NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

What if Ugin worked with Nicol instead of against him?

Nicol and Ugin, Twin Tyrants

Legendary Planeswalker - Bolas Ugin {M}
As Nicol and Ugin enter the battlefield, you get an emblem with "You may play cards exiled with Nicol and Ugin, Twin Tyrants, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast those spells."
[+3]: Each opponent reveals their hand. From each hand you choose a card and its owner exiles it.
[-6]: Exile target permanent and up to one target card in a graveyard.
[-16]: Each opponent exiles seven cards from their hand and seven permanents they control. You choose seven face up permanent cards in exile and put them onto the battlefield under your control. Those permanents are 4/4 red Dragon creatures with flying in addition to their other colors and types.
{8}

IIW: Carnivorous plants
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

What if Clan-Tarkir and Dragon-Tarkir both remained as parallel universes?

Abzan Sentinel 2W
Parallel Creature - Human Warrior (C)
(Before combat damage would be done, if you control parallel and nonparallel creatures in combat, phase out one of the two sets until next turn.)
When Abzan Sentinel phases in, gain 1 life.
3/3

IIW: not this again

Sporegorger_Dragon

You Are Already Dead.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Nani?!

Instant
Die. (You lose the game.)
I feel complete.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

2 years ago
You Are Already Dead.
3 years ago
Nani?!

Instant
Die. (You lose the game.)
I feel complete.
One with Death

Nailed it.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

@NinjaCaterpie judge!

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Time. Space. Reality. It's more than a linear path. It's a prism of blah blah blah, infinite realities, blah blah blah... what if?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
"What If...Gideon couldn't reach Liliana in time, and the guilt of her death consumed him?"

Gideon Darkheart 2WB
Legendary Planeswalker — Gideon (M)
[+1]: Until end of turn, Gideon Darkheart becomes a 4/4 Human Warrior creature with haste and indestructible. You may attach an Equipment you control to him.
[-2]: Exile target unmodified creature. If its converted mana cost was 2 or less, put two loyalty counters on Gideon Darkheart.
[-7]: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, each player sacrifices a creature. Then, if there are thirty or more creature cards total in all graveyards, you win the game."

IIW: a 4cmc uncommon blue creature
Unmodified feels weird to see on a what should be a "generic" planeswalker. Seems strong - protects himself and swings pretty well. Tugs at the heartstrings, though I would've liked to see something self-destructive to fit the flavour.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
"What If... The Ice Age never happened on Dominaria?"

Planar Warming (Rare)
3RRR
Sorcery
Destroy all non-Waste lands.
Emm sure. Seems appropriately costed as an "asymmetric" board wipe, but it's a weird asymmetry.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
"What If... Liliana planeswalked to Ixalan instead of Jace?"

The Flying Ravnican 3UB
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle (Rare)
As long as the Flying Ravnican is a creature, it is a zombie
Whenever The Flying Ravnican attacks, return target creature card with power less than or equal to the number of zombies you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature becomes a black zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
Crew 4
The crew of the Flying Ravnican are used to reinforce it when they crumble once more.
4/7

Captain "Deadeye" Vess 1BB
Legendary Planeswalker - Liliana
+1 - Target creature gets -1/-2 until your next turn.
+1 - Each player discards a card. If you discarded a creature card this way, each opponent loses 2 life.
-6 - You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, each opponent sacrifices a creature" and "Whenever a creature dies, each opponent loses 1 life."

IIW: Wild Speculation about Streets of New Capenna.
Zombie boat! Zombie boat! Fun card, though the crew cost seems high to the point of being win-more. Vess herself seems very strong. 3 CMC walkers are scary and this one kills creatures as + ability? hmm...
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
What if.... The Brothers' War never happened

Urza and Mishra 5RU
Legendary Creature- Human Artificer (M)
When an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, target artifact or Artificer gains ward x until end of turn, where X is the number of artifacts you control.
2: Put an artifact card from your hand onto the battlefield. If its mana cost was ten or more, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step. If its mana value was 2 or less, create a 0/0 colorless Construct artifact creature token with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control."
5/8
What if there were more cards?
Show
Hide
Modern Horizons power level, eh?

