January MCC Round 4 - The Winning Formula

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Ryder
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ryder » 4 months ago

(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Learn from the Past by Chase Stone.)

January MCC Round 4

The Winning Formula

"Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do."
—Pele

Main Challenge - Design two cards forming a game-winning combo.

Subchallenge 1 - Both of your cards are Common or Uncommon.

Subchallenge 2 - If you play a game against your opponents, you go first and each of you draws only basic lands and your two cards, you always win.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main challenge:
Heliod, Sun-Crowned + Walking Ballista
Deceiver Exarch + Splinter Twin
Devoted Druid + Quillspike
etc

Subchallenge #1
Self-explanatory.

Subchallenge #2
The challenge basically means "you combo off first and win". Assume you draw both of your cards + any five basic lands and you keep drawing basic lands.
If your card would make you search your library, assume you fail to find anything. Assume you own no cards outside the game. You can't rely on other cards. Just the two you design here.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, January 27th 2024, 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, January 30th 2024, 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

PLAYERS
@Caspernicus
@Freyleyes
@Subject16

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 3 months ago

Flickerblight Geode 2C
Legendary Artifact (R)
: Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. That creature enters the battlefield with two -1/-1 counters. Activate only as a sorcery.
One touch will send a person flying through the Blind Eternities, only to return missing a portion of themselves.

Private Saboteur ub
Creature — Human Rogue (R)
Flash
Deathtouch
When Private Saboteur enters the battlefield or attacks, tap target permanent an opponent controls. Each opponent loses 1 life.
When Private Saboteur dies, you may return it to the battlefield transformed under an opponent's control.
1/1
///
Undercover Agent
(UB) Creature — Human Citizen
When Undercover Agent enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each combat, tap target untapped permanent you control. If you do, each opponent untaps a permanent they control.
If Undercover Agent would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
Faking his death was the easy part.
2/2
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

Freyleyes
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Freyleyes » 3 months ago

Card 1:

Putrid Scavenger 0
Creature — Phyrexian Germ {U}
When Putrid Scavenger enters the battlefield, you may attach target Equipment you control with equip cost 3 or less to Putrid Scavenger.
When Putrid Scavenger dies, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
0/0

Card 2:

Altar of Blood 2BB
Artifact {U}
TXX: Return target creature with mana value X from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever a creature you control dies, untap Altar of Blood and you lose 1 life.
A bond is forged, in blood, for it demands blood, blood of the living and blood of the dying.
Last edited by Freyleyes 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 months ago

Aether Hoarder BB
Creature — Aetherborn Vampire (U)
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you get (an energy counter).
Pay : Aether Hoarder gains indestructible until end of turn. Tap it.
"They say you can't take it with you. I say don't expect me to leave it behind."
2/3

Necrogen Plaguelord 4B
Artifact Creature — Phyrexian Horror (U)
Toxic 2 (Players dealt combat damage by this creature also get two poison counters.)
Whenever you put one or more counters on a permanent or player, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
There is no mercy in the Dross Pits. If you don't succumb to phyresis, you will to the fumes.
3/5

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 months ago

The round is closed
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
3 months ago
Flickerblight Geode 2C
Legendary Artifact (R)
: Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. That creature enters the battlefield with two -1/-1 counters. Activate only as a sorcery.
One touch will send a person flying through the Blind Eternities, only to return missing a portion of themselves.

Private Saboteur ub
Flash
Deathtouch
When Private Saboteur enters the battlefield or attacks, tap target permanent an opponent controls. Each opponent loses 1 life.
When Private Saboteur dies, you may return it to the battlefield transformed under an opponent's control.
1/1
///
Undercover Agent
When Undercover Agent enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each combat, tap target untapped permanent you control. If you do, each opponent untaps a permanent they control.
If Undercover Agent would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
2/2
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Both Geode and the Saboteur/Agent are strong Johnny/Spike cards. Johnny is here for the incredible combos, Spike for the incredible package of removal and protection in one colorless card and a tricky yet solid 2 mana beater. There are no inherently big plays here, so Timmy is not interested.
(2/3) Elegance - Several multi-part and unusual effects on both cards make them quite hard to understand. I totally missed the combo during the first three or four reads!

