Post by chetoos » 11 months ago

Judging sometime today

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 11 months ago

The One Electronic 2BR
Legendary Planeswalker — Terrin {M}
[+1]: The One Electronic deals 2 damage to target player. Then if you control three or more artifacts, that player discards a card.
[-2]: If you don't control a creature named Maquín, create Maquín, a legendary 3/2 white Warrior artifact creature token with first strike.
[-7]: Until end of turn, you may cast artifact spells from your graveyard without paying their mana costs.
{3}

IIW: only you can prevent forest fires
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 11 months ago

The Magic Schoolbus 2UU
Legendary Artifact Planeswalker (M)
The Magic Schoolbus remains on the battlefield if it has no loyalty counters on it.
Capacity 6 (No more than six creatures may be aboard the Magic Schoolbus at once.)
+1: Up to 2 creatures board The Magic Schoolbus. You get an emblem with "Creatures aboard The Magic Schoolbus have flying and ward 1."
-2: Up to 2 creatures board The Magic Schoolbus. Scry 2 and Learn.
-5: Any number of creatures board and/or exit The Magic Schoolbus. The Magic Schoolbus and all creatures aboard it phase out. When it phases back in, draw a card for each creature aboard it.

IIW: centipedes, millipedes, geopedes, etc.

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Many universes to go through, many worlds to visit. Let's get started.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Winnie the Pooh 1GG
Legendary Planeswalker — Winnie (M)
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, put a loyalty counter on Winnie the Pooh.
[+1]: Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, planeswalker, or battle, create a Food token.
[-1]: Create Piglet, a legendary 2/2 red Boar Coward creature token.
[-7]: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, create a Food token." and "Whenever you sacrifice a Food, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."
[3]

IIW: Exert
Oh bother, starting from such a strong entry will only make it harder to think think think my way through the rest of this. That said, I do think that Piglet should be his own card, and not just a token.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
from the vault:

Jezrien, Herald of Kings 2WW
Legendary Planeswalker — Jezrien {M}
[+1]: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature you control. You may attach an Equipment you control to it.
[-1]: Search your library for a card named Windrunner Initiate, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
[-6]: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have flying" and "Creatures your opponents control lose flying and can't have or gain flying."
{3}

Windrunner Initiate 1W
Creature — Human Soldier {C}
Windrunner Initiate has flying as long as it's equipped.
2/1

IIW: Cat
I've only read one or two Sanderson books, but the ones I did I liked so I'm on board here. Based on my very cursory glance at his wiki page, seems to fit, and well costed, except I'm not sure how I feel about white getting unblockable as an ult.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
11 months ago
Rick and Morty
2{U}{B}
Legendary Planeswalker - Rick (M)
When Rick and Morty enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, if you don't control a creature named Morty, create Morty, a legendary 0/1 green Human Child creature token with vigilance.
+1: Each player sacrifices a creature or planeswalker. Each player who sacrificed a legendary permanent this way draws two cards and loses 3 life.
-7: You may cast up to three legendary non-Rick cards from your graveyard without paying their mana costs. If you control a creature named Morty, instead cast any number of legendary non-Rick cards from your graveyard without paying their mana costs.
<3>

IIW: Larva of something
Something I know more of by reputation, but the reputation I know of does paint this very well, captures Rick's chaotic jumping around through universes without caring about consequences, always finding a new Morty to bring along.
Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
Meriwether Lewis, Great Plains Explorer 1WG
Planeswalker - Lewis
Whenever you search your library for a card, you may reveal it. If you reveal a land card this way, you gain life equal to the number of basic land types you control.
+1:Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put into your hand, and then shuffle.
0: Create William Clark, a legendary 2/1 white Human Scout creature token with "Whenever this creature attacks, you may put a basic land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped."
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature for each basic land type you control.

IIW: Domain Cards
I didn't expect literal American history to come up in this, but not bad. Bonus points for the pun in his name there. Once again, I'd rather important characters not be relegated to just tokens on a walker, though.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Skeletor 2BU
Legendary Planeswalker- Skeletor (M)
Teleport Away-- 3: Return Skeletor to its owner's hand.
+2: Evil Scheme-- Draw a card. Target player discards a card.
-9: Ultimate Power!-- Each player sacrifices nine non-Skeletor permanents. You draw nine cards.

