Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 4 months ago

CCL January Signups/Round 1

"Far Havens"

Behold the Multiverse, illustrated by Magali Villeneuve
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

This is Planar month of CCL. This month, we'll focus on unexplored parts of Dominia aka known (or less known) multiverse.

Challenge
Design a card that belongs to one of the following planes: Xerex, Muraganda, Pyrulea, Wildfire, Gobakhan, Rabiah, Segovia, Equilor, Alkabah, Kephalai, Kyneth, Iquatana, Karsus, Kinshala, Azgol, Moag, Luvion, Belenon, Ergamon or Tolvada.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You may check MtG wiki to read about the plane or Scryfall tagger to know about already existing cards from the chosen plane.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, January 9th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 3 - 9)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 10 - 16)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 18)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (January 19 - 24)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due January 26)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 27-30)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 2)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Raptorchan 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 months ago

Abian Usurps Luvion
Enchantment — Saga
I — Create a 4/4 red and green Spirit creature token.
II — Draw two cards. Then discard a card unless you control a creature with power 4 or greater.
III — Exile this Saga, then return it to the battlefield transformed under your control.

//

Abian, Ferocious Tyrant
(Red and Green) Legendary Planeswalker — Abian
+2: Draw a card then, if you control a creature with power 4 or greater, draw a card. Discard a card.
-3: Abian, Ferocious Tyrant deals damage to target battle, creature, or planeswalker equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
-7: This turn, whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, Abian, Ferocious Tyrant deals that much damage to any target.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Keral Keep Ceremony XRRR
Enchantment {M}
Keral Keep Ceremony enters the battlefield with X meditation counters on it.
When Keral Keep Ceremony enters the battlefield, create X 1/1 red Monk creature tokens with prowess.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each meditation counter on Keral Keep Ceremony.
Regatha is the multiversal epicenter of the study and contemplation of fire.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Recall Figment 2U
Creature — Illusion (uncommon)
Flash
When Recall Figment enters the battlefield, shuffle a creature you control into its owners library. Then scry 2.
"To know the future, study the past." — Iquati proverb
2/2

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 months ago

Radial-leaf Treefolk 2GG
Creature - Treefolk Fractal (U)
Constrain 1G (You may cast this for its constrain cost. If you do, the permanent it becomes can't have counters placed on it.)
Radial-leaf Treefolk enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of permanents you control that can produce G.
T: Add G.
On Xerex, growth is formulaic.
1/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Segovian Nosferatu B
Creature - Vampire (R)
Flying
Whenever another creature dies, each player loses 1 life. If this is the third time this ability has resolved this turn, you draw a card and gain 3 life.
A vampire that feeds and cannot grow stronger will simply grow more sinister.
1/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 months ago

Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper 2G
Creature - Rabbit Shaman (Common)
When Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper enters the battlefield, if the game isn't at spring, it becomes spring (Every two turns, spring becomes summer, then fall, then winter and goes on to spring again.)
Spring — 3/3
Summer — 4/2
Fall — T: Add GG and you lose 2 life. 2/2
Winter — Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper doesn't untap during your untap step. 5/5

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 months ago

withdrawn

Final
Last edited by OneAndOnly 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 months ago

Karsus Mirrorblade 2UR
Creature — Viashino Rogue (R)
Double strike
Whenever Karsus Mirrorblade deals combat damage to a creature, you may have it become a copy of that creature until end of turn, except it has double strike.
Whenever Karsus Mirrorblade deals combat damage to a player, you may switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/4

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 months ago

Suleiman's Dominion 1W
Enchantment (Rare)
Djinn and Efreet spells cost 2 less to cast.
Djinn and Efreet creatures get +2/+2.
Each player who cast a spell this turn can't cast Djinn or Efreet spells this turn and each player who cast a Djinn or Efreet spell this turn can't cast spells this turn.
Djinn and Efreet creatures can only attack or block alone.
"'Yes, all of Wildfire respects the power of a king from Rabiah, who is long dead." - Jan bin Jan
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 months ago

@AnotherAlias
@MonoRedMage
@Komandon
@Ink-Treader
@void_nothing
@netn10
@slimytrout
@kwanyeegor-ii

Alright. Now post critics and top 3 for six other contestants BELOW you, looping to the top if needed. You have time until January 18th, 23:59 EST.
Last edited by Raptorchan 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 months ago

MonoRedMage — I, uh, hate to break it to you, but Regatha isn't in the list of planes mentioned.
Komandon — Makes sense for such a plane. Perhaps a bit weak for its cost however?
Ink-Treader — A new mechanic, though I feel as if it is a bit unnecessary in this circumstance.
void_nothing — A small vampire for a small plane. Could be strong if it sticks, though that also goes for a lot of things.
netn10 — Now this, this is quite an interesting mechanic you have assembled here, though it seems like one that relies on other cards to fully bloom.
slimytrout — A very peculiar card you have designed here, taking the forms of others and switching p/t is very flavorful for the plane.

