NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 9 months ago

Deathmask Orchid
2{B}{G}
Creature - Plant (U)
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token with decayed.
Sacrifice another creature: Deathmask Orchid gets +2/+2 until end of turn. You gain 2 life. Activate this ability only once per turn.
3/4
Watered by blood, pollinated by zombies.

IIW: Fruit
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 9 months ago

Harvest the Crop RG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target land. Its controller conjures a card named Black Lotus onto the battlefield.

IIW: Legendary insects
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 9 months ago

Lotus Trellis 4
Artifact Creature - Plant Wall (R)
Defender
: Add one mana of any color.
, Sacrifice Lotus Trellis: Add three mana of any one color.
0/3

IIW: "if this spell was foretold"

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 9 months ago

Judging tonight

Whoops, I forgot and went to sleep. Judging now.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 9 months ago

Loves me Not... XW
Sorcery {M}
Choose one —
• If X is even, return target permanent card with mana value X from your graveyard to the battlefield. (Zero is even.)
• If X is odd, destroy all permanents with mana value X.

IIW: frauds
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 9 months ago

If there's still time before judgeing goes through, I'd like to change how the fire shield counter works, from granting firebreathing to granting an attack trigger for 2 damage to target creature defending player controls. This way it mirrors how the ice shield counter would work, either putting a stun counter on a creature if it's tapped, otherwise tapping it.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 9 months ago

Three mana of any one color
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
9 months ago
Budding Lotus 0
Artifact {M}
Reveal Budding Lotus as you draft it and note its draft position.
1+ | T, Sacrifice Budding Lotus: Add C.
5+ | Instead, add one mana of any color.
9+ | Instead, add three mana of any one color.

IIW: More Conspiracy-style draft matters cards.
The weakest form is a colorless Lotus Petal, which would be a worthwhile card on its own if it weren't draft-only. But the inherent card-disadvantage of Petal makes it much less powerful in limited than in constructed. Turning into a straight up Black Lotus is a different matter: five drops on turn two are pretty good.

So hate-drafted on pick 7-8 and then not played seems like a likely fate for this card. I've played Lotus Petal in cube, and my verdict is that Elvish/Simian Spirit Guide are better since they have a backup body. And they're only okay. Petal is only really worth it with an artifact recursion strategy.
spacemonaut wrote:
9 months ago
Smell the Roses 1W
Instant (U)
Target attacking creature phases out until the next time its controller attacks with one or more creatures. It phases in tapped and attacking.
Draw a card.

IIW: Tarkir or Kylem meet the multiverse
I like phasing in and out, but I'm not crazy about phasing out until a trigger. I feel exile is better for that. But I love the flavor, and I appreciate that it's not yet another black lotus variant.
9 months ago
Blank Lotus
Artifact (M)
When Blank Lotus is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, add CCC.

IIW: Camouflage [cost] (You may cast this for its camouflage cost. If you do, put it over a creature you control. It camouflages into this creature with all the abilities under it. Return the camouflage to your hand at the beginning of the end step.)
It's broken if you can get into the packaging, but it should take a bit of time for that. Nonetheless, a deck built to exploit this will reliably be doing so on turn two, and the thing they power out will probably be something that recurs blank lotuses. Play a huge colorless bomb, and call it a day. It sounds like a constructed deck that might be competitive, but would surely not be more degenerate than anything else. Still, a card this dangerous should probably not see the light of day. I think the safest fix would be to have it exile when you produce the mana.
chetoos wrote:
9 months ago
Fire Flower Field 2R
Enchantment
When this enters the battlefield, put a fire shield counter on target creature you control. (A fire shield counter acts as a shield counter, and as long as the pokemon has the fire shield counter, it has "1r: this creature gets +2/+0")
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may pay 2RR. If you do, put a fire shield counter on target creature you control.

