Chun-Li: Senretsukyaku Spellslinger

Uncle_Krupi
Snow Creature—Human Scientist
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 1 month ago

Chun-Li: Senretsukyaku Spellslinger

banner chun-li 01.jpg

A draw-go Azorius deck. Attack people and fling efficient, high-value spells at them until they die. Modular counterspells remain useful in combat. Most effective way to keep Chun safe is "return to hand" effects so you can recast her and store more spells. As always, input is appreciated and I hope you enjoy.

Moxfield link: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3Wdtli8yE060lQpzCVPkFg

Senretsukyaku Spellslinger

Enchantments (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deck Overview

While this deck is built with Chun-Li, Countless Kicks (Zethi, Arcane Blademaster) in mind, she is not at all your standard voltron commander and the deck does not solely rely on her. Instead it will run like most Azorius draw-go control decks, with Chun being a good mid- to late-game option for finishing your plate. While she is an asset, the deck functions on its own if she gets taxed ino the ceiling.

When to cast your commander. Chun's official CMC is only 3 but this is irrelevant. I typically want to cast her with 6 mana open: 2 mana to multikick two spells and one spare mana for protection, whether that's a Swan Song to counter removal, Light the Way to return her to hand, or spare mana to immediately equip Swiftfoot Boots or Winged Boots.

Ideally you want a good mixture of effects to exile with lightning legs: at minimum I look for one removal/bounce spell (e.g. Swords to Plowshares or Cyclonic Rift) and one buff spell (e.g. Flare of Faith or Akroma's Will). I'm especially fond of You Come to a River as it has both effects in one. If you have enough in the way of lands, repeatable Enlightened Tutor or Mystical Tutor are excellent fuel.

It's possible you might simply cast Chun without the kicker at all and instead attack with a sword for card advantage instead, which is fine, especially if you draw into something to bounce her back to hand, or cost reducers to offset the commander tax if she's killed. I've been known to immediately start swinging with her and a Sword of the Animist, and after being able to Mystical Tutor into a Light the Way to get her back to hand without missing a beat.

Ideal protection. An important way of protecting Chun-Li is through return-to-hand effects as opposed to blink or indestructibility as this allows you to accumulate more spells upon casting and keeps her casting cost to 3 CMC otherwise. Mass-bounce is very benificial. Options to bounce creatures are also common in the modular spells.

Toolbox spells are important to give you the most options possible when exiling cards with Chun's multikicker ability. Cards like Confounding Riddle and You Find the Villains' Lair allow you to counter spells while leaving aggressive options for Chun on attack as well.

Flash it back. Chun does not exile that many spells in a given game, so there is nothing wrong with recursion: if you need to recast the spell now do it, even if it exiles the spell: you never know what's going to happen in the mean time.

banner chun-li 02.jpg

Piloting the Deck

Early game. You'll be spending the early game playing draw-go, establishing your board dealing with any nuisances and hopefully spitting out some blockers / edict fodder. A single Monastery Mentor can bait out wraths and removal.

It's important to fill the yard somewhat in the early game, so don't be too picky about when to cast your instants. Tolarian Winds and Otherworldly Gaze are nice options for this. If you draw a buff spell without a creature of your own, offer to buff an opponent's creature if they don't attack you. Scroll Rack also helps ensure an early hand of cost-reducers and mana rocks, followed by your midgame options. I've even just drawn cards past 7 and discarded good instants on the cleanup phase, though this obviously isn't ideal. In general, drawing & discarding is preferable to surveilling or similar as there are several cards that cue specifically off drawing.

Mid-Late Game. If you can get away with not casting Chun until after the first wrath or two, great. Maybe you've set up an engine with Monastery Mentor or Talrand, Sky Summoner. Perhaps you're swinging with a double-striking Halvar, God of Battle. Either way, it's important not to overplay your hand and to bait out those wraths/removal: the more you do, the freer you'll be to swing with a decked-out Chun-Li in the later game.

