Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

CCL November Signups/Round 2

"Free Folk's Stand"

Pride of the Perfect, taken from Art of MtG, by Lie Setiawan and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Characteristic Types here at the CCL, so every challenge will have something to do with the usually small, prevalent, humanoid creature types that are often used for each color.

Challenge
Design a card that contains either the text "Elves you control" or "Merfolk you control".
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You must include that exact phrase in the rules text, but anything can come either before or after it.
  • You could, if you wished, have both "Elves you control" and "Merfolk you control".
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter second round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, November 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 16th-21st)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 24th-27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due November 29th)
  • Final (December, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 6 months ago

Gravelgill Voodoo Masters
Creature - Merfolk Rogue Warlock (Mythic)
Other Merfolk you control get +1/+0 and have wither.
Conspire (As you cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that share a color with it. When you do, copy it and you may choose a new target for the copy.)
1/1
Last edited by AnotherAlias 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 6 months ago

Elvish Politician 2U
Creature - Elf Advisor (Rare)
Other Elves you control gets +1/+1.
Will of the council — At the beginning of your upkeep, starting with you, each player votes for preparation or defense. If preparation gets more votes, scry X, where X's the number of Elves you control . If defense gets more votes or the vote is tied, Elves you control gains hexproof until your next turn.
2/2

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 6 months ago

Bloodhunt Invoker 3UR
Creature — Shark Merfolk Shaman (R)
Bloodthirst 2 (If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.)
6UR: Each Merfolk you control deals damage equal to its power to target opponent.
"The horn is sounded. The feast begins."
4/3

shullz

Post by shullz » 6 months ago

Otohime's Invitation
Tribal Enchantment - Merfolk Aura (R)
Enchant non-Merfolk creature
Vanishing X, where X is the number of Merfolk you control. (This enchantment enters the battlefield with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
You control enchanted creature.
So great was his happiness that he forgot everything, even his home, his parents and his country, and three days passed without his even thinking of all he had left behind.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 6 months ago

Tidal Advantage 1UU
Enchantment (uncommon)
When Tidal Advantage enters the battlefield you may pay u, if you do create a 1/1 blue Merfolk creature token with islandwalk. Merfolk you control with islandwalk gain +2/+0 when attacking and +0/+2 when blocking. Other creatures you control with islandwalk have +1/+0 when attacking and +0/+1 when blocking.
U: Target creature you control gains islandwalk until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control three or more basic Islands.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 6 months ago

Wellgabber Armorer 1W
Creature - Merfolk Artificer (Common)
Other Merfolk you control get +0/+1.
T: Target non-Merfolk creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each Merfolk you control. Untap that creature.
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 6 months ago

Meria's Counselor 2RR
Creature - Elf Artificer {R}
Prowess
When Meria's Counselor enters the battlefield, exile the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of Elves you control. Put each land card exiled this way onto the battlefield tapped. Until the end of your next turn, you may play artifact and Elf cards exiled this way. Shuffle all other cards exiled this way into your library.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

Alright, please critique everyone else and post a T3 - I'll close critiques on Sunday!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 5 months ago

Critiques
SPOILER
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
6 months ago
Conspire (As you cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that share a color with it. When you do, copy it and you may choose a new target for the copy.)
1/1
I don't understand how this work with Conspire. It doesn't have a target ability such as ETB.
netn10 wrote:
6 months ago
Elvish Politician 2U
Will of the council — At the beginning of your upkeep, starting with you, each player votes for preparation or defense. If preparation gets more votes, scry X, where X's the number of Elves you control . If defense gets more votes or the vote is tied, Elves you control gains hexproof until your next turn.
2/2
Seems like a card LotR of Kaldheim (if it had an elf precon) set should have had.
Subject16 wrote:
6 months ago
Bloodhunt Invoker 3UR
Bloodthirst 2 (If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.)
6UR: Each Merfolk you control deals damage equal to its power to target opponent.
4/3
Even for the 8 cost is seems over powered. Maybe if it was a tap effect at sorcery speed. Or a once per turn at sorcery speed. But maybe being red gives a balance since most EDH decks wouldn't have red with merfolk kindred.
shullz wrote:
6 months ago
Otohime's Invitation
Tribal Enchantment - Merfolk Aura (R)
Enchant non-Merfolk creature
Vanishing X, where X is the number of Merfolk you control. (This enchantment enters the battlefield with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
You control enchanted creature.
So great was his happiness that he forgot everything, even his home, his parents and his country, and three days passed without his even thinking of all he had left behind.
A nice theme theft card. And if I remember correctly Merfolk were where the looter mechanic started so it makes sense for them to steal. Also merfolk from Zedikar.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
6 months ago
Wellgabber Armorer 1W
T: Target non-Merfolk creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each Merfolk you control. Untap that creature.
1/1
Nice a what to have a blend of two or more creature types working together. Like the human and non-human in Ikoria. White makes sense for Lorwyn which was my favorite modern block.
MonoRedMage wrote:
6 months ago
Meria's Counselor 2RR
Prowess
When Meria's Counselor enters the battlefield, exile the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of Elves you control. Put each land card exiled this way onto the battlefield tapped. Until the end of your next turn, you may play artifact and Elf cards exiled this way. Shuffle all other cards exiled this way into your library.
2/2
Seems like a lot going on. Though I don't know of any other impulse draw with Prowess. Only thing I would have changed is haste or the trigger to last till the next precombat step to take advantage of Prowess.
Top 3
SPOILER
Show
Hide