IIW: Universes within versions of universes beyond Super Mario cards.
What's a pokemon? Unfortunately, you really need the shield reminder text too. It's gonna get wordy. Are there other types of shields? I like the concept, but I think the implementation as a mechanic needs a few tweaks.
chetoos wrote:
9 months ago
If there's still time before judgeing goes through, I'd like to change how the fire shield counter works, from granting firebreathing to granting an attack trigger for 2 damage to target creature defending player controls. This way it mirrors how the ice shield counter would work, either putting a stun counter on a creature if it's tapped, otherwise tapping it.
It looks like you answered a few of the questions I had. So fire and ice shields also grant an attack trigger. Shocking a creature with every attack is pretty damn powerful, and importantly it also destroys an enemy's shield. Ice shields are pretty crazy too, and cracking the shield will become an important mini game. You get a mini Inferno or Frost Titan.

I think it's just a little too relevant, and it would be better if fire shield granted 1 damage on attack trigger, and ice shield merely tapped target creature. That way the counters can be granted out more liberally and it makes more sense to stack them.

An alternate build would be to grant the upside when the shield is broken. I think that might make the wording a little easier on the reminder text as well. (If it would be damaged or destroyed, instead remove a shield counter from it. When you remove a fire shield, it deals 2 damage to up to one target creature.) That way it would also be a tactical decision which shield to remove when you have multiple.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
9 months ago
Deathmask Orchid
2{B}{G}
Creature - Plant (U)
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token with decayed.
Sacrifice another creature: Deathmask Orchid gets +2/+2 until end of turn. You gain 2 life. Activate this ability only once per turn.
3/4
Watered by blood, pollinated by zombies.

It's a signpost uncommon, and a limited powerhouse. You have a source of zombies, and something to do with them, since decayed creatures are really quite weak. I've got no complaints. I also like the flavor that zombies act as bees to pollinate death flowers.
Cythare wrote:
9 months ago
Harvest the Crop RG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target land. Its controller conjures a card named Black Lotus onto the battlefield.

Weird card. To be fair, this doesn't have to be online-specific with the precedent of Garth One-Eye. There's plenty of room for the reminder text Garth is missing that tells you what it does. I guess you are probably targeting your own land here unless you really need to take out a problematic nonbasic. It's most reminiscent of Orcish Lumberjack: an old favorite of mine. I think this may even be a little underpowered. Maybe you could spring for hybrid mana.
lookingupanddown wrote:
9 months ago
Lotus Trellis 4
Artifact Creature - Plant Wall (R)
Defender
: Add one mana of any color.
, Sacrifice Lotus Trellis: Add three mana of any one color.
0/3

IIW: "if this spell was foretold"
I think this is my favorite of the black lotus references here. And I think should be uncommon. It does power out a mighty big card, but it does it on a four mana 0/3 with summoning sickness. I would cube this, especially if it were peasant legal.
Megiddo wrote:
9 months ago
Loves me Not... XW
Sorcery {M}
Choose one —
• If X is even, return target permanent card with mana value X from your graveyard to the battlefield. (Zero is even.)
• If X is odd, destroy all permanents with mana value X.

IIW: frauds
This is a pretty wildly different way to do an X spell. I gotta give you credit for that. The inability to destroy tokens, 2, 4, and 6 drops limits it along with the inability to bring back 1, 3, 5, and 7 drops. The most intriguing option is X=0, which not only brings back your 0-mana baubles, but also acts as a one-mana white Rampant Growth with a fetchland.
Winner and next
Show
Hide
HM to everybody who did something other than a black lotus reference. I particularly like all of those. But I will give it to lookingupanddown for Lotus Trellis.

Next: "if this spell was foretold"

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Predict the Weather 2G
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for up to two land cards with basic land types, reveal those cards, put one onto the battlefield tapped and the other into your hand, then shuffle. If this spell was foretold, destroy up to one target land.
Foretell 1RG

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 9 months ago

Repeated History 1UU
Instant (U)
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner's hand instead of into that player's graveyard and foretell this card.
If this spell was foretold, draw a card.
Foretell 1U

IIW: Adventures or traps
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 9 months ago

Herald of Cosi 1ur
Creature - merfolk Rogue
Spells you cast from anywhere other than your hand cost less to cast.
When you cast this spell, if it was foretold, exile the top 3 cards of your library. As long as those cards are exiled, you may play them.
Foretell 4cc
tricksters secretly prayed to Cosi, and every so often, got strange inspiration.
2/4

Iiw: universes within versions of universes beyond super mario cards (aka super mario cards, but with mtg names)eg: Cecily, Haunted Mage

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 9 months ago

Booming Storm XRR
Sorcery (M)
Booming Storm deals X damage to each creature. If this spell was foretold, instead Booming Storm deals X damage to each creature you don't control.
Foretell XRRR
The lightning razed Akros to the ground, and only those who heeded Anax's warnings and fled were spared.

