NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 10 months ago

Hydra Exemplar XGGG
Creature — Hydra Noble (R)
Colorstorm (For each color spent to cast this spell beyond the first, copy this spell.)
Trample
If Hydra Exemplar isn't a token, it gets +1/+1 for each other Hydra you control.
3/3

IIW: she-ra, he-man, and the kingdom of grayskull

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 10 months ago

@Cythare judge!

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 10 months ago

Rainbow Beam
Instant {R}
Rainbow Beam deals 4 damage to any target. If Rainbow Beam is a copy, it deals 2 damage to that target instead.
Colorstorm

I know we already had a red direct damage spell, but give me credit for twobrid.

IIW: more twobrid. please don't hurt my eyes.
MEG

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 10 months ago

Clusterstorm XU
Instant (R)
Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays X.
Colorstorm

IIW: A card featuring your favorite non-evergreen keyword/mechanic.

Megiddo
MEG

Nature's Palette 1GGGG
Sorcery {M}
As an additional cost to cast Nature's Palette, sacrifice a creature.
Search your library for a creature card that shares a color with the sacrificed creature and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle.
Colorstorm

IIW: a Universes Beyond card from a franchise that really has no business being in Magic
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 10 months ago

Sorry, didn't realize I'd won! Judging now!
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

chetoos wrote:
11 months ago
Chromatic Surge 4G
Sorcery
Colorstorm
Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn. If this spell isn't a copy, it gets +5/+5 and gains trample and "This creature can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less" until end of turn instead.

Chromatic Mire 4B
Instant
Colorstorm
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. If this spell isn't a copy, destroy that creature instead.

Chromatic Flare 4R
Sorcery
Colorstorm
Exile the top card of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may cast that card, then this spell deals 1 damage to target creature. If this spell isn't a copy, it deals X damage to that creature instead, where X is the total mana value of cards exiled from the top of your library this turn.

Chromatic Plunge 4U
Sorcery
Tap target creature and put a stun counter on it. If this spell isn't a copy, scry X where X is the number of stun counters on creatures, then draw a card.

Chromatic Renewal 4W
Instant
Exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield. If this spell isn't a copy, it enters the battlefield with your choice of two counters from among the following types: Flying, first strike, lifelink, +1/+1, vigilance.

IIW: More desparked walkers.
Overall: A cycle of 5-cost cards is a nice starting entry. I'd imagine that these are uncommon, so that's how I'm judging them. I'm not sure they're all quite splashy enough at rare, but I think a couple of them are above rate for a common.
Chromatic Surge - I kinda wish the "isn't a copy" effect required that it had to be blocked instead of granting additional evasion. I think that plays better with the trample than the current effect, although the current effect is likely to just end the game on the spot with a few colors, which I can appreciate.
Chromatic Mire - Solid black removal spell that is always at least a 5-mana Murder.
Chromatic Flare - This one might be a rare. I think this is the coolest of the effects, and it's definitely the splashiest.
Chromatic Plunge - This one's a bit wonky, and only drawing one card feels like a bust compared to the other effects if you're just casting it for 1-2 colors.
Chromatic Renewal - This one's a neat effect, and I enjoy blink support. This one being the only instant caught my eye, but it feels right for the rate and effect.
Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
Chromablast 2R
Sorcery (R)
Colorstorm (For each color spent to cast this spell beyond the first, copy this spell. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Converge — Chromablast deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast this spell.
Flashback 6R

IIW: Draft Matters Cards
Colors of mana isn't a thing that a copy remembers, sadly. This is explicitly noted in Bring to Light's Gatherer rulings. Unfortunate, because otherwise this is a pretty cool idea, and there's almost definitely a way to reword it to make it work.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
10 months ago
Butterfly Rearing
2{G}
Sorcery (U)
Colorstorm
Create a 1/1 green Insect creature token with flying named Butterfly.

Diverse Views
1{U}
Sorcery (U)
Kicker 2
Colorstorm
Surveil 1. Draw a card.

