NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 8 months ago

Defibrillate RW
Instant (R)
Choose one —
• Defibrillate deals 3 damage to any target.
• Return to the battlefield target creature card with mana value 3 or less in your graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn.

IIW: 2 mana value multicolored spells
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

Reversion Syndrome GW
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has base power and toughness 1/1 and "T: Add one mana of any color."
3GW: Create a token that's a copy of Reversion Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Calcification Syndrome 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Calcification Syndrome enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step and its activated abilities can't be activated.
3WU: Create a token that's a copy of Calcification Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Necroculism Syndrome 1UB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Necroculism Syndrome enters the battlefield, enchanted creature's controller discards a card.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-0 for each card in its controller's graveyard.
4UB: Create a token that's a copy of Necroculism Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Typhopneumia Syndrome BR
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has "1: This creature gets +2/-1 until end of turn" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, this creature deals 1 damage to you.
2BR: Create a token that's a copy of Typhopneumia Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Hyperatavism Syndrome RG
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has vigilance and haste and attacks and blocks each combat if able. Auras and Equipment not named Hyperatavism Syndrome can't be attached to it.
RG: Create a token that's a copy of Hyperatavism Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

IIW: Cho-Arrim Rebels of Mercadia
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 8 months ago

Doctor Grouse, M.D. 1BG
Legendary Creature — Bird Warlock (U)
When Doctor Grouse, M.D. enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target enchantment.
, , Sacrifice a creature: Another target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Tap it.
"At last, doctor, you saved him! And you only lost one of your medical licenses in the process!"
2/2

IIW: the primordials of the elemental chaos, the plane where the four elements swirl and crash together
Last edited by spacemonaut 8 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@chetoos judge?

(Also, if you want, I can critique your SU meld cards)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 8 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
8 months ago
@chetoos judge?

(Also, if you want, I can critique your SU meld cards)
I'll judge tonight. My son's school is closed. And that would be sweet

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Deep chetoos lore revealed (He's from the West Coast)

Okay so there are two gem fusion pairs here. I generally like the front sides - Pearl and Amethyst have their tribal lord thing going which they continue on the back, while Ruby and Sapphire basically both kind of reward you for playing the game, which is a ticket to value n fun. The back sides are both keyword salads, which melded cards tend to be so it's not too much of a sin, but I like Opal better than Garnet because it feels more cohesive (although why doesn't Opal also grant haste :thinking:). If the undying interaction works like I think it should, though, real clever stuff with Garnet.......

Pearl gets across her pointiness in her card, and with Ruby and Sapphire in particular the pics you chose clearly show what moment they're from (although, their separation doesn't take place until down the line, so hey). I guess I would have expected Sugilite as one of the cards, but that would have required a non-melded Garnet card and a second Amethyst, so.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

chetoos wrote:
9 months ago
I appreciate the win, but I'd also like some feedback on these cards from someone who has watched Steven Universe, just to know if they're as resonant as I was hoping for.
I also began writing a review earlier cause that's me! It is in depth.
gem review
Show
Hide
Wonderful color choices, lots of flavor wins, multiple mechanical issues I want to raise, overall great direction.

Pearl: A+!
First strike for Pearl is great, so is sharing it.

Amethyst: A-.
I like the running theme of granting abilities. I like that Amethyst is stronger when she has help. This has a bookkeeping issue to be mindful of however: her p/t will go down when our gems meld, which is a thing we want to be doing, so melding a gem could kill Amethyst (I can't believe I just wrote those words). Maybe she should work with +1/+1 counters instead, gaining them when a gem enters? Or given she's green, maybe something can give her or another gem +3/+3.

Opal: C.
We keep the same abilities and grant them, OK, good, we're not losing strength on the board as part of the meld.

However, granting Amethyst's ability to be stronger for each Gem we control to each other gem doesn't resonate as strongly with what Opal does. If any one gem did have an ability that said (basically) "Each Gem you control gets +1/+1 for each Gem you control", I expect it would be either Steven or Garnet, as they're the ones that lead everyone and keep everyone together. However, I think we should avoid this particular bookkeeping problem of an anthem that scales with gem count.

The burn line is a doozy but a reasonable attempt. It makes me wonder if "up to one target permanent defending player controls or protects" would be legit.

I love that Opal "pops" into Amethyst and Pearl.

Ruby: B+.
Really happy with the firebreathing and mana generation.