Lands

As I write this I'm running a tight 34 lands: the mana curve is low to the ground and the deck can usually climb out of a land deficit with its numerous mana rocks, cost-reducers, one-mana fixers like Brainstorm, library restackers like Scroll Rack and windfallers like Tolarian Winds. That said if you're deathly afraid of being mana screwed you may want to bring this up to 35 lands.

Nonbasic lands include: Kor Haven to protect yourself in case you're not spitting out enough tokens or gaining enough life; Daru Encampment and Fortified Beachhead as extra buffs for Chun-Li in the land slot. As the deck has access to abilities like lifelink and double strike, even minor buffs can be important, especially for commander damage. That said, this deck is pretty coloured-mana-hungry so I keep the colourless lands to a bare minimum.

Specific Cards
  • Brainstorm / Scroll Rack and library shufflers (e.g. saclands, tutors, Wayfarer's Bauble): if you see both at the same time, make sure to cast Brainstorm/Rack first to see what you have coming up: you may not want to shuffle it away.
  • Muddle the Mixture: A good early play with MtM is Baral, Chief of Compliance, who provides an early body to carry swords and cheapens your spells. If you don't need the body, Sapphire Medallion is excellent. If you have a whole hand of instants to exile with Chun, you can just bin them all with Tolarian Winds and draw a new hand, with the instants ready to go for exiling. If you just got stacked with finishers, Scroll Rack. Ready to beat face? Boots for protection, Leering Emblem for power. Also, guess what? MtM is a half decent counterspell!
  • Leering Emblem is currently my go-to equipment for raw power output. I initially found cards like Glamdring and Runechanter's Pike to be surprisingly disappointing as Chun-Li exiles the spells she needs, however the more discard/surveil you run like Windfall and Tolarian Winds, the more viable they are. I'm still waffling between these two options.

Budget Cuts
  • Sapphire Medallion is obviously very nice in a storm-style deck but can be replaced with another mana rock
  • Scroll Rack is one of those cards that makes almost any deck better but can be replaced with another spell-based fixer for Chun to exile
  • Aetherflux Reservoir is a nice card and an easy way to upjump the deck's kill potential, but isn't mandatory
  • Cyclonic Rift: replace with another boomerang
  • Sea Gate Restoration: replace with a land

Budget Additions

Anyone spare $150 for an Intuition?

Change Log
Last edited by Uncle_Krupi 2 weeks ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

Uncle_Krupi

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 2 weeks ago

Despite being a Timmy set, Thunder Junction offered some surprisingly nice cards for Azorius draw-go control.

:check: Final Showdown -- Insane value. Protect Chun, neuter blockers, and have a wrath on a stick to boot. Wonderful.
:check: Thunderclap Drake -- Another discounter, decent sword-carrier, still retrievable by Muddle the Mixture. In an ideal situation I won't be casting Chun more than once and the spells themselves are relatively low-impact. Nonetheless I'll playtest it in place of Baral.
:check: Three Steps Ahead -- Pretty much a straight upgrade to You Find the Villains' Lair.

:question: Requisition Raid -- One of my favourite new art/ench hate cards, though the ones I have are slightly more relevant to Chun specifically. Will definitely include if I feel I need more art/ench hate.
:question: Jem Lightfoote, Sky Explorer -- Great sword carrier that's likely to trigger most turns, except her own obviously. Problem is I sometimes want to use spells off my hand to cast multiple spells per turn, e.g. Rammas Echor, Ancient Shield. Disappointing late game draw.
:question: Geralf, the Fleshwright -- Another slightly cheaper Talrand with nonflying but potentially bigger tokens, very nice. Not sure how often I'll be getting 3/3s or 4/4s though.
:question: Marauding Sphinx -- The deck loves to surveil and easily commits crimes, however the finisher slots are competitive.
:question: Fleeting Reflection -- Initially overlooked this card but the more I stare at it the better it seems. Instant protection, untap and the potential to become a huge body for more commander damage.
:question: Forger's Foundry -- High risk high reward. Would be unfortunate if it got destroyed with too many spells exiled.
:question: Rustler Rampage -- Untap and/or double strike, are both good, but removal/unblockable are better to keep Chun safe.

