July MCC -- Round 4 -- Fourth: Catharsis

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 9 months ago

(This month's banner is made from an image found on Wikimedia Commons, and ran through Blender for a little extra style.)

July MCC

Fourth: Catharsis

So, one of the challenges of telling a story with a card game is that players will often see the events of a story out-of-order, and the individual beats often need to be boiled down to the tiniest snapshot so that they can fit on a single card. For an example, I wasn't even really aware than Jace/Vraska were a couple until I read the flavor text of the reprint of Phyrexian Arena.

This makes storytelling very difficult, in particular because someone might never see the start of a story, or never see the end. So, to help with this, it's good to have multiple views of events. An example of this is Mirrodin Avenged and Elspeth's Smite. Both depict the defeat of that Norn thing.

In this month of the MCC, we've been building up stories and lore. However, the issues that plagues storytelling in a card game have reared their head here as well. Each new installment in the lore comes in the form of a single card, and that single card can't always convey all the details and context that it's creator had in mind. You need multiple cards to do that.

Main Challenge -- Make three instant or sorcery cards focused on ending the story you have been assigned in the clarifications below.

Subchallenge 1 -- No two of your cards share either a rarity or a color.

Subchallenge 2 -- At least one card represents characters that weren't present in the previous cards, but who were affected by the story.

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge -- First, a disclaimer: The lore in these stories are underdefined. Part of the challenge to you is to try to build up the rest of the world around whatever context you've been given. You need to try to wrap the isolated story you've been given in a larger world, and to give some degree of closure and completeness to the previous story.

You have each been assigned cards from the previous three rounds. Refer to the list below to find your assigned world. You are free to discuss ideas involved in the setting with the original creators of the cards, but, ultimately, the reigns are in your hands, and you can take the lore in whatever direction you would like.

slimytrout - Genesis, Pernicious Tyrant, by netn10, Ynara, the Last Fabricator, by slimytrout, and Technological Reclamation, by Riria
Riria - Her Cruel Intent Upon Them, by Freyleyes, Cesia, the Caregiver, by Henlock, and Fall of the Heavens, by slimytrout

Subchallenge 1 -- So, if one of your cards is a blue rare, neither of the other cards can be blue or rare.

This challenge only counts the colors of the cards, not the color identity. So, a card that costs but which has rules text that makes it green, is a green card. Alternatively, a card with a flashback cost, but which costs , is a green card.

Colorless is not a color. If a player makes three colorless cards, none of them will share a color with any of the others.

Subchallenge 2 -- This challenge can be subjective. The judges will need to evaluate whether your card effectively introduces new characters and their relationship to the story.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, August 21st 2023 at 6:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Wednesday, August 23rd 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Rithaniel
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@Riria
@slimytrout
Last edited by Rithaniel 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Riria

Post by Riria » 9 months ago

Descent Aftermath 1B
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target creature with power or toughness 2 or less.
"A battle will always have casualties among the weakest, Cesia, no matter the values of the winning side."
—Lucilia, the Grand

Her Kind Intent Upon Them 1WW
Sorcery (U)
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Then put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with power 2 or less.
"A small obstacle before they bloom anew, sister."
—Cesia, the Caregiver

Heavenly Disjunction 1RR
Sorcery (MR)
Heavenly Disjunction deals 4 damage to each creature with flying, -1/-1 counters, or +1/+1 counters on it. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.
At the beginning of the end step, if three or more creatures dealt damage by Heavenly Disjunction left the battlefield this turn, each player gets an emblem with "You can't gain life. You can't cast Angel spells. You can't create Angel tokens.".
"Good or evil, all gods are fundamentally the same. Some may want our worship, some may want our support, some may want our well being, but absolutely none of them ever deign to ask for our input."
—Ajani Goldmane

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 9 months ago

Tyrant's Rebirth 8WU
Sorcery (M)
Tyrant's Rebirth costs X less to cast, where X is the greatest mana value among artifacts you control.
Choose one or both —
• Return an artifact card with the greatest mana value among artifact cards in your graveyard to the battlefield.
• Create a token that's a copy of the artifact you control with the greatest mana value.

Vengeance of the Machine 2BB
Instant (U)
If you were dealt damage this turn, you may pay 1W rather than pay Vengeance of the Machine's mana cost.
Destroy target creature.
Ynara sensed the presence of Genesis, and in her final moments she was unsure whether to feel regret or relief that the Fabricators would finally be gone from the multiverse.