There's a few flavors of firebreathing nowadays. The archetypal case is for +1/+0. However, nowadays Wizards has often been doing 1R for +2/+0, or +1/+0 to the team (as seen on Garnet). This is for the express reason that if you're playing a two-color deck, paying RRRR for +4/+0 is steep, but paying 2RR for +4/+0 is easily doable. Given that's your exact scenario (you'll be making a red-blue deck) I think you want to give Ruby "1R: Ruby gets +2/+0 until end of turn" instead.

The meld ability for Garnet is fine. The meld trigger for Opal is also fine. It irks me a little bit that they work differently. However, I know Garnet is a special case.

Sapphire: A+.
Great flavor and mechanics.

Garnet: B-.
One of the big issues is Ruby and Garnet both devote space to +1/+1 counters, and Ruby and Sapphire and Garnet all have multiple p/t modifying effects, but the only effect that these cards have that put any +1/+1 counters on them is Undying. And as a payoff that's concerning: for all that work, the +1/+1 counter sticking is kind of a negative and a bummer, because when they fuse this time they'll die for real. I shouldn't want to get rid of the +1/+1 counter! I want to see +1/+1 being a positive payoff without negatives, and for all the p/t mentions and p/t modifications, I want to see Ruby or Sapphire work with +1/+1 counters on their own.

Okay, so, positives. I love Garnet getting team firebreathing. I love her giving you big mana generation and big scry for big attacks. I like that she has ward. I love that she makes the team stronger with an anthem. I am, however, iffy on her both having team firebreathing and also a team anthem; I feel like I want her to have one of those and stick with it to make combat math more straightforward. Of the two, I like the team anthem the most as the most resonant. I want to see that on a version of Ruby, Sapphire, and Garnet that each have an easier time generating +1/+1 counters without having to die to get them.

Overall impressions
These are really nice cards, with some significant weaknesses to patch up.
- Personally I feel we should avoid "gem count" math, because our gem count intentionally goes down as well as up even in a positive line of play.
- I'd be inclined to introduce a meld variant that packages in the capacity to keep counters, and packages in the ability to de-fuse on "death".
- I kinda want to see a consistent fuse condition to work towards, but I'm also interested in Garnet being the exception.
- Minimise the different kinds of combat math on any one card. One single kind of combat math is much easier to work with than 2-3 different kinds of combat math.

Here's my thoughts on a gem fusion mechanic. This introduces "fuses with" and "gem fusion", which use the meld rules. The "fuses with" ability is not very important, it's mainly consistency and flavor dressing. The "gem fusion" ability on the melded face is the important part.

(Although there's a mechanic named Fuse from RTR, and I think this is safe: "fuses with" and "fuse" exist in completely different contexts, and "fuse" will never have a "fuses with" variant like as seen on "partner" and "partner with".)

Steven, the Shield 1RW
Legendary Creature — Human Gem Warrior
(rules text)
Fuses with Connie, the Sword—URW (At the beginning of combat on your turn, if you own and control Steven and Connie, you pay URW to exile them and return them fused.)
2/3

Connie, the Sword 1WU
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
(rules text)
(Fuses with Steven, the Shield.)
3/2

Stevonnie, the Heart
(URW) Legendary Creature — Human Gem Warrior Knight
Gem fusion (This creature enters with the counters Steven and Connie had. When it dies, return them to the battlefield tapped.)
Haste
(rules text)
5/5

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 8 months ago

Ehar: a post-post-apocalyptic plane, where civilization almost ended when war-made mutagenic infections ravaged the nations. Survivors now live in huge domes, while the wilds are infectious mutagenic jungles. From time to time, a person starts exhibiting strange symptoms, which may be one of the dreaded Strains.

Choleric Patient 1R
Creature - Human Citizen (U)
Haste
When Choleric Patient enters the battlefield, create a Strain token attached to it.
1/2

Mysterious Strain
Token Enchantment - Aura Strain
When this token enters, secretly choose 1 to 6. Transform this token by paying the chosen Strain's cost.
--
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has [ ]

1: Draconian Strain
+1/+0 and flying
2: Fluid Strain
+0/+1 and hexproof
3: Enthropic Strain
+1/+1 and lifelink
4: Necrotic Strain
Menace and deathtouch
5: Spur Strain
Double strike
6: Growth Strain
+3/+3

IIW: secretly

chetoos

card reviews
Show
Hide
Megiddo1
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
9 months ago
Shock a Flatline 2W
Instant {C}