What if... Nahiri and Sorin stopped beating around the bush?

Nahiri's Final Vengeance 2wW
Enchantment (U)
Flash
Exile target creature or planeswalker. Its controller can't cast spells with the same name as the exiled card.
Nahiri shattered Sorin into dust. In a few short centuries, the name of Markov would be all but forgotten.

What if... Hanna stuck around as a Phyrexian?

Hanna, Artisan of Yawgmoth 2B
Legendary Creature- Phyrexian Artificer (U)
1B, t, Pay 1 life, sacrifice a creature: Return target artifact or creature card from your graveyard to your hand that wasn't put there this turn.
"Anything... everything for the Father of Machines."
1/3

What if... Feldon and his wife's roles were reversed?

Forbidden Conjuring 3B
Instant (U)
Create a token that's a copy of target creature card in your graveyard, except it's a white Spirit creature token with flying and haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next upkeep.
Flashback 2R
"He will come back to me."

What if... the two timelines of Tarkir merged?

Khanate of Surrak
Land- Island Mountain Forest (R)
(: Add ,, or .)
Surrak's Khannate enters the battlefield tapped.
Cycling 3
Surrak's Khanate is by far the largest: both a strength and a weakness against the vastly wealthier Khanate of Silumgar to the south.

(Other Khanates: Khanate of Silumgar, Khanate of Abzan (under Dramoka) , Khanate of Jeskai (under planeswalker Narset), and Khanate of the Fallen Storm (barbarian hordes under no single Khan).

What if... Tezzeret were the God-Pharaoh?

Obelisk of the God-Pharaoh 6
Legendary Artifact (U)
Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1.
Your opponents can't gain life or search libraries.
Ravnicans stood agape as God-Pharaoh Tezzeret warped the cityscape around him, drunk with cosmic power from consuming the spark of Nicol Bolas.

What if... the Eldrazi won?

Zendikar's Demise
Sorcery (M)
Exile all permanents, all cards from graveyards, and all card from players' hands.
And there was nothing.
IIW: Presparked or desparked versions of planeswalkers.
Wowee, that sure is something. I mean, as a 7-mana creature, it's almost certainly safe, but it's still very exciting to read. Probably going to cause issues in Commander, but who cares about that format xd. Some of the abilities feel a bit wordy, though - like does 10 mana matter? I guess it stops you dropping a Blightsteel Colossus but there are still plenty of cracked artifacts you can cheat out.

My secret favourite card of the lot is the reverse Feldon. Captures the same spirit and echoes the mechanics but does it in a different way.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
What if Melira and Venser's plan to cure Karn's corruption failed and instead he became the first Phyrexian walker?

Karn, the Compleat 7
Legendary Planeswalker — Karn
For each generic mana in this spell's cost, you may pay 2 life rather than pay that mana. It enters the battlefield with 1 less loyalty counter for each 2 life paid this way.
+2: Up to one target artifact you control becomes a 4/4 artifact creature until end of turn.
-3: Gain control of target creature or planeswalker. It becomes an artifact in addition to its other types.
-9: Exile all nonartifact permanents. Return all artifacts from all graveyards to the battlefield under your control.
starting: 5

IIW: Power 10 or greater
Compleation is a scary mechanic and I don't know if I like it... Really hard to gauge if this is fair or busted, but the second ability is particularly frightening. Is 5 mana + 4 life for a mind control in colorless too much?
2 years ago
What if Ugin worked with Nicol instead of against him?

Nicol and Ugin, Twin Tyrants

Legendary Planeswalker - Bolas Ugin {M}
As Nicol and Ugin enter the battlefield, you get an emblem with "You may play cards exiled with Nicol and Ugin, Twin Tyrants, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast those spells."
[+3]: Each opponent reveals their hand. From each hand you choose a card and its owner exiles it.
[-6]: Exile target permanent and up to one target card in a graveyard.
[-16]: Each opponent exiles seven cards from their hand and seven permanents they control. You choose seven face up permanent cards in exile and put them onto the battlefield under your control. Those permanents are 4/4 red Dragon creatures with flying in addition to their other colors and types.
{8}

Jesus, -16... that's certainly something. Card's cool, and tying Ugin's exile shenanigans to Bolas' love of destroying stuff is great - or it would be if it didn't just feel like the back side of Valki, God of Lies // Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor lol.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
What if Clan-Tarkir and Dragon-Tarkir both remained as parallel universes?

