NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

KoolKoal
For Posterity
Pronoun: he / him

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

Cosmic Eruption
Sorcery (M)
Cosmic Eruption deals 3 damage to any target.
When you cast Cosmic Eruption for its megaforetell cost, it deals 3 damage to each creature, player, and planeswalker instead.
Foretell
Megaforetell (When you cast this card for its foretell cost, exile it as it resolves. Cast it on a later turn for its megaforetell cost.)

IIW: Even a broken clock is right twice a day
Last edited by KoolKoal 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Togs
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Togs » 3 years ago

Future Tutor B
Instant (R)
Add up to one card from your draft pool to your hand.
Megaforetell 3B (Before you shuffle your deck to start the game, you may exile this card from your deck face down. Cast it later for its megaforetell cost.)

IIW: Benedict Customcards

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

I had an epipipiphany!

Epic Tale 2R
Sorcery (C)
Add or remove a lore counter from a Saga you control, the chapter triggers.
Megaforetell 1R (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it late for its foretell cost. When you cast it for its foretell cost, you get your choice of a clue token, food token, or treasure token.)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Storm Scale: Kaldheim Reborn Dragons of Kaldheim Kaldheim II: As Foretold Kaldheim Under Siege
Posted in Baking Magic on December 13th, 2025
By Krark Brosewater

The Storm Scale is something I created years ago on my blog (Requesting Beast on Tumblr) as a fun way to predict the likelihood of certain mechanics or other features returning to a premier set (something legal in Standard). I named it the Storm Scale after the mechanic storm which I felt was unlikely to return to Standard. The scale became popular enough that I've done a number of them in "Baking Magic":

Ravnica Resold
Get in the Binnistrad
Deus Ex: Spark Revolution
Ghibli Masters Edition VI
Mirrodin's Core (Not the Mirrodin One)

In this column I'm going to be looking at the mechanics from the fifteen different parallel universe's releases we know of so far of the second set we've released set on the Norse-inspired world of Kaldheim. The Storm Scale is a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 meaning the mechanical item is very likely to return and 10 meaning the item is very unlikely to return. Here's what each point means on the scale:

Level 1: Will definitely see again, most likely in the next set

Examples: flying, deathtouch, poison

Level 2: Will definitely see again, but not necessarily right away

Examples: cantrips, hybrid mana, triple-faced cards

Level 3: Will most likely do again, probably many times

Examples: megamorph, flashback, Sagas

Level 4: Will most likely do again, but they have issues that make them less of a guarantee

Examples: cycling, convoke, exalted

Level 5: We need to find the right place to bring it back, but I'm optimistic

Examples: evolve, monstrous, morbid

Level 6: We need to find the right place to bring it back, but I'm a little less optimistic

Examples: compost, ninjutsu, living weapon

Level 7: It's unlikely to return, but possible if the right environment comes along

Examples: snow mana, retrace, split second

Level 8: It's unlikely to return, but possible if the stars align

Examples: madness, echo, lootbox

Level 9: I never say never, but this would require a minor miracle

Examples: phasing, threshold, clash

Level 10: I never say never, but this would require a major miracle

Examples: storm, dredge, first strike

With that explained, it's time to start grading mechanics.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Deathmist Oracle 1GG
Creature - Dinosaur Druid (M)
Haste
Deathmist Oracle can't be blocked by creatures with converted mana cost 2 or less.
Whenever you cast a foretold spell, you may exile Deathmist Oracle from your graveyard foretold.
Megaforetell 1G (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its megaforetell cost. When you do, it enters the battlefield with a destiny counter on it and change the text of this permanent to increase all printed numerical values and number words by one.)
3/2

IIW: Muscle Nerds

Yes, this means that like everyone's favorite mechanic, haunt, megaforetell would have different rules text for instants/sorceries and permanent spells, just as Richard Garfield would have intended.
Magic design heuristics have evolved to adopt the philosophy that the more number words we can put on a card, the better it is received. Players particularly aligned with destinyforetell's ability to make numbers BIGGER. This iteration gave a clear resemblance to the inspiration, world-popular mechanic megamorph, but the fact that destiny counters were not keyword counters, a core part of the modern game, made this mechanic occasionally confusing to the casual player.