Development
(2/3) Viability - Legendary Rare is a good choice for the Geode. It is absolutely wrong however to put such strong White and Black effects on a colorless card. The agent sits well in Blue-Black the abilities use both colors; Rare is fine here as well.
(1/3) Balance - This is where things truly go south. 3 mana COLORLESS repeatable Disfigure? Yes I know it retriggers etb effects but it doesn't matter. It even costs 0 to activate. And on top of that, you can also use it to save your bigger creatures. Crazy strong. As for the Agent, on the front side, it's a flash deathtoucher that is also a Chrome Prowler with effective power 2 on attack. That is slightly pushed, but fine, says Dire Fleet Poisoner. The back side is a free untap effect every turn that puts it over the top. You can't get this much goodness for 2 mana!

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I see a lot of uncommon/new concepts here. ETB and attack trigger, Transform / Donate on death, exile and return a weakened version - you have outdone yourself here.
(3/3) Flavor - The Geode feels great, both the name and the flavor text fit the effects well. Sabouteur/Agent resonates nicely as well and the card is exquisitely well crafted as a whole, Vorthos and Mel are both delighted.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Geode: "That creature enters the battlefield with two -1/-1 counters ON IT". Saboteur: Evil Presents says it should be "return it to the battlefield transformed under TARGET opponent's control".
(2/2) Main Challenge - Met with flying colors! What a combo...
(1/2) Subchallenges - It goes off on turn 3, that is early...

Total: 18/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
3 months ago
Putrid Scavenger 0
When Putrid Scavenger enters the battlefield, you may attach target Equipment you control with equip cost 3 or less to Putrid Scavenger.
0/0

Altar of Blood 2BB
Artifact {U}
A bond is forged, in blood, for it demands blood, blood of the living and blood of the dying.
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Putrid Scavenger alone would get a resounding 0/3, it's a 0 mana drain one. Its ETB effect can't save it from dying before the ability resolves. Altar of Blood is a through and through Spike card with it being a card advantage engine and a life cost as a somewhat balancing factor, but could interest Johnny as well, adding resiliency to his creature combo pieces. I'd give this one a 2/3. 1/3 on average.
(2/3) Elegance - Creatures dying as a state-based action (as opposed to an Evoke-like effect) is pretty ugly. Altar of Blood reads and plays without problems.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Black caring for low cost Equipment is a slight bend. Life drain is good in Black and at uncommon is the right rarity for the Scavenger - could be ok (if it functioned) in a set with lots of cheap equipment cards. Altar of Blood is Rare material though. This is pure card advantage and gets very risky with the unavoidable life loss. Reminiscent of Bitterblossom. Additional -0.5 for subchallenge greed.
(3/3) Balance - The Scavenger is almost useless (read: extremely conditional) on its own, which is okay'ish for a card costing . The Altar appears to me as a fixed Bitterblossom, which is very good. Double X limits its reanimation capabilities, but you still lose life when your critters die.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - "Equipment with Equip cost..." is something new in a good way. Double X is always good to see when implemented properly. The only existing Black card featuring it is Plaguebearer! Everything else is known stuff.
(2/3) Flavor - Putrid Scavenger is perfect, I can picture it crawling through a battlefield looking for gear to latch onto. I think you could have fit some flavor text there. Altar of Blood is an uninspired name and a small letdown, it has such an evokative effect.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - The Scavenger doesn't function as-is. Its first ability should be "As Putrid Scavenger enters the battlefield, you may attach an Equipment...". Then, you're trying to apply the concept of mana value to ability costs, except there is no reminder text for what this "Equip (capital E!) cost 3" means exactly. Would Mirran Bardiche work here? Many players would think it does. Altar of Blood's tap ability cost should be XX, T.
(1/2) Main Challenge - Met.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Uncommons, but you would lose to Caspernicus!

