NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Sarpadian Army Knife W
Sorcery
Create a Food Blood Clue Treasure token.
Flashback U

IIW: boardgame inspired

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Realmshaper
Creature - Eldrazi Horror (R)
, Sacrifice a face-up creature: Manifest the top card of your library. (To manifest a card, put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up at any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
3/3

IIW: Signpost uncommon for a draft archetype in a future set.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
@Megiddo does this custom cube challenge have some background or context we should know about?
yes

This is a Real and Serious challenge. The winner's card, and possibly HMs, will be included in an ongoing project (with credit to you). Stay tuned for more info about the *previous* project (in, like, a couple of weeks).

Your card will be drafted and played with! So don't submit anything that's extremely unfun or annoying.

Parameters: Approx. legacy power level, so no Power, but otherwise go nuts. There is a Halloween Spooky theme, so anything with that flavor is going to get a boost. If you find and include art... you'll save me the trouble later :)
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

oh, some additional info: The set your card is included in will be drafted on Planesculptors and played on Cockatrice. If you're familiar with the limitations of those programs, feel free to design digital-only mechanics that stretch the bounds of black border!
MEG

Juancu

Is there a limit for submissions? This being so cool, there is extra incentive to over-submit, so if there's none, I'll just edit them here in spoilers, and feel free to skip all or any within.

Staggering Blast
Show
Hide
Staggering Blast R
Instant
Staggering Blast deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker. Then that permanent's controller may choose a counter or a permanent attached to it. Remove or unattach the rest.
Fix the Facts
Show
Hide
Fix the Facts.jpg
Subdue the Lineage
Show
Hide
Subdue the Lineage 2W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature and its lineage can't attack or block and their activated abilities can't be activated.
(if a permanent is a token, or has an ability that can produce a token, it belongs to the lineage of that token's name.)
Overflame Adjudicator
Show
Hide
Overflame Adjudicator 4RW
Creature - Archon
Flying
When Overflame Adjudicator dies, it deals 12 damage to target player. That player draws a card. Then if their life total is negative, it becomes positive.
6/4
Glacial Warden
Show
Hide
Glacial Warden U
Creature - Elemental Guardian
Whenever a creature fails to untap during its controller untap step, you may return that creature to its owner's hand.
1U, T: Tap target creature that entered the battlefield this turn.
0/3
Inveigle
Show
Hide
Inveigle 3UU
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature or planeswalker.
Payback 1WU (you may cast this for its payback cost, and as if it had flash, if it targets a permanent that dealt damage to you this turn.)
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Bear of Bad News 3GW
Creature — Bear Warlock (R)
Flash
Whenever Bear of Bad News enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, conjure a random Curse onto the battlefield attached to target opponent.
3/3

IIW: A quiet evening in front of the fire

EDIT: Here is a render!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Last edited by Cythare 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Inner Eye
Creature - Eye
(Spells without mana costs can't be played.)
Mutate 2U
Inner Eye can only mutate under creatures you control.
Whenever Inner Eye attacks or you cast a noncreature spell, scry 2 and then draw a card.
0/0

Echos of Tourach
Target player discards two cards at random.
Flashback BB

IIW: "Return card name to hand"
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Jack the Splitter 3GG
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (R)
Cleave 3G
When Jack the Splitter enters the battlefield, create [a 3/3 green Elemental creature token with "When this creature dies, create] two Food tokens["].
"Harvest time."
2/2

art: probably like https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PeaX98 or something

IIW: Terrible usages of Cleave

Megiddo
MEG

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Is there a limit for submissions? This being so cool, there is extra incentive to over-submit, so if there's none, I'll just edit them here in spoilers, and feel free to skip all or any within.
Fix the Facts
Show
Hide
Fix the Facts.jpg
feel free, though too many submissions risks my eyes glazing over.