Storm Scale Rating: 4
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Prophetic Dreams 2U
Sorcery (U)
Draw two cards.
Megaforetell 1U (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down until the end of the match. Cast it on a later turn or a later game during this match for its foretell cost.)

IIW: You went the wrong way.
This version had glaring issues due to competitive play's adoption of the best-of-three match structure in tournament rounds, and had to receive functional errata 24 days after the set's release. Arena matches would often crash leading to confusion over whether futureforetell cards could still be played.

Storm Scale Rating: 8
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Runebound Cleric 2W
Creature — Human Cleric {C}
Vigilance
Megaforetell 3W (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. When you do, draw a card.)
2/3

IIW: big red
Cantrip abilities always receive an extremely low storm scale rating, and this is no different. Cantripforetell allowed us to mess with the heuristic of foretell cards typically receving a discount overall to their foretold mode in a way that was grokkable to players.

Storm Scale Rating: 3
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Actually, for these you would just write out the text on the card rather than making a variant to the keyword, but oh well.

Alrund's Scout U
Creature-Bird (C)
Flying
Bird Foretell 1U (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. When you do, create a 1/2 blue Bird creature token with flying.)
"I'm anxious that Hakka may not return, but more fearful am I for Drokka." -Alrund
1/2

Betrayal of the Skies 1G
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target creature with flying.
Bird Foretell 2G (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. When you do, create a 1/2 blue Bird creature token with flying.)

The Fields Picked Clean 1WW
Instant (R)
Cast The Fields Picked Clean only if at least one creature attacked and at least one creature blocked this turn. Destroy each creature that attacked or blocked this turn.
Bird Foretell 1W (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. When you do, create a 1/2 blue Bird creature token with flying.)

IIW: Janky planeswalkers that would be fun to play.
Featherforetell had lofty ambitions, but this mechanic failed in the designer's core goal to push Kangee, the Everchosen as a competitive staple. It did push sales of our Storm Crow Secret Lair Mega Drop, however, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it return.

Storm Crow Scale Rating: 5
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Runic Griffin 3W
Creature - Griffin (C)
Flying
Whenever Runic Griffin enters the battlefield or attacks, you gain 2 life.
Megaforetell 3W (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. When you do, scry X, where X is the mana spent casting this card from exile.)
2/3

IIW: Cephalids Reimagined
Foretellforetell was a great roleplayer for Limited play, but with Design no longer needing to balance the game for Limited play the odds of this one returning are slim.

Storm Scale Rating: 6
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Eh, I think I am going to sit this one out. I can't come up with a good variant of foretell at the moment.
Given the challenge is megaforetell, I don't think you're supposed to.

Bring Down the Sky 3RW
Sorcery (R)
Bring Down the Sky deals 4 damage to each creature and each player. You gain 4 life.
Megaforetell 2RW (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. If you do, it costs 1 less to cast)

IIW: Monks and monasteries
One of the most misleading abilities we've ever created, thriftforetell allowed players who could read cards to gain a sizeable advantage over their opponents. Expect to see it return.

Storm Scale Rating: 2
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Prophesied Helix 2RW
Instant (R)
Prophesied Helix deals 3 damage to any target. You gain 3 life.
Megaforetell 2B (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for either its mana cost reduced by 2 or its foretell cost.)

IIW: Liquid
Flexiforetell allowed players to use the extra mana deck to great effect to outwit their opponents. This one was much more well received by tournament players than casual ones, who seemed shocked that these cards would not let them get a discount.

3 years ago
Call to Duty W
Instant (C)
Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
Megaforetell 2W (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its megaforetell cost. If you do, copy this spell twice. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

IIW: Remove, add or change a letter from the name of an existing card and make a new card from it
Kickerforetell was powerful in the right hands, however the game died after Activision bought out the game and ramped microtransactions up to 11, so don't expect to see any more mechanics from this universe.