Abzan Sentinel 2W
Parallel Creature - Human Warrior (C)
(Before combat damage would be done, if you control parallel and nonparallel creatures in combat, phase out one of the two sets until next turn.)
When Abzan Sentinel phases in, gain 1 life.
3/3

BEFORE COMBAT DAMAGE? I really do not want to think about this one lmao.
Winner is Cythare for Gideon
Next: a 4cmc uncommon blue creature

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Chomperdown Drake 3U
Creature - Drake (U)
Flying
Channel - UU, Discard Chomperdown Drake: Counter target activated ability if a single card was discarded to pay its cost.
3/2

chetoos

Thran Library Assistant 3U
Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
Flying
When Thran Library Assitant leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
Unearth 2U
My discovery in the city has led me to incredible knowledge, Thran society was a wondrous place. I'm interested in this Yawgmoth person, as well. - Mishra's journal
2/4

IIW: Wild speculation about upcoming standard sets.
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Flitting Suppository
2uu
Artifact Creature - Faerie (U)
Flying
Equipped creature gets +2/-1 and has flying.
Reconfigure {4} ({4}: Attach to target creature you control; or unattach from a creature. Reconfigure only as a sorcery. While attached, this isn't a creature.)
2/2
"HNNRRGGG!! There must be an easier way!" -Kaito Shizuki

Amphin Buccaneer
3u
Creature - Salamander Pirate (U)
2u: Adapt 1.
Boast -2u: Draw a card.
2/3

Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

(They're rich people from Innistrad. They aren't legendary because it's a BIG family)

Auntie Kerral 3U
Creature- Human (U)
Exploit, Flash
When a creature is exploited, target player mills 5. Then you may exile target card from a graveyard.
"Oh dear, I think Auntie answered the door again. How does she always get out?"
3/3

Uncle Kerral 2UU
Creature- Human (U)
When Uncle Kerral enters the battlefield, put a delusion counter on target creature. That creature is a Nightmare and loses other types for as long as it has a delusion counter on it.
Nightmares don't untap during their controllers' untap steps. During a player's upkeep, that player may pay 6 to untap a Nightmare they control.
"You can't hurt me anymore, and you can't fool me with that human disguise. I know what you are, and you'll never leave this house."
1/4

IIW: A land cycle.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Graveyard Shrike 2UU
Creature — Spirit Bird (C)
Flying
Whenever Graveyard Shrike deals combat damage to a player, they mill twice that many cards.
2/2

Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Roil Skywhale2UU
Creature - Elemental Whale (U)
Flash, Flying
Multikicker U
When Roil Skywhale enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand. If Roil Skywhale was kicked, return target attacking creature to its owner's hand for each time it was kicked.
2/2

IIW: Uncommon Red Sorcery with Mana value 3

Bonus because I'm bored in the Physiological bases for human behavior in counseling tonight:

Orb Sentry 3U
Flash
When Orb Sentry enters the battlefield, counter target triggered agility.
Whenever you cast a spell, you may return Orb Sentry to hand.
1/2
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Djinn of Twisted Dreams UUUU
Creature - Djinn {U}
Flying
"Be careful who you wish from."
5/6

IIW: A card to support two (or more) 2-color archetypes
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Looks like this slowed down, so let's move this along.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Chomperdown Drake 3U
Creature - Drake (U)
Flying
Channel - UU, Discard Chomperdown Drake: Counter target activated ability if a single card was discarded to pay its cost.
3/2

