NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Brokers Ascendancy (alt) GWU
Enchantment
You may look at the top card of your library anytime.
You may cast the top card of your library if it's the type of permanent that you control the least, or tied for least, from among creature, enchantment, and artifact.

IIW: sentience
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

This is so hard we don't even know what they do.

Maestros Ascendancy
ubr
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, create a Treasure token.
You may cast creature cards from your graveyard by spending only mana produced by Treasures.

References to wealth, Vampires and art makes me think Treasure and graveyard matters.

Riveteers Ascendancy
brg
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, if a nontoken permanent you control was put into your graveyard this turn, create a 4/4 red Dragon artifact creature token with flying.

Described as experts in both construction and demolition. Their boss is described as draconic.

IIW: Creature with mana value of one (1).
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Obscura Ascendancy
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if another creature entered the battlefield under that player's control this turn, draw a card.
"Nothing happens in this city without the Obscura knowing."

IIW: Making different color versions of Archmage's charm.
Last edited by Venedrex 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Cabaretti Ascendancy RGW
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, create 2 1/1 white soldier creature tokens. If a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn, draw a card instead.
The Cabaretti's party is always looking for more attendants, and if no one shows up, they make their own.

IIW: Colorshift a recent card you like.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Obscura Ascendancy
Enchantment (R)
When an opponent casts a creature spell with mana value 2 or greater, counter that spell unless its controller pays .
When an opponent casts a noncreature spell with mana value 2 or greater, that player loses 1 life, and you gain 1 life.
It's far more comfortable to work with the Obscura, than against them.

IIW: One-word card names

chetoos

@NinjaCaterpie Judge? It's been 24 hours with no entries.

Juancu

Maestros Ascendancy UBR
Enchantment
Counter two spells you control that target the same creature: Gain control of that creature.

Obscura Ascendancy WUB
Enchantment
0: Target creature you control phases out. Activate this ability only once each turn.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Bonkers Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment {R}
At the beginning of your end step, put two +1/+1 counters on each creature you control and two loyalty counters on each planeswalker you control.

IIW: the last thing you want to see Magic's take on
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

A challenging challenge to be sure - we only know their names and the vaguest of themes. In fact, I don't even know their themes! But, as it was once said. we do not design cards because it's easy, but because it's hard and because we think we can do a better job than Wizards HIRE FANS.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Brokers Ascendancy (alt) GWU
Enchantment
You may look at the top card of your library anytime.
You may cast the top card of your library if it's the type of permanent that you control the least, or tied for least, from among creature, enchantment, and artifact.

A fun Johnny challenge. It can provide a lot of card advantage, but compares about right with Temur Ascendancy I also like how it potentially ties back into / synergises with the "balance" theme in NEO. The way it represents balance and lawyering is quite neat and I could definitely see this replacing the existing Ascendancy.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
This is so hard we don't even know what they do.

Maestros Ascendancy
ubr
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, create a Treasure token.
You may cast creature cards from your graveyard by spending only mana produced by Treasures.

References to wealth, Vampires and art makes me think Treasure and graveyard matters.

Riveteers Ascendancy
brg
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, if a nontoken permanent you control was put into your graveyard this turn, create a 4/4 red Dragon artifact creature token with flying.

Described as experts in both construction and demolition. Their boss is described as draconic.

IIW: Creature with mana value of one (1).
Maestros' second half feels like a bit of a bait, though the continuous treasure is good value. It has fun synergies with the rest of standard though. Riveteers' seems a little bit cracked. It's a great Jund card, but feels like it's a bit on the strong side. Could definitely see either one being in the set (with what we know so far)
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Obscura Ascendancy
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if another creature entered the battlefield under that player's control this turn, draw a card.
"Nothing happens in this city without the Obscura knowing."

IIW: Making different color versions of Archmage's charm.
Hmm, the wording leaves a bit to be desired, but I see where it's coming from. Feels rather narrow, and this almost feels more like a Brokers card (especially if it applied to yourself as well). Not an amazingly fitting Ascendancy either, as they tend to be more about pushing a playstyle rather than just being a card.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Cabaretti Ascendancy RGW
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your end step, create 2 1/1 white soldier creature tokens. If a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn, draw a card instead.
The Cabaretti's party is always looking for more attendants, and if no one shows up, they make their own.