Storm Scale Rating: 5
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Kaldheim's Compleation 2GU
Enchantment (U)
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, proliferate.
Megaforetell GU (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its megaforetell cost. It enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.)

IIW: Creature-specific abilities on other types of permanents
Regular readers of this column will know that anything involving a +1/+1 counter is a shoe-in to come back in my book. Mixing megaforetell with megagraft and megamorph in the same set was nothing short of pure genius.

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Knight of the Old Era 2W
Creature — Elephant Knight
Vigilance
Knight of the Old Era has first strike if you lost your previous game.
You may foretell Knight of the Old Era from your graveyard.
Megaforetell 1W (During your turn, you may pay and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it in a later turn during this game or your next game for its foretell cost.)
3/3

(Silver border, naturally)

IIW: Bears, badgers, and beavers, oh my!
Circling back to futureforetell, the same comments stand, but I neglected to mention that this was one of those mechanics originally featured in silver border, in this case our 25th Un-Set - Unnecessary. It made much more sense in this setting, so don't expect to see it come back in black border.

Storm Scale Rating: Un
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Dark Portents -- 3B
Sorcery
Discard two, draw two, mill two, scry two, then lose two life.
Megaforetell 1B, Pay two life (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it during a later turn for its megaforetell cost. If you do, it gains epic.
"Loremaster Arculon said to pay attention to the fine print," Dybant said with a sneer. "But that's only because he's an old man, and can't read fine print that well!"
IIW: Jazz clubs with smoky atmospheres
Everyone should be familiar with the fact that epic is one of our best-selling mechanics of all time, thanks to the card Unyielding Vortex which professional player Rodnald Drump bought his way to three successive Arena MEGAtour wins with. It was only natural that we revisited it, as players enjoyed the fact that they no longer had to make gameplay decisions.

Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Omen Sphinx 2UU
Creature — Sphinx {R}
Flash
Flying
Megaforetell UU (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it later for its foretell cost.)
3/3

IIW: More Sphinxes
10/10 card design. paymentplanforetell will be featured in every Magic set for the remainder of time.

Storm Scale Rating: 1
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Cosmic Eruption
Sorcery (M)
Cosmic Eruption deals 3 damage to any target.
When you cast Cosmic Eruption for its megaforetell cost, it deals 3 damage to each creature, player, and planeswalker instead.
Foretell
Megaforetell (When you cast this card for its foretell cost, exile it as it resolves. Cast it on a later turn for its megaforetell cost.)

IIW: Even a broken clock is right twice a day
An extremely well-balanced mechanic, this one sold a lot of cards. Superextraforetell even gave me a payrise, so I assume it'll come back.

Togs wrote:
3 years ago
Future Tutor B
Instant (R)
Add up to one card from your draft pool to your hand.
Megaforetell 3B (Before you shuffle your deck to start the game, you may exile this card from your deck face down. Cast it later for its megaforetell cost.)

In the one universe where Limited play remains, draftforetell was extremely successful. This version of Play Design remained true to the original philosophy in regards to selling packs, and completely eliminated Constructed play. Despite the cries of repetitive gameplay, it was a hit.

Storm Scale Rating: 3
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I had an epipipiphany!

Epic Tale 2R
Sorcery (C)
Add or remove a lore counter from a Saga you control, the chapter triggers.
Megaforetell 1R (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it late for its foretell cost. When you cast it for its foretell cost, you get your choice of a clue token, food token, or treasure token.)
In this universe's plan to make Clues, Treasures and Foods all evergreen mechanics, it realised it needed flexible enables. Thus, omnomforetell was born. As the most recent of these mechanics to release, it remains to be seen how longlasting its legacy will be, but the synergy with MegaOko is undeniable, and magaforetell takes its inspiration from the material desires of the western world quite appropriately.

