NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 6 months ago

De'an, vengeful hunter 2UR
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Hunter
De'an gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. As long as you control 5 or more artifacts, De'an has first strike
De'an can't be controlled by another player.
, : Destroy target creature. Activate this ability only if a creature you control died this turn.
3/3

Samwin, the cursed 1UB
Whenever you draw a card, Samwin gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Samwin attacks each combat if able unless you control a demon.
: Discard your hand, then draw X cards. X can't be larger than the number of demons you control. Activate this ability only once each turn, and only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Castinel, defender of the world 2WW
Legendary Creature - Angel Hunter
Soulbond, first strike, flying
If a creature an opponent controls would die, exile it instead.
As long as Castinel is paired with another creature, both creatures have "Whenever a creature an opponent controls is exiled, if this creature dealt damage to that creature this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then you gain life equal to the exiled creature's toughness."
3/3

IIW: Hunters, Detectives, or Time Travel
Last edited by chetoos 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 6 months ago

chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
De'an, vengeful hunter
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Samwin, the cursed
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Castinel, defender of the world
I hate that I know that this is commemorating the 3 year anniversary of that thing.

You also covered three out of four of the prompts.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
6 months ago

I hate that I know that this is commemorating the 3 year anniversary of that thing.

You also covered three out of four of the prompts.

chetoos

4 for 4, bay-bee!

Raise you from perdition 2WW
Sorcery
Cleave - WWW, tap an untapped angel you control.
[As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.]

Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Return that card [and the sacrificed card] to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep. That creature enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it.
With all the lights snuffed out around you, a shining force grabs you out, hard enough to leave a mark in the land of the living.

Last edited by chetoos 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 6 months ago

i forget why i know what these cards are referencing, but I do.

I'll judge tonight.
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 6 months ago

Merewolf 1GU
Creature — Merfolk Werewolf (R)
Daybound
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Merewolf, put a flood counter on target land. It becomes an Island in addition to its other types and loses all abilities that aren't mana abilities.
2/3
//
Seawolf of the Wax Moon
Nightbound
Islands you control are 2/2 green and blue Merfolk Werewolf creatures with haste in addition to their other types and colors.
3/3

IIW: Map tokens or other explore
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

I honestly forget what my prompts were so I'm just approaching this like a wildcard.
6 months ago
Trepanation Trepang 3{U}{B}
Creature - Sea-Cucumber (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards a card.
At the beginning of your end step, if you descended this turn, create a 1/1 blue and black Sea-Cucumber Ooze creature tokens with "When this creature dies, put a stun counter on up to one creature."
6/6

Auto-Eviscerating Holuthurian 5{B}
Creature - Sea-Cucumber (U)
Defender
When Auto-Eviscerating Holuthurian is dealt damage, you may pay {1}. When you do, another target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the damage dealt.
0/7
Some sea-cucumbers can eject their internal organs as a defensive tactic, leaving the attacker entangled in toxic sticky tubules.

Cave Barnacle 2{B}
Creature - Barnacle (U)
Defender, first strike
Cave Barnacle has reach as long as you control a Cave.
2/4
Once you're in range, it's already too late.

IIW: Snail
Ok I lied, I immediately remembered when I saw these cards. Aquatic creatures. I had to google the Trepang (Luckily I already know about trepanning), but I appreciate the pun. This is a beefy creature that gets pretty good value most of the time (usually getting a card from the opponent and even more easily getting you a token for your troubles). The Holuthurian, ah, I knew they did this but I did go look it up here... seems painful. Notably, this can hurt *any* creature, not just a creature that damaged it. That is pretty big game, and I see why it costs 6. Having a mana cost on the activation is a good choice as well. Cave barnacle is cute and I like this creature type as a Wall kind of thing.
Cythare wrote:
6 months ago
Meletis Usurer 2W
Creature — Human Banker (R)
Whenever Meletis Usurer or another Banker enters the battlefield, create a Treasure token.
Whenever you sacrifice two or more Treasures, create a Treasure token. This ability triggers only once each turn.
2/2

IIW: Treasures
After the whole Orzhov thing we're just doing the bankers dirty with this one. Maybe not undeservedly. But anyway, wouldn't each sacrifice be a separate event? Should this trigger on "the second time you sacrifice a treasure each turn" or something? I'm OK with it.
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
De'an, vengeful hunter 2UR
De'an gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. As long as you control 5 or more artifacts, De'an has first strike
De'an can't be controlled by another player.
, : Destroy target creature. Activate this ability only if a creature you control died this turn.
3/3

Samwin, the cursed 1UB
Whenever you draw a card, Samwin gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Samwin attacks each combat if able unless you control a demon.
: Discard your hand, then draw X cards. X can't be larger than the number of demons you control. Activate this ability only once each turn, and only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Castinel, defender of the world 2WW
Legendary Creature - Angel Hunter
Soulbond, first strike, flying
If a creature an opponent controls would die, exile it instead.
As long as Castinel is paired with another creature, both creatures have "Whenever a creature an opponent controls is exiled, if this creature dealt damage to that creature this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then you gain life equal to the exiled creature's toughness."
3/3