IIW: Glaring plotholes resolved by a card.
Butterflies! 😡 This spell isn't green (but fine as a white card that makes Spirits!)
Kicker feels a bit tacked-on here, but I get it. I think I'd just prefer this at 2U (which, incidentally, is pretty identical to one of the cards I made when this ability first came up - scry instead of surveil).
spacemonaut wrote:
10 months ago
Hydra Exemplar XGGG
Creature — Hydra Noble (R)
Colorstorm (For each color spent to cast this spell beyond the first, copy this spell.)
Trample
If Hydra Exemplar isn't a token, it gets +1/+1 for each other Hydra you control.
3/3

IIW: she-ra, he-man, and the kingdom of grayskull
The X here also feels a bit tacked on, but I had to double check that there wasn't a hidden value for X after I read the Hydra type. The effect is neat, though, although a 3/3 trample for GGG as a base is below rate these days, and triple pips are pretty restrictive. Still, a 4/4 trample and a 3/3 trample for GGG and one mana of another color is fairly above rate, so the low floor seems like a fair trade-off.
Megiddo wrote:
10 months ago
Rainbow Beam
Instant {R}
Rainbow Beam deals 4 damage to any target. If Rainbow Beam is a copy, it deals 2 damage to that target instead.
Colorstorm

I know we already had a red direct damage spell, but give me credit for twobrid.

IIW: more twobrid. please don't hurt my eyes.
I was surprised to find out that instant-speed deals 4 damage to a target is still limited to Char, Psionic Blast, and Rhystic Lightning (shoutout to Foundry Helix too). It's been a long time since I feel like Char's been a contender for a good card, so I'm all here for this. I appreciate all the different knobs you can turn here depending on colors and quantity of mana you have access to.
vishamon wrote:
10 months ago
Clusterstorm XU
Instant (R)
Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays X.
Colorstorm

IIW: A card featuring your favorite non-evergreen keyword/mechanic.
The floor of this is probably a below-rate card, since it's type-restricted. That said, if you're holding up WUB to counter an instant or sorcery spell unless they pay 9, you deserve to get them. This probably ends up being a fine card that could see some sideboard play.
Megiddo wrote:
10 months ago
Nature's Palette 1GGGG
Sorcery {M}
As an additional cost to cast Nature's Palette, sacrifice a creature.
Search your library for a creature card that shares a color with the sacrificed creature and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle.
Colorstorm

IIW: a Universes Beyond card from a franchise that really has no business being in Magic
Two Natural Orders! The quadruple-pips and only one generic mana probably make this reasonable, although if you can live the dream and cast it with Fist of Suns, you're going to be riding that high for a while (and hopefully winning the game)!

HMs: spacemonaut, chetoos for Chromatic Flare
Winner: Megiddo for Rainbow Beam, which I like more than my Colorstorm burn spell and may be stealing
Next: more twobrid. please don't hurt my eyes.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 10 months ago

Cythare wrote:
10 months ago
I was surprised to find out that instant-speed deals 4 damage to a target is still limited to Char, Psionic Blast, and Rhystic Lightning (shoutout to Foundry Helix too).
Flame Javelin?

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

vishamon wrote:
10 months ago
Cythare wrote:
10 months ago
I was surprised to find out that instant-speed deals 4 damage to a target is still limited to Char, Psionic Blast, and Rhystic Lightning (shoutout to Foundry Helix too).
Flame Javelin?
Oh yeah lol. That's what I get for restricting to mana value. I'm still okay with this decision.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 10 months ago

Jelly Mold

Sorcery (R)
Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of that card, except it's a 3/3 Fungus Ooze and isn't legendary.
Underworld cuisine can often be repurposed for warfare.

Lich's Gambit

Instant (R)
Until end of turn, target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains "You may cast this card from your graveyard. It costs {3} less to cast this way."
Never call a lich senile.

Crash Sergeant

Creature - Rhino Soldier (R)
When Crash Sergeant enters the battlefield, exile target artifact.
Alliance -Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Crash Sergeant gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
4/4
"I fight for my nation, but more importantly I fight for my family!"

Surprise Mutation

Instant (R)
Sacrifice a nonland permanent. Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card with mana value equal to 1 plus the sacrificed permanent's mana value. Put that card onto the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
The uncanny instincts of the wolf, the sly duplicity of the snake, and the shrewd cunning of the fox.

