Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

CCL October Round 3/Top 4

"The Skilled Commander"

Samut, Voice of Dissent, taken from here on MTGNexus, by Aleksi Briclot and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Tricolor Month here at the CCL, which will be focused on the many times that three-color shards and wedges have been used in Magic's past.

Challenge
Design a two-colored legendary creature card that has mana symbols of exactly one additional color in its text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • If you choose to make a RG card with white mana symbols in its text, you may include W, {2/W}, {W/P}, or monowhite variant symbols of your own design, but not {W/U} or {G/W} for example.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@CunningGabe
@marioguy3
@AnotherAlias
Your submissions are due Satuday, October 28th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 2nd-9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 10th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 18th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 24th-28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 30th)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

An entry reminder to all the contestants:

@kwanyeegor-ii
@CunningGabe
@marioguy3
@AnotherAlias
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 6 months ago

Maleva, Bone Augur
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (Uncommon)
Deathtouch
, Exile target creature card from a graveyard: Surveil 1. If the exiled card entered the graveyard from the battlefield this turn, draw a card.
"In the future, I can see: wasted land and poverty."
2/2
Last edited by AnotherAlias 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 6 months ago

Anaconda, Slithering Villain
Legendary Creature - Snake (Rare)
Reach
Whenever Anaconda, Slithering Villain blocks or becomes blocked by a creature an opponent controls, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
, Pay four life: Anaconda, Slithering Villain gains indestructible this turn as long as it's not your turn.
2/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 6 months ago

Yenna the Protector 1GW
Legendary Creature - Elf Noble (R)
You may cast Aura spells as though they had flash.
U: The next Aura spell you cast this turn has split second. (As long as that spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
3/4
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 6 months ago

Heggar, Ludevic's Tinkerer 3UB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Artificer (Rare)
Menace
Whenever Heggar, Ludevic's Tinkerer deals combat damage to a player, you may pay that much life. When you do, put target artifact card with mana value equal to or less than the amount of life paid this way from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
2R, T: For each player, destroy up to one target artifact that player controls. If you controlled an artifact destroyed this way, draw two cards.
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, with all contestants having entered, please critique everyone else and organize them into a top 3.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 6 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
6 months ago
Maleva, Bone Augur
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (Uncommon)
Deathtouch
, Exile target creature card from a graveyard: Surveil 1. If the exiled card entered the graveyard from the battlefield this turn, draw a card.
"In the future, I can see: wasted land and poverty."
2/2
If you don't have access to white, then this is unexciting, which is a shame - I like a 2-color card with an off-color ability to feel good if you can cast it and great if you also have the 3rd color. The ability is interesting, and quite strong in an Abzan control shell -- even adding effectively a kicker of W to draw a card on all of your point removal spells is pretty potent. In fact, that alone makes me think this should be at least a rare.
marioguy3 wrote:
6 months ago
Anaconda, Slithering Villain
Legendary Creature - Snake (Rare)
Reach
Whenever Anaconda, Slithering Villain blocks or becomes blocked by a creature an opponent controls, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
, Pay four life: Anaconda, Slithering Villain gains indestructible this turn as long as it's not your turn.
2/3
I understand that the ability is sort of an upgraded deathtouch, but it feels a bit unusual to me in red/green. It does suffer a little from what all deathtouch creatures suffer from; it's better on defense than on offense, since keeping this untapped means that your opponent doesn't want to attack with their big beaters. But at least it can attack safely, and so if you're ahead, you'll probably just keep hitting them for 2. The black ability at first seems like a pretty steep cost, but after thinking about it a bit, this would be a really oppressive card if the cost were any lower, so I think you've found a good balance.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
6 months ago
Heggar, Ludevic's Tinkerer 3UB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Artificer (Rare)
Menace
Whenever Heggar, Ludevic's Tinkerer deals combat damage to a player, you may pay that much life. When you do, put target artifact card with mana value equal to or less than the amount of life paid this way from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
2R, T: For each player, destroy up to one target artifact that player controls. If you controlled an artifact destroyed this way, draw two cards.
4/4
This one is unique - the basic ideas aren't new, but the way they are brought together here feels novel. This is perfectly serviceable as a blue/black card on its own, but the red ability synergizes with it nicely without going bonkers (since, for example, if you use the activated ability then you can't attack that turn). I guess it is a little bit clunky to give your 4/4 menace an activated ability, but hey, sometimes your opponent has too many blockers.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. marioguy3
3. AnotherAlias
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 6 months ago

AnotherAlias: In general, I really like this effect for anti-graveyards. Everything hits strong with this design flavorwise too.

CunningGabe: I really like split second as a mechanic. Giving auras split second is pretty good. I think a slight adjustment to make the activated ability only once per turn could be better, especially with the flash.

kwanyeegor-ii: I like the idea of benefiting off of artifact destruction. The cost of casting this and destroying an artifact might be slightly high, but the drawing two cards is a nice add-on for self artifact destruction.

Top 3:
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
2nd place: CunningGabe
1st place: AnotherAlias
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 6 months ago

Just top 3 today

1 anotheralias
2 cunninggabe
3 marioguy3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 6 months ago

Top 3:
3rd: CunningGabe
2nd: marioguy3
1st: kwanyeegor-ii

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And we have our finalists - Congrats to kwanyeegor-ii and AnotherAlias! Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”