Storm Scale Rating: borgor
BUY MORE CARDS PLEASE

That's all the variants of megaforetell we've discovered so far. As more universes are encountered in the future, expect more follow ups, but until then, may the version of megaforetell you wish for return.
Winner:
Show
Hide
Cythare for Deathmist Raptor Oracle
Next: Muscle Nerds
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Dangit, I just realized I forgot an IIW on my entry. Dammit. >.<

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

i'm submitting a french vanilla evolve creature, before any of you get that idea.

IIW: a card that would fit into this article
MEG

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Learned Alchemist 1U
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
4, T: Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Sacrifice two clue tokens: Transform Learned Alchemist.
1/1
///
Hulking Psychopath (Red)
Creature - Human Mutant
5/4
Trample

IIW: Superheroes and Supervillains.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Enthusiastic Trainer 2G
Creature- Human Advisor (U)
When a creature you control becomes tapped, you may exert that creature.
When a creature you control becomes exerted, put a +1/+1 counter on it and gain 1 life.
G, T: Untap another target creature.
2/2

IIW: A different card for one of the following illustrations:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Kudzu, Mark Poole. Plague of Vermin, Carl Critchlow. Karn's Temporal Sundering, Noah Bradley. Last One Standing, Svetlin Velinov.

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Mortimer, Flex-Master Wizard
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (U)
Whenever you draw one or more cards, you may tap Mortimer, Flex-Master Wizard or pay , where X is the amount of cards drawn this way. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each card drawn this way.
"Reading tomes and making GAINS!!"
1/1

IIW: :poop:

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

Muscle Ointment 1
Artifact (U)
R: Target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If it's the third time you target the same creature with this ability this turn, flip a coin. If heads, that creature can't be blocked this turn. If tails, tap it. Activate this ability only before attackers are declared.
Some others use it to cook pork chops.

IIW: Unusual artifacts

Megiddo
MEG

Kai, the Body Sculptor 2RR
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior {R}
RR: Kai, the Body Sculptor gets +X/-Y until end of turn, where X is its power and Y is half its toughness, rounded up. If this is the third time you've activated this ability this turn, Kai gains double strike and trample until end of turn.
"It's all about that mana-muscle connection."
2/4

IIW: augmented reality
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The original text, before I did the template research: RR: Until end of turn, double ~'s power and halve its toughness, rounded down. (Halving 1 makes 0.))
MEG

Togs

The GAINS GOBLIN 1R
Creature - Goblin (U)
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on another permanent, you may put that many +1/+1 counters on The GAINS GOBLIN instead.
Megamorph 1R
2/1

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Jace, the Body Sculptor
1gur
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
3gur: Monstrous 3
As long as Jace, the Body Sculptor is monstrous, he has hexproof and trample.
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on Jace. Until end of turn, he becomes a 3/3 Human creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-2: Discard a card. Draw two cards.
Loyalty: 4
"What really bothers me is the fact my abs are asymmetrical."

Edit: Oh, Muscle NERD

Swole Sole
2u
Creature - Merfolk Mutant (U)
g: Adapt 1
Outlast 1g
2/2
The swolest of the Simic.

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Chidi Anagonye WUU
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
Vigilance
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Chidi.
Whenever you scry, if you scried 2 or more, draw a card.
"When he was 14, someone told him that exercise alleviated anxiety, and he basically never stopped." - Eleanor Shellstrop
2/2

IIW: The Seven Deadly Sins

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Pumping Iron -- 1G
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Then, if it has the highest power among creatures, it gets an additional +2/+2 until end of turn.
IIW: Card titles that rhyme

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Massmogrifier
Instant (U)
Two target creatures swap base power and toughness until end of turn.
Don't mess with nerds. They know how your thews work.