IIW: Salamander
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Forsworn of Kozilek {2/C}{2/C}
Creature — Eldrazi Knight (R)
Protection from colorless
When Forsworn of Kozilek enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a colorless card from it. That player exiles that card until Forsworn of Kozilek leaves the battlefield. (Lands are colorless.)
2/2

There isn't a colorless twobrid symbol available.

IIW: Cards with a monocolored color identity that promote multicolor play
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 10 months ago

Jund Command
Instant
Choose two —
• The next creature spell you cast this turn can't be countered and has Devour 2 until the end of turn.
• Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
• Sacrifice a creature then add X mana of any one color, where X is 1 plus the exiled creature's mana value.
• Target creature you control fights up to one target creature you don't control.

IIW: Cephalids
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 10 months ago

Carven Elf
Artifact Creature- Elf Construct (C)
: Add C.
Only she knows who carved her, and she has no voice.
1/1

Silver Vanguard
Artifact Creature- Construct Soldier (C)
The longer the war went, the further degraded the silver became. None could compare with the first year's increasingly scarce models.
2/1

Brazen Goblin
Artifact Creature- Goblin Construct (C)
Haste
1,T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
"Goblin trumpeters? No, he is the trumpet."
1/1

Shattered Simulacrum
Artifact Creature- Human Construct (C)
Shattered Simulacrum enters the battlefield tapped.
: Return Shattered Simulacrum from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each opponent loses 1 life.
"Mother help! I broke the glass man! And now he's back jagged!"
1/1

Folded Crane
Artifact Creature- Bird Construct Clue (C)
Flying
2,T, Sacrifice Folded Crane: Draw a card.
Its secrets hide in the tiniest folds.
1/1

IIW: Good creatures with weak stats for their cost.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 10 months ago, edited 7 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

will judge tonight.
MEG

VariousBoots

Post by VariousBoots » 10 months ago

Extinguish the Suns
Sorcery (M)
Converge — Destroy all lands target player controls. For each color of mana spent to cast Extinguish the Suns, that player searches their library for a land card and puts it onto the battlefield.

IIW: A gempalm for a different creature type.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 10 months ago

Desperate Finish 1(2/w)(2/b)
Instant (Uncommon)
Destroy target permanent. If W wasn't paid to cast this spell, you lose 3 life. If B wasn't paid to cast this spell, its controller draws a card.

IIW: flavor text characters

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 10 months ago

Cogwork Infiltrator
Artifact Creature - Construct
Skulk
Whenever Cogwork Infiltrator deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
1U: Cogwork Infiltrator becomes a blue Citizen creature with base power and toughness 1/1 named Legitimate Businessperson with shroud until the end of turn.
2/2

IIW: Cards for the next Conspiracy set
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Unravel the Threads {2/U}{2/B}
Sorcery (U)
Investigate twice.
Put three time counters on target nonland permanent. If it doesn't have vanishing, it gains vanishing.

IIW: Hellions
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Megiddo
MEG

watching baseball.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
10 months ago
Jelly Mold
Sorcery (R)
Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of that card, except it's a 3/3 Fungus Ooze and isn't legendary.
Underworld cuisine can often be repurposed for warfare.

Lich's Gambit
Instant (R)
Until end of turn, target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains "You may cast this card from your graveyard. It costs {3} less to cast this way."
Never call a lich senile.

Crash Sergeant
Creature - Rhino Soldier (R)
When Crash Sergeant enters the battlefield, exile target artifact.
Alliance -Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Crash Sergeant gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
4/4
"I fight for my nation, but more importantly I fight for my family!"

Surprise Mutation
Instant (R)
Sacrifice a nonland permanent. Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card with mana value equal to 1 plus the sacrificed permanent's mana value. Put that card onto the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
The uncanny instincts of the wolf, the sly duplicity of the snake, and the shrewd cunning of the fox.

