Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

Ulka wrote:
7 months ago
Jund Blisterwing R
Creature - Insect (C)
Jund Jewelwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Forest.
Jund Jewelwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Swamp.
"The Rip Clan warriors that bear its acid scars are the lucky ones."
1/1
Blisterwing... no flying? (Oddly I do think this could be great aa a flying 0/1)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 7 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
Blisterwing... no flying?
Not only that, but calls itself Jewelwing in body of text.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 7 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
Ulka wrote:
7 months ago
Jund Blisterwing R
Creature - Insect (C)
Jund Jewelwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Forest.
Jund Jewelwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Swamp.
1/1
Blisterwing... no flying? (Oddly I do think this could be great aa a flying 0/1)
Thank you for the idea.

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
7 months ago
void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
Blisterwing... no flying?
Not only that, but calls itself Jewelwing in body of text.
Aaaaand fixed that. I had jeweling as a temur version on an old draft.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 7 months ago

Gristgrub BG
Creature — Insect (U)
Whenever you mill one or more creature cards for the first time each turn, if Gristgrub is in your graveyard, you may return it to the battlefield tapped. (This ability triggers if Gristgrub is among the creatures you mill for the first time in a turn.)
2/2

IIW: Permanents with a mana cost of 2WU
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

*sheds exoskeleton, becomes smaller*

All right, let's go!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ulka wrote:
7 months ago
Jund Blisterwing R
Creature - Insect (C)
Jund Blisterwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Forest.
Jund Blisterwing gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Swamp.
0/1

IIW: a card from the new hit draft set: Planar Chaos Part 2: Chaos Ensues
On a bit of a Kird Ape streak, eh? You took void_nothing's advice, so you made it a 0/1, but you still left off the flying! :rofl:
Megiddo wrote:
7 months ago
Blinkmoth 1U
Creature — Insect {C}
Flying
When Blinkmoth dies, draw a card, then scry 2.
1/1

IIW: Bat and Ball Sport
Serum Vision on a body, eh? I appreciate the reference. We get into taxonomy problems with the name and type, though.
chetoos wrote:
7 months ago
Blinkmoth U
Creature - Blinkmoth Insect
Flying
, : another target blinkmoth creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

IIW: Battle of the bands
Another Blinkmoth. Didn't you guys already do this round way back under B?

At least this one has the the Blinkmoth type as well.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
7 months ago
I'm noticing something of a nexus. A nexus of blinkmoths.

Inkmoth 2
Artifact Creature- Blinkmoth Insect (C)
Flying, Infect
1/1

IIW: Colorless manland
Are Blinkmoths actual insects, though? I always thought they were just called that. Also, this really needs Phyrexian in the mix.
Cythare wrote:
7 months ago
Gristgrub BG
Creature — Insect (U)
Whenever you mill one or more creature cards for the first time each turn, if Gristgrub is in your graveyard, you may return it to the battlefield tapped. (This ability triggers if Gristgrub is among the creatures you mill for the first time in a turn.)
2/2

Oh, I assume this is the larva of a member of Grist's species! Are they all Grist, I wonder?

The ability is understandable, but potentially problematic in Dredge decks; just Narcomoeba existing was bad enough. I'm also thinking the ruling on this isn't quite as simple as it appears
Results:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
HM: Ulka for suffering with the Blisterwing so much he forgot the flying.

Winner: Cythare for baby Grist

NEXT:

Permanents with a mana cost of 2WU

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

7 months ago
Cythare wrote:
7 months ago
Gristgrub BG
Creature — Insect (U)
2/2

Oh, I assume this is the larva of a member of Grist's species! Are they all Grist, I wonder?

The ability is understandable, but potentially problematic in Dredge decks; just Narcomoeba existing was bad enough. I'm also thinking the ruling on this isn't quite as simple as it appears
It is the larval stage of a Grist bug! They probably are all Grist.

This is potentially problematic with dredge, but it is limited to once/turn. I didn't actually even think about dredge when I added the "first time each turn" limitation - I just didn't want it to go infinite immediately with Altar of Dementia. If they end up in the graveyard later, they can't come back that turn with additional mills. The ruling may not be as simple as it appears, but it should cover the majority of scenarios, which is a fine place to be for reminder text - I mostly wanted it to clarify whether or not it triggers when you mill it off the top from, say, Grist!