IIW: Legendary Creature - Elder {non-dragon animal type}

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

"Alright, who's ready to get swole using SCIENCE, MAGIC, and NUTRITION?!?! It's time to review your dissertations so you too can become masters of EXERCISE MAGIC!"
GAINS
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Learned Alchemist 1U
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
4, T: Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Sacrifice two clue tokens: Transform Learned Alchemist.
1/1
///
Hulking Psychopath (Red)
Creature - Human Mutant
5/4
Trample

IIW: Superheroes and Supervillains.
An interesting approach. So after learning some more, you suddenly gain a large quantity of muscle mass? I'm not sure how you're learning exercise here as opposed to being a nerd and suddenly gaining muscle.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Enthusiastic Trainer 2G
Creature- Human Advisor (U)
When a creature you control becomes tapped, you may exert that creature.
When a creature you control becomes exerted, put a +1/+1 counter on it and gain 1 life.
G, T: Untap another target creature.
2/2

IIW: A different card for one of the following illustrations:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Kudzu, Mark Poole. Plague of Vermin, Carl Critchlow. Karn's Temporal Sundering, Noah Bradley. Last One Standing, Svetlin Velinov.
Ah, a fellow burgeoning trainer! Very good! Your form is very compelling, although I'm a bit dubious about your methods to heal from the stress of exertion (I'm not a fan of the double-exerting possible here, since you double-dip and both exertions wear off during the same untap step, which isn't intuitive).
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Mortimer, Flex-Master Wizard
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (U)
Whenever you draw one or more cards, you may tap Mortimer, Flex-Master Wizard or pay , where X is the amount of cards drawn this way. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each card drawn this way.
"Reading tomes and making GAINS!!"
1/1

IIW: :poop:
Ah, so you've discovered that TIME = MAGIC when training. Knowing when to devote time or magical energy to improve your gains is a very POWERFUL skill to learn!
3 years ago
Muscle Ointment 1
Artifact (U)
R: Target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If it's the third time you target the same creature with this ability this turn, flip a coin. If heads, that creature can't be blocked this turn. If tails, tap it. Activate this ability only before attackers are declared.
Some others use it to cook pork chops.

IIW: Unusual artifacts
Aha, a marketable product! HOW ENTREPRENUERIAL! It appears this muscle ointment is only temporary, which may be an issue when getting repeat customers...unless there's an addictive component in the secret sauce...
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Kai, the Body Sculptor 2RR
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior {R}
RR: Kai, the Body Sculptor gets +X/-Y until end of turn, where X is its power and Y is half its toughness, rounded up. If this is the third time you've activated this ability this turn, Kai gains double strike and trample until end of turn.
"It's all about that mana-muscle connection."
2/4

IIW: augmented reality
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The original text, before I did the template research: RR: Until end of turn, double ~'s power and halve its toughness, rounded down. (Halving 1 makes 0.))
Wow, the DEVOTION to pure power! You're really willing to take the tank all the way to 0 just to get those GAINS." (This template still kills Kai during the third activation, which doesn't change from your original wording).
Togs wrote:
3 years ago
The GAINS GOBLIN 1R
Creature - Goblin (U)
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on another permanent, you may put that many +1/+1 counters on The GAINS GOBLIN instead.
Megamorph 1R
2/1

DEVIOUS! You use magic to steal others' gains? That's practically dishonorable, except that the results are undeniable! Most impressive!
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Jace, the Body Sculptor
1gur
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
3gur: Monstrous 3
As long as Jace, the Body Sculptor is monstrous, he has hexproof and trample.
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on Jace. Until end of turn, he becomes a 3/3 Human creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-2: Discard a card. Draw two cards.
Loyalty: 4
"What really bothers me is the fact my abs are asymmetrical."

Edit: Oh, Muscle NERD

Swole Sole
2u
Creature - Merfolk Mutant (U)
g: Adapt 1
Outlast 1g
2/2
The swolest of the Simic.

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant
I'm not clear what magic this Jace fellow is using to make himself indestructible, but that's not the muscle nerd way. You earn your muscles, so you USE your muscles. (I'm not sure how I feel about freely mixing counters on him, but the bigger issue is damage prevention in the context of a RUG walker - that feels distinctly white/Gideon, and I'd probably instead mirror Sarkhan so that you avoid loyalty counter loss but still actually care about damage).