Changes

Valorous StanceFinal Showdown
Baral, Chief of ComplianceThunderclap Drake
Three Steps AheadYou Find the Villains' Lair

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 weeks ago

How has this played for you in games so far? I don't have much to add personally, as I'm not the most tuned in Commander pilot, and my group has largely moved on from voltron decks.

I do, however, find the deck theme entertaining. I played a lot of Street Fighter 2 back in the day.

Do you run into problems against token hordes, tax/stax, permission? With Chun-Li pretty much all you got, then it has to be enough, as it doesn't have much else for creature steam. Are there deck archetypes you struggle against?

Uncle_Krupi

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 2 weeks ago

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 weeks ago
How has this played for you in games so far? I don't have much to add personally, as I'm not the most tuned in Commander pilot, and my group has largely moved on from voltron decks.
Thanks for the reply and cool to see another Appleseed fan, Boros_Blendo. When I find the time I should add some comments about this to the OP.

Moving away from voltron is understandable in higher level, multiplayer tables as they can be very telegraphed in the way that they play. This is why I don't make the deck too dependent on Chun-Li: it plays mostly like an Azorius control deck that breaks peoples' backs with removal while pecking away with Talrand drakes or Mentor monks, perhaps a double-striking Halvar, God of Battle a 4/4 or 5/5 Niblis of Frost, etc.. All of these are plenty threatening to decks if you're keeping the board clear with wraths or repeatedly blowing up their Grave Pacts. You generally have what you need since there are a fair few tutor cards here to get what you need.

If your meta has particular problem decks, you can always make adjustments. More mass-bounce like Raise the Palisade is useful against token decks and give you more re-casts for Chun. If stax is an issue, more redundancy on art/ench hate is useful to remove the problem cards, as is more token generation like Talrand's sister Alandra, Sky Dreamer.

If you're concerned there aren't more blatant wincons, cards like Approach of the Second Sun or Sphinx-Bone Wand are candidates, though I've noticed winning too often with Second Sun can cause you to get dogpiled since people start to expect a win out of nowhere rather than just being pecked do death while fighting through your removal and card advantage.

Hope this helps answer your question! All of this said I'm hardly a cEDH player and I'm sure I'm missing ways to make this deck more reliable, so as always advice is appreciated.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 2 weeks ago

Because the first time you cast her you are probably only exiling 1-2 cards, it's quality and not quantity of spells that I'm thinking.
The low hanging fruit is extra turn cards. If Chun-Li has any type of ongoing evasion thats GG.

I would play as many additional mana instant/sorcery so that you can start stringing together more .. kicks.
High Tide, Dramatic Reversal, Turnabout.
My instincts would be to leverage these and you're existing Snap, Frantic Search with High Tide and really skew the deck towards Islands and blue.
Spellseeker gets Ephemerate. Spellseeker triggers twice to get High Tide and say Snap.
Now you have the means to really cast your bigger kick spells in that attack phase while also returning Chun-Li to kick other card(s).
I'd play Merchant Scroll, Solve the Equation for these sequences.

Chain of Vapor is an easy include.

One thing I did think that is pretty neat with Chun-Li is that you can get around the exile rule of cards, but specifically for Teferi's Protection.
You would need to discard/mill Teferi's Protection in order to be able to kick it, rather than casting it naturally.
If you combine this with Grand Abolisher or Myrel, Shield of Argive then it's very hard for your opponents to ever effect your board and ability to cast spells in your turn. I'm not saying to play this, but she is one of the very few ways of being able to cast Teferi's Protection every turn.

I do like the idea of Path to Exile your own token creatures each turn, you could add Poppet Stitcher.

Cards I think are not that good in deck Tribute Mage, Silent Arbiter, Boon-Bringer Valkyrie, Kairi, the Swirling Sky, Scroll Rack, Aetherflux Reservoir, Rammas Echor, Ancient Shield, Ardent Plea, Tolarian Winds.