Glad you liked the design enough for the win!
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Cythare wrote:
7 months ago
It is the larval stage of a Grist bug! They probably are all Grist.
Yes this is true. P.S. I am Grist
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cythare wrote:
7 months ago
The ruling may not be as simple as it appears, but it should cover the majority of scenarios, which is a fine place to be for reminder text - I mostly wanted it to clarify whether or not it triggers when you mill it off the top from, say, Grist!
The problem is that it might not work as intended; see the rulings for Bridge from Below.

For Gristgrub, the intervening "if" clause means Gristgrub must be in the graveyard before the cards are milled; the reminder text is actually wrong. So to work as intended needs a completely new wording.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

7 months ago
So to work as intended needs a completely new wording.
Not that tough to reword: "Whenever you mill Gristgrub or one or more creature cards, you may return Gristgrub from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Do this only if you haven't returned a card named Gristgrub from your graveyard to the battlefield this turn."

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
7 months ago
Not that tough to reword: "Whenever you mill Gristgrub or one or more creature cards, you may return Gristgrub from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Do this only if you haven't returned a card named Gristgrub from your graveyard to the battlefield this turn."
This does change the functionality slightly; say you first mill creature cards. Then later in the turn you discard Gristbug from your hand, then mill a creature card again. Your wording will allow Gristbug to return, while Cythare's intended version wouldn't trigger off the second mill.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yeah, but I think that's more like what the design would look like today, especially in a MH product, but let's not get too far off-topic and think about 2WU permanents

Sporegorger_Dragon

Hoarfrost Hippogriff
2{W}{U}
Creature - Hippogriff (U)
Kicker {W} and/or {U}
Flying
When Hoarfrost Hippogriff enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls, then put a stun counter on it for each time Hoarfrost Hippogriff was kicked.
3/2

IIW: Lizard

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

7 months ago
void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
7 months ago
This does change the functionality slightly; say you first mill creature cards. Then later in the turn you discard Gristbug from your hand, then mill a creature card again. Your wording will allow Gristbug to return, while Cythare's intended version wouldn't trigger off the second mill.
Ah I see what you're saying. The rewording is pretty straightforward though - "Whenever you mill Gristgrub and/or one or more other creature cards for the first time in a turn, you may return Gristgrub from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped."

I want the ability to be worded such that multiple Gristgrubs can return off of the same mill action as long as they're all in the graveyard before or because of the mill.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 7 months ago

Nyeta of the Last Rites 2WU
Legendary Planeswalker — Nyeta {M}
[+2]: You may tap or untap target permanent, then you may tap or untap another target permanent.
[-2]: Exile target creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
[-8]: Exile all creatures. For each creature exiled this way, you create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
{4}

IIW: timeshifted cards
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 7 months ago

Cassie's Collection 2WU
Enchantment - Saga
|, ||, ||| - Create a token that's a copy of target creature, except its name is archetype, it isn't legendary, and it's power and toughness are 1/1 as long as it's on the battlefield.
IV - Exile all creatures named archetype you control, and create a white and blue avatar creature token named "True self". True self has base power equal to the total base power of cards exiled this way, and base toughness equal to the total base toughness of cards exiled this way. True Self also has all abilities of all cards exiled this way.

The problem with making a psaga based on psychonauts 2 minds is that so many of them fall into "do a thing 3 times, then maybe boss fight."
IIW: Battle of the bands.

Ulka

7 months ago
On a bit of a Kird Ape streak, eh? You took void_nothing's advice, so you made it a 0/1, but you still left off the flying!
%$#%$#% IT.... this is what I get for trying to edit on my phone...

Universal Balance 2WU
Sorcery (U)
Cleave 4WU
Each player chooses a number of creatures they control equal to the number of creatures controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then returns the rest to thier owners hand. [Players return lands and then discard cards the same way.]

IIW: IIW: a card from the new hit draft set: Planar Chaos Part 2: Chaos Ensues

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 7 months ago

Storm's Eye Blessing 2WU
Enchantment (U)
When Storm's Eye Blessing enters the battlefield, scry 4 and gain 4 life.
: Return target attacking creature to its owner's hand. Activate this ability only if two or more creatures are attacking you or planeswalkers you control.

