Grothama, All-Devouring - The Maw of Oblivion

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 months ago

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
You are telling me that there is a deck, where I can play my old favourite Mossbridge Troll and it's actually great? Whoa!

Jokes aside, this deck looks fantastic, thanks for the primer and all the insides! Is there a budget decklist?
Mossbridge Troll is amazing in our list!

We don't have a budget list card-by-card, but more or less anything can be cut. I've mentioned upthread that there are four cards that basically win the game when I draw them - Berserk, Vigor, Greater Good, and Psychosis Crawler. I'd be VERY leery about cutting those. Other than that, though, anything's fair game to cut for cost. I've cut all the fast mana out of my list, so no Mana Vault/Mana Crypt drops the cost a bit. The Sword of Feast and Famine is a fine card but can easily be cut for something similar. Dreadnought is cute but again can be cut for basically any other Slug Slugger. I'd say that the key is to make sure that the categories are all full. Make sure that you have enough Slug Sluggers, enough mana, and enough disruption/recovery. My expensive cards are: Boseiju, Nykthos, Yav Hollow, Great Henge, Sword, Ulamog, Ugin, and Dreadnought. All of them are 100% cuttable. The first four can become basic Forests. The last four are utility picks - replace Ulamog and Dreadnought with anything else that kills Grothama. Ugin is our secret wipe tech - make him a Nev's Disk or Unstable Obelisk or that exiling Hedron. And the Sword can just be whatever you want that shores up a weakness.

Happy New Year, from the Cult of the Hug Slug!

Tags:

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 3 months ago

Thanks a lot! I will look into it and try to brew a list!

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 months ago

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
Here's a quick and dirty attempt at making it budget. It's going to be budget by my standards, so it'll probably still be a couple hundred bucks and not truly slashed down to like $50, but I'm cutting a bunch of expensive stuff. Here we go:
Decklist

Wincons

Approximate Total Cost:

OK, currently at 95 cards and I cut almost all the pricy stuff, putting us around $200. I maintain the Berserk and Vigor are 100% worth the price tag and are irreplaceable wincons. Even if I were cutting this back to a $50 deck, I would blow half my budget on those two cards.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Thank you so much! Would it be ok, if I posted my approach in your thread?

SquirrelToken

OK, what's left that might be cuttable to push this cheaper? Well, Grothama herself is pushing $7, but we can hardly cut our general now can we? Maze of Ith at $4, Okina at $4, Sanctum of Eternity at $3, Emerald Medallion at $5, those can all be Forests.Defiler of Vigor at $2.50 is worth it - completely nutty once you get going. Selvala at $8.50 enables a lot of craziness, but I can understand cutting her for cost. Noxious Revival at $4, maybe becomes Regrowth? Any one of a dozen similar effects. Song of the Dryads is gonna be tough to replace, perhaps Lignify? It's not as versatile but it shaves another $4. Bear Umbra - not much replaces this directly, so just free up a slot and move on. Lightning Greaves, well we're already playing Swiftfoot Boots so swap this with a cheap haste or lifelink or trample equipment. Mithril Coat is cool protection, but doesn't NEED to be here. Again, pick something else shroudy or otherwise protective. The Skullspore Nexus seems tailor-made for our deck, but it's also a $7 card that doesn't win the game all by itself so I can see cutting it for cost.

SquirrelToken

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
Thank you so much! Would it be ok, if I posted my approach in your thread?
My thread? My friend, it's OUR thread. Post away! Love to see what you're thinking!

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
OK, what's left that might be cuttable to push this cheaper? Well, Grothama herself is pushing $7, but we can hardly cut our general now can we? Maze of Ith at $4, Okina at $4, Sanctum of Eternity at $3, Emerald Medallion at $5, those can all be Forests.Defiler of Vigor at $2.50 is worth it - completely nutty once you get going. Selvala at $8.50 enables a lot of craziness, but I can understand cutting her for cost. Noxious Revival at $4, maybe becomes Regrowth? Any one of a dozen similar effects. Song of the Dryads is gonna be tough to replace, perhaps Lignify? It's not as versatile but it shaves another $4. Bear Umbra - not much replaces this directly, so just free up a slot and move on. Lightning Greaves, well we're already playing Swiftfoot Boots so swap this with a cheap haste or lifelink or trample equipment. Mithril Coat is cool protection, but doesn't NEED to be here. Again, pick something else shroudy or otherwise protective. The Skullspore Nexus seems tailor-made for our deck, but it's also a $7 card that doesn't win the game all by itself so I can see cutting it for cost.
Sounds reasonable. The manabase would be my first look. As we don'rät need to fiddle with fixing, this should be the easiest to cut.
Luckiliy I own several of the staplesbincluding Selvala, Lightning Greaves, and Song of the Dryads. I should find a way :) thanks for the effort!
SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
My thread? My friend, it's OUR thread. Post away! Love to see what you're thinking!
❤️