Total: 15/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 months ago
Aether Hoarder BB
Lifelink
"They say you can't take it with you. I say don't expect me to leave it behind."
2/3
Necrogen Plaguelord 4B
Toxic 2 (Players dealt combat damage by this creature also get two poison counters.)
Whenever you put one or more counters on a permanent or player, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
There is no mercy in the Dross Pits. If you don't succumb to phyresis, you will to the fumes.
3/5
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Aether Hoarder is a Johnny/Spike card for the energy generation and the built-in protection, Necrogen Plaguelord also makes a case for Timmy, offering an epic blowout if you have a bunch of creatures and place counters on each of them.
(3/3) Elegance - Both cards are clear and understandable.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Nothing wrong with Aether Hoarder, Black is known for caring about life gain and indestructible at EEE is fine at Uncommon, especially with the tap effect. I'm slightly torn considering Necrogen Plaguelord. On one hand he isn't that big of a threat alone. On the other, the effect can get quite oppressive which is not something you want to do at Uncommon. And it also cares about yourself and your own creatures. BG would be a better fit, this query appears to confirm it.
(2.5/3) Balance - Gifted Aetherborn says the Vampire is alright. The Horror is much harder to judge, single B hurts it. The above applies here as well.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Both cards mostly use known mechanics. Energy-based indestructible is unusual and interesting. Reacting to counters being put on permanents is surprisingly unique, it's like a wilder sibling of a proliferate trigger found on Scheming Aspirant.
(3/3) Flavor - Both cards resonate well. Aether Hoarder clearly references the Reclaim stage of The Aether Cycle. Necrogen Plaguelord is a classic Black Phyrexian. Love them both.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Perfect.
(1/2) Main Challenge - Met. A simple infinite combo with both pieces triggering each other.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Uncommons, but this goes off on turn 5.

Total: 20/25
Results
Show
Hide
Caspernicus: 18
Freyleyes: 15
Subject16: 20
Last edited by Ryder 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 months ago

Judgments complete. (You might have read something here before. It was an unintended lie, please just pretend I never wrote anything that might have been here before. I never wrote that. No, I wouldn't pass an Azorius verity circle here... anyway, there is nothing to see here now, so if you're reading this you can and should ignore it and just move on.)

I have fixed all typos I could find. I apologize for any ones that I didn't catch.
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
3 months ago
Flickerblight Geode 2C
Legendary Artifact (R)