IIW: Colorshift a recent card you like.
Solid card. Both sides seem very strong and quite consistent, though the colours are less likely to make a control deck that just does nothing but churn out creatures. Two of these together is kinda cracked. Fits into the Cabarettis well - the flavour text helps a lot.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
Obscura Ascendancy
Enchantment (R)
When an opponent casts a creature spell with mana value 2 or greater, counter that spell unless its controller pays .
When an opponent casts a noncreature spell with mana value 2 or greater, that player loses 1 life, and you gain 1 life.
It's far more comfortable to work with the Obscura, than against them.

IIW: One-word card names
Slowing an entire curve seems strong at a glance, but it's probably fine (?) 2 or greater might as well be everything though, how often are people really going to be casting 1 mana spells that it makes a difference? Very strong Orzhov-and-blue vibes but I get that from Obscura too.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Maestros Ascendancy UBR
Enchantment
Counter two spells you control that target the same creature: Gain control of that creature.

Obscura Ascendancy WUB
Enchantment
0: Target creature you control phases out. Activate this ability only once each turn.
The flavour is quite fitting and the cards might be interesting, but these seem preeeeetty narrow. I think we're more likely to see Ascendancies that broadly support the archetypes and playstyles of the family theme.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Bonkers Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment {R}
At the beginning of your end step, put two +1/+1 counters on each creature you control and two loyalty counters on each planeswalker you control.

IIW: the last thing you want to see Magic's take on
Save this one for Streets of New Capenna 2: The Dark Knight Rises
A lot of good cards - great work with not a lot to go off. Or maybe I just like tricolour cards. Who's to say?

WInner: Sporegorger_Dragon
Next: Creature with mana value of one (1).

chetoos

Cabaretti's Runner r
Creature - Goblin Rogue (rare)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay gw
Haste
If this spell's additional cost was paid, it enters the battlefield with 2 additional +1/+1 counters, and gains "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 red goblin creature token."
1/1

Broker's Runner has vigilance, and gains "scry 1, gain 1" on damage to opponent.
Riveteer's runner has menace, and gains "destroy artifact or enchantment with mv less than or equal to damage they took this turn defending player controls" on damage to opponent.
Maestro's runner has flash or ward, and makes a treasure on damage.
Obscura's runner has flying, and loots on damage

Iiw: legendary creatures from announced sets

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Acolyte of Keranos
Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever you scry, if you put a card on the bottom of your library, Acolyte of Keranos deals that much damage to any target.
: Scry 1.
0/2

IIW: Acolytes to the theros gods as a cycle.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

Dulcet Songstitcher
Creature- Human Bard (R)
: Choose target enchantment a player controls and target enchantment card in that player's graveyard. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously sacrifices the enchantment and returns the enchantment card to the battlefield.
1/1

IIW: One word card names

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Facet of the Maelstrom 1
Creature — Reflection (U)
Spend only mana produced by nonbasic lands to cast Facet of the Maelstrom.
Facet of the Maelstrom enters the battlefield with a lifelink counter if W was spent to cast it, a prowess counter if U was spent to cast it, a menace counter if B was spent to cast it, a first strike counter if R was spent to cast it, and a trample counter if G was spent to cast it.
2/2

IIW: A construct replacement for a legendary creature
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Behemoth Parasite G
Creature — Insect {C}
You may pay 0 rather than pay this spell's mana cost if you've cast a creature spell with mana value 4 or greater this turn.
1/1

IIW: cards with multiple sections or parts
MEG

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Cover-Up Expert B
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Deathtouch
B, Discard a card: Target player mills two cards. Exile up to two cards from graveyards.
"This never happened."
1/1

IIW: Noncombatant creatures
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Secure Servitor C
Creature - Spirit (C)
When Secure Servitor enters the battlefield, it and up to one other target creature phase out.
"The power running rampant responds to desires, and not even might outweighs safety."
-The Hermit of Mount Zel

1/2

IIW: phasing
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Stalwart Revenant W
Creature - Spirit Knight
, Sacrifice Stalwart Revenant: Another target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
BB: Return Stalwart Revenant from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if another creature you control died this turn.
It is bound to its duty just as strongly as it is bound to an undying curse.
1/1

IIW: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)

Juancu

Visitor from Beyond U
Creature - Humanoid (C)
Whenever Visitor from Beyond phases in, draw a card.
1/1

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Vicious Mongrel
Creature — Berserker Dog (C)
When Vicious Mongrel enters the battlefield, you lose 1 life.
2/1

IIW: Phyrexia invades your favourite plane (or if it's already there, Segovia)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Let's go!