Kyra Warsong
Lady Wurmrider
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Kyra Warsong » 3 months ago

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
Here's a quick and dirty attempt at making it budget. It's going to be budget by my standards, so it'll probably still be a couple hundred bucks and not truly slashed down to like $50, but I'm cutting a bunch of expensive stuff. Here we go:
Decklist

Wincons

Approximate Total Cost:

OK, currently at 95 cards and I cut almost all the pricy stuff, putting us around $200. I maintain the Berserk and Vigor are 100% worth the price tag and are irreplaceable wincons. Even if I were cutting this back to a $50 deck, I would blow half my budget on those two cards.
Are you running Kozilek just as a budget card or is it because of the discussion we had a few weeks back? If it's because of our discussion, I'm touched :grin:

This budget list looks eminently reasonable!
cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
There is a budget version of this deck that focuses on using pump spells like Primal Bellow, Aspect of Hydra, Martyr of Spores, Tyvar's Stand, Untamed Might, Strata Scythe, and Blanchwood Armor to get those big Grothama draws; I am convinced this deck is also significantly less powerful than what we've built but could be well suited for janky below precon level games.

Kyra Warsong
Lady Wurmrider

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
You are telling me that there is a deck, where I can play my old favourite Mossbridge Troll and it's actually great? Whoa!

Jokes aside, this deck looks fantastic, thanks for the primer and all the insides! Is there a budget decklist?
Thank you for taking an interest! This deck is my baby and I love it dearly, it makes me really happy when other people decide to give it a try.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Yep, your Grothama looks like a fun alternative to the usual mono green goodstuff lists.
Kyra Warsong wrote:
3 months ago
Are you running Kozilek just as a budget card or is it because of the discussion we had a few weeks back? If it's because of our discussion, I'm touched :grin:
I have a question about Kozilek: Can the deck support the double colorless cost on a regular basis? If so, it looks like an absolute blast.

Kyra Warsong
Lady Wurmrider

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
I have a question about Kozilek: Can the deck support the double colorless cost on a regular basis? If so, it looks like an absolute blast.
Yes, absolutely! In fact, I don't think I've played a game where I haven't gotten the double colorless in time to cast her (although realistically I'm pretty rarely casting her, she more often comes in off a Pattern of Rebirth). You can pretty effectively lock up the game once you have a 29 card hand and thus the ability to counter most anything an opponent can play. Not a centerpiece of the deck by any stretch of the imagination, but good fun when you get her!

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

This is the list I came up with. Atm I'm not playing any mass removal. Feels a bit wrong. Some of the Sluggers are old favourites I wanted to find a home for for years, so here we go!

What do you think?
Decklist

[COMMANDER]

[PLANESWALKERS]

Approximate Total Cost:

SquirrelToken

Kyra Warsong wrote:
3 months ago
cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
Yes, absolutely! In fact, I don't think I've played a game where I haven't gotten the double colorless in time to cast her (although realistically I'm pretty rarely casting her, she more often comes in off a Pattern of Rebirth). You can pretty effectively lock up the game once you have a 29 card hand and thus the ability to counter most anything an opponent can play. Not a centerpiece of the deck by any stretch of the imagination, but good fun when you get her!
Bear in mind that our non-budget list includes 13 sources of C, and we've cut several of those in order to budgetize it. Wasteland, Strip Mine, Nykthos, a little thing you call Mana Crypt ... Not that we can't compensate for those with some budget rocks, but it's definitely a consideration that I should've spent a little more time considering.

SquirrelToken

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
This is the list I came up with. Atm I'm not playing any mass removal. Feels a bit wrong. Some of the Sluggers are old favourites I wanted to find a home for for years, so here we go!

What do you think?
Okay, first, Primalcrux? Absolutely love it. It hasn't really had a home in a while but this is actually a solid Devotion shell, so I can see it being huge. Love to hear how it plays out. Up The Beanstalk, also seems like a great card. I mean, it just ate a Modern ban, so it's gotta be at least mediocre, right? Definitely could see running that. The only real question that I had was Magus of the Order. She comes down T4, and has to survive an entire turn cycle before she can do her thing. Then she's pretty solid, if you have something to sacrifice. You've basically got three Green creatures that you're OK pitching - EWit, Green Slime, and Vet Explorer. I guess she's a sac outlet if an opponent threatens a big swing into Grothama? I can't help feeling that we could do better, though, even on a budget.

Other than that one card, though, this looks fabulous. Lots of similar choices to me and Kyra, so obviously I'm going to like it a lot.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
Okay, first, Primalcrux? Absolutely love it. It hasn't really had a home in a while but this is actually a solid Devotion shell, so I can see it being huge. Love to hear how it plays out. Up The Beanstalk, also seems like a great card. I mean, it just ate a Modern ban, so it's gotta be at least mediocre, right? Definitely could see running that. The only real question that I had was Magus of the Order. She comes down T4, and has to survive an entire turn cycle before she can do her thing. Then she's pretty solid, if you have something to sacrifice. You've basically got three Green creatures that you're OK pitching - EWit, Green Slime, and Vet Explorer. I guess she's a sac outlet if an opponent threatens a big swing into Grothama? I can't help feeling that we could do better, though, even on a budget.

Other than that one card, though, this looks fabulous. Lots of similar choices to me and Kyra, so obviously I'm going to like it a lot.
Thank you :) I like Kyra's and your approach, so I tried to stay true to it.

Actually Primalcrux is another old favourite. It was an all-star in the same deck as Mossbridge Troll featuring stupid stuff like Deus of Calamity, Oversoul of Dusk, and Mayael's Aria. I'm glad, it finally found a place!

I'm still a little bit concerned regarding the Eldrazi and Primalcrux. Supporting both seems ambitious. Maybe something like Hour of Promise alongside Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth could work here.

I'm a bit anxious to leave home without a mass removal. Maybe I can find a slot.

Magus of the Order is probably cuttable, yes.

I opened an Up The Beanstalk, so why not give it a try here? Soemone compared it to Night's Whisper and I like that comparison. Drawing a second card off it should be really easy and everything beyond that is just great.

Hot did Green Slime work for you? It feels really niche compared to other options. And does Rhonas's Monument really pull it's weight?

Kyra Warsong
Lady Wurmrider

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago

I'm a bit anxious to leave home without a mass removal. Maybe I can find a slot.

Hot did Green Slime work for you? It feels really niche compared to other options. And does Rhonas's Monument really pull it's weight?
We are really really hard up for mass removal; for awhile I was trying nonsense like Squall Line in a desperate effort to have some kind of mass removal. Larry's Disk is so incredibly slow, Oblivion Stone is expensive and cumbersome (although admittedly not much more than Ugin). Apex Altisaur is just... awful. It feels like Oblivion Stone is the best budget option.

To me, Green Slime does something that green doesn't really get to do. There's hardly a game when there isn't a potential target. I do agree that it is niche, and I think that's okay; very much up to personal preference. Rhonas's Monument, however, I will defend to the death; it has won me a fair number of games just by turning on trample on my Mossbridge Troll. The cost reduction is very much secondary to enabling trample, but is by no means nothing.

SquirrelToken

Oh yeah, 100% concur on the Monument. Trample is how we turn from "army of big things" into "actually reducing life totals". I have Green Slime as a "disruption" card - it doesn't advance our game plan so much as prevent someone else from advancing theirs. It's basically Rec Sage, except a little more aggressive, AND it denies them the activation. Normally the artifact or enchantment in question will do its thing once more in response to the destroy trigger, but this shuts down the shenanigans. Again, it's not really necessary, and you could definitely pick a different hatebear, but it's a solid pick, I feel.

As far as wraths, we don't need to wrath. If someone has a huuuuuuuge army, we give our team Trample. If they have one or two big creatures, then we might have to let them attack and use Zerk on their creature. It's not an amazing plan, but it gets the job done. And hey, maybe we can get someone else to cast a wrath if we really really need it, but I've found that "surprise! you're taking 48 trample damage!" works pretty well.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 months ago

I see Rhonas's Monument for trample + mana reduction, but no Garruk's Uprising for trample + card draw. Maybe because Grothama draws all the cards you need, so the mana is worth more than the cards?