IIW: Tarkir and/or Kylem meet the multiverse

Megiddo
MEG

The Prophesied Fire
Sorcery {U}
If this spell was foretold, add RRR.
Foretell 1R

IIW: Lands with a fun ability
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

The Prince that was Promised 1G
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a legendary creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle. If this spell was foretold, you may put a legendary creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you do, it gains haste until end of turn.
Foretell WUBRG

IIW: Non-humanoid nobility

EDIT: Fixing templating
Last edited by Cythare 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 9 months ago

Returning Flame R
Sorcery (U)
Returning Flame deals 1 damage to any target. If this spell was foretold, deal 2 damage to any target instead.
As long as Returning Flame is exiled, it has been foretold.
Flashback 1R
Foretell 1R

IIW: Adjust an existing rule to make it work for a new card type (ie allowing foretell play lands or flashback on creatures)
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post by avatarz » 9 months ago

Fated Birth W
Sorcery (R)
Create a 1/1 white Human creature token with lifelink. If this spell was foretold, instead create Aphero, a legendary 1/1 white Human Demigod creature token with lifelink, indestructible and "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on this."
Foretell 1WW

IIW: Camouflage [cost] (You may cast this for its camouflage cost. If you do, put it over a creature you control. It camouflages into this creature with all the abilities under it. Return the camouflage to your hand at the beginning of the end step.)

Megiddo
MEG

something brewing here about a miracle + foretell card.
MEG

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 8 months ago

Will starting judging in a few hours. Any more entries?

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 8 months ago

A wizard is never late
Sorcery
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library unless this spell was foretold
Miracle
Foretell 2uu

Iiw: same as above

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 8 months ago

Cycles of Maelstrom UU
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. It becomes foretold, and its foretell cost is equal to its mana cost. You control it while it's exiled. If this spell was foretold, exile up to two target instants and or sorceries from graveyards in this way instead.
Foretell 2U

IIW: Tokens with drawbacks

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 8 months ago

Visions of the future
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
9 months ago
Predict the Weather 2G
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for up to two land cards with basic land types, reveal those cards, put one onto the battlefield tapped and the other into your hand, then shuffle. If this spell was foretold, destroy up to one target land.
Foretell 1RG

I see cultivation and destruction. I like the exploration into multicolor foretelling and that extra color adding the mirrored effect.
Ulka wrote:
9 months ago
Repeated History 1UU
Instant (U)
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner's hand instead of into that player's graveyard and foretell this card.
If this spell was foretold, draw a card.
Foretell 1U

IIW: Adventures or traps
I see... a spell deterrent. The 2-mana to counter fear will extend beyond blue sources here. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
chetoos wrote:
9 months ago
Herald of Cosi 1ur
Creature - merfolk Rogue
Spells you cast from anywhere other than your hand cost less to cast.
When you cast this spell, if it was foretold, exile the top 3 cards of your library. As long as those cards are exiled, you may play them.
Foretell 4cc
tricksters secretly prayed to Cosi, and every so often, got strange inspiration.
2/4

Iiw: universes within versions of universes beyond super mario cards (aka super mario cards, but with mtg names)eg: Cecily, Haunted Mage
Nice to see UR colorless matters again since BFZ block. I could see this as just a mono-red card, but blue-red works too.
spacemonaut wrote:
9 months ago
Booming Storm XRR
Sorcery (M)
Booming Storm deals X damage to each creature. If this spell was foretold, instead Booming Storm deals X damage to each creature you don't control.
Foretell XRRR
The lightning razed Akros to the ground, and only those who heeded Anax's warnings and fled were spared.