Private Saboteur ub
Flash
Deathtouch
1/1
///
Undercover Agent
2/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Of course, this is Johnny's round, and all three submissions manage to make him want to go brewing immediately. Specifically to this one, Timmy doesn't care about the Geode, while Spike likes a lot the skill required to understand when it's good to activate on your own creatures as blinking or on your opponents' ones as removal. Timmy likes a lot the idea of the Saboteur faking his own death only to infiltrate enemy lines, I'm just not sure how much he likes this particular execution of the Agent specifically. Spike likes a lot the mana efficiency of the Saboteur in particular.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The Geode has a nice tension by pairing together what's usually a positive effect (blinking) with a downside (the -1/-1 counters). No problems with the Saboteur. The Agent is counterintuitive until you realize that "under your opponent's control" that swaps the meaning of "you" and "each opponent". If that detail managed to fool a very enfranchised player like me, I can only imagine how much it could be confusing to less experienced players. That's the only real problem here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - More than colorless, the Geode feels white-black or blue-black to me. It could have easily been blue-black just like the other card, keeping the combo in two colors. The Geode needs to be rare because it can be activated for free, the Saboteur // Agent for complexity, so rarities are correct on both cards in my opinion. No problems with the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - I see no problems with the Saboteur // Agent. Playable in limited and might also have constructed implications, while costs and rate look good, potentially strong but not as much as to be broken. I'm a little worried by the lack of a mana component in the activation cost of the Geode. Yes, no mana component being there is necessary for the combo to work, but while this combo looks safe, I wonder if this could also open the gates to unhealthy combos. The Geode is also playable in limited and potentially in constructed too. The lack of a mana component in the activation cost is very appealing for constructed especially, and in both categories it's nice how this can turn from "blink your own creature but at a cost" to "kill a creature an opponent controls with toughness 2 or less." I see no problems with either card in casual of multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Default is 1.5. Nothing really new on the Geode, I'd say the -1/-1 counters after blinking aren't worth a bonus by themselves. Instead, +0.5 for that "under an opponent's control" that fooled both me and Ryder at first. As for me, I think I fell into the trap because we are all so used to cards returning things "under its owner's control" or "under your control" that my eyes read that part correctly visually, but my brain went with its own intuition just out of habit. It went something like: "Oh yeah, of course, you get it back! I got it, Leo, you can go on reading the card." (Picture that like when in The Simpsons the camera zooms in on Homer's forehead and we hear his own brain talking.) It's not unprecedented, but there aren't actually that many cards that return themselves "under an opponent's control". For the Agent, +0.5 for the first ability also actually working against your first intuition ("I have to tap a permanent and let my opponent untap one of theirs? Why would I ever want to do that?"). That's of course until you realize that "you" on the Agent means "your opponent" and "each opponent" means "you".
Flavor 3/3 - Just perfect for both cards. The flavor text on the Geode is very well written in my opinion, and the Agent's one manages to tell a whole story with a single sentence. You're correct that there is no room for flavor text on the Saboteur (I checked in MSE), so that's not a problem.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the Geode, it should be "...with two -1/-1 counters on it." (-0.5) All the rest is good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - So, it goes like this: you have the Geode and the Saboteur on the battlefield at the same time and the Geode is untapped. This is the initial state, and the one we need to go back to to be able to turn it into a loop. You have priority, it's your main phase, and the stack is empty, so you could cast a sorcery. You tap the Geode to blink the Saboteur. That triggers the ETB of the Saboteur, that waits to be put on the stack the next time a player would receive priority, which will be in a while but remember that. Blinking it with the Geode also means that the Saboteur reenters the battlefield with two -1/-1 counters, which cause the Saboteur to become a -1/-1. A player is now about to receive priority, so before that we have to check SBAs (triggers would be put on the stack after SBAs are done so we're not there yet). SBAs see a creature with toughness 0 or less (the -1/-1 Saboteur), so they put the Saboteur into your graveyard from the battlefield, aka the Saboteur dies, which triggers its own death trigger, that also waits to be put onto the stack the next time a player would receive priority. The ETB trigger is still waiting as well. SBAs are checked again in loop until there are none, and there are no other ones now, so the second check is good and we can move on. After SBAs, but still before the player receives priority, it's time to put triggers that are waiting onto the stack. That happens in APNAP order, but the only two waiting triggers are both yours (the ETB and death trigger of the Saboteur), so you get to choose in which order they go onto the stack. You choose the target for the ETB at this time, as you actually put it onto the stack. That target must and will be a permanent an opponent controls. The death trigger has no targets. The relative order in which you put the two triggers onto the stack looks irrelevant to me in this specific case, but might be relevant in other cases so pay attention to that anyway if you ever deal with something like this again. After the two triggers have been put onto the stack, the active player (you) finally receives priority. Let's assume a priority pass by all players. The topmost object on the stack resolves, that's whichever of the two triggers has been put onto the stack later. If it's the ETB, you will tap the targeted permanent and each opponent will lose 1 life at this time. If it's the death trigger, the Agent enters the battlefield from the graveyard under an opponent's control, NOT yours! This detail is what both I and Ryder missed at first, and it's key for this combo to work as you will see in a moment. After that first trigger, whichever one it is, has finished resolving, there is another SBA check, then put waiting triggers on the stack (assume none of both), then you get priority again. Assume another priority pass by everyone, so the topmost object of the stack resolves, and it's the other trigger, whichever it is. After that has finished resolving as well, both effects have happened, and the Agent will have entered the battlefield (on an opponent's side), which triggers its own ETB, which waits to be put on the stack. After whatever the second resolving trigger was, before you get priority again we have to check SBAs (assume none), then we have to put waiting triggers on the stack. The Agent's ETB goes on the stack now, but who controls it? The Agent has entered the battlefield under an opponent's control, so that opponent is the controller of the Agent's ETB, so all instances of the word "you" in that ability actually refer to your opponent! As they control the ETB trigger, they (and NOT you) choose targets for it now. There is only one target for them to choose: an untapped permanent "you" (aka your opponent) controls. Notice that the ability says "untapped", so they have to target something of theirs that is actually untapped. As that's the only target of the ability, if they control no untapped permanents, not even lands, it might look like they won't be able to choose a target, but they always can as if all other permanents of theirs are tapped, the Agent is now conveniently under their control and untapped, so they can choose the Agent itself if they have no other untapped permanents, so that's not an actual problem and will always work. Anyway, once the target has been chosen and the ability put onto the stack, you (the active player) get priority. Again, assume everybody passes priority, so the topmost (and only) object on the stack resolves, and it's the Agent's ETB. Now they actually tap the untapped permanent of theirs that they targeted, and now, on resolution, "each opponent" of the controller of that ability, which is your opponent, so that actually means "each of your opponent's opponents", which obviously and relevantly includes you, untaps one of theirs, including YOU untapping one of yours! You must choose to untap the Geode here to be able to start the loop again eventually, after all of this is over (we're getting there). And look! The Geode is untapped now! Again, this is what I and Ryder missed at first. After that ability resolves, we check SBAs (assume none), triggers that are waiting (assume none), and then you get priority again. You now have an untapped Geode and your opponent has the Agent on the battlefield. You tap the Geode again targeting the Agent on their side, and you're essentially back to square one. You've made a loop with the net result of making each opponent of yours lose 1 life. The Agent's pseudo-flashback replacement effect has nothing to say about the Geode wanting to blink it, as it's going to exile and not to a graveyard, so it doesn't intervene at all. And as the Agent gets exiled during the blink it goes back to its front face, so it will be the Saboteur again in the exile zone, and you can repeat everything from the point when the Saboteur reenters the blink onwards. You have a loop that causes the event of "each opponent losing 1 life" to happen an arbitrarily large amount of times, enough to win in all formats, even the ones that start at a higher life total (30 life in 2HG, 40 life in Commander). This is definitely enough to qualify for the Main Challenge, and the approach to it has been so creative that you managed to fool both judges at first, including one (me) that's been playing Magic continuously for almost 20 years by now. As soon as I caught our mistake, I sent a pm to Ryder to tell him, and in his very first reply he himself wrote back to me something like "not only that's not a DQ, that's a 2/2 in Main Challenge!" Who am I to deny that?
Subchallenges 1/2 - Both rare cards, aka not common or uncommon. In the free-for-all 3-player game, you combo off in your turn 3 (you played the Saboteur on turn 2 and on turn 3 you play the Geode and immediately use it). Very convenient that if you "only draw basic lands", that includes Wastes to give you the colorless mana to cast the Geode on turn 3. Freyleyes wouldn't combo off until their turn 4 (they need the Altar on the battlefield), and Subject16 until their turn 5 (they need the Plaguelord on the battlefield). So yes, if you go first, you will always be the one who combos off first, winning every time.
TOTAL 20.5/25