Two, please include a text transcription of your entries when you post a picture. It makes it easier for me later.
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

I have no idea what archetypes you're pushing, but equipment + artifact is always a good theme:

Lollypop Faerie
1wu
Creature - Faerie Wizard (C)
Flying
When Lollypop Faerie enters the battlefield or dies, create Lollypop, a colorless Equipment Food artifact token with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1," "{2}, {T}, Sacrifice Lollypop: You gain 3 life," and equip {2}.
2/1

IIW: Pufferfish
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Jason, eternal reveanant 1BB
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/frida ... 0617194843
Legendary Creature - Zombie Horror (r)
When Jason enters the battlefield, if he was cast, conjure a trusty Machete card to your hand.
When Jason dies or is exiled, if an equipment named trusty machete was attached to him, return him to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep. He gains haste.
2/3

IIW: Ravnica: Harvest Festival
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

you know, I completely missed the anniversary this year.

.... or did I?
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Dead Muster 4BB
Enchantment (R)
When Dead Muster enters the battlefield, you may exile a creature card from your hand. If you do, create a 3/3 black Wraith Knight creature token with menace.
If you would create one or more tokens, instead, for each of those tokens, you may return a permanent card that shares a card type with it from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. If you don't, create the tokens.
Some resurrections are also promotions.

IIW: __ from __
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Something something uncommon signpost for tokens etc:

Dangling Pitcher-Plant
{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Plant (U)
Reach
When Dangling Pitcher-Plant enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
When Dangling Pitcher-Plant dies, create a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
1/1

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Meat Grinder 2
Artifact (R)
T, Sacrifice a creature: Create a Food token. If a Human was sacrificed this way, you may pay 2. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

IIW: The power of friendship is waning
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Preacher for Next Generation W
Creature - Human Cleric
Flash
Whenever a Human creature you control dies, you may reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Human creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Death is inevitable but if you think about who comes next, you will never die in vain.
1/1

IIW: IIW: "Return card name to hand"

Megiddo
MEG

judging will commence in... about an hourish.
MEG

Ulka

Manhunt for the Kessig Killer W
Enchantment
When Thorough Investigations enters the battlefield, Investigate.
Morbid - At the end of each turn, if a creature died this turn, Investigate.
Sacrifice three clues and Manhunt for the Kessig Killer: Exile target creature.

IIW: Meg as a Silverbordered Legendary Creature

wonderful
Pronoun: she / her

Post by wonderful » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
iiw: a Feast!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Armament Switcher WW
Creature - Dog Rogue (U)
First strike
Armament Switcher enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Armament Switcher: Attach target Aura or Equipment to Armament Switcher.
1/1

iiw: please do not
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

Judging will look and feel a little different from usual, as I am evaluating whether your card fits into a very specific format... that you may or may not be super familiar with. That said, I'll try to judge your cards on the merits as well.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Sarpadian Army Knife W
Sorcery
Create a Food Blood Clue Treasure token.
Flashback U

IIW: boardgame inspired
This is surprisingly useful given the versatility of the token (assuming it's a single token with each activated ability of the names tokens). In the previous custom cube, we had a token theme that this would have fit right into. For this one, the flashback means it would likely find a home. Efficiency is the name of the game in environments with this power level, and I think this helps bridge from early game to midgame in a deck with easy access to both colors. It fixes, draws cards, smooths hands... Anything you need.
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Realmshaper
Creature - Eldrazi Horror (R)
, Sacrifice a face-up creature: Manifest the top card of your library. (To manifest a card, put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up at any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
3/3