Harm and Harmony 2RG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target noncreature permanent. Return up to one target permanent card that shares a card type with that permanent from your graveyard to your hand.
In the midst of all the destruction, Lysilda offered the great tyrant something it had never known: compassion.

Rithaniel

Alright, round 4 of the July MCC is closed. Now void and I will go through and decide the winner for the month.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Descent Aftermath doesn't seem all that appealing for anyone even in Limited. Everyone can kind of find something to like in Her Kind Intent Upon Them - turning an army of 1/1s into 3/3s is universally appealing - but Heavenly Disjunction puts flavor over function so much that only the most committed Jxnnies would like it.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Descent Aftermath is simple almost to a fault, Her Kind Intent Upon Them falls at a good level of complexity, and Heavenly Disjunction has way too much going on, a lot of which frankly seems like trinket text.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - The only thing I'd fault here is that Her Kind Intent Upon Them feels rare - compare to the similar effect of Tribute to the World Tree. I know Tribute does more things, but the overall impact is comparable.
(2.5/3) Balance - Her Kind Intent Upon Them, again, feels pushed for three mana, although it might not be especially playable at four, which is a tricky thing. Descent Aftermath is both sorcery speed and quite restricted in what it can target, making it a pretty low grade of removal, and Heavenly Disjunction is so situational it couldn't really be unbalanced, although it could possibly lock an Angel tribal deck out of the game I suppose? Again, a very situational thing, and if I played Giada, Font of Hope EDH I'd ask my playgroup to please not play this card because it would negatively affect more or less solely me.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The first two cards here are simple, perhaps overly so, while the last one has a number of quite unique aspects at the risk of overcomplication.
(3/3) Flavor - I can't fault any of this. It all ties in very well with the existing story.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Heavenly Disjunction has a number of proofreading mistakes, including an oddly ambiguous first sentence that is unclear whether it counts all creatures with flying or just those with flying counters, as well as a double period at the end of the last sentence.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 18.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Tyrant's Rebirth is potentially a Txmmy/Jxnny/Spike card, Vengeance of the Machine is pretty much a pure Spike card, while Harm and Harmony is a Jxnny/Spike card.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Although Tyrant's Rebirth tends on the side of being a little bit wordy, these cards are easy to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right on everything.
(2.5/3) Balance - Tyrant's Rebirth could enable some OP combos, but requires other OP pieces in the first place. Harm and Harmony might be a little pushed. Vengeance of the Machine is 100% reasonable.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Nothing earth-shattering, but some kind of unique idea is present on all of these cards.
(3/3) Flavor - Looks good to me - I get a real sense for the story.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Should be good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks fine.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both done.

Total: 22/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Judgments
Show
Hide
Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
9 months ago
Descent Aftermath 1B
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target creature with power or toughness 2 or less.
"A battle will always have casualties among the weakest, Cesia, no matter the values of the winning side."
—Lucilia, the Grand

Her Kind Intent Upon Them 1WW
Sorcery (U)
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Then put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with power 2 or less.
"A small obstacle before they bloom anew, sister."
—Cesia, the Caregiver

Heavenly Disjunction 1RR
Sorcery (MR)
Heavenly Disjunction deals 4 damage to each creature with flying, -1/-1 counters, or +1/+1 counters on it. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.
At the beginning of the end step, if three or more creatures dealt damage by Heavenly Disjunction left the battlefield this turn, each player gets an emblem with "You can't gain life. You can't cast Angel spells. You can't create Angel tokens.".
"Good or evil, all gods are fundamentally the same. Some may want our worship, some may want our support, some may want our well being, but absolutely none of them ever deign to ask for our input."
—Ajani Goldmane
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't like a removal spell that doesn't target big things, Spike would probably enjoy Kind Intent for a swarmer deck, and Johnny would probably like to try and build around Heavenly Disjunction. Timmy doesn't like the emblem that prevents him from playing angels, Spike doesn't like such a narrow removal spell as Descent Aftermath, and Johnny doesn't see much use to Kind Intent. Timmy likes buffing creatures, Spike thinks Disjunction is circumstantial, and Johnny doesn't get much of anything from removal.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Things are pretty good here, but the first line on Disjunction is difficult to understand. Does it hit creatures with flying or creatures with flying counters?