You may notice I always try to stick to the 24 hour limit, mostly cause rules and we need to keep this thing moving, but also because I live in mortal terror of one or more mods kicking down my door and leaping into my bed, loudly berating me to judge.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Cabaretti's Runner r
Creature - Goblin Rogue (rare)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay gw
Haste
If this spell's additional cost was paid, it enters the battlefield with 2 additional +1/+1 counters, and gains "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 red goblin creature token."
1/1

Broker's Runner has vigilance, and gains "scry 1, gain 1" on damage to opponent.
Riveteer's runner has menace, and gains "destroy artifact or enchantment with mv less than or equal to damage they took this turn defending player controls" on damage to opponent.
Maestro's runner has flash or ward, and makes a treasure on damage.
Obscura's runner has flying, and loots on damage

Iiw: legendary creatures from announced sets
I like these! Too bad you didn't post the others, I would've liked to see their types; I'm assuming Obscura's an Aven.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Acolyte of Keranos
Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever you scry, if you put a card on the bottom of your library, Acolyte of Keranos deals that much damage to any target.
: Scry 1.
0/2

IIW: Acolytes to the theros gods as a cycle.
Wait, do you mean for each card you put on the bottom? So scry 3 can deal up to 3 damage?

I can't help but feel that's a bit too much for hybrid; this is great as a blue-red gold card, but as hybrid? I feel it pushes it too far.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
Dulcet Songstitcher
Creature- Human Bard (R)
: Choose target enchantment a player controls and target enchantment card in that player's graveyard. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously sacrifices the enchantment and returns the enchantment card to the battlefield.
1/1

IIW: One word card names
Ah, Enchantment Welder, how are you? Let's swap that Escape Velocity for Omniscience, shall we?
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Facet of the Maelstrom 1
Facet of the Maelstrom enters the battlefield with a lifelink counter if W was spent to cast it, a prowess counter if U was spent to cast it, a menace counter if B was spent to cast it, a first strike counter if R was spent to cast it, and a trample counter if G was spent to cast it.
2/2

Interesting! At 2/2 this would be be the best one drop ever for each color. Is that nonbasic land rider enough to balance it?
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Behemoth Parasite G
Creature — Insect {C}
You may pay 0 rather than pay this spell's mana cost if you've cast a creature spell with mana value 4 or greater this turn.
1/1

IIW: cards with multiple sections or parts
I always appreciate parasites, but I'm a little concerned about how this can fit into decks that don't even play . Still, there's Memnite, so probably fine?
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Cover-Up Expert B
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Deathtouch
B, Discard a card: Target player mills two cards. Exile up to two cards from graveyards.
"This never happened."
1/1

IIW: Noncombatant creatures
Neat! Does a lot of interesting things, many decks could use effects like these. Just a very good critter.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Secure Servitor C
Creature - Spirit (C)
When Secure Servitor enters the battlefield, it and up to one other target creature phase out.
"The power running rampant responds to desires, and not even might outweighs safety."
-The Hermit of Mount Zel

1/2

IIW: phasing
Hm, without flash, this can't do much in the way of using phasing defensively. I'm not sure I see the uses. It's a common though, so can't expect much.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Stalwart Revenant W
Creature - Spirit Knight
, Sacrifice Stalwart Revenant: Another target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
BB: Return Stalwart Revenant from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if another creature you control died this turn.
It is bound to its duty just as strongly as it is bound to an undying curse.
1/1

IIW: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)
This might be deceptively strong? I see Aristocrat fodder, where a pair of these keep swapping in and out of the graveyard.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Visitor from Beyond U
Creature - Humanoid (C)
Whenever Visitor from Beyond phases in, draw a card.
1/1

Ah, is this supposed to combo with Ink-Treader's submission above?
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Vicious Mongrel
Creature — Berserker Dog (C)
When Vicious Mongrel enters the battlefield, you lose 1 life.
2/1

IIW: Phyrexia invades your favourite plane (or if it's already there, Segovia)
Shouldn't it be Dog Berserker. Just a minor nitpick, but I'd make it deal 1 damage instead.