The Sorceress of Greyskull wu
Legendary Planeswalker- Sorceress (M)
+1: Scry 1.
0: Exile The Sorceress of Greyskull. Create Zoar, a legendary 2/2 white, blue, and red Bird creature token with flying and "WU: Exile this creature: Return The Sorceress of Greyskull from exile to the battlefield. She can't activate loyalty abilities this turn."
-4: Create He-Man, A legendary 5/5 white Human Warrior creature token with indestructible and vigilance.
{{2}}

IIW: Barely used mechanics

(Skeletor should replace some of the permanents he killed, if only for balance)
lookingupanddown wrote:
11 months ago
Tsukasa Kadoya, Passerby 2UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Tsukasa (M)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may transform Tsukasa Kadoya, Passerby. (He doesn't lose loyalty while he's not a planeswalker.)
+1: Scry 3, then reveal the top card of your library. If a legendary card was revealed this way, put it into your hand.
-3: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Tsukasa deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
//
Decade, Destroyer of Worlds
Legendary Creature - Rider
3, Discard a card: Decade, Destroyer of Worlds becomes a copy of target legendary creature until end of turn, except it gains haste and this ability.
2UR, : Decade deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to its power plus the number of legendary creatures on the battlefield. Exile Decade, then return it to the battlefield (front face up.)
4/4

Daiki Kaito, Master Thief 2UB
Legendary Planeswalker - Daiki (M)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may transforms Daiki Kaito, Master Thief. (He doesn't lose loyalty while he's not a planeswalker.)
+1: Surveil 2. Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
-6: Gain control of target artifact or creature. Its controller loses 3 life.
//
Diend, Interplanar Sniper
⬤ Legendary Creature - Rider
3, Discard a card: Create a token that's a copy of target legendary creature, except it has "When you control no creatures named Diend, Interplanar Sniper, exile this creature."
2UB, : Destroy target creature or planeswalker with mana value X or less, where X is Diend's power plus the number of other legendary creatures on the battlefield. Exile Diend, then return it to the battlefield (front face up.)
4/4

IIW: LotR characters skipped over by the Universes Beyond set
I know of Kamen Rider by knowing that it's similar to Super Sentai by knowing of it through Power Rangers. I assume both cards are good representations of their characters, but have no frame of reference, really. Ok, that second ability on Diend should just say "destroy target creature or planeswalker" with that text after it, it's never going to not kill something if you have the barest hint of board presence.
Chromaticus wrote:
11 months ago
Kelsier, Cognitive Shadow {1}{U}{B}
Legendary Planeswalker-Kelsier
Opponents play with their hands revealed.
+1 Fateseal 1
-1 Up to two creatures cannot attack you or planeswalkers you control until your next turn.
-3 Choose target card in an opponent's hand. Until your next turn, they may not cast spells before playing that card.

Edit: I really want to be the guy who gets the tags right. Is there a guide somewhere?
DQed for not having an IIW, unfortunately. I also have no idea who this guy is. Mistborn comes up, so I guess another sanderson character, nice.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
The One Electronic 2BR
Legendary Planeswalker — Terrin {M}
[+1]: The One Electronic deals 2 damage to target player. Then if you control three or more artifacts, that player discards a card.
[-2]: If you don't control a creature named Maquín, create Maquín, a legendary 3/2 white Warrior artifact creature token with first strike.
[-7]: Until end of turn, you may cast artifact spells from your graveyard without paying their mana costs.
{3}

IIW: only you can prevent forest fires
A webcomic character I know nothing about, all I can judge on is the mechanics, and they seem solid
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
The Magic Schoolbus 2UU
Legendary Artifact Planeswalker (M)
The Magic Schoolbus remains on the battlefield if it has no loyalty counters on it.
Capacity 6 (No more than six creatures may be aboard the Magic Schoolbus at once.)
+1: Up to 2 creatures board The Magic Schoolbus. You get an emblem with "Creatures aboard The Magic Schoolbus have flying and ward 1."
-2: Up to 2 creatures board The Magic Schoolbus. Scry 2 and Learn.
-5: Any number of creatures board and/or exit The Magic Schoolbus. The Magic Schoolbus and all creatures aboard it phase out. When it phases back in, draw a card for each creature aboard it.