IIW: A new type of -folk (snake people, bird people, you know)
I'm going to hope that the joke here is that the described act does nothing despite medical shows doing this over and over again, because the alternative is that you just forgot to write a card. Fun bit, thanks :)
void_nothing1
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
Angel of Thunderous Peals 3W
Creature - Angel (R)
Flash
Flying
When Angel of Thunderous Peals enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. If that creature doesn't have flying, put a stun counter on it.
When you attack with Angel of Thunderous Peals and a creature named Cloud Refresher, if you both own and control them, exile them, then meld them into Tempestuous Choir, which enters the battlefield attacking.
3/3
///

Cloud Refresher 1U
Creature - Elemental (U)
Flash
Flying, hexproof
When Cloud Refresher enters the battlefield, untap another target permanent you control. If that permanent has flying, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
(Melds with Angel of Thunderous Peals.)
0/1
///

Tempestuous Choir
Creature - Elemental Angel (R)
Flying, vigilance, hexproof
Whenever Tempestuous Choir enters the battlefield or attacks, you may tap or untap up to X target permanents, where X is the number of attacking creatures.
6/6

IIW: Cateran Mercenaries of Mercadia
I'm not sure how I feel about a meld pair between rare and uncommon. I agree the cloud feels uncommon, but I also feel like the angel could be there too. I like having both care about flying here, cool set.
Sporegorger_Dragon1
Show
Hide
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
9 months ago
This is bound to happen sooner or later:

Fiery Scorcher
2{R}
Creature - Elemental (U)
Haste
At the beginning of combat on your turn, if you both own and control Fiery Scorcher and a creature named Icy Sluicer, exile them, then meld them into Hot-and-Cold Frostburner.
3/2

Icy Sluicer
3{U}
Creature - Elemental (U)
Vigilance
When Icy Sluicer enters the battlefield, tap target creature you don't control and put a stun counter on it.
(Melds with Fiery Scorcher)
1/4

Hot-and-Cold Frostburner
Creature - Weird (UR)
Vigilance, haste
Magecraft - Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, Hot-and-Cold Frostburner gets +1/+0 until end of turn and you create a 1/1 blue and red Elemental creature token.
5/5
"The juxtaposition of ingenuity and passion in Izzet's weirds echoes that of our very own Prismari." -Kasmina

Something from Yu-Gi-Oh, arguably it's most infamous and powerful Fusion monster:

Relinquished
3{U}{U}
Creature - Illusion Horror (M)
When Relinquished enters the battlefield, another target creature becomes an enchantment Aura with enchant creature, totem armor, and has "Enchanted creature gets +X/+Y, where X is this Aura's power and Y is its toughness." It loses all other types, then attach it to Relinquished.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you both own and control Relinquished and a creature named Thousand-Eyes Idol, exile them, then meld them into Thousand-Eyes Restrict.
0/1

Thousand-Eyes Idol
{B}
Creature - Demon (M)
(Melds with Relinquished)
0/1

Thousand-Eyes Restrict
Creature - Illusion Demon (UB)
When Thousand-Eyes Restrict enters the battlefield, another target creature becomes an enchantment Aura with enchant creature, totem armor, and has "Enchanted creature gets +X/+Y, where X is this Aura's power and Y is its toughness." It loses all other types, then attach it to Thousand-Eyes Restrict.
Other creatures can't attack or {T}.
0/1

IIW: Fruit
Izzet/Prismari weird: I like it, combining both to make a nice Peezy, and the other one is basically a carbon copy of a card from another card game. Fair, seems pretty strong, but dies to doom blade.
Mergatroid_Jones1
Show
Hide
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
8 months ago
Vedalken Prostheticist U
Creature- Vedalken Doctor (R)
Flash
When non-artifact a creature you control is dealt damage equal to exactly its toughness, exile that creature. Then return that creature to the battlefield tapped. It becomes an artifact in addition to other types.
1/2

IIW: Creatures with drawbacks
I think you need to make this a replacement effect, and something like "When a creature you control would die with damage marked on it equal to its toughness...", but a cool design. I'm a little concerned about the idea of a full body prosthesis, but cool concept none the less.
Megiddo2
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
8 months ago
Differential Diagnosis 1U
Sorcery {U}
Choose a card name, then reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all copies of the named card into your hand, then mill the rest. Repeat this process until you put a card into your hand or mill nine cards, whichever comes first.