This fish-man, on the other hand, is an intriguing specimen! He has realized that early gains can be easy, but additional gains take DEVOTION and EFFORT! A very respectable bodybuilder!
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Chidi Anagonye WUU
Vigilance
"When he was 14, someone told him that exercise alleviated anxiety, and he basically never stopped." - Eleanor Shellstrop
2/2

I'm not clear how this man is actually exercising, but the GAINS are undeniable. Is he learning about exercising, or does he just spontaneously generate muscles when he thinks? Either is amazing use of magic for muscle. (I care a lot about the intended rarity of cards, so while I am assuming this would be rare, I'm not sure, and that makes it harder for me to properly judge.)
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Pumping Iron -- 1G
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Then, if it has the highest power among creatures, it gets an additional +2/+2 until end of turn.
IIW: Card titles that rhyme
Ah yes! The true PINNACLE of strength. Realizing that even though you are the strongest, it is no reason to stop. In fact, the opposite! It means it is your responsibility to do your best to be EVEN STRONGER! (See above regarding rarity. This feels pretty easily common, but I'd like to know your intention.)
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Massmogrifier
Instant (U)
Two target creatures swap base power and toughness until end of turn.
Don't mess with nerds. They know how your thews work.

IIW: Legendary Creature - Elder {non-dragon animal type}
Ah, a temporary switcheroo with someone else's gains. A bit dastardly, but a passable variation on the standard muscle magic science.
SWOLE
Show
Hide
HMs: avatarz for Muscle Ointment, Megiddo for Kai, the Body Sculptor.
Winner: OneandOnly for Pumping Iron. Truly an amazing show of strength.
Next: Card titles that rhyme.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Chidi Anagonye WUU
Vigilance
2/2

I'm not clear how this man is actually exercising, but the GAINS are undeniable. Is he learning about exercising, or does he just spontaneously generate muscles when he thinks? Either is amazing use of magic for muscle. (I care a lot about the intended rarity of cards, so while I am assuming this would be rare, I'm not sure, and that makes it harder for me to properly judge.)
Yeah, it would likely be rare, but the card is a character from The Good Place, he's a moral philosophy professor who is surprisingly jacked, and the flavor text is the explanation given for his muscles. A summary of his process is think about things>learn things>things learned give anxiety>exercise to get rid of anxiety

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Learned Alchemist/Hulking Psychopath is a reference to Jekyll/Hyde. The names should have made that blatantly obvious. >.<

Don't people read the classics anymore?

Megiddo
MEG

MEG

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ding! Except mine is a better representation as the flip side isn't a glass cannon.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Dragon Wagon 3RR
Artifact - Vehicle
Trample
R: Dragon Wagon gets +1/+0 until end of turn if it is a creature.
Whenever Dragon Wagon attacks, if you control a tapped Dwarf, create two gold tokens.
Crew 3
2 inches of Armor, a dragonfire flametosser, this thing is a marvel of Dwarven ingenuity - Reyav
4/4

IIW: Cephalids Reimagined
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Learned Alchemist/Hulking Psychopath is a reference to Jekyll/Hyde. The names should have made that blatantly obvious. >.<

Don't people read the classics anymore?
I understood the reference, but he isn't trying to learn how to become stronger, and isn't studying anything about it. You aren't a "muscle nerd" just because you develop a serum that inadvertently turns you into a hulking beast.

This is, of course, possibly unfair to people whose interpretation of the challenge didn't line up with how I intended to judge it, but there were entries that did align with how I envisioned it, so it felt right to award the victory there.
Last edited by Cythare 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Togs

It's time

Frog Atog 1G
Creature - Frog Atog
Sacrifice a Frog: Frog Atog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/2

IIW Frog

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

Cesspool Ghoul BB
Creature — Zombie (U)
Intimidate
Whenever a creature dies, if it had counters on it, you may put those counters on Cesspool Ghoul.
The tainted wastes of Ravnica once brought back a man. Sometimes, you can smell his fetid breath exuding from the city's dismal paving.
2/2

IIW: Weird artifacts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”