IIW: centipedes, millipedes, geopedes, etc.
If you aren't going to use that artifact type on this card to make it a vehicle, remove it. Otherwise, very good card, extremely ready to cruise on down main street and seek out the octopus in my neighborhood. That emblem is very powerful on a +1, swap that and the bonus from the second loyalty ability. Maybe reduce the number of boarding on the new +1 if you're concerned about that.

Winner: Mergatroid Jones for, honestly, just picking something I'm familiar with and giving me something I can really get excited about.
Next: Centi-, milli-, or geo- pedes

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

New Errata: All creature with the "pede" suffix in their name are changed from Insect to Myriapod.

Mulch Millipede
5{G}
Creature - Myriapod (U)
Mulch Millipede enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
0/0
===========
Leaf Mulching
1{G}
Sorcery - Adventure
Mill three cards, then you may return a land card from your graveyard to your hand.

Muda, Grand Mukade
2{B}{R}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Myriapod (M)
Menace, trample
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, create a 2/2 Myriapod creature token with haste that is black, red, and green named Mukade Segment.
{1}, Sacrifice another Myriapod: Muda, Grand Mukade deals 1 damage to any target.
Muda gets +1/+1 for each creature you control named Mukade Segment.
6/6

IIW: Larval form of something else
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 11 months ago

Nthpede XBG
Creature - Insect (R)
Hexproof
Nthpede enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Nthpede, if Nthpede has 5 or more counters on it, it gains "Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Nthpede."
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Nthpede, if Nthpede has 100 or more +1/+1 counters on it, you win the game.
2/2

IIW: Commons designed for Pauper Commander
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 11 months ago

Manabound Millipede
Land
Manabound Millipede counts as an 1/1 insect while it is in your library as long as you control 4 or more lands.
Manabound Millipede enters the battlefield tapped unless you control 4 or more lands.
Tap add G to your mana pool.

Megiddo
MEG

Evergrowing Centipede G
Creature - Insect {U}
Molt XG, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Evergrowing Centipede. (XG, T: Turn this creature face down as a 2/2 creature. At the beginning of your next upkeep, turn it face up. Molt only as a sorcery.)
When Evergrowing Centipede is turned face up, put two +1/+1 counters on it. Then it fights up to one target creature an opponent controls.
1/1

IIW: More face down mechanics or cards.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 11 months ago

Erupting Geopede RRR
Creature — Insect (R)
Trample
When Erupting Geopede enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of Mountains. When you do, create that many tokens that are copies of Erupting Geopede.
3/2

(This would be for a Modern set, probably not a Standard one.)

IIW: she-ra and he-man (any versions of either show)
Last edited by spacemonaut 11 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 11 months ago

Segmentapede XX
Artifact Creature - Insect Construct (R)
Trample
Segmentapede enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Segmentapede while it has a +1/+1 counter on it, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it. When one or more +1/+1 counters are removed from Segmentapede this way, create that many 1/1 colorless Insect Construct creature tokens.
0/0

IIW: Battles from Magic's past

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 11 months ago

Larval Geopede R
Creature — Insect (U)
Larval Geopede enters the battlefield with three pupa counters on it.
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, remove a pupa counter from Larval Geopede and it deals 1 damage to any target. Then, if there are no pupa counters on Larval Geopede, transform it and it gets +1/+0 and gains menace until end of turn.
0/2
//
Surging Geopede
Creature — Insect (U)
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Surging Geopede gets +1/+0 and gains menace until end of turn.
3/2

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones

Segments
Show
Hide
11 months ago
New Errata: All creature with the "pede" suffix in their name are changed from Insect to Myriapod.

