Possibility storm

Porknz
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Porknz » 9 months ago

Casual player making his first edh deck from scratch.

If I have possibilty storm in play, and I play a card from hand with an etb, does it trigger?

Let's say that card has cascade, and it Cascades a card with an etb. Does that trigger?

Thanks!

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 9 months ago
Please use card tags in this forum when asking a question! Possibility Storm

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Do you mean, for example, if you cast a Wall of Omens while controlling Possibility Storm? What happens in this case is the WoO spell is exiled from the stack, and you then exile cards from your library until you exile a creature card, which you may cast without paying its mana cost, then put all the exiled cards including the Wall on the bottom of your library randomized. A permanent spell cast from your hand will never enter the battlefield in this instance unless the triggered ability of PS doesn't resolve somehow, so you will not draw a card from WoO's ability, because that ability will never trigger.

If you cast Ardent Plea, meanwhile, you will do two things: Exile from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with mana value 2 or less, may cast that without paying its mana cost, and put the other exiled cards on the bottom of your library randomized, as per the Plea's cascade ability, and do the Possibility thing as described above but for enchantments. The order you do these in depends on the order you choose to put the triggered abilities on the stack, because, critically, they both have the same trigger: Casting a spell.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Please use card tags in this forum when asking a question! Possibility Storm

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Do you mean, for example, if you cast a Wall of Omens while controlling Possibility Storm? What happens in this case is the WoO spell is exiled from the stack, and you then exile cards from your library until you exile a creature card, which you may cast without paying its mana cost, then put all the exiled cards including the Wall on the bottom of your library randomized. A permanent spell cast from your hand will never enter the battlefield in this instance unless the triggered ability of PS doesn't resolve somehow, so you will not draw a card from WoO's ability, because that ability will never trigger.

If you cast Ardent Plea, meanwhile, you will do two things: Exile from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with mana value 2 or less, may cast that without paying its mana cost, and put the other exiled cards on the bottom of your library randomized, as per the Plea's cascade ability, and do the Possibility thing as described above but for enchantments. The order you do these in depends on the order you choose to put the triggered abilities on the stack, because, critically, they both have the same trigger: Casting a spell.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Porknz

Wild-Magic Sorcerer

Okay, so initial card doesn't enter because it exiles first.

Does the card that replaces it trigger when it is played from exile? I suppose what I'm asking is, does a card played from exile etb? What if I play a card from exile in response to Possibility Storm and that card is Wall of Omens ? Do I draw a card when playing it from exile?

Thanks.

Porknz

Follow up...

If I am playing Rocco, Street Chef and I flip over Young Red Dragon // Bathe in Gold to play from exile, can I play the adventure or the creature?

Thanks.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Porknz wrote:
9 months ago
Wild-Magic Sorcerer

Okay, so initial card doesn't enter because it exiles first.

Does the card that replaces it trigger when it is played from exile? I suppose what I'm asking is, does a card played from exile etb? What if I play a card from exile in response to Possibility Storm and that card is Wall of Omens ? Do I draw a card when playing it from exile?

Thanks.
Still not 100% sure what you're asking. Once a permanent spell cast from anywhere resolves, the permanent it becomes enters the battlefield and any relevant "Enters the battlefield" abilities trigger. If you had cast a Grizzly Bears with Possibility Storm out, and then you exiled a Wall of Omens with the Storm, the Wall would enter the battlefield upon resolving.
Porknz wrote:
9 months ago
Follow up...

If I am playing Rocco, Street Chef and I flip over Young Red Dragon // Bathe in Gold to play from exile, can I play the adventure or the creature?

Thanks.
Yes, you can play either half of a split card, Adventure-having permanent, or modal DFC if you exile it with Rocco.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Porknz

Thanks for your time!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”