MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Absolutely. (I was happy to see Thalia and The Gitrog Monster in the MOM previews but, since the members of the legendary teams come from the same plane as one another, this seems like a missed opportunity for Tatsunari to take Gitrog for a spin.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/22/23 is Akroan Horse.

Mechanically, this is good execution of a top-down design. Flavorfully - this is, for me, one of those instances where Theros fell flat by hewing way too closely to actual Greek mythology. Having an event in the background of the story called The Akroan War that was won due to the deceptive gift of a horse monument in which soldiers actually held... it's a bit on the nose and a bit cheesy. Do something different with your mythic tropes! Show me the clever twist!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

For one, they could have made it a giant wooden badger.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/23/23 is Oko's Accomplices.

So this was a planeswalker deck card. Whether you would want to put this body/stats in a set depends on the kind of Limited you want.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/24/23 is Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.

Ah, a strong Teferi, but not the strongest Teferi.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/24/23 is Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.

Ah, a strong Teferi, but not the strongest Teferi.
Ah man. This was the card that I played when I was first getting into standard. Jeskai control with this guy, Deafening Clarion and Niv-Mizzet, Parun. Settle the Wreckage. IXA DOM to WAR environment was so much fun.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/27/23 is Mishra's Groundbreaker.

Maybe Mishra's oddest artifact.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/1/23 is Sheoldred, the Apocalypse.

In terms of Praetor ability pairs, this is a particularly nasty one since it'll be popping off all the time. Thankfully deathtouch isn't that relevant a keyword at Sheoldred's size, and she's relatively easy to kill other than the fact of that somewhat high toughness, but as players of multiple formats can attest, she is very powerful.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/2/23 is Thieves' Fortune.

Prowl is such a guilty pleasure mechanic for me.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I love Prowl but I also love it if they would print it on more cards like its an amazing tribal mechanic as technically it is worded to work with any subtype.

Aggressive Drinker R
Creature - Vampire (C)
Prowl 1R (You may cast this for its prowl cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with a Vampire.)
If the Prowl cost was paid, Aggressive Drinker has Bloodthirst 2 .
1/1
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/3/23 is School of Piranha.

I like blue beaters with an upkeep cost, but that's just too steep. Change the 1U in the ability to U, and I'd print this today.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

"Upkeep or sac" creatures haven't really been a thing for ... well, for quite a while. Lord of the Pit and Force of Nature are the OGs, but the ability seemed to quickly migrate toward big blue beaters. But usually, BIG blue beaters. 1U for a 3/3 may still be above curve, but with no other abilities (protection or evasion), it ends up feeling weak.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/5/23 is Vindictive Mob.

Ah, the classic and stereotypical example of trinket text.

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/5/23 is Vindictive Mob.

Ah, the classic and stereotypical example of trinket text.
Trinket text imho should be for flavor, and I'm not getting the flavor here.

Like imagine this

Incorrigible Princeling
Creature — Human Noble (R)
Whenever Incorrigible Princeling attacks, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
Incorrigible Princeling can't be blocked by Nobles.
1/1

That's the trinket text I like, it's still mostly irrelevant, but at least the logic is that he's so spoiled no one can tell him what to do. It just exists to make the reader laugh.

Or Kodama of the East Tree is another perfect example. There only a tiny power level impact to the card having reach outside of incredibly fringe cases, but it is fantastic flavor because of... Kodama's Reach

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
I read it as the mob specifically hates the Selesnya (B versus GW), and thus hoses one of their main mechanical themes. Unfortunately, there's not a loose cycle of corresponding cards hating on the other allied color guilds to make it make sense in context.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
I read it as the mob specifically hates the Selesnya (B versus GW), and thus hoses one of their main mechanical themes. Unfortunately, there's not a loose cycle of corresponding cards hating on the other allied color guilds to make it make sense in context.
Now there's a prompt for the Custom Card contests.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/6/23 is Craven Knight.

Could be a black common today - would probably not be a very good one, but still. The sword and shield symbols by P/T were a good learning idea for Portal, but "intercept" instead of "block" is just so baffling.

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Ah, thanks for the explanation.

So in that case:

Waste Ooze
Creature — Ooze (U)
If an ability an opponent controls would cause a card to be put into that player's graveyard, exile it and put two +1/+1 counters on Waste Ooze instead.
2/2

(Not sure the wording works but the idea is conveyed) The stats are bad and it doesn't have trample because this was before creatures could be powerful. JK
My feeble attempt at making a card to hose the Dimir strategy.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
My feeble attempt at making a card to hose the Dimir strategy.
I was JUST about to post this:

Primeval Ancient
3{G}
Creature - Elemental (U)
When Primeval Ancient is put into your graveyard from your library by a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may put it onto the battlefield.
4/3
It refuses to be censured or forgotten.

Still seems too good. The rest are so hard. White already has so much top-tier Rakdos hate. Ironically the hard part is making something as niche and mediocre as the Mob.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I like Intercept for a few cases:

Rogue Bogy R
Artifact - Vehicle
Haste, Flying
When Rogue Bogy enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 colorless Pilot creature token with "This creature crews Vehicles as though its power were 2 greater."
Whenever Rogue Bogy is intercepted, sacrifice it and a pilot creature you control.
Crew - 2
HIGHWAY TO THE DANGERZONEEEEEEEEEEEE!
2/1
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Ironically the hard part is making something as niche and mediocre as the Mob.
I'm at work and I've had this on my mind all day.

Wary Zeppelid
3{U}{U}
Creature - Beast (U)
Flying
Wary Zeppelid can't block or be blocked by creatures with reach.
4/3

The closest to the original: evasive fattie with a drawback that hates Gruul vaguely.

Disgruntled Citizens
2{R}{R}
Creature - Human Citizen (U)
Haste
When Disgruntled Citizens enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a creature with flying or an enchantment, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token.
3/2

Almost Summit Prowler that vaguely hates Azorius (and Orzhov too, for good measure, which I think is thematically appropriate).

Marble Spirit
2{W}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Vigilance
When Marble Spirit dies, if you were dealt damage this turn, you gain 4 life.
1/4

I admit this is the toughest one; very hard to design something that doesn't completely hose the Rakdos. At least the latter are very eager and very prone to damaging you, so this might make life a bit tougher for them.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/7/23 is Intercessor's Arrest.

An updated, well, Arrest with an extra clause pertaining to the set's themes.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/9/23 is Filigree Angel.

Happy International Women's Day! This card could have been monowhite in most sets, but of course Alara's multicolor policy is different, and Alara Reborn was special.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/9/23 is Lord of Atlantis.

A classic lord, obviously. Master of the Pearl Trident is the modernized version in multiple ways. That Fifth Edition flavor text goes so hard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”