[IKO] Full Image Gallery Up

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Last edited by Dusk 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Maluko
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

I opened the image gallery and literally the first card on the list has a reference to The Wanderer. How come we've never heard anything about her being in Ikoria??

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
I opened the image gallery and literally the first card on the list has a reference to The Wanderer. How come we've never heard anything about her being in Ikoria??
It's also the only reference to her being on Ikoria. And considering her whole shtick is "endlessly wandering through planes, never able to stop on one for long", I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to have her show up like this a bunch before we actually get a set focusing on her.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

Titans' Nest : Villainous Wealth players weap. Still a solid card tough.
Last edited by RedCheese 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Light of Hope feels almost like a misprint. one mana?? I'm a huge Emerald Charm fan already but this is quite possibly better!

CTNC

Post by CTNC » 4 years ago

Is there a normal version of Zilortha, Strength Incarnate or just the Godzila, King of the Monsters buy a box promo? It seems kind of weird, but I'm sure as hell not complaining about Godzila!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

CTNC wrote:
4 years ago
Is there a normal version of Zilortha, Strength Incarnate or just the Godzila, King of the Monsters buy a box promo? It seems kind of weird, but I'm sure as hell not complaining about Godzila!
There is not. Maro confirmed that earlier this week. But if he ever gets reprinted, it will be with new art and not the Godzilla art.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
Light of Hope feels almost like a misprint. one mana?? I'm a huge Emerald Charm fan already but this is quite possibly better!
It's a major upgrade to several cards. I assume this is part of their effort to make cards that previously were only sideboard material mainboardable for best-of-1 matches.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

set looks ok.
In ROE limited I remember getting a lack luster 6 packs that didn't have much in the way of big beasts but very rarely did it come down to - I cast guy, you cast slightly bigger guy, I cast even bigger guy, you cast larger guy, we shake hands and hug cause of our accomplishments - but I digress

get ready for every card printed to get the add a keyword counter treatment. . .that vein is big, and bloody, its pouring out. the things that they can do with adding keyword counters as a rider on spells. believe it

the planes walkers are sorts meh. . .basically the casting costs. . .but no reason to have them shine in a creature based set, that being said why make a half assed card. . .I mean just make every card the best it can.

mutate is complex. . .perhaps A mutate creature will fill a role somewhere in a competitive deck. cast your bets now. companion is just whack enough that it just may be cool

the horned beast in the almighty brushwagg has a expression. . .that I feel. . .so good work
Kudros to general kudro, for the mustache and the shoulder pad, some can't pull off that look, you can!
fiend artisan is the first card I was like WOW, I want THAT card! there aren't many more besides all of them like parcelbeast
the fox face in spontaneous flight is the same face I would make if I were a fox just now granted flight. between this one and the horned beast. . .its pretty hilarious, I cannot not see. lol

good art, definitely some cool power at common and uncommon. overall I give it one vote for being a magic set.

look forward to seeing what others have to say

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Looks like there will be a lot of removal at lower rarities
Poor mutate

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Borderless Mythos, Ghidorah, and the alt-art Triome are the ones I want to get.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

This set is definatly gonna be in my top 10 favorites easily (as crazy as that sounds for some of you)

The only downsides I have about it is that the trailer could have Ben better and I expected the P/T average on the monsters to be closer to 9/9 range rather than 6/6 since the set is "lair of the behemoths"

As for commander while reprints still not like before 2018 but this is by far the closest they have gotten to that level

ilovesaprolings

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
The only downsides I have about it is that the trailer could have Ben better and I expected the P/T average on the monsters to be closer to 9/9 range rather than 6/6 since the set is "lair of the behemoths"
The only downsides is that there is only one set

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
So far, popularity breeds repetition when it comes to MTG sets. Which is why we keep going back to Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, and Theros.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
Ikoria is techniqully 1.5 since commander 2020 is connected

But doesn't matter eventually they stay longer on a plane

ilovesaprolings

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
So far, popularity breeds repetition when it comes to MTG sets. Which is why we keep going back to Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, and Theros.
yeah but i want moar mutate cards RIGHT NOOOOOW

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Although I don't like the set or plane overall personally (not for me, but there are good cards here) I have to hand it to the set for introducing two cards I actually enthusiastically anticipate. Ominous Seas and Sea-Dasher Octopus for my Arixmethes deck.

