MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/10/23 is Faerie Formation.

I feel like we've seen a handful of cards along these lines recently.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/12/23 is Saw in Half.

Some nice, non-acorn Unfinity fun!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/13/23 is Daring Piracy.

A really neat and lenticular Jumpstart card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/17/23 is Ronom Serpent.

The first of the Serpents to care about something other than Islands?

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 10 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
10 months ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/17/23 is Ronom Serpent.

The first of the Serpents to care about something other than Islands?
LOL, on a technicality. You KNOW those snow covered lands were islands lol.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/18/23 is Mistform Wall.

In order to keep the card's initial function, R&D adopted an unusual solution in this card's Oracle text after the Wall type stopped having its own rules meaning and defender became a keyword.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/19/23 is Mesa Chicken.

As far as Un-cards go this has a fun, simple gag. And a 2/2 flyer for WW was a great deal back then!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/20/23 is Vile Manifestation.

Neat.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/21/23 is Subtle Strike.

I have a soft spot for cards like this - Skulduggery and the like.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/24/23 is Coral Colony.

Tap abilities and Walls go together like peanut butter and chocolate, and it's nice to have a slow fiddly theme in Limited once in a while.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 9 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/24/23 is Coral Colony.

Tap abilities and Walls go together like peanut butter and chocolate, and it's nice to have a slow fiddly theme in Limited once in a while.
I love Defender /Wall matters cards so much. They make limited slow down while also just being super fun to draft synergy
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/25/23 is Niveous Wisps.

The Wisps cycle is a fun little common combat trick cycle with the odd feature that only one of them - this one - is one you'd want to use on an opponent's creature. Given the themes of this set, wouldn't you usually want to turn your own creatures a certain color as part of the effect?

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 9 months ago

It's a neat cycle, probably more notable for being very cheap single target cantrips for the cards that care about that (Feather, the Redeemed, Ink-Treader Nephilim and similar), than for the color changing. I feel color changing is always very niche, but in this case it's attached to an already reasonable extra.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 9 months ago

Ink-Treader wrote:
9 months ago
It's a neat cycle, probably more notable for being very cheap single target cantrips for the cards that care about that (Feather, the Redeemed, Ink-Treader Nephilim and similar), than for the color changing.
The only reason you dropped Feather there before Ink-Treader was to disprove any bias BUT I SEE THROUGH YOU.

Also name checks out.
void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
The Wisps cycle is a fun little common combat trick cycle with the odd feature that only one of them - this one - is one you'd want to use on an opponent's creature. Given the themes of this set, wouldn't you usually want to turn your own creatures a certain color as part of the effect?
Huh, that indeed disrupts the symmetry of the cycle a bit. I understand it's because blue got the untap, but then again, they could also mirrored the green one and have the white one grant +0/+1 or +0/+2.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ink-Treader

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
9 months ago
Ink-Treader wrote:
9 months ago
It's a neat cycle, probably more notable for being very cheap single target cantrips for the cards that care about that (Feather, the Redeemed, Ink-Treader Nephilim and similar), than for the color changing.
The only reason you dropped Feather there before Ink-Treader was to disprove any bias BUT I SEE THROUGH YOU.

Also name checks out.
void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
Huh, that indeed disrupts the symmetry of the cycle a bit. I understand it's because blue got the untap, but then again, they could also mirrored the green one and have the white one grant +0/+1 or +0/+2.
You're not wrong.

But on the subject of the white one, this is the set with Q

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 9 months ago

Ink-Treader wrote:
9 months ago
But on the subject of the white one, this is the set with Q
:o :omg:
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/26/23 is Weatherlight Compleated.

I shed a tear for the faithful ship... but also I play this card on Arena in my Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim Brawl deck.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/27/23 is Chorus of Woe.

Great name unfortunately used on a below-rate card. (I feel like it could still be reprinted in Core, however...)

Venedrex

Post by Venedrex » 9 months ago

I miss Core sets. I know they might not sell as well as Modern Horizons (for obvious reasons) but I think they fulfill a useful function for reprinting cards and providing a great entry point for newer players.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 9 months ago

Venedrex wrote:
9 months ago
I miss Core sets. I know they might not sell as well as Modern Horizons (for obvious reasons) but I think they fulfill a useful function for reprinting cards and providing a great entry point for newer players.
Exactly! I love these starter sets and miss them dearly. I also missed the advanced mechanic labeling of sets so when people newer to the game would try them it was okay to be like hey its an advanced set its cool im having issues with the mechanics
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/28/23 is Marble Priest.

There are times when I look at a really old card and think "what on Earth were they even going for here?" This is one of those times.

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/28/23 is Marble Priest.

There are times when I look at a really old card and think "what on Earth were they even going for here?" This is one of those times.
Best guess? They thought hmm, marble priest, must have power over stone, like a geomancer. In fact he's an artifact so maybe he is stone himself. Ooh, walls are made of stone, he can shape stone, so they have to block him because he draws the stone towards him, they can't deal damage to them because he has total control over them.

Oh, you mean why they would make a card that mechanically is a five mana artifact creature that hoses the weakest type of creature in the game. No idea. :grin:

In fairness, I guess this was the time period where all creatures had to be incredibly overcosted for some reason.

Lemme take a stab at this guy.

Limestone Priest (haha get it)
Artifact Creature — Cleric (U)
All artifact creatures able to block Limestone Priest do so.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Limestone Priest from artifact creatures.
5/5

I still don't like it. Maybe I'll try again, but stay less faithful to the original. If this guy was called back in a Modern Horizons set, I bet they'd try to reduce his cost, probably by making his cast for or something, focus in on the only thing that you can salvage from the original design, his hosing of walls, translated to either defender or artifact creatures, and give him a cool etb, like turning something into a Treasure or something.

One more shot:

Marble Bishop
Artifact Creature — Cleric (R)
Protection from artifact creatures.
When Marble Bishop enters the battlefield or attacks, put a Marble counter on target creature an opponent controls. Creatures your opponents control with marble counters on them are artifacts in addition to their other types and lose all other abilities.
3/3
Last edited by Venedrex 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Venedrex wrote:
9 months ago

5/5

I still don't like it. Maybe I'll try again, but stay less faithful to the original. If this guy was called back in a Modern Horizons set, I bet they'd try to reduce his cost, probably by making his cast for or something, focus in on the only thing that you can salvage from the original design, his hosing of walls, translated to either defender or artifact creatures, and give him a cool etb, like turning something into a Treasure or something.

One more shot:

Marble Bishop
When Marble Bishop enters the battlefield or attacks, put a Marble counter on target creature an opponent controls. Creatures your opponents control with marble counters on them are artifacts in addition to their other types and lose all other abilities.
3/3
To first stab doesn't work as is, because protection prevents blocking. Could easily be turned into just damage prevention though.

Venedrex

Ink-Treader wrote:
9 months ago
Venedrex wrote:
9 months ago

5/5

One more shot:

Marble Bishop
3/3
To first stab doesn't work as is, because protection prevents blocking. Could easily be turned into just damage prevention though.
Haha, lol my bad, that's a good point. I'll edit it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/31/23 is Diviner's Wand.

Always thought this cycle was neat and this might be my favorite of them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”