So here's our winners:

HM: void_nothing

Winner: cheetos

NEXT: legendary creatures from announced sets
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos

2 years ago
Too bad you didn't post the others, I would've liked to see their types; I'm assuming Obscura's an Aven.
Sure, let's go through with this, keeping in mind that they are all rogues: Maestro is a vedalken, obscura is a bird (Aven), as you said, broker's is a cat (Leonin), and Riveteers is a Human
Remember, upcoming announced sets are Streets of New Capenna, Dominaria United, Brother's War, Unfinity, Commander Legends: Baldur's Gate, and LOTR.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

2 years ago
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Facet of the Maelstrom 1
2/2

Interesting! At 2/2 this would be be the best one drop ever for each color. Is that nonbasic land rider enough to balance it?
I don't know for sure, but I do think it makes it much more difficult to cast in limited, which is where I think this will see the most play (and where the average nonbasic land that isn't rare enters the battlefield tapped, making this a virtual 2-drop). Of the 66 nonbasic lands currently in Standard at common or uncommon (which includes MDFCs), 4 can't make colored mana, 59 always enter the battlefield tapped, and the last three have very specific riders (Mech Hangar, Secluded Courtyard, and Temple of the Dragon Queen).

This doesn't exactly hold up if you expand to a Legacy-level card pool, but I think this is good but not oppressive in Constructed. It would be very good in a Standard format where you have access to nonbasic lands that enter untapped on t1, but I don't know if it gets there in other formats beyond being a roleplayer, since it only has menace for evasion. I could see the argument for making this rare, but I didn't like the idea of a rare card with the nonbasic land rider.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones

Finny the Fink
Legendary Creature- Rat Rogue (R)
Skulk
When Finny the Fink enters the battlefield, or when it dies under the control of a player who doesn't own it, its owner draws 2 cards, then discards 2 cards.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, if that player controls at least double the number of creatures you control, that player gains control of Finny the Fink.
2/2

Tunny Two-Toes
Legendary Creature- Bird Assassin (R)
Flying, Deathtouch
When Tunny Two-Toes enters the battlefield, you may put a mark counter on target creature.
When a creature an opponent controls with a mark counter on it becomes tapped, destroy that creature and shuffle Tunny Two-Toes into its owner's library.
3/3
Unnecessary Bonus
Show
Hide
Proof of concept for the limited-oriented mini-theme.

No Witnesses
Sorcery (C)
No Witnesses costs less to cast if it targets a creature with a mark counter on it.
Destroy target creature. Its controller puts a mark counter on a creature they control.
Nanette, Star Attraction
Legendary Creature- Cat Bard (R)
Creatures and legendary lands you control have ward .
When Nanette, Star Attraction, or a legendary land you control becomes the target of a spell or ability, that spell or ability's controller skips their next untap step.
Xander may own the club, but she owns the audience.
0/2

IIW: A card for the new set scheduled for October of 1998. It's called Urza's Saga, and follows the Planeswalker through Shiv, Serra's Realm, Argoth, Tolaria, and Phyrexia. It features such innovative mechanics as "free spells", Cycling, Echo, and enchantments that turn into creatures. It introduces powerful legendary lands, and has a theme of artifacts and enchantments.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

The Maestrese Falcon BR
Legendary Creature - Bird Advisor (R)
The Maestrese Falcon can't block.
At the beginning of your end step, create a Treasure artifact token. You lose 1 life.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, its controller creates a token that's a copy of The Maestrese Falcon, except it's not legendary.
2/3

IIW: Treasures

Megiddo
MEG

Gio, Broker Agent 1GWWU
Legendary Creature — Human Advisor {M}
When Gio, Broker Agent enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent may pay 3. Each player who does is insured until your next turn.
Whenever a nontoken creature an opponent controls dies, if its controller was insured, that player creates a Treasure token. Otherwise, you gain 1 life and draw a card.
2/5

IIW: Weather
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”