These are all good. Multicolor twobrid is something I expected to see a lot of. There's a fun balance to strike with the twobrid cards between efficiency with the full color payment and a distinct lack of efficiency at max colorless cost. Here you have the added wrinkle of tricolor efficiency. Let me be a boomer for a second and throw it back to Shards of Alara, when Woolly Thoctar blew everybody's minds by being... a vanilla 5/4 for three mana (this card won a world championship). Even today, tricolor cards like this carry great weight of expectation for their power level. Anyway, I think you did a good job here balancing all of the concernsr.
Cythare wrote:
10 months ago
Forsworn of Kozilek {2/C}{2/C}
Creature — Eldrazi Knight (R)
Protection from colorless
When Forsworn of Kozilek enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a colorless card from it. That player exiles that card until Forsworn of Kozilek leaves the battlefield. (Lands are colorless.)
2/2

There isn't a colorless twobrid symbol available.

IIW: Cards with a monocolored color identity that promote multicolor play
Well there's no colorless twobrid because... what does it mean really? Well, we know, obviously, but it's such a niche type of mana IMO. The *real* tech with this is to have a card with four of these symbols so that you can have something that will trigger Sanctum of Ugin or Zhulodok, Void Gorger or what have you but only cost four mana to actually cast. That would be a fun reason to justify this new type of mana. In fact, I am now docking you for missing this.
Ulka wrote:
10 months ago
Jund Command
Instant
Choose two —
• The next creature spell you cast this turn can't be countered and has Devour 2 until the end of turn.
• Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
• Sacrifice a creature then add X mana of any one color, where X is 1 plus the exiled creature's mana value.
• Target creature you control fights up to one target creature you don't control.

IIW: Cephalids
More tricolors. Making it a command is cute. Brief tangent re: Commander color identity and the color pie here: In the most popular Magic format you can probably get away with more cards like this where you can't put it in your deck even if you in practice can actually break the pie. Black shouldn't be able to destroy artifacts, for example, yet here we are, for the low, low cost of 4B. I suppose you could run a mono-black deck with a Jund commander just to play this, but at that point what are you doing? And yes, colorless can do anything if it's inefficient enough; this isn't really a knock on the card, just an observation (that applies to most of you). I think that's it. Fun effects but maybe a bit incongruous.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
10 months ago
Carven Elf
Artifact Creature- Elf Construct (C)
: Add C.
Only she knows who carved her, and she has no voice.
1/1

Silver Vanguard
Artifact Creature- Construct Soldier (C)
The longer the war went, the further degraded the silver became. None could compare with the first year's increasingly scarce models.
2/1

Brazen Goblin
Artifact Creature- Goblin Construct (C)
Haste
1,T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
"Goblin trumpeters? No, he is the trumpet."
1/1

Shattered Simulacrum
Artifact Creature- Human Construct (C)
Shattered Simulacrum enters the battlefield tapped.
: Return Shattered Simulacrum from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each opponent loses 1 life.
"Mother help! I broke the glass man! And now he's back jagged!"
1/1

Folded Crane
Artifact Creature- Bird Construct Clue (C)
Flying
2,T, Sacrifice Folded Crane: Draw a card.
Its secrets hide in the tiniest folds.
1/1

IIW: Good creatures with weak stats for their cost.
All good. I like this. It's like the prototype of prototype. If anything this reminds of the Phyrexian mana stuff like Porcelain Legionnaire.
VariousBoots wrote:
10 months ago
Extinguish the Suns
Sorcery (M)
Converge — Destroy all lands target player controls. For each color of mana spent to cast Extinguish the Suns, that player searches their library for a land card and puts it onto the battlefield.

IIW: A gempalm for a different creature type.
If there was ever a card to have the "cast from hand" clause, this would be it. This is cute, but I don't really see a world where it's printable.
lookingupanddown wrote:
10 months ago
Desperate Finish 1(2/w)(2/b)
Instant (Uncommon)
Destroy target permanent. If W wasn't paid to cast this spell, you lose 3 life. If B wasn't paid to cast this spell, its controller draws a card.