Crackdown on Capenna 2WU
Battle- Campaign (R)
(As a Campaign enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, create two tokens that are copies of it.)
1,T: Create a 1/1 white and blue Human Soldier creature token. Detain up to one target creature or artifact. Activate this ability as a sorcery. (Until your next turn, that creature or artifact can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
]5[

IIW: Cards costing 5.

Ulka

Conflux Sicklebeak 2WU
Creature - Bird
Flying
DomainT: Add one mana of the basic land type among lands you control.
Domain — Conflux Sicklebeak's power and toughness are each equal to the number of basic land types among lands you control.
*/*

IIW:More kird ape esque crap

Megiddo
MEG

Equity 2WU
Creature - Incarnation {R}
Flying
When Equity enters the battlefield, each player draws a card.
Whenever an opponent draws their second card each turn, you draw a card.
Whenever an opponent attacks with two or more creatures, return Equity from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2

IIW: More Incarnations
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

I'm going to be judging an RCQ all day tomorrow, so let's keep this moving today!
Entries
Show
Hide
7 months ago
Hoarfrost Hippogriff
2{W}{U}
Creature - Hippogriff (U)
Kicker {W} and/or {U}
Flying
When Hoarfrost Hippogriff enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls, then put a stun counter on it for each time Hoarfrost Hippogriff was kicked.
3/2

IIW: Lizard
I like the rate on this for a Limited uncommon. You can either use it to tap down a blocker if you're curving out or sit on it for some extra turns off. It'll be a solid topdeck in a 2-color deck, and it would be interesting to see how often people would hold onto it for longer than they should to try and get the maximum value out of it as a 6-drop. I'm also glad that you went with two separate individual kickers - I thought this was initially multikicker, which would potentially be a bit much in topdeck mode.
Megiddo wrote:
7 months ago
Nyeta of the Last Rites 2WU
Legendary Planeswalker — Nyeta {M}
[+2]: You may tap or untap target permanent, then you may tap or untap another target permanent.
[-2]: Exile target creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
[-8]: Exile all creatures. For each creature exiled this way, you create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
{4}

IIW: timeshifted cards
The secret Azorius Garruk Wildspeaker variant! The +2 allowing you to untap two lands to hold up Counterspell while going to 6 is very big game, and would be a big swing if you have a board presence to ensure she survives. The -2 is a solid way of protecting herself, and the token having flying provides some interesting tension in potentially not being able to -2 her two turns in a row.
chetoos wrote:
7 months ago
Cassie's Collection 2WU
Enchantment - Saga
|, ||, ||| - Create a token that's a copy of target creature, except its name is archetype, it isn't legendary, and it's power and toughness are 1/1 as long as it's on the battlefield.
IV - Exile all creatures named archetype you control, and create a white and blue avatar creature token named "True self". True self has base power equal to the total base power of cards exiled this way, and base toughness equal to the total base toughness of cards exiled this way. True Self also has all abilities of all cards exiled this way.

The problem with making a psaga based on psychonauts 2 minds is that so many of them fall into "do a thing 3 times, then maybe boss fight."
IIW: Battle of the bands.
I've never played any Psychonauts games, so the reference doesn't directly speak to me, but the general idea of the card is grokkable. It is unfortunately a built-in nonbo - tokens aren't cards, so the True Self will always be a 0/0 (since it can't find any cards exiled this way). This would work as a digital design that conjures copies of the cards onto the battlefield with the noted effects. The idea is pretty neat, though, and it would probably be fun to have in an Alchemy draft.
Ulka wrote:
7 months ago
7 months ago
On a bit of a Kird Ape streak, eh? You took void_nothing's advice, so you made it a 0/1, but you still left off the flying!
%$#%$#% IT.... this is what I get for trying to edit on my phone...

Universal Balance 2WU
Sorcery (U)
Cleave 4WU
Each player chooses a number of creatures they control equal to the number of creatures controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then returns the rest to thier owners hand. [Players return lands and then discard cards the same way.]

