Tainted strike yay - 2

I like fling effects in the deck!

Strike It Rich early game ramp, spellslinger payoff. Can be cast twice

Tags:

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Alright, I'll say it the obvious card then. I nominate Demonic Tutor. I'll yay Tainted Strike as well.

Tainted Strike, Soul's Fire and Grim Hireling have all been confirmed.

I think I'm going to nay Kazuul's Fury and Strike it Rich. I don't see enough in two for one'ng ourselves with fling effects when we already play a lot of disposable cards. I think that's too risky. Strike it Rich doesn't do anything and you're never going to flash this back to trade three mana for one. Better to use a Big Score or Unexpected Windfall.

Burning Anger yay - 2 nay - 1
Kazuul's Fury yay - 1 nay - 2
Strike It Rich yay - 0 nay - 1
Demonic Tutor yay - 0 nay - 0
Last edited by 3drinks 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

@duducrash, my friend, your posts confuse me sometimes. Are you recapping or voting? The numbers don't always change.

Anyway, we have to be getting to our last few picks, and I think it's time for unexciting utility, so I'd like a current card count before I issue my yays and nays. I will say that it would appear that we have almost enough of our main strategies and support therein. My gut says we need a few more rituals, mana rocks, and tutors. So with that in mind, as well as financial cost, my pick for today is Profane Tutor.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
@duducrash, my friend, your posts confuse me sometimes. Are you recapping or voting? The numbers don't always change.
This. I had to re-read this post and then go back to previous page to verify my counts this morning.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Anyway, we have to be getting to our last few picks, and I think it's time for unexciting utility, so I'd like a current card count before I issue my yays and nays. I will say that it would appear that we have almost enough of our main strategies and support therein. My gut says we need a few more rituals, mana rocks, and tutors. So with that in mind, as well as financial cost, my pick for today is Profane Tutor.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

59, eh?

Ok. I think it's time to tighten our belts, so to speak.

Nay to Strike It Rich.
Yay, but barely, to Kazuul's Fury // Kazuul's Cliffs but only because it's a land too. Another unenthusiastic yay for Demonic Tutor. Ubiquitous, awesome staple, obviously, but is a bit pricey for most, I'd say.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks

It is a bit pricey yeah, but I think, unlike a $40 bitterblossom, more people might have a tutour laying around and it's much more applicable in every deck with swamps. In that stead, I think it's really hard to argue against it.

Kazuul's Fury yay - 2 nay - 2
Strike It Rich yay - 0 nay - 2
Demonic Tutor yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Yea on Demonic Tutor and Profane Tutor. Nay on Strike It Rich. I suggest we round it off with Vampiric Tutor. Another all purpose, you probably have one somewhere card, especially with it being on the List and in Commander Legends.

EDIT - price check'd.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Let's not overestimate the 'probably have one laying around' thing. I've been playing since Ice Age and only got my first Vampiric Tutor a year ago. Demonic Tutor has been printed quite a bit, but it's never been a budget card. Further, I know this isn't a budget deck per se, but it was my impression that we were to maintain a certain modicum of attainability, and I don't want us to go off the deep end as we wind things up.

A cautious yay on Vampiric Tutor. And a preemptive nay on Imperial Seal ;)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I think this might be a Commune with Lava deck. So let's see:)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
So, Sometimes I dont know how I feel about an addition, so I just organize without my vote. I dont want to decide on stuff im not sure of and maybe put a bad card on or leave a good card out. So I just put together as they are so my votes dont get confusing. Sorry if it had the opposite effect

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I'll yay Kazuul:s fury. A fling can come handy and having it stapled to a land is a plus.

I'll nominate shatterskull smashing. Very little cost to play it, can act as a MV wildcard and clear a couple of blockers.

3drinks

Demonic tutour and kazuul's fury have been confirmed into the deck.

Strike It Rich has been cut.

I'll yay for commune with Lava, and nay to profane tutour. Yay to shatterskull Smashing because I guess the opportunity cost is low. Which suggests to me the black one will also make it, but that's for another day I guess. I want to nay vampiric tutour, but it is as low as it's ever been, so maybe it's OK. Yay. This gives me ideas for the second round though.

Vampiric Tutor yay - 2 nay - 0
Profane Tutor yay - 1 nay - 1
Commune with Lava yay - 1 nay - 0
Shatterskull Smashing yay - 2 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Yeah agadeem awakening and malakir rebirth both feel like shoe ins to me

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Easy yay to Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass. I can't believe it wasn't here already.

Nay to Commune with Lava. This strikes me as a card that looks cooler than it actually plays.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'll +1 the MDFC lands.

Its probably time.to start looking at the unsexy side abd filling out more land slots. Luxury Suite is pretty cheap rn right?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

My pick for today is Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance - functionally a mountain that can sometimes put 2 bodies to sacrifice out.

Im confused on which MDFCs are up to vote but I love them. All yay the ones who are up for consideration

Luxury Suite who wouldnt Yay Badlands . Big yay

3drinks

Shatterskull Smashing has been confirmed.

Vampiric Tutor yay - 2 nay - 0
Profane Tutor yay - 1 nay - 1
Commune with Lava yay - 1 nay - 1
Luxury Suite yay - 1 nay - 0
Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I guess the safest things to suggest now are lands. Takenuma, Abandoned Mire seems like a pretty good fit then.

I don't like it, but I don't know how I could vote against vampiric tutor. Is there something I'm missing with profane tutor? Two turns is just too long to wait right? I think that's a nay.

I want to like commune with lava. I think it's just about there so yay. Yay to the two lands also.

✔️ Vampiric Tutor yay - 3 nay - 0
Profane Tutor yay - 1 nay - 2
Commune with Lava yay - 2 nay - 1
Luxury Suite yay - 2 nay - 0
Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance yay - 1 nay - 0
Takenuma, Abandoned Mire yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'll vote Profane out. Theres no way to break it here and we really don't need to go down that far for tutor effects. I'd take Gamble over it without a second look.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Vampiric Tutour has been confirmed in, and Profane Tutour has been a confirmed cut. I'll yay luxury suite for the confirm, and then yay the two channel lands.

For today's card, I'll go ahead and make the obvious pick of Inkmoth Nexus.

Commune with Lava yay - 2 nay - 1

Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance yay - 2 nay - 0
Takenuma, Abandoned Mire yay - 1 nay - 0

We have 63 cards in the list now, confirming these two cards would put us at 35 lands max. Is that too low? Should we cut these from here?

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

I'm going to nay both burning anger and commune in favor of suggesting Dark ritual. If our last nonland slot has to be either lava or anger, I'll recommend Bojuka Bog instead.

3drinks

I'll yay both the card, and the motion to replace the last two hanging votes with the clearly better for us Dark Rit.

Burning Anger yay - 2 nay - 2
Commune with Lava yay - 2 nay - 2
Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance yay - 2 nay - 0
Takenuma, Abandoned Mire yay - 1 nay - 0
Bojuka Bog yay - 1 nay - 0
Motion to remove Burning Anger and Commune with Lava from this list in favor of Dark Ritual yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

duducrash
Still Learning

Yay on Inkmoth Nexus

30 bucks its kinda wild. I'll have to check my decks because I have some arround. It's even more wild to see it got to 40

3drinks

Dang it, Hammer time. Stupid meme deck that got good and made people remember infect isn't so fringe. Wonder why it's never been reprinted.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”