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
3 months ago
Card 1:

Putrid Scavenger 0
0/0

Card 2:

Altar of Blood 2BB
Artifact {U}
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Of course, this is Johnny's round, and all three submissions manage to make him want to go brewing immediately. Specifically to this one, Timmy just doesn't care about either card. Yes, he can make the Scavenger survive by giving it some Equipment... What's that, Spike? Oh, you want to give a suggestion to Timmy! Yeah, go ahead, Spike! Might I suggest Swords? Ok, of course you had to immediately think about those... I'm amazed the Scavenger being a Germ didn't make you think about Batterskull... Who says I wasn't also thinking about that one? Ok, thanks, Spike, now would you please let me go on with the judgment? Yeah, of course! See you later, Leo! 'Later, Spike. Where were we? Oh, yeah, the Altar! Timmy likes to take his dead creatures into his hand to recast them, he just wishes they didn't die in the first place, so he could play another actual huge monster instead of this card. Spike sees it as potential card advantage, and she always likes that. Add the untapping and the life loss on top of that, and she's even more intrigued. That double X reads really bad to her though.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Reading 0/0 on the Scavenger with no direct bonus to its toughness will read bad to a lot of players. Even if it can pick up an Equipment to survive, just like Phyrexian Germs tend to do as living weapons, it still reads badly in my opinion, for sure it reads worse than it probably plays. No problems with the Altar.
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - The Scavenger gives all colors access to life drain, which is a core black ability. The Altar just screams black. I honestly think both cards should be rare: the Scavenger mostly because of comprehension issues, and the Altar for the potential for relevant card advantage and also for relevant combos (not just this particular one, but in general). I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 2/3 - A zero-mana creature like the Scavenger might be like playing with fire if you're not careful. Requiring a low cost Equipment to survive is probably enough of a hoop to jump through for it to be fine. The life drain looks minor enough as a one-shot effect to be on a card that any deck can play, but you also have to be careful with that. If you don't have enough Equipment for this to survive reliably in your limited deck, which will be the case most often, I'm not sure this would make the cut. In constructed you have all sorts of combos to build with it, so it's easier that the Scavenger might see play there. As for the Altar, I see no real problems in this area. The mana costs are high enough for it to be safe, and it's certainly more playable than the Scavenger in limited. In constructed, again, it's all mostly about combo decks exploiting the last ability, even though the potential card advantage is nice too. I see no problems in multiplayer. In casual, the Scavenger being a bit unintuitive in gameplay might make it not the most fun card ever.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Default is 1.5. +0.5 for the first ability of the Scavenger caring about equip cost rather than mana value. Nothing really new on the Altar.
Flavor 2.5/3 - MSE shows me there is plenty of room for flavor text on the Scavenger, but unfortunately there is none here. How could an "Altar of Blood" not ask for blood? And blood indeed it asks for in that bloody flavor text! No, ok, I can't do it. You win the challenge to say the word "blood" more times. I concede. But it's also very good flavor, and it shows very well just how insistently that altar is asking for blood.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - In the Altar, the activation cost should be written as "XX, T" (-0.5). In the graveyard there are no "creatures", there are "creature cards", so it should be "...Return target creature card with mana value X..." (-1 for functional mistake).