IIW: a mechanic we haven't seen more than once
How did you know that House inspired this IIW? I feel like this is just "Mill 9" in dredge, since you just name Abandon Hope and watch 9 cards disappear. Plus, you can actually name a card you want sometimes.
Cythare1
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
8 months ago
Defibrillate RW
Instant (R)
Choose one —
• Defibrillate deals 3 damage to any target.
• Return to the battlefield target creature card with mana value 3 or less in your graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn.

IIW: 2 mana value multicolored spells
Calling back to when Kutner set a patient on fire, nice. I like me a good modal spell. This feels almost too efficient, but probably fine.
void_nothing2
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
8 months ago
Reversion Syndrome GW
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has base power and toughness 1/1 and "T: Add one mana of any color."
3GW: Create a token that's a copy of Reversion Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Calcification Syndrome 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Calcification Syndrome enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step and its activated abilities can't be activated.
3WU: Create a token that's a copy of Calcification Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Necroculism Syndrome 1UB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Necroculism Syndrome enters the battlefield, enchanted creature's controller discards a card.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-0 for each card in its controller's graveyard.
4UB: Create a token that's a copy of Necroculism Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Typhopneumia Syndrome BR
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has "1: This creature gets +2/-1 until end of turn" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, this creature deals 1 damage to you.
2BR: Create a token that's a copy of Typhopneumia Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

Hyperatavism Syndrome RG
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has vigilance and haste and attacks and blocks each combat if able. Auras and Equipment not named Hyperatavism Syndrome can't be attached to it.
RG: Create a token that's a copy of Hyperatavism Syndrome attached to target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

IIW: Cho-Arrim Rebels of Mercadia
This is a really nice little set together. I like the idea of a spreading sickness.
spacemonaut1
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
8 months ago
Doctor Grouse, M.D. 1BG
Legendary Creature — Bird Warlock (U)
When Doctor Grouse, M.D. enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target enchantment.
, , Sacrifice a creature: Another target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Tap it.
"At last, doctor, you saved him! And you only lost one of your medical licenses in the process!"
2/2

IIW: the primordials of the elemental chaos, the plane where the four elements swirl and crash together
And his best friend, Dr. James Wrenson. I like House being a warlock, that's a cool class to give him.
Juancu1
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
8 months ago
Ehar: a post-post-apocalyptic plane, where civilization almost ended when war-made mutagenic infections ravaged the nations. Survivors now live in huge domes, while the wilds are infectious mutagenic jungles. From time to time, a person starts exhibiting strange symptoms, which may be one of the dreaded Strains.

Choleric Patient 1R
Creature - Human Citizen (U)
Haste
When Choleric Patient enters the battlefield, create a Strain token attached to it.
1/2

Mysterious Strain
Token Enchantment - Aura Strain
When this token enters, secretly choose 1 to 6. Transform this token by paying the chosen Strain's cost.
--
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has [ ]

1: Draconian Strain
+1/+0 and flying
2: Fluid Strain
+0/+1 and hexproof
3: Enthropic Strain
+1/+1 and lifelink
4: Necrotic Strain
Menace and deathtouch
5: Spur Strain
Double strike
6: Growth Strain
+3/+3

IIW: secretly
I get what you're going for with this, and it's probably better like this, but I wonder if some twobrid mana and a random chance would be more interesting. Still, really cool, and I like defining a plane too.
winner, et al
Show
Hide
It's really hard to pick a winner here, since I like a lot of them so much, so I'm gonna let the IIW influence my decision.
HM: Juancu, spacemonaut
Winner: @void_nothing for the 5 disease auras.
Next: Cho-Arrim Rebels of Mercadia
review of the gem reviews
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
8 months ago

Okay so there are two gem fusion pairs here. I generally like the front sides - Pearl and Amethyst have their tribal lord thing going which they continue on the back, while Ruby and Sapphire basically both kind of reward you for playing the game, which is a ticket to value n fun. The back sides are both keyword salads, which melded cards tend to be so it's not too much of a sin, but I like Opal better than Garnet because it feels more cohesive (although why doesn't Opal also grant haste :thinking:). If the undying interaction works like I think it should, though, real clever stuff with Garnet.......