Uncle_Krupi

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 3 days ago

darrenhabib, thank you so much for the effortful reply. This is my first attempt at an Azorius control deck and it probably shows, your experience is really appreciated.
darrenhabib wrote:
2 weeks ago
The low hanging fruit is extra turn cards. If Chun-Li has any type of ongoing evasion thats GG.
I love the idea of extra turns being GG but only Nexus of Fate is an Instant and it doesn't sit in the graveyard. Honestly there don't seem to be many big instants that aren't counterspells, I can see Commence the Endgame and Elminster's Simulacrum being decent candidates?
So this is an example where I haven't run these old staples and don't have a full idea how they end up playing in practice, so perhaps I'm underestimating them. In my mind, if I'm only exiling one or two cards at a time, would it be safe to run cards like these when they just durdle on their own? Plus with the deck so low to the ground, I would have to look at adding a solid handful of bigger instants to make sure I take advantage of the surplus mana.
Good ones. Will include somewhere.
A very neat interaction, though I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out for a Protection at the moment!
I was concerned with the deck not having enough finishers, hence Kairi, Reservoir and the Valkyrie. Does a deck like this really not depend on flying bodies to finish people off? Note that my main focus is not Commander damage since 21 damage x 4 people is unfeasable. Again, maybe High Tide/Turnabout shenanigans win games better than I realize, I'm just having trouble seeing it.

A few specifics
Scroll Rack -- Yeah much as it saves my bacon sometimes it's hit or miss in this deck
Reservoir -- Same, hit or miss, just seemed like a wincon in a deck that risks pecking at people too lightly, you know?
Ardent Plea -- Nice power boost to Chun and a lot of important results, but was on the chopping block as it still flips a counterspell occasionally
Tolarian Winds -- I dunno man I love this card. Fills my yard with juicy instants for Chun while (hopefully) replacing them with meat in the mean time. I'm rarely unhappy seeing this card.
Rammas Echor -- Spits out tokens, buffs Chun, reliable to trigger, I've found this card quite strong.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 days ago

Dig Through Time is the biggest instant :D probably worth playin despite the slight nonbo.

Dies kick counter stuff work with Said // Done to let you return a Time Warp from the bin? looks like so

Mystical Tutor for Nexus of Fate feels like probably easier and better though :D

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 days ago

Uncle_Krupi wrote:
3 days ago
So this is an example where I haven't run these old staples and don't have a full idea how they end up playing in practice, so perhaps I'm underestimating them. In my mind, if I'm only exiling one or two cards at a time, would it be safe to run cards like these when they just durdle on their own? Plus with the deck so low to the ground, I would have to look at adding a solid handful of bigger instants to make sure I take advantage of the surplus mana.
Looking at your artifact mana Dramatic Reversal isn't going to be good enough yet.
But High Tide is going to be a key card to really unlock your decks potential, but you do have to skew your deck towards Islands and subsequently more blue cards to support that sort of mana base.
I was concerned with the deck not having enough finishers, hence Kairi, Reservoir and the Valkyrie. Does a deck like this really not depend on flying bodies to finish people off? Note that my main focus is not Commander damage since 21 damage x 4 people is unfeasable. Again, maybe High Tide/Turnabout shenanigans win games better than I realize, I'm just having trouble seeing it.
I'm from the school of get your deck working how you design it and winning will just happen naturally. And yeah this is all without Chun-Li actually dealing damage, as long as you get to cast a bunch of instants that give you tempo. You eventually get an overwhelming lock on advantages that your opponents will lose.
If you are not casting a bunch of kick instants, then that means that Chun Li has been removed and you'll want to be casting her with Commander tax for the turn. My point being that there will be no games where you actually want to be casting Kairi in the face of "nothing else to do".
The Monastery Mentor and Talrand, Sky Summoner can apply real pressure to finish games, once you are setup.

Scroll Rack is a great card but doesn't look very good in your deck. This card shines when you have ways to shuffle library or top of deck matters, and you don't have many of either of those. Land Tax and fetchlands (Prismatic Vista, Arid Mesa, etc) make the card much better. Of note Land Tax would make Tolarian Winds better. Also Tithe as an instant works into this. You've changed my mind on Tolarian Winds.

Just with all the cards I mentioned to cut, they seem clunky compared to what else you can do to get an engine going, i.e. High Tide, etc, so giving you options is all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”