I love that they lower the curve on the deck while adding thematic options. Ominous seas is a great way to do that, like Quest for Ula's Temple (plays in similar territory). Octopuses seem like a great place to get lower curve creatures in the deck. Great art on Sea-Dasher Octopus as well, and I love the variety of kraken tokens the game has now

UnfulfilledDesires

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 4 years ago

4 years ago
I expected the P/T average on the monsters to be closer to 9/9 range rather than 6/6 since the set is "lair of the behemoths"
This surprised me as well & continues to feel a touch off. It's not really a problem & I'm also quite pleased with the set, but I feel like Ikoria didn't deliver on its promise of big creatures. Guilds of Ravnica randomly had a 16/16 in Impervious Greatwurm yet the Lair of the Behemoths can only manage an 11/11 & the star mechanic doesn't boost power or toughness. The mightiest beast on the plane by far is a missing kitten. What gives? I can only assume WotC wanted their monsters to see fair play in Standard, & they couldn't figure out a good way to do that with Eldrazi-size creatures.

Part of this issue could have been solved by simply altering mutate so that a creature got +1/+1 for each time it has mutated (each card beneath it).

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
You are not alone in that, mutate seems incredibly fun. As do keyword counters. So much potential. I want to give out Flanking counters dammit. >.<

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

this ain't my fave plane, to be honest - I rarely play wedge decks plus the monster designs make me think of over-the-top MMO type stuff. really love the new cycling and ability counter cards, though! Scenario-wise I think it's simultaneously cute and boring to have a plane where it's just humans and animals, cos I live on one of those, and the General Kudro stuff is really heavy handed. If you had a scale where Ikoria (and Naya?) were on the right and Mercadia and Ravnica were on the left, I'd be a loyal lefty, giggle.

(fave recent settings:
Amonkhet: 10/10 - the superior cat setting!
Ravnica: 9/10 - the Rakdos are ridiculous and I love them and the other guilds are so fun to hate, especially the Boros)
Dominaria: 7/10 - actually too nostalgic at this point; Mercadia as an encapsulated scenario would be 11/10, though
Theros: 6/10 - mostly because the cards always inspire me; the actual setting is just messy myth-matching and a big starfield
Kaladesh: 6/10 - beautiful thought but sort of patronizing, a colonial tourist take on india
Ikoria: 4/10
Ixalan:: 4/10 - not really happy with the conquistador setting
Eldraine: 2/10 - couldn't give a damn about chivalry or disney
Kylem: 0/10 - until you tell me who the Azra are!)

fave card: the stupid shark tornado

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

UnfulfilledDesires wrote:
4 years ago
Part of this issue could have been solved by simply altering mutate so that a creature got +1/+1 for each time it has mutated (each card beneath it).
There are multiple cards that do that already. There are just others as well that do something different instead. : )

CommanderMaster999

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
As long as the set gets positive reviews we will see mutate again

And I can do even need to guess if your getting the enhanced evolution precon or not

ilovesaprolings

4 years ago

And I can do even need to guess if your getting the enhanced evolution precon or not
Idk. I really wanted to only abzan mutate, not sultai. But sultai is a good combination too. I'm confused.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

after understanding the rules. I'm not glad kaheera got printed. Finally, a lord for my cat deck that can be summoned from the sideboard.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
this ain't my fave plane, to be honest - I rarely play wedge decks plus the monster designs make me think of over-the-top MMO type stuff. really love the new cycling and ability counter cards, though! Scenario-wise I think it's simultaneously cute and boring to have a plane where it's just humans and animals, cos I live on one of those, and the General Kudro stuff is really heavy handed. If you had a scale where Ikoria (and Naya?) were on the right and Mercadia and Ravnica were on the left, I'd be a loyal lefty, giggle.
Mercadia? Pfft, give me Ulgrotha!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”