MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I LOVE SPOTTED GRIFFIN!!!

That said I do have a Zuberi, Golden Feather EDH deck where its play griffins and give them Swords and anthems to fight dragons in the sky. It turns out that its bonkers if no combos are played.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/3/23 is Flameborn Viron.

One of my personal favorite vanillas for flavor and general feel. I have a big soft spot for this card!
Huh, I wonder how I missed this Card of the Day?

Between this and Axegrinder Giant, I now honestly prefer Craw Wurm in red; it feels it should have been all along.

I remember expecting a vanilla 6/4 to appear in black at some point, so imagine my surprise at Bog Stomper.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/8/23 is Hibernation.

Another day, another backbreaking color hoser.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/12/23 is Dawnhart Rejuvenator.

Mana-making creatures at this CMC and above usually aren't really for accelerating or even fixing mana - they're usually something like Limited blockers with something extra unless they're making more than one mana.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Just a few weeks ago I had been thinking about this card and how extraneous the mana ability seems; with the toughness and lifegain it's clearly meant to slow down aggro.

I remember being amused that this was basically a reprint of Centaur Nurturer, probably to fill out similar niches.

I wonder about swapping the stats, though;

Gemhide Dino
3{G}
Creature - Dinosaur (C)
When Gemhide Dino enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.
4/2
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

For one thing, it strikes me that Gemhide Dino would be a higher pick. For another, it's more multifunctional - the mana ability is something that would be most useful when it's not safe for stats like those to enter combat, which happens much more often with 2 toughness than 4. Final point - those abilities on a 3/2 for 2G (maybe dropping down to 2 life gained?) would make the most sense for a creature that TRULY does many different things, because a three-mana mana dork is going to tap for mana more often.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/15/23 is Dovin's Automaton.

These were fun - almost enough to make me miss planeswalker decks.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/18/23 is Baleful Stare.

A cool name used on, well, a color hoser. I happen to also like Withering Gaze's name - it's abstract but also ties into hosing green.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 11 months ago

I actually wish we got more color hosers in the form of interaction vs stax pieces. the stax pieces are fine to be gone but I love the removal and interaction color hoser cards and design.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 11 months ago

Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
I actually wish we got more color hosers in the form of interaction vs stax pieces. the stax pieces are fine to be gone but I love the removal and interaction color hoser cards and design.
I think hoser cards such as Aether Gust and Shifting Ceratops do a good job of providing a break glass in case of emergency that helps make sure a particular color doesn't go unchecked in the meta.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/19/23 is Part the Waterveil.

The neat thing about awaken is that it lets you kind of make ETB effects that would be oppressive or otherwise problematic in blink decks.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/22/23 is Coming Attraction.

Dammit all, Rex.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/23/23 is Spreading Seas.

This effect goes back and forth between blue and black.

Ulka

I love the historical implications of the these effects as they feel so important still with the historical effects that Islandhome effects and swampwalk effects. The feelings that those lines of text give creatures of old is just so good. Swampwalk being the most common landwalk shows that greatness at any cost ideal black deals with where Islandhome was mostly found on blue creatures as the idea that blue creatures need help getting through to hurting others which makes sense that a whale or sea serpent would need more water to hit a player with all mountains.

While these effects are full of flavor they are ones that are tougher to utilize in a more modern magic setting due to it often falling into the idea of color hate which Wizards has mostly phased out of magic. However Spreading Seas is one of the most powerful versions that has existed recently and it is a shining example of how to utilize these effects going forward.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/24/23 is Staff of Domination.

The ultimate toolbox artifact! This card was fearsome in its heyday, still gets play, and inspired the recent Staff of Compleation.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/25/23 is Planar Atlas.

A mana rock that does mana fixing in sort of a unique way.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/31/23 is Mirari's Wake.

A classic combination of a white Glorious Anthem and a green one-sided Heartbeat of Spring, this card's still powerful. (Arguably, it's also the successor of the very old Gauntlet of Might.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/2/23 is Khorvath's Fury.

This cycle's neat. The kind of multiplayer politics I can get behind.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/5/23 is Pollenbright Wings.

Hey, it can take over Limited games!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/6/23 is Carrion Crow.

A prime example of Core Set design.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/7/23 is Zombie Cutthroat.

A 3/4 for 3 and 5 life seemed like a much better deal at one point...

VariousBoots

Post by VariousBoots » 11 months ago

Sure that isn't competitvely costed for modern magic, but it is an example of one of the first alternative cost morph abilities. That in itself is creative design space a that is worth exploring more, in my opinion.

Ulka

This card has aged poorly but it walked in reverse so that cards in Khans could run.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

VariousBoots wrote:
11 months ago
Sure that isn't competitvely costed for modern magic, but it is an example of one of the first alternative cost morph abilities. That in itself is creative design space a that is worth exploring more, in my opinion.
Yes, I was going to mention that nonmana morph costs are cool!

Nosferatu Cutthroat 4BB
Creature - Vampire Assassin (U)
Ward - Pay 3 life.
Nosferatu Cutthroat has lifelink as long as it's attacking.
Morph - Sacrifice a black creature.
5/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/13/23 is Mind Spring.

Various X draw spells have played an outsize role in competitive Magic, although this one is safe enough that better versions have been made (like Silver Scrutiny).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”