Now, this I'm not going to google. I don't need this kind of drama in my life today. We have a new creature type here, Hunter, just noting that for posterity. For Dean, to the uninitiated (me) these abilities don't really feel cohesive to me. I'm sure they all make sense but at first blush I am just a bit confused. Samwin on the other hand does feel like a package that makes more sense. Just for the point of comparison, it has a power boost based on drawing cards, a restriction that wants you to have a demon, and then a third ability that draws cards and scales based on the number of demons you have. This all tracks. My only comment there would be that this is a card that really wants to attack (only buffing power + having a sorcery speed activation all point to this) so having the restriction being "must attack unless" seems a bit incongruous—I want to attack! Maybe flip it around: what if he had haste if you control a Demon? Something like that. Castinel works I think. I like the exile working even when he's not paired, which dramatically increases the utility of the card, IMO.
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Raise you from perdition 2WW
Sorcery
Cleave - WWW, tap an untapped angel you control.
[As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.]
Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Return that card [and the sacrificed card] to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep. That creature enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it.
With all the lights snuffed out around you, a shining force grabs you out, hard enough to leave a mark in the land of the living.

This is a neat cleave card. I wonder if you might take the opportunity to make a B/W card, taking a page from Rescue from the Underworld. The Cleave, using an Angel and costing white mana, should stay as-is. Cool concept either way.
Cythare wrote:
6 months ago
Merewolf 1GU
Daybound
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Merewolf, put a flood counter on target land. It becomes an Island in addition to its other types and loses all abilities that aren't mana abilities.
2/3
//
Seawolf of the Wax Moon
Nightbound
Islands you control are 2/2 green and blue Merfolk Werewolf creatures with haste in addition to their other types and colors.
3/3

use of day/night is unconscionable.

Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon
Next: Snail
MEG

chetoos

Magma Cargo Snail 4R
Creature - Elemental Snail
If another red source you control would deal damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Whenever Magma Cargo snail attacks, target creature with 2 or less power can't be blocked this turn.
According to the locals, the snail's magma is hotter than the sun. That's preposterous, and calls into question the rest of their figures for other fauna. - The Journal of Vivien Reid.
3/7

IIW: Hunters, or more Pokemon as mtg fauna
Last edited by chetoos 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
According to the locals, the snail's magma is hotter than the sun. That's preposterous, and calls into question the rest of their figures for other fauna. - The Journal of Vivien Reid.
3/7
Addendum: I watched a coconut tree with faces stare at a man, sending him into convulsions. A cat released a psychic pulse that leveled a building. A rodent electrocuted a woman the other day. I'm told there's a whole ecological niche of electric rodents. I watched a haunted chandelier mate with a flounder. There are hippos that lounge in desert sand instead of water. A frog applauded someone, and he was forced to repeat his actions, as if in a time loop.

Addendum 2: The $&!% is a Mr. Mime?!

Megiddo
MEG

Plaudite, Acta est Fabula 2BB
Enchantment — Saga {R}
[ I ]: Create a 1/1 black Snail creature token with deathtouch.
[ II ]: Destroy all untapped creatures your opponents control that didn't attack since your last turn ended, except for creatures that couldn't attack.
[ III ]: Return up to one target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

IIW: cards that care about land types
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 6 months ago

Forewarned Whelk 1WU
Creature — Snail Druid (R)
Last strike, skulk
Whenever Forewarned Whelk deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a foretold card you own in exile without paying its mana cost.
2/2

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Manfred Adrai, Negation Savant UU
Legendary Creature — Snail Illusion {M}
Flash
Flying
When Manfred Adrai, Negation Savant enters the battlefield, if you cast it, counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it with a shell counter on it.
Manfred Adrai gets +2/+2 for each exiled card an opponent owns with a shell counter on it.
1/1

IIW: Echoes
MEG

chetoos

Metallic Hydra Snail XGU
Creature - Hydra Snail
Metallic Hydra Snail enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
Remove 2 +1/+1 counters from this creature, UG: draw a card. Activate this ability only once each turn.
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
0/0

IIW: Hunters, or pokemon made into MTG fauna.

Sporegorger_Dragon

*Emerges from shell*

All right, good haul!

By complete coincidence, today is also Snail day on The Great Creature Type Challenge, since Snail is now officially a creature type with the introduction of Skullcap Snail.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Magma Cargo Snail 4R
Creature - Elemental Snail
If another red source you control would deal damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Whenever Magma Cargo snail attacks, target creature with 2 or less power can't be blocked this turn.
3/7

IIW: Hunters, or more Pokemon as mtg fauna
Aaah, good old Magcargo! Good job portraying the extreme heat emanated by this lava snail.