IIW: Tarkir and/or Kylem meet the multiverse
The future looks like 2R might be the perfect offset to making mass burn one-sided. It's simple and gets the job done.
Megiddo wrote:
9 months ago
The Prophesied Fire
Sorcery {U}
If this spell was foretold, add RRR.
Foretell 1R

IIW: Lands with a fun ability
Storm looks to bank some foretell cards in the near future. Could be useful on whiff situations when all you have is mana, but at that point it's probably contributing to the whiff scenario.
Cythare wrote:
9 months ago
The Prince that was Promised 1G
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a legendary creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle. If this spell was foretold, you may put a legendary creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you do, it gains haste until end of turn.
Foretell WUBRG

IIW: Non-humanoid nobility

EDIT: Fixing templating
And the WUBRG spell, as was meant to happen. With as much legend support as it gets, I'd think this would be white instead of green, but it works too.
Ulka wrote:
9 months ago
Returning Flame R
Sorcery (U)
Returning Flame deals 1 damage to any target. If this spell was foretold, deal 2 damage to any target instead.
As long as Returning Flame is exiled, it has been foretold.
Flashback 1R
Foretell 1R

IIW: Adjust an existing rule to make it work for a new card type (ie allowing foretell play lands or flashback on creatures)
I knew the multiple mechanic cards would show up. That last line of non-alternate cost text really rounds out the card from "why did you draft this" to recurring Shock in Constructed formats.
9 months ago
Fated Birth W
Sorcery (R)
Create a 1/1 white Human creature token with lifelink. If this spell was foretold, instead create Aphero, a legendary 1/1 white Human Demigod creature token with lifelink, indestructible and "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on this."
Foretell 1WW

5 mana might feel a bit much for this fated legend, but it is over multiple turns, and I like the token upgrade idea in general.
chetoos wrote:
8 months ago
A wizard is never late
Sorcery
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library unless this spell was foretold
Miracle
Foretell 2uu

Iiw: same as above
Brainstorm into Concentrate? Predictable, but I do like making cards out of other cards.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
8 months ago
Cycles of Maelstrom UU
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. It becomes foretold, and its foretell cost is equal to its mana cost. You control it while it's exiled. If this spell was foretold, exile up to two target instants and or sorceries from graveyards in this way instead.
Foretell 2U

IIW: Tokens with drawbacks
Foretell²? Foretell³? Truly confounding visions. I do like the balancing act of just not taking 2 off the exiled card's mana cost like what Dream Devourer does.
Next
Show
Hide
HM: A wizard is never late by chetoos and Booming Storm by spacemonaut
Winner: Returning Flame by Ulka
Next: Adjust an existing rule to make it work for a new card type (ie allowing foretell play lands or flashback on creatures)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 8 months ago

I hit random on scryfall and this was the first result.

Controvert (alternate reality version) 2UU
Instant {U}
Counter target spell.
Recover 2UU (When an instant card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay 2UU. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, exile this card.)

IIW: Slow it down
MEG

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 8 months ago

Kill! Destroy! 1BB
Instant
Destroy target nonblack creature
Gotcha - Whenever your opponent names a creature you controlled that died this turn while Kill! Destroy! is in your graveyard, you may say "Gotcha!". If you do, return Kill! Destroy! to your hand.

IIW: Universes Beyond Super Mario, or their Universes Within counterparts.
Last edited by chetoos 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 8 months ago

Ashiok's Pendant 1UB
Legendary Artifact — Equipment (U)
When Ashiok's Pendant enters the battlefield, attach it to target creature or planeswalker you control. Put a +1/+1 counter or a loyalty counter on that permanent.
Whenever equipped permanent attacks or you activate one of its loyalty abilities, target player mills three cards.
Equip creature or planeswalker (: Attach to target creature or planeswalker you control. Equip only as a sorcery.)

IIW: Kylem or Tarkir meets the multiverse

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 8 months ago

can i just bring back the planeswalker uniqueness rule?
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 8 months ago

Polycephalic Hellkite
6{R}{R}
Creature - Dragon Hydra (M)
Flying
Polycephalic Hellkite can attack any number of battles, players and/or planeswalkers simultaneously.
1{R}: Polycephalic Hellkite gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
6/6
It grows additional heads not in response to injuries, but to threats.

EDIT: Huh
DoomstarUlka-DUNE-EN-C-1E.jpg
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”