SquirrelToken

PrimevalCommander wrote:
3 months ago
I see Rhonas's Monument for trample + mana reduction, but no Garruk's Uprising for trample + card draw. Maybe because Grothama draws all the cards you need, so the mana is worth more than the cards?
Yeah, we have a silly-strong draw engine in the command zone, so personally, I've found that I'm not really playing more than 3 big creatures in a game. Either I'm winning, at which point Grothama draws me all the cards I need and more, or I'm losing, and I need something indestructible to stabilize and it's not enough and I lose anyway. Having draw be dependent on the thing that I'm digging for isn't terribly useful, although as you say the Trample isn't exactly trinket text. I certainly wouldn't frown on anyone putting Uprising in their decks. I'd put it in the Toys section, where it can replace something more expensive if we're doing the budget build, or maybe trim something else for it?

Kyoshiro

Post by Kyoshiro » 3 months ago

Hello,

First of all, I fell in love with Grothama thanks to your primer so thank you ! :love:

I was curious about some cards not being included, since the budget isn't a problem ( hello Phyrexian Dreadnought or Mana Crypt ):

- Concordant Crossroads, the deck lacks "haste" cards and for one mana you can blow up the table after some big drops from Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant for example or anything else
- Sylvan Library is just too damn good to dig early in the deck to build up our gameplan fast enough
- Last March of the Ents, another wincon like Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant or Myojin of Life's Web. It can't be countered, you get more cards and you don't even need a big creature on the board to use it if you previously drew with our lovely Grothama
- Gaea's Touch is my favorite ramp spell ! You can ramp reeeally fast and get that last bump needed by sacrifying it. You can reach 7 mana turn 3 with enough lands in hand + the activated ability.
- Natural Order instead of Pattern of Rebirth, it seems to me that it's just better in general ?

Furthermore, I love Cultivator Colossus and Realm Seekers which are both amazing cards ! One gives you a big trample creature with SO MUCH ramp and draw in a single turn after your hand is filled with lands thanks to Grothama and the other is a huge beatstick for 6 mana, especially with a big hand of course, but even with 4 normal hands from each player it can be already terrifying.

I'm looking forward to see what you think about these ones :grin:

Here's my decklist so far:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

SquirrelToken

Kyoshiro wrote:
3 months ago
Hello,

First of all, I fell in love with Grothama thanks to your primer so thank you ! :love:

I was curious about some cards not being included, since the budget isn't a problem ( hello Phyrexian Dreadnought or Mana Crypt ):

- Concordant Crossroads, the deck lacks "haste" cards and for one mana you can blow up the table after some big drops from Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant for example or anything else
- Sylvan Library is just too damn good to dig early in the deck to build up our gameplan fast enough
- Last March of the Ents, another wincon like Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant or Myojin of Life's Web. It can't be countered, you get more cards and you don't even need a big creature on the board to use it if you previously drew with our lovely Grothama
- Gaea's Touch is my favorite ramp spell ! You can ramp reeeally fast and get that last bump needed by sacrifying it. You can reach 7 mana turn 3 with enough lands in hand + the activated ability.
- Natural Order instead of Pattern of Rebirth, it seems to me that it's just better in general ?

Furthermore, I love Cultivator Colossus and Realm Seekers which are both amazing cards ! One gives you a big trample creature with SO MUCH ramp and draw in a single turn after your hand is filled with lands thanks to Grothama and the other is a huge beatstick for 6 mana, especially with a big hand of course, but even with 4 normal hands from each player it can be already terrifying.

I'm looking forward to see what you think about these ones :grin:
Welcome to the Cult of the Slug! Glad to see you around!

As far as your cards go, the only one I really disagree with is Natural Order. Pattern of Rebirth is more flexible - if you have a slugger, you suit up Grothama with the Pattern, swing into her, then you get the cards AND whatever you wanted to dig for (probably Ghalta 2.0). NO just lets you trade one body for another, which is not a bad thing! You can definitely run it with no shame. But what are you saccing to NO? Looking at your list, you've got a bunch of sluggers, a couple cards like Gigantosaurus that kill Grothama and die, and a couple Goreclaw iterations. You don't have the token-makers or the "made-to-be-killed" bodies (that, to be fair, Kyra and I have both phased out as well). So, what's your NO sacrifice?

Last March of the Ents seems ... fine? It's eight mana, and that's a lot. If we've already drawn a huge hand, we're winning anyway. If we don't have a huge hand, we need a big butt on the board. I think that the key consideration is that we don't usually win by going wide with beaters. Sure, the game CAN play out that way, but our normal wins are through drawing our library with Psychosis Crawler in play, or Berserking a huge indestructible/regenerating beater and then maybe doing it again. So I don't think that "dump your hand for 8 mana" is great. Honestly, I've never even managed to pull off the Myojin "dump your hand" trick, and that costs one more and comes with a creature that kills Grothama and survives doing it.