Just one small thing; Magma Escargot (pronounced 'escargo') is the real basis of the name.
Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
Plaudite, Acta est Fabula 2BB
Enchantment — Saga {R}
[ I ]: Create a 1/1 black Snail creature token with deathtouch.
[ II ]: Destroy all untapped creatures your opponents control that didn't attack since your last turn ended, except for creatures that couldn't attack.
[ III ]: Return up to one target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

IIW: cards that care about land types
Is...is this based on that meme about the "immortality+ riches but you die if a certain snail touches you"?

On it's own merits, an interesting Saga, especially that 2nd chapter, which provides a lot of workarounds, which leads to further counterplays.
Cythare wrote:
6 months ago
Forewarned Whelk 1WU
Creature — Snail Druid (R)
Last strike, skulk
Whenever Forewarned Whelk deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a foretold card you own in exile without paying its mana cost.
2/2

Ah, the expectedsnail with last strike, Spitting Slug heir!

Last strike is a drawback, so you made sure the damage trigger is powerful enough to warrant it, but I feel that the addition of skulk cancels that out.
Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
Manfred Adrai, Negation Savant UU
Legendary Creature — Snail Illusion {M}
Flash
Flying
When Manfred Adrai, Negation Savant enters the battlefield, if you cast it, counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it with a shell counter on it.
Manfred Adrai gets +2/+2 for each exiled card an opponent owns with a shell counter on it.
1/1

IIW: Echoes
Ah, this is a legendary Draining Whelk, I presume!

I can't help but feel an unconditional Counterspell in the command zone is a bit too powerful. I feel the power is appropriate for a mythic, but this is a case where the legendary type makes the card too good for a commander.
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Metallic Hydra Snail XGU
Creature - Hydra Snail
Metallic Hydra Snail enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
Remove 2 +1/+1 counters from this creature, UG: draw a card. Activate this ability only once each turn.
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
0/0

IIW: Hunters, or pokemon made into MTG fauna.
Is this a reference to Flail Snail? A watered-down Hydroid Krasis, with the card draw spread out over multiple turns.

You're wary of some loop with counter shenanigans, so it's clearly designed to prevent that, but I can't help but feel some flashiness is lost here.

Result:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Winner: Megiddo for deadly snail
HM: EVERYBODY ELSE!!

Next: cards that care about land types

Megiddo
MEG

It is not based on that meme, actually, but rather on something much dumber. I'm glad you liked it regardless!
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
It is not based on that meme, actually, but rather on something much dumber.
If this is based on a certain visual novel I'm...

Megiddo
MEG

6 months ago
Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
It is not based on that meme, actually, but rather on something much dumber.
If this is based on a certain visual novel I'm...
ohmy
MEG

chetoos

6 months ago

Just one small thing; Magma Escargot (pronounced 'escargo') is the real basis of the name.

Is this a reference to Flail Snail? A watered-down Hydroid Krasis, with the card draw spread out over multiple turns.

You're wary of some loop with counter shenanigans, so it's clearly designed to prevent that, but I can't help but feel some flashiness is lost here.
I knew about magcargo's name origin, but the idea of a cargo snail was cool. As for the other one, it's based on Hisuian Goodra. Originally, I was thinking dragon snail, since it's dragon type, but hydra in the name made sense for me

chetoos

Revenant Tree 2bb
Creature - plant spirit
Landfall - whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If the land was a forest, that creature gets -3/-2 until end of turn, instead.
Don't worry so much about the animals, it's the trees you need to worry about in this forest
2/5

iiw: more Pokemon as magic fauna

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
I knew about magcargo's name origin, but the idea of a cargo snail was cool.
I see I was too presumptuous, I should have known better.

chetoos

Hopping goat 2w
Creature - goat
Landfall- this creature gets +1/+1 until eot. If that land was a mountain, it also gains your choice of first strike, haste, or trample
3/2

(This one isn't a Pokemon)
Iiw: hunters

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 6 months ago

Selvala, Intrepid Voyager
1GU
Legendary Creature — Elf Scout
When Selvala enters the battlefield, create Selvala's Charts, a legendary colorless artifact token with hexproof and "Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, note one of its land types that hasn't been noted for this artifact."
T: Add one mana of any color for each land type noted for target permanent you control named Selvala's Charts.
3/3

IIW: Iconic Creatures types in Hybrid colors

Sporegorger_Dragon

Emerald Kingfisher
1{G}
Creature - Bird (C)
Emerald Kingfisher has flying as long as you control an Island.
2/1

Tree Agate Snails
2{G}
Creature - Snail (U)
{T}: Untap target Forest. Until end of turn, it gains "When this land is tapped for mana, add one mana of any color."
2/4
In some areas, the trees are dotted with these living jewels.

IIW: Slug

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 6 months ago

Shivan Hawk W
Creature - Bird (C)
Flying
Shivan Hawk gets +1/+2 as long as you control a Mountain.
"Normally a hunter, in Shiv the hawks are much more prey than predator."
1/1

IIW: Planar Chaos some cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

judging this afternoon.
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic