[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Card of the Day 2019-07-26: >

Eerie Piper GU
Creature — Elf Bard (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever you draw a card, you may discard a land card. If you do, create a 1/1 blue Elemental Bird creature token with flying.
1/1

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Card of the Day 2019-07-26:
Interesting! I almost wonder if this could be a little more aggressive P/T wise, but overall it's a straightforward, clever idea imo.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-07-27: >

Mishra's Foreworker 4
Artifact Creature — Assembly-Worker (C)
~ has all names of artifact cards in addition to its name. (This is effective at all times.)
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I like a lot of the latest ones. More detailed comments possibly later.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

I'm happy about every comment I receive (no matter how argumentative I get). : )

Card of the Day 2019-07-28: >

Aminatou's Memento WUB
Sorcery (C)
Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library.
Put target nonland card from a different player's graveyard on top of its owner's library. Exile ~

Edit: Color of the rarity symbol was grey, but I accidentally typed 'C' rather than 'U'. Rarity is uncommon on the linked card. Since everyone thinks common is fine, I'll try it here. (2019-07-28)
Edit: "nonland permanent card" >> "nonland card"; added: "Exile ~." (2019-07-28)
Last edited by SecretInfiltrator 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I'm happy about every comment I receive (no matter how argumentative I get). : )

Ooh, that one is literally the perfect common for an Aminatou deck. Remove a threat and put your miracle card back on top of your library. Perfection.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

NUMBERS

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago

Ooh, that one is literally the perfect common for an Aminatou deck. Remove a threat and put your miracle card back on top of your library. Perfection.
I agree that design feels really good!

This is showing how out of touch I am with design, but three color commons are a thing? Eek. I need to do more to reacquaint myself with all the sets I sat out on.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

If you're in a wedge or shard set, yeah, you'll see plenty of tricolor commons. Alara block and Khans of Tarkir being the examples.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

NUMBERS

I suppose that makes sense! I have phased in every Ravnica block and missed a ton of design lessons from not following the game as closely as I'd like. Thanks [mention]void_nothing[/mention] !

SecretInfiltrator

I do three-colored commons, though I'm on the edge on this one - should it be an uncommon or common? It doesn't actually create card advantage, so it could be common. I'll try it at common, which actually was a typo. : )
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Unfortunately this does not work with miracle, which currently does not appear on any permanent. I am myself quite unhappy about this, but I feel if I were to replace "nonland permanent card" with "nonland card" I'd have to add "Exile ~." which I usually avoid. I have not yet decided which way to go.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Self-exiling is preferable. Having to target a permanent card in a graveyard might be too limiting.

I'm extremely amused and pleased by Mishra's Foreworker, although it is a big risk considering how bad a Splinter/Echoing Ruin/Surgical Extraction/Maelstrom Pulse can mess up your day if you have it.

That run of two-color cards all look good. I'm maybe a little concerned about Obsessive Tweaking, but storm decks surely have better options.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

NUMBERS wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago

I agree that design feels really good!

This is showing how out of touch I am with design, but three color commons are a thing? Eek. I need to do more to reacquaint myself with all the sets I sat out on.
Three color commons are usually only found in wedge or shard sets. I.e. sets with three color factions. I was rather surprised we didn't get any in Ixalan block.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Unfortunately this does not work with miracle, which currently does not appear on any permanent. I am myself quite unhappy about this, but I feel if I were to replace "nonland permanent card" with "nonland card" I'd have to add "Exile ~." which I usually avoid. I have not yet decided which way to go.
Second part of the card, the part that puts a card from one players graveyard on top of their library says nonland card, not nonland permanent. I.e. You bounce an opponents permanent, then put a card with miracle from your graveyard on top of your library. Which is what makes it good for Aminatou decks.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Three color commons are usually only found in wedge or shard sets. I.e. sets with three color factions. I was rather surprised we didn't get any in Ixalan block.
Well, Ixalan wasn't a multicolor block like the three other wedge/arc-themed blocks I could name off the top of my head. It was a tribal block where some tribes just happen to be three-colored. Did Lorwyn have common three-colored Treefolk?

