Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
(Augh! I forgot to add the target. >.<)
As is typical of a Lorehold student :P
Well, I do primarily study green and black mana, so artifice isn't my strong suit. :P

Anyway, on to my entry:

Spore Bloom BG
Sorcery (C)
When you draft Spore Bloom reveal it and note how many cards you have drafted this round.
Put a number of spore counters equal to the highest number of cards noted with Spore Bloom on target Fungus creature you control.
"Spontaneous spore blooms tend to rapidly expand Thallid numbers." - Research notes.

IIW: Dinosaurs or Paleolithic creatures.
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Jeweled Diadem 3
Artifact (U)
Ante (Before you shuffle for the first game of the match with a single opponent, you may reveal any number of cards with ante and bet them. If you lose that game, the opponent may play the bet cards as though they were in their card pool. If you win, shuffle that many Prizes into your deck before the next game. Return decks to normal when the match ends.)
T: Add one mana of any color.
5,t: Draw a card.

Prize 1
Sorcery (Token)
Draw 2 cards.
(This is not an actual Magic card, but a token card you shuffle into your deck as a result of another effect.)

IIW: Mercadia II

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

Negotiator's Offices
Land (R)
Reveal Negotiator's Offices when you draft it and note the number of cards remaining in the pack.
Negotiator's Offices enters the battlefield tapped unless there were seven or fewer cards remaining in the pack when you drafted it.
T: Add W or B.

IIW: 2+ DFCs that share a same 2nd face.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Well, I do primarily study green and black mana, so artifice isn't my strong suit. :P
Ah, fellow Witherbloom! Then I better tell you, this time you forgot the IIW.

Dream Moth
2uu
Creature - Insect Illusion {R}
Flying
When Dream Moth dies, you may reveal a card you drafted in your card pool from outside the game and put it into your hand. If you do, discard a card.
2/3
It becomes what you want it to be.

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Ah, fellow Witherbloom! Then I better tell you, this time you forgot the IIW.
Dammit again! >.<

Edit: Fixed, thanks.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Wildfire Surge RR
Sorcery (R)
Reveal Wildfire Surge as you draft it. Reveal the next card you draft and note its name.
Whenever you cast Wildfire Surge, it deals damage to a random creature or planeswalker you don't control equal to the mana value of the card noted.
Each player exiles the top card of their library and may play it until the end of their next turn.

IIW: your Wackiest Brew
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Psst... @Ulka, you forgot something very, very, important.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Treacherous Time 4UB
Sorcery (M)
Reveal Treacherous Time when you draft it and note how many cards you've drafted this draft round, including Treacherous Time.
Take an extra turn after this one, then lose X life, where X is 10 minus the lowest number you noted for cards named Treacherous Time. (If no number was noted, you lose 10 life.) Exile Treacherous Time.

IIW: A signature spell for a legendary creature

Mergatroid_Jones

I really wanted to try and make ante work, but I'm still not crazy about what I did. So here's a draft-matters mechanic that hopefully gums up the draft process less than some.

Strange Horizons
Land (U)
If you draft Strange Horizons first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Strange Horizons last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
T: Add C. If Strange horizons is Undiscovered, add an additional C.
1,T: Add one mana of any color. If Strange Horizons is Discovered, this ability costs 1 less to activate.

Ancient Porter 3
Artifact Creature- Construct (C)
If you draft Ancient Porter first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Ancient Porter last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
When Ancient Porter enters the battlefield if it is Discovered, draw a card. If it is Undiscovered, it enters the battlefield with 3 +1/+1 counters on it.
2/3

Deadly Verse 3B
Instant (U)
If you draft Deadly Verse first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Deadly Verse last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
If Deadly Verse is discovered, it costs 2 less to cast.
Destroy target creature or planeswalker. If Deadly Verse is Undiscovered, destroy each creature and planeswalker instead.

IIW: Choose any card's art from MtG art, and make a different card for it.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Psst... @Ulka, you forgot something very, very, important.
psss.... @Krishnath I don't intend to win but thanks for the reminder! 😬😬😬😬😬
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Chaos Bolt 2R
Instant (U)
Before you shuffle your deck to start the game, you may reveal this card from your deck and exile three or more instant and/or sorcery cards you drafted that aren't in your deck.
Chaos Bolt deals 3 damage to any target. Then choose a card at random you exiled with cards named Chaos Bolt and cast it without paying its mana cost.