Top 3:
3rd: void_nothing
2nd: slimytrout
1st: netn10

(Also, I seem to have forgotten to give my card a rarity.)
Last edited by AnotherAlias 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Critique
SPOILER
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
4 months ago
Abian Usurps Luvion
Enchantment — Saga
I — Create a 4/4 red and green Spirit creature token.
II — Draw two cards. Then discard a card unless you control a creature with power 4 or greater.
III — Exile this Saga, then return it to the battlefield transformed under your control.

//

Abian, Ferocious Tyrant
(Red and Green) Legendary Planeswalker — Abian
+2: Draw a card then, if you control a creature with power 4 or greater, draw a card. Discard a card.
-3: Abian, Ferocious Tyrant deals damage to target battle, creature, or planeswalker equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
-7: This turn, whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, Abian, Ferocious Tyrant deals that much damage to any target.
Guessing rare or mythic.
He does fit what is written of Luvion. Just overpowered for the cost IMO. Sagas and spirits do go together as they did in Neon Dynasty. Mostly was white and green so again makes sense.

MonoRedMage wrote:
4 months ago
Keral Keep Ceremony XRRR
Enchantment {M}
Keral Keep Ceremony enters the battlefield with X meditation counters on it.
When Keral Keep Ceremony enters the battlefield, create X 1/1 red Monk creature tokens with prowess.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each meditation counter on Keral Keep Ceremony.
Regatha is the multiversal epicenter of the study and contemplation of fire.
Two ETBs. Guess it's not worded oddly. 🤔. So for say five mana you get two 1/1 monks with prowess and instants and sorceries cost 2 less. I'm sorry that is too overpowered. Even if it was XX.
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 months ago
Radial-leaf Treefolk 2GG
Creature - Treefolk Fractal (U)
Constrain 1G (You may cast this for its constrain cost. If you do, the permanent it becomes can't have counters placed on it.)
Radial-leaf Treefolk enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of permanents you control that can produce G.
T: Add G.
On Xerex, growth is formulaic.
1/2
I wanted originally to do Xerex since I'm a math nerd and I like palindromes. I like this take on an alternative cost.
void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Segovian Nosferatu B
Creature - Vampire (R)
Flying
Whenever another creature dies, each player loses 1 life. If this is the third time this ability has resolved this turn, you draw a card and gain 3 life.
A vampire that feeds and cannot grow stronger will simply grow more sinister.
1/1
I do like this. Simple. The restriction on the trigger makes it no overpowered.
netn10 wrote:
4 months ago
Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper 2G
Creature - Rabbit Shaman (Common)
When Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper enters the battlefield, if the game isn't at spring, it becomes spring (Every two turns, spring becomes summer, then fall, then winter and goes on to spring again.)
Spring — 3/3
Summer — 4/2
Fall — T: Add GG and you lose 2 life. 2/2
Winter — Moag Aurora-Chronos Hopper doesn't untap during your untap step. 5/5
I like the mechanics idea. Just thinking how it would do in EDH or other multiple player formats. Would slow down the game even a one on one too much IMO. If Night/Day mechanics was on the field too. It would be overwhelming. Maybe if the change of season had a different trigger than just ever two turn. Since when this creature dies and if anything like Day/Night mechanic it would still have to be tracked.
slimytrout wrote:
4 months ago
Karsus Mirrorblade 2UR
Creature — Viashino Rogue (R)
Double strike
Whenever Karsus Mirrorblade deals combat damage to a creature, you may have it become a copy of that creature until end of turn, except it has double strike.
Whenever Karsus Mirrorblade deals combat damage to a player, you may switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/4
Doublestrike on a blue card. That's new. Switching P/T and the copying ability both triggered with combat damage. I understand how that would work. The doublestrike part hits first and it can either do (without modification) 4 damage or becomes a copy. It's a nice card but IMO overpowered for its cost and what I can see happening with other interactions.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 months ago
Suleiman's Dominion 1W
Enchantment (Rare)
Djinn and Efreet spells cost 2 less to cast.
Djinn and Efreet creatures get +2/+2.
Each player who cast a spell this turn can't cast Djinn or Efreet spells this turn and each player who cast a Djinn or Efreet spell this turn can't cast spells this turn.
Djinn and Efreet creatures can only attack or block alone.
"'Yes, all of Wildfire respects the power of a king from Rabiah, who is long dead." - Jan bin Jan
I feel nostalgic. I miss those days. My favorite Djinn and one of my favorite cards ever was Old Man of the Sea. I'm not rating on my bias of missing the past. I like how you took a kindred (I think that's the word now) card with both and upside and downside. So not too overpowered nor too limited as in cards like Suleiman's Legacy from Visions.
Top 3.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
1st: Ink-Treader
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: void_nothing

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
slimytrout - A super plane-appropriate card with amazing name-to-mechanics matching that would make combat math... let's say somewhat difficult. Dealing 5 damage on an unblocked hit to a player is easy enough to figure out but the copying ability is really complex in execution. Would be fun to play with, though - mostly on Arena where the figuring out is done for you, lol.

kwanyeegor-ii - You went extremely old-school on this one which I appreciate. Obviously this card is super narrow, but I like the unity of the effects - super powerful genies, but single file line, please. The one miss here is not making it a world enchantment imo.