Gold commons - especially with more than two colors - require a certain dedication to a gold multicolor theme (and appropriate mana fixing).
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Second part of the card, the part that puts a card from one players graveyard on top of their library says nonland card, not nonland permanent. I.e. You bounce an opponents permanent, then put a card with miracle from your graveyard on top of your library. Which is what makes it good for Aminatou decks.
If you check the post with the original card you will notice that I have documented all the changes I have made - including replacing "nonland permanent card" with "nonland card". I was always close to having the text be like that, but only changed it based on the feedback from this thread.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Well, Ixalan wasn't a multicolor block like the three other wedge/arc-themed blocks I could name off the top of my head. It was a tribal block where some tribes just happen to be three-colored. Did Lorwyn have common three-colored Treefolk?

Gold commons - especially with more than two colors - require a certain dedication to a gold multicolor theme (and appropriate mana fixing).
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
If you check the post with the original card you will notice that I have documented all the changes I have made - including replacing "nonland permanent card" with "nonland card". I was always close to having the text be like that, but only changed it based on the feedback from this thread.
Fair enough. I am not certain it needs the exile clause though, it is very rarely seen on commons, and it is far from a powerful card. It's a harder to cast boomerang that doesn't hit lands and allows for a slow regrowth effect in that you get the card on the next turn. And both effects at sorcery speed. It is not a powerful card. It is situationally good when paired with Aminatou, but other than that, it is simply decent.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Fair enough. I am not certain it needs the exile clause though, it is very rarely seen on commons, and it is far from a powerful card. It's a harder to cast boomerang that doesn't hit lands and allows for a slow regrowth effect in that you get the card on the next turn. And both effects at sorcery speed. It is not a powerful card. It is situationally good when paired with Aminatou, but other than that, it is simply decent.
It needs the self-exile because without the self-exile two of them combo to soft-lock the opponent out of playing the game. Returning to the top of the library is very different from returning to hand. The easiest way to see the difference is look at Griptide vs Unsummon. The difference is quite obvious. Both Common, both instant, both recent enough to use as a reference, one 1 CMC the other 4 CMC.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
It needs the self-exile because without the self-exile two of them combo to soft-lock the opponent out of playing the game. Returning to the top of the library is very different from returning to hand. The easiest way to see the difference is look at Griptide vs Unsummon. The difference is quite obvious. Both Common, both instant, both recent enough to use as a reference, one 1 CMC the other 4 CMC.
Good point. I keep thinking in terms of Commander where you only get one copy of each card (except in a few fringe cases).

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-07-29: >

Restoration of Kess UBR
Instant (R)
You may cast target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

NUMBERS

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago

Restoration of Kess UBR
Instant (R)
You may cast target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
This seems like a really solid idea to me. I take it you went with this wording over making it cost and the finale of promise wording so that you could use it on -cost spells?

SecretInfiltrator

NUMBERS wrote:
4 years ago
This seems like a really solid idea to me. I take it you went with this wording over making it cost and the finale of promise wording so that you could use it on -cost spells?
That was not a reason for me though it's a nice benefit. Really Finale of Promise uses X for two reasons IMO: (a) since it allows you to cast both an instant and a sorcery that's part of the discount you get; (b) it's part of a cycle.

This does neither, so the use of an X never even came to mind.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I like this one. Although it doesn't exile the spell you chose, it doesn't offer a cost reduction or allow you to cast the spell for free either.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-07-30: >

Shattergang Spree BRG
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice an artifact, creature or enchantment.
Choose one or more —
• Destroy target artifact.
• Destroy target creature.
• Destroy target enchantment.

NUMBERS

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
..This does neither, so the use of an X never even came to mind.
Good points!
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Card of the Day 2019-07-30: >
I like this idea too! Feels flavorful and elegant to me.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-07-31: >

Reverence RGW
Creature — Incarnation (R)
Haste
~ gets +1/+1 for each creature you control.
{R}{G}{W}, Discard a land card: Create a token that is a copy of ~.
0/0

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Reverence is fun! I used to play Saproling Cluster a lot and this is like that card's hyper-aggressive cousin! I think your multi-coloured token generation designs are the most exciting things you've designed and I like them a lot.

ps. Reverence is already a card, but don't let that stop you! Maybe something like "Compelling Avatar" or "Compelling Idol" might be an ok replacement for the name?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Synonyms for reverence: Adoration, Esteem, Admiration, Veneration.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”