IIW: Noncreature permanents with a morph variant (regular morph is fine)
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Unlimited Power R
Instant {R}
Draft Unlimited Power face up and note the number of cards you drafted before it this draft round.
After the draft, put X copies of Unlimited Power into your card pool, where X is the highest number you noted for cards named Unlimited Power.
Unlimited Power deals 3 damage to any target.

IIW: cult activities
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

we've.... contacted the judge
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Spore Bloom BG
Sorcery (C)
When you draft Spore Bloom reveal it and note how many cards you have drafted this round.
Put a number of spore counters equal to the highest number of cards noted with Spore Bloom on target Fungus creature you control.
"Spontaneous spore blooms tend to rapidly expand Thallid numbers." - Research notes.

What an oddly specific card. I would call it too specific, because the interesting thing with draft-matters cards is when you take it, as the card becomes incrementally better each pick and there's a danger it won't wheel. This card... doesn't have any of that. If you aren't playing a hard Fungus deck, you're never picking this before 14/15. If you are, you just pick it when it wheels and it becomes a crazy swingy "2 mana => 3-4 saprolings" but only if you have a board already.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Jeweled Diadem 3
Artifact (U)
Ante (Before you shuffle for the first game of the match with a single opponent, you may reveal any number of cards with ante and bet them. If you lose that game, the opponent may play the bet cards as though they were in their card pool. If you win, shuffle that many Prizes into your deck before the next game. Return decks to normal when the match ends.)
T: Add one mana of any color.
5,t: Draw a card.

Prize 1
Sorcery (Token)
Draw 2 cards.
(This is not an actual Magic card, but a token card you shuffle into your deck as a result of another effect.)

IIW: Mercadia II
Hmm yeah not sure how I feel about this. It's feels like it'd play badly in practice because of how win-more it is AND have some painful logistics since it implies the other guy has to put the cards in their deck?
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Negotiator's Offices
Land (R)
Reveal Negotiator's Offices when you draft it and note the number of cards remaining in the pack.
Negotiator's Offices enters the battlefield tapped unless there were seven or fewer cards remaining in the pack when you drafted it.
T: Add W or B.

IIW: 2+ DFCs that share a same 2nd face.
A strong fixing land that you can't really draft early. Interesting, but I don't like this at rare given duals are usually rare for $₽€¢IAŁ reasons unrelated to limited. Low-priority untapped duals would be good for supporting multicolor but making them rare kinda defeats that.
3 years ago
Dream Moth
2uu
Creature - Insect Illusion {R}
Flying
When Dream Moth dies, you may reveal a card you drafted in your card pool from outside the game and put it into your hand. If you do, discard a card.
2/3
It becomes what you want it to be.

A limited-only wish creature. Given the nature of most limited decks, I would be surprised if you couldn't make this a straight wish without the discard, especially at rare.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Wildfire Surge RR
Sorcery (R)
Reveal Wildfire Surge as you draft it. Reveal the next card you draft and note its name.
Whenever you cast Wildfire Surge, it deals damage to a random creature or planeswalker you don't control equal to the mana value of the card noted.
Each player exiles the top card of their library and may play it until the end of their next turn.

IIW: your Wackiest Brew
Oh, that's fun, but the random is a bit too spicy for me. Given it's draft, what're the chances it even goes above 5 or 6? The exile ribbon also makes the card feel a bit disjointed, and this card also doesn't need to be a rare.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Treacherous Time 4UB
Sorcery (M)
Reveal Treacherous Time when you draft it and note how many cards you've drafted this draft round, including Treacherous Time.
Take an extra turn after this one, then lose X life, where X is 10 minus the lowest number you noted for cards named Treacherous Time. (If no number was noted, you lose 10 life.) Exile Treacherous Time.

IIW: A signature spell for a legendary creature
A mythic!? What's the point of a draft-matters mythic? This also kinda just seems like a worse Time Warp.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
I really wanted to try and make ante work, but I'm still not crazy about what I did. So here's a draft-matters mechanic that hopefully gums up the draft process less than some.

Strange Horizons
Land (U)
If you draft Strange Horizons first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Strange Horizons last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
T: Add C. If Strange horizons is Undiscovered, add an additional C.
1,T: Add one mana of any color. If Strange Horizons is Discovered, this ability costs 1 less to activate.