IIW: IIW: a card from the new hit draft set: Planar Chaos Part 2: Chaos Ensues
This isn't a permanent. That said, it is a neat balance variant, and both modes feel very Azorius, while accomplishing notably different goals.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
7 months ago
Storm's Eye Blessing 2WU
Enchantment (U)
When Storm's Eye Blessing enters the battlefield, scry 4 and gain 4 life.
: Return target attacking creature to its owner's hand. Activate this ability only if two or more creatures are attacking you or planeswalkers you control.

Crackdown on Capenna 2WU
Battle- Campaign (R)
(As a Campaign enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, create two tokens that are copies of it.)
1,T: Create a 1/1 white and blue Human Soldier creature token. Detain up to one target creature or artifact. Activate this ability as a sorcery. (Until your next turn, that creature or artifact can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
]5[

IIW: Cards costing 5.
As an uncommon, I don't like that Storm's Eye Blessing lets you return attacking creatures multiple times - either across turns or in the same turn if they're attacking with enough creatures. I think this should sacrifice itself (maybe with some additional effect?). Also scry 4 is a lot.

The campaign idea is pretty cool in theory, but feels like it'll be difficult to logistically represent on the battlefield, especially in multiplayer. You need to make sure to keep it clear who is protecting it, but it has an activated ability that you can activate. The concept here has promise and I'd be interested to see something in this vein if the physical logistics could be addressed.
Ulka wrote:
7 months ago
Conflux Sicklebeak 2WU
Creature - Bird
Flying
DomainT: Add one mana of the basic land type among lands you control.
Domain — Conflux Sicklebeak's power and toughness are each equal to the number of basic land types among lands you control.
*/*

IIW:More kird ape esque crap
Is this supposed to add one mana of each color that a basic land you control could produce? I'm assuming it's intended to ramp, but it isn't clear either way. Having two domain abilities is pretty cool, but this feels like it wouldn't be an Azorius card if the challenge didn't require it.
Megiddo wrote:
7 months ago
Equity 2WU
Creature - Incarnation {R}
Flying
When Equity enters the battlefield, each player draws a card.
Whenever an opponent draws their second card each turn, you draw a card.
Whenever an opponent attacks with two or more creatures, return Equity from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2

IIW: More Incarnations
This card has a lot going on. The last ability guaranteeing that you draw two cards (maybe more in multiplayer) makes this very strong, and I'd maybe have it enter the battlefield tapped? Without that rider, it might be too effective of a rattlesnake, since it dies so easily with its 2 toughness. The design is really cool here, though, and I'd love to play with this card.
HMs and Winner
Show
Hide
HMs: Sporegorger_Dragon, Mergatroid_Jones for the Campaign concept
Winner: Megiddo for Equity, a decidedly not equitable card that I'd love to play
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

"More Incarnations" it is! Have a good tournament.

Ulka

😵😵😵 God I am just a %$#% show this week...

Megiddo
MEG

The existing incarnations, in case you aren't sure what the prompt means:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Aincarnation
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Despair
2{U}{U}{B}{B}
Creature - Incarnation (M)
When Despair enters the battlefield, if you cast it, target player draws two cards, then discards four cards and mills eight cards.
{U}{U}{B}{B}, Exile Despair from your graveyard: Target player surveils 2, draws two cards, then discards two cards.
6/6

Heartbreak
2{B}{B}{R}{R}
When Heartbreak enters the battlefield, if you cast it, gain control of up to one target creature or planeswalker you don't control until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
{B}{B}{R}{R}, Exile Heartbreak from your graveyard: Target creature or planeswalker deals damage to its owner equal to its mana value.
6/6

Disgust
2{B}{B}{G}{G}
When Disgust enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy up to one target creature or planeswalker. Its controller loses life equal to its mana value and you gain that much life.
{B}{B}{G}{G}: Put Disgust from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
6/6

IIW: Snail
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Magnanimity 2URW
Creature — Horse Incarnation (M)
Lifelink
Whenever Magnanimity enters the battlefield or attacks, target opponent gains control of a permanent you control.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Magnanimity deals 1 damage to them for each permanent they control but don't own.
Whenever an opponent gains control of a permanent, return Magnanimity from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Don't look it in the mouth.
5/3

IIW: Fish (not merfolk)
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”