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I think sorceries giving emblems is the biggest faux pas here. Everything else is good.
(1.5/3) Balance - Aftermath is a throwaway common, too weak to earn any notice. Kind Intent is a good design through and through (I'd give 3/3 on balance if it were the only card here). Disjunction is a board wipe that can either be crushing or negligible.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - First two cards are fairly bland on the uniqueness scale, but the third is a really spicy dish.
(3/3) Flavor - So, I like the conversation between Cesia and Lucila. I particularly like that those two characters have become the crux of the conflict. This war in heaven feels like a personal thing between these two angels. The bit from Ajani puts an interesting twist on the whole thing, too. I think flavor is good, here.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Three lines too many on Heavenly Disjunction, as well as a double period.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Yep, three instants/sorceries focused on the fallout of the angelic war.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, //, common, uncommon, mythic, and Ajani Goldmane.

Total: 17.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
9 months ago
Tyrant's Rebirth 8WU
Sorcery (M)
Tyrant's Rebirth costs X less to cast, where X is the greatest mana value among artifacts you control.
Choose one or both —
• Return an artifact card with the greatest mana value among artifact cards in your graveyard to the battlefield.
• Create a token that's a copy of the artifact you control with the greatest mana value.

Vengeance of the Machine 2BB
Instant (U)
If you were dealt damage this turn, you may pay 1W rather than pay Vengeance of the Machine's mana cost.
Destroy target creature.
Ynara sensed the presence of Genesis, and in her final moments she was unsure whether to feel regret or relief that the Fabricators would finally be gone from the multiverse.

Harm and Harmony 2RG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target noncreature permanent. Return up to one target permanent card that shares a card type with that permanent from your graveyard to your hand.
In the midst of all the destruction, Lysilda offered the great tyrant something it had never known: compassion.
Design
(1.75/3) Appeal - Timmy likes Rebirth a lot, Spike thinks Vengeance is good in limited, but not otherwise, and Johnny might have some fun using H&H on stuff they've Bazaar Trader'd away (but not a lot of fun, since there are much better combos out there). Timmy only sees upsides on H&H, Spike sees rebirth as "win more," since it's only cheap when you already have a 6+ cost artifact, and Johnny is not impressed by removal spells like Vengeance. Timmy thinks Vengeance is cool, Spike likes H&H in the right meta, and Johnny is certainly going to enjoy Rebirth.
(2/3) Elegance - Vengeance and H&H are both super-slick designs, but Rebirth has a little confusion that goes into it. Making it cost less depending on the most expensive artifact you control can lead to unintended behavior when players decide to go for choosing both. They might not correctly predict what their highest mana cost artifact will be when they get to the copy step.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Nothing overtly out-of-place. Maybe H&H could be an uncommon, but it's also a passable rare.
(2/3) Balance - Tyrant's Rebirth is just a win-more card. If you can get out an expensive artifact to make it cheap, generally that expensive artifact should (hopefully) already be having impact. But, if you draw Rebirth early, it's a dead card. Not good for balance. Vengeance is absolutely fine, balance wise. H&H seems a little underpowered until you realize that it can hit lands, and then it seems like it's in a good place.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Each of these three cards do something a little bit new, but nothing here is exactly un-explored space.
(3/3) Flavor - Now that's an interesting twist to this story. Genesis becoming compassionate in its rebirth. The whole Genesis story went from one twist to another, too. First, there was Genesis being unbeatable. Twist, the ones who made Genesis actually beat it. Oh, but twist, it gets remade by foolish people who want power. Oh, but twist, in the process of Genesis being remade, it became a better thing. I'm sad for Ynara, of course, but I guess that's my fault for having round 3 induce a defeat. All around, though, great flavor.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Yep, seems good.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Yep, three instants/sorceries focused on the fallout of the angelic war.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, //, uncommon, rare, mythic, and Lysilda.

Total: 21.25/25
Scores
Show
Hide
Riria - 17.5
slimytrout - 21.25
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Rithaniel

Final scores are as follows:
  • slimytrout - 43.25
  • Riria - 36
And we have a winner for the July 2023 MCC! Congratulations to @slimytrout for winning the month with a series of flavorful and intriguing cards!

By luck of the draw, slimytrout wound up working on the Genesis storyline twice in this month. In the first pass, they added Ynara to the story. On the second, they had to deal with the fallout of Ynara being defeated in round 3. All-in-all, though, I think the story wound up quite interesting, as the flavor seems to imply that Genesis might be capable of change, which I thought added an interesting twist to the entire story.

slimytrout's cards can be found in the following links. Final scores were 22, 20, 21/21.5, and 21.25/22
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”