Pearl gets across her pointiness in her card, and with Ruby and Sapphire in particular the pics you chose clearly show what moment they're from (although, their separation doesn't take place until down the line, so hey). I guess I would have expected Sugilite as one of the cards, but that would have required a non-melded Garnet card and a second Amethyst, so.
I'm actually east coast, my son's class had multiple covid cases, so they're shutting down to give kids a chance to show symptoms/avoid being around carriers. As for why Opal doesn't grant haste, it's because she's created at beginning of combat, it'd feel bad if you didn't get to attack with her, and unfortunately, as spacemonaut pointed out, undying doesn't let you loop garnet. And Ruby and Sapphire are separated on the ship, why I used parts of Stronger than You as names of the cards. (Fury, patient)
spacemonaut wrote:
8 months ago
chetoos wrote:
9 months ago
I appreciate the win, but I'd also like some feedback on these cards from someone who has watched Steven Universe, just to know if they're as resonant as I was hoping for.
I also began writing a review earlier cause that's me! It is in depth.
gem review
Show
Hide
Wonderful color choices, lots of flavor wins, multiple mechanical issues I want to raise, overall great direction.

Pearl: A+!
First strike for Pearl is great, so is sharing it.

Amethyst: A-.
I like the running theme of granting abilities. I like that Amethyst is stronger when she has help. This has a bookkeeping issue to be mindful of however: her p/t will go down when our gems meld, which is a thing we want to be doing, so melding a gem could kill Amethyst (I can't believe I just wrote those words). Maybe she should work with +1/+1 counters instead, gaining them when a gem enters? Or given she's green, maybe something can give her or another gem +3/+3.

Opal: C.
We keep the same abilities and grant them, OK, good, we're not losing strength on the board as part of the meld.

However, granting Amethyst's ability to be stronger for each Gem we control to each other gem doesn't resonate as strongly with what Opal does. If any one gem did have an ability that said (basically) "Each Gem you control gets +1/+1 for each Gem you control", I expect it would be either Steven or Garnet, as they're the ones that lead everyone and keep everyone together. However, I think we should avoid this particular bookkeeping problem of an anthem that scales with gem count.

The burn line is a doozy but a reasonable attempt. It makes me wonder if "up to one target permanent defending player controls or protects" would be legit.

I love that Opal "pops" into Amethyst and Pearl.

Ruby: B+.
Really happy with the firebreathing and mana generation.

There's a few flavors of firebreathing nowadays. The archetypal case is for +1/+0. However, nowadays Wizards has often been doing 1R for +2/+0, or +1/+0 to the team (as seen on Garnet). This is for the express reason that if you're playing a two-color deck, paying RRRR for +4/+0 is steep, but paying 2RR for +4/+0 is easily doable. Given that's your exact scenario (you'll be making a red-blue deck) I think you want to give Ruby "1R: Ruby gets +2/+0 until end of turn" instead.

The meld ability for Garnet is fine. The meld trigger for Opal is also fine. It irks me a little bit that they work differently. However, I know Garnet is a special case.

Sapphire: A+.
Great flavor and mechanics.

Garnet: B-.
One of the big issues is Ruby and Garnet both devote space to +1/+1 counters, and Ruby and Sapphire and Garnet all have multiple p/t modifying effects, but the only effect that these cards have that put any +1/+1 counters on them is Undying. And as a payoff that's concerning: for all that work, the +1/+1 counter sticking is kind of a negative and a bummer, because when they fuse this time they'll die for real. I shouldn't want to get rid of the +1/+1 counter! I want to see +1/+1 being a positive payoff without negatives, and for all the p/t mentions and p/t modifications, I want to see Ruby or Sapphire work with +1/+1 counters on their own.

Okay, so, positives. I love Garnet getting team firebreathing. I love her giving you big mana generation and big scry for big attacks. I like that she has ward. I love that she makes the team stronger with an anthem. I am, however, iffy on her both having team firebreathing and also a team anthem; I feel like I want her to have one of those and stick with it to make combat math more straightforward. Of the two, I like the team anthem the most as the most resonant. I want to see that on a version of Ruby, Sapphire, and Garnet that each have an easier time generating +1/+1 counters without having to die to get them.

Overall impressions
These are really nice cards, with some significant weaknesses to patch up.
- Personally I feel we should avoid "gem count" math, because our gem count intentionally goes down as well as up even in a positive line of play.
- I'd be inclined to introduce a meld variant that packages in the capacity to keep counters, and packages in the ability to de-fuse on "death".
- I kinda want to see a consistent fuse condition to work towards, but I'm also interested in Garnet being the exception.
- Minimise the different kinds of combat math on any one card. One single kind of combat math is much easier to work with than 2-3 different kinds of combat math.