IIW: flavor text characters
so... 3B = Destroy target permanent & lose 3, 3W = Destroy target permanent and controller draws a card, 5 = Destroy target permanent & lose 3 & they draw? And, of course, Vindicate.
Being that this is instant vindicate with extra flex the power is likely off. I like the various permutations here though. In particular, there's a satisfying symmetry to where adding W gains you 3 life and adding B causes the opponent to "discard" a card. Slap the word "nonland" in there and make it cost 2 instead of 1 generic and I think it's in a good spot.
Ulka wrote:
10 months ago
Cogwork Infiltrator
Artifact Creature - Construct
Skulk
Whenever Cogwork Infiltrator deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
1U: Cogwork Infiltrator becomes a blue Citizen creature with base power and toughness 1/1 named Legitimate Businessperson with shroud until the end of turn.
2/2

IIW: Cards for the next Conspiracy set
Another artifact makes an appearance. Natural use of the mechanic (I think I remember this was the predecessor to phyrexian mana in New Phyrexia design). This seems reasonably efficient (though 4 for a magpie might be too cheap?). Putting U in the body of the abilities helps with color pie issues.
Cythare wrote:
10 months ago
Unravel the Threads {2/U}{2/B}
Sorcery (U)
Investigate twice.
Put three time counters on target nonland permanent. If it doesn't have vanishing, it gains vanishing.

Much to consider here.

Winner: lookingupanddown
Next: flavor text characters
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Altonio the Aquarist
1{W}{U}{B}
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Whenever a creature you control connives, create a 1/1 blue Fish creature token with "This creature can't be blocked."
When Altonio the Aquarist dies, you may exile it. If you do, create two 1/1 blue Fish creature tokens with "This creature can't be blocked."
1/2
Altonio's fondness for rare fish proved to be his undoing.

Iname as One rulings means this works perfectly fine as a commander.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 10 months ago

If you search "—" in flavor text on Scryfall, you will come closest to getting the best results.

Fire Servant, Water Servant, Air Servant, Earth Servant

Jestus Dreya, Scholar of Elements 2U
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard (R)
When Jestus Dreya or a nontoken Elemental creature enters the battlefield, write. (Put a page counter on a Codex you control. If you don't control one, create a colorless artifact Codex token first.)
If you control a Codex with a page counter, the first instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell you cast each turn costs 1 less to cast.
If you control a Codex with three or more page counters, you may cast sorcery and Elemental spells as though they had flash.
1/3

Akoum Boulderfoot, Herald of Kozilek, Jagwasp Swarm, Primal Bellow, Valakut Fireboar, Vastwood Gorger
Chadir, the Navigator 1G
Legendary Creature- Human Scout Ally (U)
Landfall— When a land enters the battlefield under your control, write. (Put a page counter on a Codex you control. If you don't control one, create a colorless artifact Codex token first.)
1, Remove a page counter from a Codex you control: Chadir the Navigator and up to one target creature get +1/+1 and gain ward 1 until end of turn. Untap those creatures.
2/2

IIW: Good creatures with bad stats for the cost.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 10 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 10 months ago

Garl, Stitcher's assistant 2U
Legendary Creature - Human wizard
, mill a card: Add U. Spend this mana only to cast instant or sorcery spells, or cast spells from your graveyard.
, , discard a card: Target player mills 2 cards. Draw a card.
Whenever you discard or mill a creature card, you may cast that card by sacrificing a creature in addition to paying its other costs. That creature enters the battlefield as a blue zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
"Ludevic was too demanding, Geralf didn't even know I was there half the time. I swear, if Barton doesn't work out, I'm gonna go off on my own."
1/3

IIW: More desparked walkers.
Last edited by chetoos 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Garl, Drake Trainer 1WU
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Whenever you cast a creature spell without flying, create a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying.
"The trick is to bond them when young. Well, when the drake is young, that is. If the rider is young, they'll probably just get eaten."
2/2

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Sporegorger_Dragon

Stumphobbler Thuj & Toothlicker Harj

Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior (M)
Haste
{T}: Stumphobbler Thuj & Toothlicker Harj deals 3 damage to any target and 2 damage to any target other than an opponent chosen at random.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, untap Stumphobbler Thuj & Toothlicker Harj and amass Orcs 2.
4/5
"FIRE AT THUJ/HARJ!!"

Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

TFW no Crispy and Scarback
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”