Ancient Porter 3
Artifact Creature- Construct (C)
If you draft Ancient Porter first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Ancient Porter last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
When Ancient Porter enters the battlefield if it is Discovered, draw a card. If it is Undiscovered, it enters the battlefield with 3 +1/+1 counters on it.
2/3

Deadly Verse 3B
Instant (U)
If you draft Deadly Verse first in the pack, reveal it, and note its name as Discovered. If you draft Deadly Verse last in the pack, reveal it and note its name as Undiscovered.
If Deadly Verse is discovered, it costs 2 less to cast.
Destroy target creature or planeswalker. If Deadly Verse is Undiscovered, destroy each creature and planeswalker instead.

IIW: Choose any card's art from MtG art, and make a different card for it.
Ooh, an interesting mechanic, but I feel like in practice only the Discovered ability will matter - if you have to choose between a discovery card and something else at 14th, there's almost 0 chance you pass the discovery card, even if you can't play it. These cards as written are also not really bad enough to go to last pick (which is a good thing imo). Still, making some otherwise ordinary draft staples first-pickable is kinda cool.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Chaos Bolt 2R
Instant (U)
Before you shuffle your deck to start the game, you may reveal this card from your deck and exile three or more instant and/or sorcery cards you drafted that aren't in your deck.
Chaos Bolt deals 3 damage to any target. Then choose a card at random you exiled with cards named Chaos Bolt and cast it without paying its mana cost.

IIW: Noncreature permanents with a morph variant (regular morph is fine)
Hoo that's pretty crazy. It doesn't seem too hard to have a few decent effects to push a 2R Bolt into insanity territory. Such as, uh, other Chaos Bolts. Or even just off-colour cantrips. Mythic uncommon for sure.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Unlimited Power R
Instant {R}
Draft Unlimited Power face up and note the number of cards you drafted before it this draft round.
After the draft, put X copies of Unlimited Power into your card pool, where X is the highest number you noted for cards named Unlimited Power.
Unlimited Power deals 3 damage to any target.

IIW: cult activities
I'm a really bad Magic: The Gathering player and I once X-2-1-dropped a GP off the back of four Lightning Strikes.
winner: Mergatroid_Jones for the Discovery mechanic
next: Choose any card's art from MtG art, and make a different card for it.

Mergatroid_Jones

Huzzah. I meant to say "Choose any card's art from MtG HISTORY, and make a different card for it.

a bit less redundant.

Just mention the card you're using.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

I must correct the wrongs of the past:

Nagrak Drakewrangler
2rr
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
When Nagrak Drakewrangler enters the battlefield, create a 2/1 black Drake creature token with flying.
Drakes you control have haste.
2/2

Art:
Kargan Dragonrider

Matriarch Reaverdrake
3ubr
Creature - Drake (R)
Flying
Whenever Matriarch Reaverdrake enters the battlefield or a creature dealt damage by Matriarch Reaverdrake this turn dies, create a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying.
4/4

Art:
Nephalia Moondrakes (promo version)

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

i hit random until i found an art that made me laugh

Merrow Levitator

Merrow Prankster 1UU
Creature — Merfolk Wizard {R}
When Merrow Prankster enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature with power 2 or less. That creature can't attack or block for as long as you control Merrow Prankster.
2/3

IIW: the grand heist
MEG

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Necrotic Hex

Return from the Grave 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Multikicker 1B
Put target creature in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control, it is a black zombie in addition to its other colors and types. Repeat this process for each time Return from the Grave was kicked.
"The best part about being at war is that after every battle I replenish my troops, but my enemies don't." - Threul Ghand, Necromancer.

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 3 years ago

Forest

Sylvan Retreat 2G
Enchantment (R)
Forests you control gain: "t: Target elf gains shroud and cannot attack or block until the beginning of your next upkeep."

The elves wove cities amidst the trees, stone and wood twining together as one.

IIW: Oxymoron Cards (ex: Jumbo Shrimp)

Mergatroid_Jones

I sense maybe a secondary challenge will be of use.

Secondary challenge: Exert

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Knock Senseless 1RR
(art: Epic Confrontation|DTK)
Instant (U)
Target creature you control gets +3/+0 until end of turn. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control. Tap the creature you don't control.