This is costed appropriately, but I really wish that the channel ability was slightly less narrow. As-is, it solves an in-set problem that may or may not actually be a problem, and it interacts with cycling, channel, bloodrush, and activated abilities of an odd variety of other Magic cards. This card actually counters a lot more activated abilities than I expected, but it counters just an odd enough assortment of them that I sorta wish it could just counter any activated ability that wasn't a mana ability. Related note: This needs to specify that it can't counter mana abilities, because it can't (and three such cards exist).
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Thran Library Assistant 3U
Flying
When Thran Library Assitant leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
Unearth 2U
My discovery in the city has led me to incredible knowledge, Thran society was a wondrous place. I'm interested in this Yawgmoth person, as well. - Mishra's journal
2/4

IIW: Wild speculation about upcoming standard sets.
This is cool. I like that it's an LTB trigger that isn't zone-dependent, so you're guaranteed to draw a card no matter where it goes, and it synergizes with blink effects. Unearth is a neat mechanic to pair with it, although its stat line isn't the most exciting to unearth, and you'll draw a card at a weird time. That said, this seems fun, and feels like it could theoretically exist in a Dominaria set focused on excavating the past.
2 years ago
Flitting Suppository
2uu
Artifact Creature - Faerie (U)
Flying
Equipped creature gets +2/-1 and has flying.
Reconfigure {4} ({4}: Attach to target creature you control; or unattach from a creature. Reconfigure only as a sorcery. While attached, this isn't a creature.)
2/2
"HNNRRGGG!! There must be an easier way!" -Kaito Shizuki

Amphin Buccaneer
3u
Creature - Salamander Pirate (U)
2u: Adapt 1.
Boast -2u: Draw a card.
2/3

Flitting Suppository made me chuckle, but the stat boost not matching its stats at all is concerning to me - other than the mythic in the set, these things either grant exactly the base stats or no stats at all, and fiddling with that recipe at uncommon is probably more mental space than it's worth.

Amphin Buccaneer is a nice, clean uncommon, and I imagine that amphibious pirates would feel very comfortable boasting when facing off against non-amphibious pirates.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
(They're rich people from Innistrad. They aren't legendary because it's a BIG family)

Auntie Kerral 3U
Creature- Human (U)
Exploit, Flash
When a creature is exploited, target player mills 5. Then you may exile target card from a graveyard.
"Oh dear, I think Auntie answered the door again. How does she always get out?"
3/3

Uncle Kerral 2UU
Creature- Human (U)
When Uncle Kerral enters the battlefield, put a delusion counter on target creature. That creature is a Nightmare and loses other types for as long as it has a delusion counter on it.
Nightmares don't untap during their controllers' untap steps. During a player's upkeep, that player may pay 6 to untap a Nightmare they control.
"You can't hurt me anymore, and you can't fool me with that human disguise. I know what you are, and you'll never leave this house."
1/4

IIW: A land cycle.
First off, I don't like the explanation for why they aren't legendary. It doesn't jive with the feel of the rest of the card, including the flavor text. That said, I'll evaluate them as-designed. The proper wording for Auntie Kerral's ability is probably closer to Skull Skaab's wording. This also feels pretty strong for an uncommon, but milling needs a lot of help to have legs in Limited.

Uncle Kerral is also probably quite strong, but it's basically Singing Bell Strike on a body, which I think is fine. I wish that it tapped the creature up front and that it had the wording "Nightmares don't untap during their controllers' untap steps and have "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 6. If you do, untap this creature."
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Graveyard Shrike 2UU
Creature — Spirit Bird (C)
Flying
Whenever Graveyard Shrike deals combat damage to a player, they mill twice that many cards.
2/2

Sadly, this is a common, and is therefore disqualified. I do like it as a 4-mana common creature, though.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Roil Skywhale2UU
Creature - Elemental Whale (U)
Flash, Flying
Multikicker U
When Roil Skywhale enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand. If Roil Skywhale was kicked, return target attacking creature to its owner's hand for each time it was kicked.
2/2

IIW: Uncommon Red Sorcery with Mana value 3

Bonus because I'm bored in the Physiological bases for human behavior in counseling tonight:

Orb Sentry 3U
Flash
When Orb Sentry enters the battlefield, counter target triggered agility.
Whenever you cast a spell, you may return Orb Sentry to hand.
1/2
I am assuming that Skywhale should return X target attacking creatures where X is the number of times it was kicked. As worded, I think this just repeatedly tries to return the same creature to its owner's hand (which is funny, but I assume not intended). As-intended, I think that the multikicker is probably undercosted and should be 1U, since this is essentially Sea God's Revenge with flash stapled to a Wind Drake. You can even target itself with its etb trigger so that you can effectively lock your opponent out of their combat step with enough blue mana. I'd up the multikicker and make the primary etb not be able to target creatures you control (or at the very least not be able to self-target). I like the concept for sure, but it needs some adjusting.