Gaea's Touch is fast mana, and I've made a personal choice to eschew that, but it's a cool old card, especially if you have the version that's misprinted (about half of them have the text shifted a few millimeters). Sylvan Library, basically the same thing (It's powerful; I'm consciously powering down). I can't remember our original thoughts on Concordant Crossroads - I'll let @Kyra Warsong speak to that one. On paper it seems decent, especially if we're dropping it the turn we're going to win instead of just mindlessly running it out on T1 and letting everyone else benefit from it first.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Pass on NO, Last March seems like a worse copy of an effect that we already have and I never use, and the rest are personal choices.

Kyoshiro

Post by Kyoshiro » 3 months ago

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
Welcome to the Cult of the Slug! Glad to see you around!

As far as your cards go, the only one I really disagree with is Natural Order. Pattern of Rebirth is more flexible - if you have a slugger, you suit up Grothama with the Pattern, swing into her, then you get the cards AND whatever you wanted to dig for (probably Ghalta 2.0). NO just lets you trade one body for another, which is not a bad thing! You can definitely run it with no shame. But what are you saccing to NO? Looking at your list, you've got a bunch of sluggers, a couple cards like Gigantosaurus that kill Grothama and die, and a couple Goreclaw iterations. You don't have the token-makers or the "made-to-be-killed" bodies (that, to be fair, Kyra and I have both phased out as well). So, what's your NO sacrifice?

Last March of the Ents seems ... fine? It's eight mana, and that's a lot. If we've already drawn a huge hand, we're winning anyway. If we don't have a huge hand, we need a big butt on the board. I think that the key consideration is that we don't usually win by going wide with beaters. Sure, the game CAN play out that way, but our normal wins are through drawing our library with Psychosis Crawler in play, or Berserking a huge indestructible/regenerating beater and then maybe doing it again. So I don't think that "dump your hand for 8 mana" is great. Honestly, I've never even managed to pull off the Myojin "dump your hand" trick, and that costs one more and comes with a creature that kills Grothama and survives doing it.

Gaea's Touch is fast mana, and I've made a personal choice to eschew that, but it's a cool old card, especially if you have the version that's misprinted (about half of them have the text shifted a few millimeters). Sylvan Library, basically the same thing (It's powerful; I'm consciously powering down). I can't remember our original thoughts on Concordant Crossroads - I'll let @Kyra Warsong speak to that one. On paper it seems decent, especially if we're dropping it the turn we're going to win instead of just mindlessly running it out on T1 and letting everyone else benefit from it first.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Pass on NO, Last March seems like a worse copy of an effect that we already have and I never use, and the rest are personal choices.
I see what you mean with Natural Order as I don't have many good creatures to trade with, I use it either early and sac whatever I can to get what I need to kill Grothama/cheese or to get the one creature I need when my board is already established. How do you effectively use Pattern of Rebirth though ? Casting it and Grothama in a single turn is 9 manas and leaving Grothama alone a whole turn is dangerous. And if you already have a nice board and just want the icing on the cake, it's too unreliable because you need to find a way to kill the creature if it's not Grothama.

For Last March of the Ents, it looks to me as good as the new Ghalta > Same cmc but you trade the big body for more draw ( so more creatures to drop ) and the "can't be counterspelled". 8 manas to blow up the whole table seems a fair trade to me but I'm gonna admit this is one of my favorite wincon as I really enjoy dropping a whole army of fatties on the board haha (that's why I want to play Concordant Crossroads too). I may replace the myojin for something else because it costs one more mana

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

So how do the discard animals work for you (Wild Mongrel and Noose Constrictor)? I they can frow to enourmous sizes, but only after we killed Grothama.

SquirrelToken

cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
So how do the discard animals work for you (Wild Mongrel and Noose Constrictor)? I they can frow to enourmous sizes, but only after we killed Grothama.
They aren't there to get enormous, they're there as safety valves so that we can discard Ulamog and recycle our graveyard instead of decking ourselves.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 months ago
cheonice wrote:
3 months ago
They aren't there to get enormous, they're there as safety valves so that we can discard Ulamog and recycle our graveyard instead of decking ourselves.
Yeah, that makes sense 😅
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”