IIW: The black market

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Sangromantic Igniter 2R
(art from Fires of Undeath)
Creature - Vampire Shaman (U)
Whenever a creature dies, Sangromatic Igniter deals 1 damage to any target.
2BB, , Exert Sangromantic Igniter: Each player sacrifices a creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on Sangromatic Igniter
3/2

IIW: Unreleased mechanics

Megiddo
MEG

@Mergatroid_Jones slow weekend I guess, but you may want to judge when you're on next.
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Going to bed soon. I'll judge in the morning.

Mergatroid_Jones

Judge
Show
Hide
3 years ago
I must correct the wrongs of the past:

Nagrak Drakewrangler
2rr
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
When Nagrak Drakewrangler enters the battlefield, create a 2/1 black Drake creature token with flying.
Drakes you control have haste.
2/2

Art:
Kargan Dragonrider

Matriarch Reaverdrake
3ubr
Creature - Drake (R)
Flying
Whenever Matriarch Reaverdrake enters the battlefield or a creature dealt damage by Matriarch Reaverdrake this turn dies, create a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying.
4/4

Art:
Nephalia Moondrakes (promo version)

That drakewrangler's no joke. It would be a defining uncommon for limited. The art fits just fine.

The Reaverdrake (drakes matter theme?) also fits the art just fine, though not necessarily better than the original card (though that card is noticeably underpowered and this is not). I like "when it ETBs or kills a creature" better than the titan trigger of "when ETBs or attacks, since it's much harder to get continuous advantage, but the initial advantage remains.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
i hit random until i found an art that made me laugh

Merrow Levitator

Merrow Prankster 1UU
Creature — Merfolk Wizard {R}
When Merrow Prankster enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature with power 2 or less. That creature can't attack or block for as long as you control Merrow Prankster.
2/3

IIW: the grand heist
"I am the frog floater, I float frogs."

The flavor really works here. It's like a kid keeping an animal they found in the yard in a box with a leaf. I like the Opportunistic Dragon form of "removal", and it makes the card very powerful. It's the white Fiend Hunter. Weaker than Fiend Hunter, yes, but still very playable. Rare is correct.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Necrotic Hex

Return from the Grave 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Multikicker 1B
Put target creature in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control, it is a black zombie in addition to its other colors and types. Repeat this process for each time Return from the Grave was kicked.
"The best part about being at war is that after every battle I replenish my troops, but my enemies don't." - Threul Ghand, Necromancer.

This card is pretty inefficient. It is significantly better than Rise from the Grave, but I'm still thinking uncommon would be okay for it. Marshal's Anthem is the nearest comparison. At rare, it's kinda jank and bad. It could use a small extra push. Not that it's unbelievable at rare. The art works just fine for the card. I wouldn't really notice it.
stille_nacht wrote:
3 years ago
Forest

Sylvan Retreat 2G
Enchantment (R)
Forests you control gain: "t: Target elf gains shroud and cannot attack or block until the beginning of your next upkeep."

The elves wove cities amidst the trees, stone and wood twining together as one.

IIW: Oxymoron Cards (ex: Jumbo Shrimp)
I like very much that you used a basic land, and Ravnica lands are perfect to use for different cards. Protecting elves can be dangerous, since elves is a powerful deck across formats. But I like you're "can't attack or block" drawback. Coincidentally it's also elf-hate of a certain kind, which is pretty cool.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Knock Senseless 1RR
(art: Epic Confrontation|DTK)
Instant (U)
Target creature you control gets +3/+0 until end of turn. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control. Tap the creature you don't control.

IIW: The black market
There's nothing in the world wrong with this card. But it's pretty similar to the base card, and not the most exciting design. Still a decent card-- very powerful in limited, but restrained by costing double red.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Sangromantic Igniter 2R
(art from Fires of Undeath)
Creature - Vampire Shaman (U)
Whenever a creature dies, Sangromatic Igniter deals 1 damage to any target.
2BB, , Exert Sangromantic Igniter: Each player sacrifices a creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on Sangromatic Igniter
3/2

IIW: Unreleased mechanics
Well that's pretty neat. I appreciate that you kept the off-color activation, and used exert. Classy. It seems a shame that i I sacrifice my Igniter to her own ability, I don't get the counter. Without it exerting, the ability would be too powerful, but with it, it's just the right speed for uncommon.
Victory
Show
Hide
Winner: lookingupanddown for Sangromantic Igniter
HM: Stille Nacht for Sylvan Retreat and Megiddo for Merrow Prankster
Next: Unreleased mechanics

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”