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - You need the Altar on the battlefield and the Scavenger either in your hand or in your graveyard. You will never use the Scavenger's first ability, as you actually want it to die to SBAs for having 0 toughness as much as possible. If you have the Scavenger in your hand, first send it to the graveyard by just casting it and letting SBAs do their job. By the way, that will already cause a 1 life drain as the Scavenger dies immediately. Given this, we can always start assuming that the Scavenger is in your graveyard anyway, so let's just do that. To start the loop, activate the Altar with X = 0, which you are always able to do as you can always pay 0 and the Altar is not a creature so it doesn't have summoning sickness. You can and will target the Scavenger card in your graveyard, as it definitely counts as having mana value 0 or less. Assuming all priority passes and no additional triggers on the stack, that ability resolves and returns the Scavenger to your hand. Now the Altar is tapped and the Scavenger is in your hand. As we said there are no additional triggers, the stack is now empty. If we assume that we are on your main phase, you can cast a spell at "sorcery speed", such as a creature spell without flash. So, cast the Scavenger normally for its mana cost of 0 and decline to attach an Equipment to it even if you have some that could qualify. The Scavenger is now a 0/0 on the battlefield, so SBAs will put it into your graveyard again, which counts as it dying. Its death causes both the last ability of the Scavenger itself AND the last ability of the Altar to trigger, waiting to be put onto the stack on the next possible occasion, but before we can do that we have to check SBAs again. Assume there are none. Now it's time for triggers that are waiting to be put onto the stack. That would happen in APNAP order, but here you control both triggers, so you can put them on the stack in whichever order you prefer. It's now, as you put the Scavenger's ability on the stack, that you choose an opponent to be the target for it. The order you choose for the triggers doesn't look relevant to me in this case, but it might be in some other cases, so always keep an eye on that. After we've put both triggers on the stack, you (the active player, you must be the active player because you cast a creature without flash, which you can only do on your turn) finally get priority. Let's assume everyone passes priority and that there are no additional SBAs or triggers. Then, the topmost object on the stack resolves, which will be whichever one of the two triggers you've put on top of the other. If it's the Scavenger's, the targeted opponent will be drained for 1 life now. If it's the Altar's, you will untap the Altar and lose 1 life. After the first of the two triggers has finished resolving, we check SBAs (assume none), then put waiting triggers on the stack (assume none), then you get priority. Again, let's assume everyone passes priority and there are no SBAs or additional triggers. The topmost object on the stack will resolve now, and that's the other of the two triggers from before. If it's the Scavenger's, which means that you resolved the Altar's trigger before it, the targeted opponent will be drained for 1 now, gaining you back the 1 life you had lost to the Altar as you untapped it during the resolution of the previous trigger, effectively undoing the life loss from the Altar. If it's the Altar's, which means that you resolved the Scavenger's trigger before it, you will untap the Altar now and lose the 1 life that you gained from draining your opponent during the resolution of the previous trigger. The net result is the same anyway: the opponent that you targeted with the Scavenger's death trigger has lost 1 life, you're at the same life total as before, and you will have the Scavenger in your graveyard and an untapped Altar on the battlefield. You're back to square one. You can now activate the Altar for X = 0 and do it all again. On each iteration of this loop, an opponent will have lost 1 life. By repeating this loop an arbitrarily large amount of times, you will be able to take out all your opponents one by one, regardless of how high their life totals are, so having more life in some formats (30 in 2HG and 40 in Commander) is not a problem, and you will indeed be the last one standing, aka you win the game. I'm giving you a +0.5 for creative approach as you put in there an ability that's generally useful (the first ability of the Scavenger) but that you actually do NOT want to use for the loop to work.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Both uncommon. In the free-for-all 3-player game, you combo off in your turn 4 (you need the Altar on the battlefield). Caspernicus wouldn't combo off until their turn 3 (they need the Geode on the battlefield), and Subject16 until their turn 5 (they need the Plaguelord on the battlefield). So if you go first, Caspernicus will always be the one who combos off first, winning every time.
TOTAL 15.5/25