IIW: Signpost uncommon for a draft archetype in a future set.
Hey, this looks familiar.
My main issue with this card is the in the cost. This is a very efficient card, but in the target environment (which, as noted, will likely prioritize efficiency) this actually may lose out. Mind the available mana. Nobody wants to play a Nessian Courser.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Staggering Blast
Show
Hide
Staggering Blast R
Instant
Staggering Blast deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker. Then that permanent's controller may choose a counter or a permanent attached to it. Remove or unattach the rest.
Fix the Facts
Show
Hide
Fix the Facts.jpg
Subdue the Lineage
Show
Hide
Subdue the Lineage 2W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature and its lineage can't attack or block and their activated abilities can't be activated.
(if a permanent is a token, or has an ability that can produce a token, it belongs to the lineage of that token's name.)
Overflame Adjudicator
Show
Hide
Overflame Adjudicator 4RW
Creature - Archon
Flying
When Overflame Adjudicator dies, it deals 12 damage to target player, and that player draws a card. Then if their life total is negative, it becomes positive.
6/4
One at a time...
Staggering Blast: Shock variants are always welcome. This one having a second mode of taking all but one counter off of a Planeswalker is quite nice. Plus it has great utility against cards like Knight of the Reliquary or Tireless Tracker that grow. I really like this one; it punches well above its weight.
Fix the Facts: So if I pay UB, I get 3 cards and lose 2 life? That's an amazing deal, and the rest of the words on the card are mostly irrelevant to me. I'm actually not sure how this card is supposed to work. Can the opponent see all of the cards even if I can't see them? If they can't, this is certainly too strong.
Subdue the Lineage: This is Arrest with additional marginal utility, and Arrest isn't good enough. I don't think the marginal utility pushes this over the edge for me.
Overflame Adjudicator: This is great. I appreciate simple but exciting lines of rules text, and this qualifies. This card has tons of applications. Take your opponent from 20 to 8? Sure. Kill them at 12? No problem. Gain me ten life when I'm near death? EZ. Power level TBD, and I think I'd probably shoot for putting 13 on it instead of 12 for aesthetic reasons, but this card excites. ALL of that positivity aside, I'm not sure if this has a place in the cube. But I'd like to put it in and find out.
Glacial Warden: This feels a bit too clever to me, and requires a lot of extra help to do anything. There actually are already cards that would work with this in the current cube, but I think it's a bit too ineffective on its own for me.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Bear of Bad News 3GW
Creature — Bear Warlock (R)
Flash
Whenever Bear of Bad News enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, conjure a random Curse onto the battlefield attached to target opponent.
3/3

IIW: A quiet evening in front of the fire

EDIT: Here is a render!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Our first digital-only card. This is the kind of random I like, where I know I'm getting something good. There's a lot of powerful Curses available and other than some of the weirdo blue ones I'd be happy with almost any result I get. I think the fun/power ratio is in a good place here. Unless you hit Overwhelming Splendor against me. Then you can shove this in the bin and never take it out.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Inner Eye
Creature - Eye
Mutate 2U
Inner Eye can only mutate under creatures you control.
Whenever Inner Eye attacks or you cast a noncreature spell, scry 2 and then draw a card.
0/0

Echos of Tourach
Target player discards two cards at random.
Flashback BB

IIW: "Return card name to hand"
Inner Eye: There's some Eyes in this current cube actually, lol. I like this, though scry 2 is quite strong. I might tone that down. Yes, yes, it's an aura, but if you ever get a window it's very easy to draw multiple cards off of this right away. Enticing at least.
Echoes of Tourach: Speaking of enticing... Though Hymn when you can't cast it on turn 2 to mess up your opponent's hand loses a lot of power.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Jack the Splitter 3GG
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (R)
Cleave 3G
When Jack the Splitter enters the battlefield, create [a 3/3 green Elemental creature token with "When this creature dies, create] two Food tokens["].
"Harvest time."
2/2

art: probably like https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PeaX98 or something

IIW: Terrible usages of Cleave
Imagine I typed a full paragraph here talking about costs, efficiency, flexibility, etc. This is good.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
I have no idea what archetypes you're pushing, but equipment + artifact is always a good theme:

Lollypop Faerie
1wu
Creature - Faerie Wizard (C)
Flying
When Lollypop Faerie enters the battlefield or dies, create Lollypop, a colorless Equipment Food artifact token with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1," "{2}, {T}, Sacrifice Lollypop: You gain 3 life," and equip {2}.
2/1

Everybody likes Food tokens it seems like. Equipment tokens are quite good. This would fit in what we affectionately call the "blue white %$#%" deck wherein you draft lots of, well, you know, and dink/dunk your way in for the win while disrupting the opponent. This helps with dinking AND dunking.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Jason, eternal reveanant 1BB
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/frida ... 0617194843
Legendary Creature - Zombie Horror (r)
When Jason enters the battlefield, if he was cast, conjure a trusty Machete card to your hand.
When Jason dies or is exiled, if an equipment named trusty machete was attached to him, return him to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep. He gains haste.
2/3

Conjure AND Equipment tokens. Unfortunately, unlike the previous card, this card doesn't usually line up with what the color wants to do. I think this is a bit too mana intensive for what is ultimately not that exciting of a payoff.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Dead Muster 4BB
Enchantment (R)
When Dead Muster enters the battlefield, you may exile a creature card from your hand. If you do, create a 3/3 black Wraith Knight creature token with menace.
If you would create one or more tokens, instead, for each of those tokens, you may return a permanent card that shares a card type with it from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. If you don't, create the tokens.
Some resurrections are also promotions.

