void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

CCL September Signups/Round 2

"Calculations of Value"

Karn's Touch, taken from EchoMtG, by Alan Pollack and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Equalizing Month here at the CCL, where we'll be exploring things that are the same as other things or that equalize their values to other things.

Challenge
Design a card with "equal to (something's) mana value" in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Valid phrases for the challenge include "equal to its mana value", "equal to that card's mana value", "equal to that creature's mana value", etc.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Monday, September 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 20th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 21st-25th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due September 28th)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Komandon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Komandon » 8 months ago

Equivalent Exchange 3UU
Sorcery (Mythic)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact. Search your library for an artifact with a mana value equal to the sacrificed artifact's mana value and a different name then put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 8 months ago

Aether Zephyr WU
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target artifact, enchantment, or planeswalker spell. You gain life equal to its mana value.
Not all of Esper's twenty-three winds are malicious, but all are powerful.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 8 months ago

Awaken the Archives
Sorcery (Rare)
Exile target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard, then return it to the battlefield under your control, except it is a blue Scroll creature with base power and toughness equal to its mana value. When it dies, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Last edited by AnotherAlias 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 8 months ago

Frequency Attunement
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Draw a card for each creature you control with power plus toughness equal to its mana value.
A small subset of Quandrix students is majoring in mathematical music, and their artistry can rival that of the best Prismari students.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 8 months ago

Saheeli, Resources United
Legendary Planeswalker (Mythic Rare)
Saheeli, Resources United enters the battlefield with X loyalty counters, where X is the number of artifact cards in your graveyard.
+1: Draw cards equal to the mana value of up to one target artifact card in your graveyard, then discard a card.
-3: Each player returns an artifact card from their graveyard or exile to the top of their library.
-10: Saheeli, Resources United deals twice X damage to each opponent and each planeswalker they control, where X is the number of artifacts you control.
X
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 8 months ago

Vengeful Hellkite 3RR
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flash
Flying
When Vengeful Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target spell's controller equal to that spell's mana value.
4/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, round is now closed! Please critique all other contestants and post a top 3, and remember that we're cutting directly to the 4 top scorers from round 1 and 2.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 8 months ago

MonoRedMage: Simple, elegant, and I like that a dragon does something unique to dragons.

netn10: Strong but balanced draw card spell which, at sorcery speed, presents a unique challenge to deckbuilding.

AnotherAlias: Intriguing design that might work within the rules, but I am not sure. If it does, 6 mana is appropriate for the cost.

kwanyeegor-ii: A nice balanced counterspell that gains life is a pleasure to play for control players.

Komandon: Artifact sacrifice is strong but this is five mana, which is a lot to go right.

top 3:
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
2nd place: netn10
1st place: MonoRedMage
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 8 months ago

Komandon wrote:
8 months ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
8 months ago
Aether Zephyr WU
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target artifact, enchantment, or planeswalker spell. You gain life equal to its mana value.
Not all of Esper's twenty-three winds are malicious, but all are powerful.
I like the flavor text. This is nice and simple. And fits what Aether actually is IMO.

AnotherAlias wrote:
8 months ago
Awaken the Archives
Sorcery (Rare)
Exile target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard, then return it to the battlefield under your control, except it is a blue Scroll creature with base power and toughness equal to its mana value. When it dies, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Reminds me of an enchantment I use to run but was random. Only improvement I use do is have it face down to benefit from cards that that like manifest and morph. Like Magar of the Magic Strings. But to be honest you way seems better now due to the amount of text needed. Just maybe a has "when this dies you may cast it without paying its mana cost.". (Sorry I like to type while I think) So this Scroll creature type could be a nice mechanic. I'd like to see more cards that use this. I hope you take advantage of this sites custom card area. Since this really would be a nice cycle.
netn10 wrote:
8 months ago
Frequency Attunement
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Draw a card for each creature you control with power plus toughness equal to its mana value.
A small subset of Quandrix students is majoring in mathematical music, and their artistry can rival that of the best Prismari students.
Ok. The favorite text goes with it very well. Grammar feels of put I might typos so often. Originally I thought when I saw this days ago it was over powered and honestly kept going back to read and think about it. For tokens this wouldn't work due to it would only apply to Germs they would be dead of not modified. And I'm a math nerd. I honestly watch videos on the subject on YouTube as a calming mechanism. So it's not over powered it feels just right.
marioguy3 wrote:
8 months ago
Saheeli, Resources United
Legendary Planeswalker (Mythic Rare)
Saheeli, Resources United enters the battlefield with X loyalty counters, where X is the number of artifact cards in your graveyard.
+1: Draw cards equal to the mana value of up to one target artifact card in your graveyard, then discard a card.
-3: Each player returns an artifact card from their graveyard or exile to the top of their library.
-10: Saheeli, Resources United deals twice X damage to each opponent and each planeswalker they control, where X is the number of artifacts you control.
X
Only may issue is the word "discard" instead of exile in the first ability. But I'm old played since 94 and I think I remember that was what it was called in the pre-back pain days. (Grammar, typos and what terminology I don't use in my over all opinions. I'm bad at all.) The loyalty counts being X but not based on the cost I like too. If it was creatures or lands it would be over powered. But can be abused nicely in blue and red decks.

MonoRedMage wrote:
8 months ago
Vengeful Hellkite 3RR
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flash
Flying
When Vengeful Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target spell's controller equal to that spell's mana value.
4/4
I like this. It seems evil. Maybe a bit cheap for flash and damage. But the average spell is normally less than 3 and this is a rare unlike Red Dragon or Volcanic Dragon. Those those do cost 4RR. 🤔.

Top 3:

1st Netn10
2nd AnotherAlias
3rd kwanyeegor-ii

This was the hardest time I ever had to pick top 3. Honestly I would be ok if there are ties and I didn't make it because you all deserve to advance.

(Note: Thank you voids_nothing for the BB code to do the red spoiler. )

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 8 months ago

1 - AnotherAlias
2 - netn10
3 - Komandon

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 8 months ago

Top 3:
3rd: kwanyeegor-ii
2nd: Komandon
1st: netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our top four contestants:

AnotherAlias
netn10
Komandon
marioguy3

Next round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”