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 months ago
Aether Hoarder BB
Lifelink
2/3

Necrogen Plaguelord 4B
3/5
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Of course, this is Johnny's round, and all three submissions manage to make him want to go brewing immediately. Specifically to this one, Timmy likes the lifelink and built-in protection from removal of the Hoarder, while Spike really likes its mana efficiency: a relevant 2/3 for two mana with additional upside is exactly the kind of cards she likes best. It probably reminds her of Vampire Nighthawk in a way. As for the Plaguelord, Timmy likes a toxic creature with good power and toughness, while Spike appreciates that the life drain ability works with any kind of counters, so something as simple and common as +1/+1 counters is already enough for the card to be relevant. She, and especially if she's also a Mel on the aesthetic scale at the same time, also appreciates that toxic 2 will kill her opponent in an ordinary duel at the same rate as damage (4, of which 3 from the Plaguelord's power and 1 from the drain ability): 2/10 = 4/20. Yes, I am a big Mel myself. Don't worry, everything's fine.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - This is the one submission where I think that both cards are actually uncommon, so I can write it at least one time in these judgments: no problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - The Hoarder is pushed in my opinion, but not to the point of being broken. It's still a very high pick in limited and a very promising card for constructed, again, in my opinion. The Plaguelord is certainly playable in limited, especially in an environment like ONE (which I guess is where this card is supposed to be from). In constructed it might be tried in poison decks, and the drain ability has some very interesting constructed implications, but I still think that the lack of built-in evasion hurts for constructed playability even though it helps as a generic balancing factor for the card. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer, except maybe that some players might find poison a little unfun in general, but that's not your fault. We know that poison is a very polarizing mechanic, especially when it comes in the form of infect... I'm the camp who likes it though, by the way.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Default is 1.5. The Hoarder is nothing new. +0.5 for the Plaguelord's ability caring not just about poison on a card with toxic, but about any kind of counter that goes on a permanent or player, and there are a lot of that. You managed to make a poison-themed card that doesn't need to be in an all-in poison deck to work, and that's nice.
Flavor 3/3 - I'm a big fan of this submission being made up of two cards with very loud and well-done flavor but coming from two totally different planes, almost opposite: Kaladesh is a bright and creative world, New Phyrexia was (no spoilers about why I'm using the past tense here: if you've followed the story of the recent Phyrexian arc you know why I'm doing that) essentially the contrary, a bleak, dark, gross world, where you almost have no hope to escape alive and uncompleated. These two cards make an excellent mirror. The names and flavor texts are also very well done, and very appropriate to the plane each card comes from.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - This is the easiest of the three, and as it's the last one I'm writing, that feels good. This is essentially two triggered abilities triggering one another: the second ability of the Hoarder and the last ability of the Plaguelord. You can start the loop in two ways: you either gain some life (maybe thanks to the Hoarder having lifelink) or put a poison counter on one of your opponents with the Plaguelord's toxic ability. In the former case, the Hoarder's ability triggers, giving you an energy counter, which triggers the Plaguelord's ability, which drains each opponent for 1 making you gain 1 life, that 1 life gained triggers the Hoarder's ability again and so on. In the latter case, putting a poison counter on one of your opponents via toxic triggers the Plaguelord's own ability, which drains each opponent for 1 and makes you gain 1 life, the 1 life you've just gained triggers the Hoarder's ability, which gives you an energy counter, which triggers the Plaguelord's ability again and so on. The Hoarder gaining indestructible is not necessary for the loop to work. For each iteration of the loop, you will have gained one energy counter for yourself and you will have caused each opponent to lose 1 life. Repeat an arbitrarily large amount of times for "infinite" energy for yourself and "infinite" life loss for each opponent. That's enough even in formats with higher starting life totals (30 in 2HG, 40 in Commander). It's a very basic but effective combo. It certainly qualifies for the Main Challenge. I don't see the need for any creativity bonus tied to the extra ability that's not part of the combo, unlike what I did for Freyleyes's card, but in their case the additional ability is something usually positive for you but that you do NOT actually want to do to enter the loop. In your case, the fact that you're in the loop or not doesn't actually change the fact that the Hoarder gaining indestructible will always be a generally positive thing, it doesn't turn into something negative once you're in the loop. You do get a +0.5 bonus though for making a combo that manages to pair poison and energy, two kinds of counters that go on players and had never been paired like this before, at least as far as I know, and one that also works with other kinds of counters that go on players and that are not directly involved, like experience counters for example.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Both uncommon. In the free-for-all 3-player game, you combo off in your turn 5 (you need the Plaguelord on the battlefield). Caspernicus wouldn't combo off until their turn 3 (they need the Geode on the battlefield), and Freyleyes until their turn 4 (they need the Altar on the battlefield). So if you go first, Caspernicus will always be the one who combos off first, winning every time. You would actually be the one to combo off last, so even if you go on playing after Caspernicus wins, you'd always lose to Freyleyes anyway.
TOTAL 22/25

Results
Show
Hide
Subject16: 22
Caspernicus: 20.5
Freyleyes: 15.5
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”