just as easily as it destroys.

shullz

Post by shullz » 5 months ago

Bottomless Ruins
Land - Cave (R)
Bottomless Ruins enters the battlefield tapped, unless you descended this turn.
: Add .
Descend 4: Add one mana of any color. Activate only if there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard.
Descend 8: Create a Treasure token. Activate only if there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard.
Fathomless descent, , Sacrifice Bottomless Ruins: Discover X, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 5 months ago

Excavate 2RR
Sorcery {R}
Fathomless descent — Create X Treasure tokens, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard, then exile all permanent cards from your graveyard.
"An expedition worth a king's, no, a dragon's riches."

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 5 months ago

Heedless Venture 3RR
Sorcery (M)
Exile cards from the top of your library until you exile three nonland cards. You may cast those cards without paying their mana costs. Put the exiled cards not cast this way into your graveyard.
Descend 8 — You lose the game unless there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard.
"It's only impossible if you waste your time considering whether it might be."

netn10

Post by netn10 » 5 months ago

Don't Look Back 2RR
Sorcery (Mythic)
Take an extra turn after this one.
You get an emblem named Level with "At the end of your turn, if you haven't descended this turn for each Level emblem you have, you lose the game."
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 5 months ago

Commune with Echoes 2U
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Artifact and Spirit spells you cast cost 1 less to cast and can't be countered.
Descend 4 - At the beginning of your end step, if there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter or hexproof counter on an artifact or Spirit you control.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 5 months ago

Remember the Past 3u
Sorcery (U)
Fathomless descent — Mill X cards, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard, then return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
Watching your steps can be even more useful than reading history books.

haywire

Post by haywire » 5 months ago

Bind from Above 1W
Enchantment {R}
Flash
When Bind from Above enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Bind from Above leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of your end step, if you descended this turn, sacrifice Bind from Above. Otherwise, put a savior counter on it.
1W, Put the exiled card into its owner's graveyard: Bind from Above becomes a copy of that card, except it's a 4/4 white Angel creature token and it has flying. Activate only if Bind from Above has 3 or more savior counters on it.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 5 months ago

The round is closed.

BRACKETS

Judge: bravelion83
Caspernicus
Freyleyes
Komandon
kwanyeegor-ii
shullz
Subject16

Judge: void_nothing
AnotherAlias
haywire
netn10
Raptorchan
slimytrout

Top 4 from each bracket advance to the next round. Good luck to everyone! Judging may begin right now.

Judgments complete.

EDIT - As I mention them in the judgment of shullz's card, I'm adding the references I always use for microtext.
Microtext limits (for reference)
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the MSE M15 frame you can have at most:
• Eight lines or fewer with any number of paragraph breaks.
• Nine lines with at most four breaks.
• Ten lines with at most two breaks.
• Eleven lines with a single break.
• Everything that is twelve lines or more is microtext regardless of breaks.
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
5 months ago
Spelunking Lantern 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Spelunking Lantern enters the battlefield, mill three cards. You may put a land card from among the milled cards into your hand.
At the beginning of your end step, if you descended this turn, equipped creature explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Equip 2
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Not much for Timmy here except maybe for explore. At the contrary, plenty of things to do for Johnny, especially with the self-mill. Spike might be interested in limited, but the card is probably too costly overall for her, and she doesn't like the potential to miss with the first ability.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - If you think about it, red is actually the only color who doesn't mill itself. All other colors can in one form or another, so it being colorless is not that big of a stretch. Land fetching is green actually, but there are a lot of colorless artifacts that do it, even at common. All colors can explore, even though some more easily than others. In the end, this is probably acceptable as a colorless card. I also think this is acceptable at uncommon. No problems with the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - Costs look appropriate. The fact that the first ability feeds the second is very nice. Playable in limited if you have room for a noncreature spell that's neither removal nor a combat trick. I can't really see this in constructed unless some kind of combo decks involving it arises. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing really new here. As I often say, well-known elements mixed together in a technically new way.
Flavor 3/3 - The name is really good and fits the card concept very well. No room for flavor text, so its absence is not a problem here and is actually the right call.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Hyphens instead of em dashes while some of your opponents got them right, so -0.5 for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
5 months ago
Excavate 2RR
Sorcery {R}
Fathomless descent — Create X Treasure tokens, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard, then exile all permanent cards from your graveyard.
"An expedition worth a king's, no, a dragon's riches."
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes Treasure tokens. Johnny can use those tokens in several ways. Spike is intrigued too, even though the relatively high mana cost might turn her off.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - There is a high variance here: if you only create one or two Treasure tokens out of this it's overcosted, but if you create a bunch it needs to cost adequately. Four mana might be the right middle ground, but there will be games where this doesn't actually do that much and games where resolving this will be the deciding factor. It being one-shot, aka exiling the permanent cards that enable it, feels like it's absolutely the right call. Playable in limited if you have room for a noncreature spell that's neither removal or a combat trick. I admit I'm a little scared by the combo potential in constructed, but this might find a home there. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - A nice twist on a set mechanic but nothing groundbreaking.
Flavor 3/3 - It's quite hard to find unused good one-word card names, so good job with that. The flavor text is also good and reinforces thee card concept.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 23/25

Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
Cavern of the Whispers
Land - Cave (rare)
T: Add c.
At the beginning of your endstep, if you descended this turn, you may untap Cavern of the Whispers.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy like extra mana, but this doesn't help him ramping up in his main phases, where he cares about the most. Johnny just loves this card, as does Spike.
Elegance 3/3 - Hard to do better than this here.
Development
Balance 3/3 - You have to be careful with lands that can untap themselves and allow you access to mana during your opponent's turn in addition to during your own turn. I don't this this crosses the line though, even if it's not that hard to fulfill the intervening if just by playing regular Magic without too much effort. The Cave subtype isn't that relevant here mechanically, it's mostly just flavor, but I've got no problems with that. Not being able to produce colored mana is certainly a drawback, but I still think this would easily see play in both limited and constructed, even older formats, especially if some combo involving it is found there. I don't think being in casual or multiplayer changes any of that.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The effect isn't particularly new, but the card certainly looks like it would be memorable.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is good and fits the card concept. Plenty of room for flavor text here though, and MSE confirms that, so I would have definitely liked to see some.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Hyphens instead of em dashes while some of your opponents got them right, so -0.5 for that. A space is missing in "endstep" (-0.5).
TOTAL 21.5/25

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
5 months ago
Commune with Echoes 2U
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Artifact and Spirit spells you cast cost 1 less to cast and can't be countered.
Descend 4 - At the beginning of your end step, if there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter or hexproof counter on an artifact or Spirit you control.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes a cost reduction on his Spirits and also be able to pump them with +1/+1 counters. Johnny might enjoy a discount on combo pieces or use the counters in unintended ways. Spike also likes the cost reduction and the hexproof counters.
Elegance 2.5/3 - A bit wordy, but still very understandable at first glance.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Blue is only tertiary in "can't be countered" but it can have it. As for the rest, no problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - There is an artifact subtheme in LCI, and this card fits very nicely there. Playable in limited, it's not removal or a combat trick, but giving hexproof to your things might be an effect that you want anyway in your limited deck. I can see constructed artifact and Spirit typal decks trying this out. Not sure about the outcome, but it could see some play there. I don't see any problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - A global effect caring about artifacts and Spirits, which are usually thought of as opposites, at the same time does feel original enough to me. I can't think of any existing card that did it before.
Flavor 2/3 - This card oozes LCI flavor. Very good job. Up to three lines of flavor text would have fit according to MSE though. I would have liked to see some.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Hyphens instead of em dashes while some of your opponents got them right, so -0.5 for that. In the descend 4 ability, the article "a" is missing right before "hexproof counter" (-0.5).
TOTAL 22.5/25

shullz
Show
Hide
shullz wrote:
5 months ago
Bottomless Ruins
Land - Cave (R)
Bottomless Ruins enters the battlefield tapped, unless you descended this turn.
: Add .
Descend 4: Add one mana of any color. Activate only if there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard.
Descend 8: Create a Treasure token. Activate only if there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard.
Fathomless descent, , Sacrifice Bottomless Ruins: Discover X, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes a land that can give him Treasure tokens in addition to mana. He also likes the random nature of the discover mechanic. Johnny could use the mana and the Treasure tokens in several ways, and will try to manipulate discover. Spike awaits the results of Johnny's attempts, and in the meantime she definitely likes getting Treasure tokens from a land without having to spend spell slots on it in her deck.
Elegance 1/3 - This is microtext: ten lines and four breaks, while with ten lines of text you're only allowed up to two breaks. The sequence of the abilities feels very good here, but that's not enough to make this card printable.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - All colors being able to get Treasure tokens is a bend, but one they made themselves for real several times. In a vacuum, only red and green are supposed to get them. No problems with the rest of the card from a color pie point of view, or with the rules. Rarity is clearly right.
Balance 2.5/3 - It's good that this doesn't have a built-in way to descend. The costs look fine, but I would have probably charged one or two mana for the Treasure. I think this card would see play in both limited of constructed, mainly because it's a land, so there is no opportunity cost in putting this in your deck. You don't have to give up a card slot to get these effects. I see no problems in multiplayer. The real problem with this card is that it's too wordy, so much to be unprintable microtext as is, not in its balance.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - This is certainly memorable.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is good. All the rules text, which is microtext by itself, leaves no room for flavor text here.
Polish
Quality 1/3 - A hyphen instead of an em dash in the type line while some of your opponents got them right, so -0.5 for that. Interestingly, you got that right in all three instances in the rules text, so why not in the type line too? An extra comma in the ETBT ability (-0.5). An additional -1 for microtext (see Elegance). This card is not printable as is because of that, and would definitely need additional work before being sent to the printers.
TOTAL 19/25