Here's my thoughts on a gem fusion mechanic. This introduces "fuses with" and "gem fusion", which use the meld rules. The "fuses with" ability is not very important, it's mainly consistency and flavor dressing. The "gem fusion" ability on the melded face is the important part.

(Although there's a mechanic named Fuse from RTR, and I think this is safe: "fuses with" and "fuse" exist in completely different contexts, and "fuse" will never have a "fuses with" variant like as seen on "partner" and "partner with".)

Steven, the Shield 1RW
Legendary Creature — Human Gem Warrior
(rules text)
Fuses with Connie, the Sword—URW (At the beginning of combat on your turn, if you own and control Steven and Connie, you pay URW to exile them and return them fused.)
2/3

Connie, the Sword 1WU
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
(rules text)
(Fuses with Steven, the Shield.)
3/2

Stevonnie, the Heart
(URW) Legendary Creature — Human Gem Warrior Knight
Gem fusion (This creature enters with the counters Steven and Connie had. When it dies, return them to the battlefield tapped.)
Haste
(rules text)
5/5

Honestly, not a lot to say, you wrote everything out well, and I like your points. I'm just glad that I got a nice lookover of my designs, and I like the "fuse with" mechanic design. Yeah, a "+1/+1 counter whenever gem enters" on amethyst would be great, especially since fusing would help her, and then defusing would also help. This is why Wotc has a design team, and doesn't just whip Maro until he spits out enough cards to fill a set.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

chetoos wrote:
8 months ago
This is why Wotc has a design team, and doesn't just whip Maro until he spits out enough cards to fill a set.
Oddly, normally we just whip Megiddo until he spits out enough judgments to end a challenge

Thanks for the win! (Based on CR 712.21c, it seems like you meant for Garnet's undying ability to return a Ruby and a Sapphire, each with +1/+1 counters, and then allow you to re-meld them into a Garnet with both those counters? That's the cool idea I was referring to.)

chetoos

void_nothing wrote:
8 months ago
Thanks for the win! (Based on CR 712.21c, it seems like you meant for Garnet's undying ability to return a Ruby and a Sapphire, each with +1/+1 counters, and then allow you to re-meld them into a Garnet with both those counters? That's the cool idea I was referring to.)
Hopefully the last of the chain quotes, but yes, that was the idea, actually. I thought you meant that they could loop endlessly.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 8 months ago

chetoos wrote:
8 months ago
Fair, seems pretty strong, but dies to doom blade.
Thousand-Eyes Restrict is because Thousand-Eyes Idol is , so not Doom Blade, but Go for the Throat.

To be fair, I did forget to indicate its colors.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 8 months ago

아이고…
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You go? Go where

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 8 months ago

Kyren Traitor
2{R}
Creature - Goblin Rebel (U)
Haste
Dethrone
When Kyren Traitor enters the battlefield, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
1/2
Some thought she had been bought out. Others thought she joined out of revenge. Many thought she was a spy. Only a few knew the truth: that she admired freedom and despised oppression, enough to betray her own kind.

Shady Collaborator
{W}{B}
Creature - Human Mercenary Rebel (U)
First strike
When Shady Collaborator enters the battlefield, if it entered from your library or graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Shady Collaborator and you draw a card.
2/1

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 8 months ago

Protest Reinforcement 3W
Creature - Human Rebel
Flash
Riot
While you're searching your library, you may cast Protest Reinforcement from your library.
1/4

IIW: Pets of the Planes
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Devout of Ramos 1RG
Creature — Ogre Rebel Shaman (U)
Trample
Whenever you cast a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to X target creatures you control, where X is the number of that spell's colors.
: Add or .
2/2

IIW: primordials and ancients

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judging tomorrow morning no matter what

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Ramosian Storm Sergeant 5WU
Creature — Human Rebel Knight (U)
Rebel cascade, Rebel cascade
Flying
3/3

IIW: 2-mana multicolor spells
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 8 months ago

Ramosian Rabble XW
Creature- Human Citizen Rebel (U)
Vigilance
Ramosian Rabble enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it if you cast it. If you didn't cast it, it enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters.
0/0