IIW: __ from __
This is cute. Very cute. High-end for reanimator, though it's more of a Recurring Nightmare-style engine/late game finisher than a one-shot finisher. Being able to reanimate multiple types of permanents is also exciting. I just worry that it'll be too little, too late in a lot of games.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Dangling Pitcher-Plant
{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Plant (U)
Reach
When Dangling Pitcher-Plant enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
When Dangling Pitcher-Plant dies, create a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
1/1

It's almost impossible for you to know, but I don't like multicolor cards for cubes, and specifically find tri-color cards onerous. This does make a lot of bodies for not a lot of mana, but is the push worth the shove? (no)
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Meat Grinder 2
Artifact (R)
T, Sacrifice a creature: Create a Food token. If a Human was sacrificed this way, you may pay 2. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

IIW: The power of friendship is waning
More food? I would not play this card. It requires a very specific board state to be effective, and I will venture that it's likely win-more to the point where it's not worth including.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Preacher for Next Generation W
Creature - Human Cleric
Flash
Whenever a Human creature you control dies, you may reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Human creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Death is inevitable but if you think about who comes next, you will never die in vain.
1/1

IIW: IIW: "Return card name to hand"
Unlike the previous human tribal card, this one does something useful on its own AND gets way way better in the right board state. The ultimate Doomed Traveler. Heirloom Blade is a powerful card, and having that effect apply to... your whole team... for one mana........ ok, we probably need to turn a knob or two on this one, but I like it.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Manhunt for the Kessig Killer W
Enchantment
When Thorough Investigations enters the battlefield, Investigate.
Morbid - At the end of each turn, if a creature died this turn, Investigate.
Sacrifice three clues and Manhunt for the Kessig Killer: Exile target creature.

IIW: Meg as a Silverbordered Legendary Creature
Flattery in the IIWs will get you nowhere! Or everywhere, depending. Recurring source of Clues, with an eventual payoff for having a lot, is nice, especially for this mana investment. I think I'd play this.
wonderful wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
iiw: a Feast!
Scary art!! This feels a LOT like Doomsday, except you just get the cards. I'd try it out though, especially if there are good combo options.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Armament Switcher WW
Creature - Dog Rogue (U)
First strike
Armament Switcher enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Armament Switcher: Attach target Aura or Equipment to Armament Switcher.
1/1

iiw: please do not
OK

Cards I will Steal From You: Sarpadian Army Knife, Staggering Blast, Overflame Adjudicator, Bear of Bad News, Inner Eye, Jack the Splitter, Lollypop Faerie, Preacher for the Next Generation, Manhunt for the Kessig Killer, Gaze at Death
Winner: Juancu for Overflame Adjudicator
Next: boardgame inspired
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yeah that Adjudicator design is absolutely gorgeous

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Spreading Pandemic 1GBB
Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Then, if there are more than 3 -1/-1 counters on that creature, remove those -1/-1 counters and put a -1/-1 counter on each other creature that player controls that shares a color with that creature
"We're doing everything we can to contain the spread of it, but even we can't control outbreaks when they happen." - Boghald, Barrenton medic

Inspired by pandemic

Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka

Lair of the Boss Monster
Legendary Land - Lair
As Lair of the Boss Monster enters the battlefield, choose a nonhuman creature you control. it is a Boss in addition to its other types and gains Hexproof as long as you control a Lair.
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player venture into a dungeon. When a player completed a dungeon, target Boss creature you control fights another target creature they control.
Instants cards in your hand are traps in addition to their other types and gain the following text: "Whenever another player ventures into a dungeon, you may sacrifice a land rather than pay this spell's mana cost."

IIW: Wordy Cards

Juancu

Thanks! feel free to tinker as much as you want with it. I had it at 13 at first, but the flavor was an Archon of purifying fire, so I went with a "nicer" number. It could also fit in WB as Twilight Adjudicator perhaps, with "When this dies, target player draws a card and loses 13 life. Then if their life total..." Better synergies with sacrifices and paying life, too. Also, pm me if you are looking for players!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”