AnotherAlias - A reference to Abian, Luvion Usurper is pretty obscure and also noncanonical, but good call on tying your choice of plane to something we have at least heard of about it. The front half of this card seems to pretty much be in the spirit of The First Iroan Games, and the back face... feels like Abian, based on his one existing playtest card.

MonoRedMage - Definitely flavorful - Jaya would be proud. This feels like a legendary enchantment like The Meathook Massacre for balance reasons - obviously it's super explosive even at X=2 or X=3, being a finisher-in-a-box - just cast a bunch of discounted spells the turn after casting this and attack with your army of 4/4s or 5/5s to finish your opponents off. Thankfully it's not a true all-in-one engine because you need a full hand on your own. I will point out that sadly Regatha wasn't one of the listed planes so this doesn't really fit the challenge.

Komandon - Not sure how to evaluate this one gameplay-wise because I have a feeling that an Iquatana set would have to have a "creatures in library" theme, but in a vacuum this is fairly weak, with a much less desirable form of blink/bounce than the likes of Whitemane Lion grants, plus the underwhelming 2/2 body for three mana. Yes the scry is fairly good, but this card isn't all that exciting and is actually underpowered besides no matter the format, Limited or Constructed. Flavor is on point, though!

netn10 - That's a mouthful of a name. I wonder if you meant for a phenomenon called Aurora on Moag to be linked to the Lorwyn-Shadowmoor Aurora. You've made seasonal cards before and this feels totally reasonable as a common, but I have to say the mana ability would actually feel less black and more appropriate for green if it had the life payment as a cost, similar to how you'd see it on a modern dual land or mana rock.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. AnotherAlias
2. slimytrout
3. netn10
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
This is very strong: it starts as a 4-mana 4/4 which draws two cards a turn later, and then transforms into a decently strong (although not busted) planeswalker. If the creature gets destroyed then you might have to discard a card but you still get the draw and the 'walker, if the enchantment gets destroyed, then you still have a 4/4. That's rather pushed, plus I have to ding you for missing a rarity, although I assume it's mythic.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
An interesting tension here because you want to cast this while you still have a hand, otherwise it's just a more expensive Secure the Wastes, but you also want to wait until X is large enough to be interesting. Unfortunately, Regatha isn't on the list so this doesn't meet the challenge.
Komandon
Show
Hide
This hints at an interesting (although probably quite difficult to design) theme for a set on Iquatana, but without that context it feels wildly underpowered -- there are not many situations where I'd rather have a creature in my library than on the battlefield. Even if you're "fizzling" a removal spell this way, many decks would prefer the creature in the graveyard than the library and scrying 2 is not much of a reward.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Hmm, this is a tricky one to evaluate. It feels a little weird to have a whole mechanic designed around such a downside. It definitely would have been less novel to do this as kicker, but I think it would have made for a card that reads as way more exciting.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Simple, but spicy -- as close as we're going to get to a 1-mana Blood Artist. I like it a lot.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Stuffed with flavor, but maybe overstuffed? Basically five different abilities, a mix of upsides and downsides, and just a lot to keep track of for a deck that currently would have only five cards in it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. Ink-Treader
3. AnotherAlias

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 months ago

void_nothing
Show
Hide
More interesting than many of the current Segovian cards to be sure. Definitely a neat way to change up growth.
netn10
Show
Hide
I've always felt the seasons mechanic you've toyed with seemed annoying to have to track, and quite complex. It also becomes weird in multiplayer. It would certainly fit Moag though.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
That's a very unusual card, but really cool. Works well with what little we know of Karsus.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Now that's a reference from way back. The limitations do make the upsides a little unsatisfying, as the cost reduction and p/T boost suggests going wide, but the other effects instead suggest focusing on one at a time.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Interesting choice. Referencing a character of dubious canon is an intriguing choice, but it does all seem to fit what we 'know' of them.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
That's a rather spicy red enchantment. Initial rates are kind of poor, but it scales extremely well. Sadly, Regatha wasn't one of the options.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. void_nothing
3. AnotherAlias

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Just a top 3 this time. And oops, I knew I should have re-checked the list.

1 - slimytrout
2 - void_nothing
3 - Ink-Treader

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”