IIW: Mercenaries

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 8 months ago

Cavalry Captain 1WW
Creature - Human Rebel (R)
When Cavalry Captain enters the battlefield, untap all creatures you control.
Activated abilities of Rebels you control cost 1 less to activate.
2/2

iiw: suspend

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Jhovall Matriarch 3WW
Creature — Cat Rebel (M)
Vigilance
Whenever Jhovall Matriarch attacks, you may put a Rebel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
Whenever Jhovall Matriarch blocks, you may put a Rebel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield blocking that creature.
3/5

IIW: Cats
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
8 months ago
Kyren Traitor
2{R}
Creature - Goblin Rebel (U)
Haste
Dethrone
When Kyren Traitor enters the battlefield, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
1/2
Some thought she had been bought out. Others thought she joined out of revenge. Many thought she was a spy. Only a few knew the truth: that she admired freedom and despised oppression, enough to betray her own kind.

Shady Collaborator
{W}{B}
Creature - Human Mercenary Rebel (U)
First strike
When Shady Collaborator enters the battlefield, if it entered from your library or graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Shady Collaborator and you draw a card.
2/1

Kyren Traitor is... okay. Yes the original dethrone cards could have been Rebels but that ability is more associated with Fiora right? It's also odd to see a Kyren that wants to well... attack. Doesn't strike me as having much Cho-Arrim flavor either.

Shady Collaborator is a neat signpost uncommon but fits more with the Dominarian versions of the Masques block factions - see Rebel Informer/Mercenary Informer.
Ulka wrote:
8 months ago
Protest Reinforcement 3W
Creature - Human Rebel
Flash
Riot
While you're searching your library, you may cast Protest Reinforcement from your library.
1/4

IIW: Pets of the Planes
Riot - the mechanic that can grant haste, right? Some guild mechanics are genuinely unable to be used outside of their guild's colors and this is one. It sure is flavorful for Rebels, but... also please let's not have Panglacial Wurm be a thing repeatedly.
spacemonaut wrote:
8 months ago
Devout of Ramos 1RG
Creature — Ogre Rebel Shaman (U)
Trample
Whenever you cast a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to X target creatures you control, where X is the number of that spell's colors.
: Add or .
2/2

IIW: primordials and ancients
Talking of signpost uncommons, this one's nice! It's not white like past Cho-Arrim cards have been, yeah, but they have Ogres and Ramos himself is associated with WUBRG, so hey, it fits! Nice abilities, flavor and function fit, generally good stuff.
Cythare wrote:
8 months ago
Ramosian Storm Sergeant 5WU
Creature — Human Rebel Knight (U)
Rebel cascade, Rebel cascade
Flying
3/3

IIW: 2-mana multicolor spells
Restricted cascade is such a neat idea because it can be both an advantage and a drawback (limiting your options while also narrowing down on things you might want to specifically cast). Double cascade on an uncommon is... rather wild... but all in all I like this. Just don't try Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero-ing this out.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
8 months ago
Ramosian Rabble XW
Creature- Human Citizen Rebel (U)
Vigilance
Ramosian Rabble enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it if you cast it. If you didn't cast it, it enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters.
0/0

IIW: Mercenaries
Interesting idea for a Rebel X creature, but I'm torn on how many counters it should enter with if you cheat it out. Two is reasonable but a bit weak, while three is splashier but maybe too much?
wizyard wrote:
8 months ago
Cavalry Captain 1WW
Creature - Human Rebel (R)
When Cavalry Captain enters the battlefield, untap all creatures you control.
Activated abilities of Rebels you control cost 1 less to activate.
2/2

iiw: suspend
Great tribal lord-ish creature that lacks the Training Grounds limitation clause. Function's very good and sensible, name and flavor are rather generic.
Cythare wrote:
8 months ago
Jhovall Matriarch 3WW
Creature — Cat Rebel (M)
Vigilance
Whenever Jhovall Matriarch attacks, you may put a Rebel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
Whenever Jhovall Matriarch blocks, you may put a Rebel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield blocking that creature.
3/5

IIW: Cats
Jhovalls! Gotta love jhovalls. Brimaz, King of Oreskos inspo? This looks fine - a total bomb but you have to have a bunch of cards in hand to make it effective. Rebel aggro-control finisher? Anyway, points for the deep Mercadia flavor.

HMs: Cythare for both entries, wizyard
Winner: @spacemonaut
Next: primordials and ancients

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 8 months ago

you really got in under the wire there
MEG

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 8 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
8 months ago

I like that the deep chetoos lore is that hes from the West Coast, and not that he has a kid lol.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”