1st - kwanyeegor-ii
2nd - shullz
3rd - netn10

netn10

Post by netn10 » 5 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
This card is Shadowmoor through and through. 1/1 lords for 2 are weird, and also +1/+0 instead of +1/+1. Conspire on a creature is a new one, and it works.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Every time I see a red Merfolk, I think of sharks, and you went for it. It's convenient yet spot on, so no points were taken off. Bloodthirst on a shark is, of course, beautiful and flavorful. The activated ability being expensive makes sense, although I wish this card were just mono red and/or the activated ability would have cost less equal to the damage dealt to opponents.
shullz
Show
Hide
A mono blue Merfolk is boring for this challenge, but an aura is more to my taste. Vanishing equal to the number of Merfolk is fresh, and a steal effect with vanishing is cool. The flavor text is beautiful.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Straight out of Lorwyn, including the annoying free on-board tricks. That format is a beautiful mess lol. This is a powerhouse of a common that can only fit that kind of format. The untapping really puts this on top. I can see this as an uncommon, maybe even a rare.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
There's a lot of disjointed stuff here. I don't sense the 'prowess' or the 'elf' part in this. The card itself is very solid, and I believe it could be cool in the right setting.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Subject16
2nd: shullz
3rd: AnotherAlias

shullz

Post by shullz » 5 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
6 months ago
1/1
This would definitely find a home in a merfolk deck.
Permanently buffing your creatures' power and giving them wither is probably far too powerful for two mana, even if it's mythic. Conspire on a creature is a new idea, although it may be a bit awkward with the existing rules text because of the missing target und should probably include a line about creating a token.
netn10 wrote:
6 months ago
Elvish Politician 2U
2/2
A politician with will of the council is an interesting and flavorful way to design a politician creature. I like it.
Subject16 wrote:
6 months ago
Bloodhunt Invoker 3UR
4/3
Unleash the sharks! It's a nice way to inject red into Merfolk. I don't know if we ever saw Merfolk with features of different sea creatures, but we definitely should.
Komandon wrote:
6 months ago
Tidal Advantage 1UU
Enchantment (uncommon)
When Tidal Advantage enters the battlefield you may pay u, if you do create a 1/1 blue Merfolk creature token with islandwalk. Merfolk you control with islandwalk gain +2/+0 when attacking and +0/+2 when blocking. Other creatures you control with islandwalk have +1/+0 when attacking and +0/+1 when blocking.
U: Target creature you control gains islandwalk until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control three or more basic Islands.
Lord of Atlantis and Master of the Pearl Trident want this card. The tide giving different bonuses to Merfolks is an absolute flavor win in my book.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
6 months ago
Wellgabber Armorer 1W
1/1
At first I was confused by a mono white Merfolk, then I learned that Lorwyn did this before and after finding Wellgabber Apothecary this makes a lot more sense.
Having to build a deck with a lot of Merfolk and some non-Merfolk feels a bit awkward, but I can imagine ways to build around this.
It seems too complex and unique for a common.
MonoRedMage wrote:
6 months ago
Meria's Counselor 2RR
Prowess
2/2
This card being red makes sense flavorwise and something taking the number of elves you control into account feels a bit more appropriate to me than a lord effect on a red elf, but I don't see any reason for this to not be green, especially with the ramp effect.
Top3
Show
Hide
1. Komandon
2. netn10
3. Subject16

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

Going to extend this critique period by another day. Both round 1 and round 2 critiques will be due tomorrow.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 5 months ago

Top 3:
3rd: MonoRedMage
2nd: Subject16
1st: shullz

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

And our top 4 contestants:

netn10
shullz
Subject16
Komandon

Round to come in the immediate future.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”