Orb Sentry seems narrow but neat. I'm not sure where it would see play, but I like the space it's playing in. A clean trigger on a flash creature that feels properly costed for its text box.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Djinn of Twisted Dreams UUUU
Creature - Djinn {U}
Flying
"Be careful who you wish from."
5/6

IIW: A card to support two (or more) 2-color archetypes
Ah, the common Tempest Djinn, a great throwback to djinn, and solid flavor text to boot. Definitely a very clean uncommon, and feels great for a Limited set where Theros is currently legal in Standard.

HM: Sporegorger Dragon, Ulka
Winner: Megiddo
Next: A card to support two (or more) 2-color archetypes
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos

My idea is that it's an uncommon in The Brother's War, the upcoming standard set, but I'm glad that you liked it.

Megiddo
MEG

despite my usual predilections, I'll accept cards for any format you like. But the idea is to make, for example, a red card that both BR sacrifice and RU spells would want.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Darnit i misread the prompt. and here i was thinking "maybe that's too complex for a common, maybe it should be uncommon, but that wouldn't fit the prompt [that i misread]". Anyway!!

Ironbark Armorer 2G
Creature — Elf Artificer (U)
Flash
When Ironbark Armorer enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be put on a creature you control and Ironbark Armorer entered the battlefield this turn, put put that many plus one +1/+1 counters on it instead.
1/1

This one's for the Golgari/Simic overlap in DGM, or Simic/Gruul in RNA.

Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos

For the benefit of two standard decks: BR vampires and BW sacrifice.
Bloodhungry Guest 2B
Creature - Vampire Noble
When this creature enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature.
Whenever you sacrifice another creature or a blood token, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
2/2

IIW: Speculate wildly about Streets of new Capenna

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

EDIT: Since everyone else has announced, the two archetypes supported are RW "exalted" and BR madness.

Rubblebelt Vampire RR
Creature — Vampire Shaman (U)
Whenever Rubblebelt Vampire or another creature you control attacks alone, you may discard a card. If you do, it can't be blocked by more than one creature this turn.
Whenever you cast a spell from exile, put a +1/+1 counter on Rubblebelt Vampire.
2/2

IIW: Triple-pip monocolored cards on Ravnica
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones

GW tokens and GU flash matters.

Sprout Incursion 1G
Enchantment (U)
Flash
When you would create one or more tokens during an opponent's turn, create an additional 1/1 green saproling creature token. This ability triggers only once each turn.
When Sprout Incursion enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green saproling creature token.

IIW: Replace any card from an existing set with a card in the same slot. (Example, replacing Thrasios, Triton Hero with a different UG partner, or replacing Draugr Recruiter with a different common black boast creature for 4.)

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

WU flying, RW artifacts, and WB aristocrats

Diamond-Pinion Aesthir 3W
Creature - Bird (C)
Flying
When Diamond-Pinion Aesthir dies, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying and a Treasure token.
2/2

IIW: literally more of this challenge
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

i expect to see more entries from you, then.
MEG

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

UR Elemental tribal / RG big power matters / RW defenders

Obsidian Grotesque 3R
Creature - Elemental Gargoyle {U}
Defender
2R: Elementals and creatures with defender you control get +1/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn.
6/2

IIW - Big, non-Dragon, red creatures

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Oof, sounds like the pressure's on.

WU Auras, UB self-mill, and GU +1/+1 counters

Eyes of the Moroii 3U
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
When Eyes of the Moroii enters the battlefield, target player mills two cards.
Whenever one or more cards are put into your graveyard from your library, put that many +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

IIW: Chess theme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”