Subject16 (EDITED)
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
5 months ago
Into the Fire 3R
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, you may discover X, where X is the number of times you descended this turn. (You descend each time a permanent card is put into your graveyard from anywhere. To discover, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with that mana value or less. Cast it without paying its mana cost or put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom in a random order.)
1R, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Fire creates just as easily as it destroys.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes the random nature of discover, and being able to do it on each of his turns feels good to him. Johnny has certainly uses for rummaging and might try to manipulate the outcome of discover. Spike always likes the inherent card filtering of rummaging, especially when paired with free spells courtesy of discover.
Elegance 2.5/3 - A bit wordy, especially due to reminder text, but still very understandable at first glance.
Development
Balance 2.5/3 - Rummaging is a clever built-in way to descend. It might be playable in limited but especially in constructed, as it gives you free spells each turn and can enable itself. That might be the recipe for a combo disaster too though. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - A nice twist on a set mechanic, but nothing groundbreaking.
Flavor 1/3 - This card name has already been printed in March of the Machine. The rest of the flavor is good but that's just too much of a problem. You'd need to come up with a new card name before being able to send this to print. This is unprintable as is just due to this.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 21/25

Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
EDIT - Subject16's judgment had been edited and there is now a tie for fourth place, so both tied players advance.

Freyleyes: 23
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5
Komandon: 21.5
Caspernicus: 21
Subject16: 21

shullz: 19
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy does like populating and mass pump, but the token this card makes itself is maybe a bit too small for them. Jxnny has multiple tricks they could do here, with a CMC 10 spell that can be cast for RR and populating plus granting haste. Spike would consider this card if a red deck can fill its graveyard like that.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The effect is simple in what it does but a bit wordy in execution and has a non-evergreen keyword action.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red and rare look right.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing objectionable here. It would take effort to make this card cheap to cast. It's something wheel decks in EDH would be able to use if they had a subtheme of creating tokens, certainly.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Pretty much a mashup card of old effects presented in a way that's new together.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is okay but a bit generic and kind of doesn't explain why the second token created might not be a Dinosaur.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy mostly likes the activated ability. Jxnny has some things they can do with this. Spike, as much as they like cheap exile removal, would not be a fan of the unreliability given the drawback.
(1/3) Elegance - This is a pretty complex card with a lot of line breaks. The tracking involved has an exiled creature, counters, and checking if you've descended. And the copy effect of the activated ability has some inherent complication to it.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Something about this card just doesn't feel monowhite. I think it's the activated ability - tucking your opponent's exiled creature into their graveyard and copying it makes this card seem WU or WB.
(3/3) Balance - An instant speed "oblivion" effect for a creature for two mana is a bit pushed, but the drawback makes up for that. I don't think this would be overpowered in almost any situation.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - While it's mostly a variant of exile-prison cards, this card has several unique ideas, such as descend as a drawback and the copy ability.
(3/3) Flavor - There are angels at Ixalan's core so this card works in the flavor context of the set.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - There shouldn't be the word "token" in the activated ability and it should say "three or more savior counters" rather than use the numeral.

Total: 20/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny are all over this. Even Spike would be into it just for the possibility of getting two or three extra turns out of it in order to win.
(2/3) Elegance - I would say I have to dock a little in elegance for the frustration of other players being locked out of the game until it ends with this card. However, the Level emblems are probably the most elegant way to track this card's effect.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red - Final Fortune is one of the reddest effects in my opinion - and would have to be mythic.
(1.5/3) Balance - You can certainly say this card is swingy - after all, it literally inevitably ends the game. However, it requires a huge amount of setup to not just make its own controller lose. There are technically two-card combos with the likes of Platinum Angel but I'm not that concerned about those.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This is one of the most unusual takes on red extra turns I've ever seen.
(3/3) Flavor - Nice evocative name and not much room for flavor text.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - This is novel templating but I think the Level clause needs rewording: "For the rest of the game, at the beginning of your end step, if you haven't descended this turn for each Level emblem you have, you lose the game." That is unless you meant for the drawback to be exponential, making it even harder to win with...
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks fine.

Total: 22/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Digging for an instant/sorcery and big self-mill is mostly a Jxnny and Spike effect - it's just not Txmmy's thing.
(1.5/3) Elegance - This card needs rewording to work how I believe it's meant to. Since targets are chosen when a spell is put on the stack, you won't be able to return a card you milled with this card's effect. See Cauldron's Gift as an example.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely blue, definitely uncommon.
(3/3) Balance - Looks fine to me.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Basically a new, descend-themed take on the very old effect of instorcery recursion.
(3/3) Flavor - Name is a bit generic but I really like that flavor text, which makes up for it. The name is still evocative also.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.

Total: 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy is all over this for obvious reasons. Jxnny has plenty of things to manipulate and ways to combo out. Spike would put red into a self-mill deck and go to town with this being one of their finishers.
(2.5/3) Elegance - All that exiling and putting into the graveyard involves a bit of bookkeeping for certain.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This very much feels like a red mythic.
(2/3) Balance - Another swingy one here for sure in that you can gamble and cast it without descend 8 already being active. Three free spells for five mana is obviously INCREDIBLY strong but this is relatively difficult to control what you get.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - A pretty interesting take on a cacade/discover-like ability.
(3/3) Flavor - Great name, great flavor text, great flavor-effect matching.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.

Total: 23/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout 23
netn10 22
AnotherAlias 21.5
Raptorchan 21

haywire 20
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”