Mulch Millipede
5{G}
Creature - Myriapod (U)
Mulch Millipede enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
0/0
===========
Leaf Mulching
1{G}
Sorcery - Adventure
Mill three cards, then you may return a land card from your graveyard to your hand.

Muda, Grand Mukade
2{B}{R}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Myriapod (M)
Menace, trample
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, create a 2/2 Myriapod creature token with haste that is black, red, and green named Mukade Segment.
{1}, Sacrifice another Myriapod: Muda, Grand Mukade deals 1 damage to any target.
Muda gets +1/+1 for each creature you control named Mukade Segment.
6/6

IIW: Larval form of something else
I had forgotten they were marked insects. That's not correct.

Mulch Millipede: I like this idea. It's a Mulch that turns into a Terravore. But it's too conservatively costed on the creature side.

Muda: So it's like the centipede from Centipede? Huh. I think think the balance is pretty good on this.
Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
Nthpede XBG
Creature - Insect (R)
Hexproof
Nthpede enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Nthpede, if Nthpede has 5 or more counters on it, it gains "Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Nthpede."
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Nthpede, if Nthpede has 100 or more +1/+1 counters on it, you win the game.
2/2

IIW: Commons designed for Pauper Commander
Trying to math! Brain overload!

Chromaticus wrote:
11 months ago
Manabound Millipede
Land
Manabound Millipede counts as an 1/1 insect while it is in your library as long as you control 4 or more lands.
Manabound Millipede enters the battlefield tapped unless you control 4 or more lands.
Tap add G to your mana pool.
Weird idea. I kinda like the notion of turning Grist, the Hunger Tide's ability into a trait of insect cards. But I don't like millipedes in insect tribal because millipedes are not insects despite what Magic cards tell you.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Evergrowing Centipede G
Creature - Insect {U}
Molt XG, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Evergrowing Centipede. (XG, T: Turn this creature face down as a 2/2 creature. At the beginning of your next upkeep, turn it face up. Molt only as a sorcery.)
When Evergrowing Centipede is turned face up, put two +1/+1 counters on it. Then it fights up to one target creature an opponent controls.
1/1

IIW: More face down mechanics or cards.
Molt is a weird combination of morph, outlast, and monstrous.I'm down for it. It grows pretty efficiently the first few times, but so do Experiment One variants.
spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
Erupting Geopede RRR
Creature — Insect (R)
Trample
When Erupting Geopede enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of Mountains. When you do, create that many tokens that are copies of Erupting Geopede.
3/2

(This would be for a Modern set, probably not a Standard one.)

IIW: she-ra and he-man (any versions of either show)
Very red. Very Devastating Summons-esque. It seems like a good way to get rid of excess lands, though too many lands isn't usually what mono-red is going for. A situationally powerful card with fitting flavor.
lookingupanddown wrote:
11 months ago
Segmentapede XX
Artifact Creature - Insect Construct (R)
Trample
Segmentapede enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Segmentapede while it has a +1/+1 counter on it, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it. When one or more +1/+1 counters are removed from Segmentapede this way, create that many 1/1 colorless Insect Construct creature tokens.
0/0

IIW: Battles from Magic's past
Fun! Double X makes this pretty weak compared to powerhouses like Walking Balista or Hangarback Walker, and I think this could easily be uncommon. I dig it.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Larval Geopede R
Creature — Insect (U)
Larval Geopede enters the battlefield with three pupa counters on it.
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, remove a pupa counter from Larval Geopede and it deals 1 damage to any target. Then, if there are no pupa counters on Larval Geopede, transform it and it gets +1/+0 and gains menace until end of turn.
0/2
//
Surging Geopede
Creature — Insect (U)
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Surging Geopede gets +1/+0 and gains menace until end of turn.
3/2

That's a helluva Prodigal Pyromancer variant! Transforming is frankly a downside, and it's a bit like Reckoner Bankbuster where plotting the crime is more rewarding than robbing the bank. Sometimes you'd rather beat down with a geopede, but I'm here for the pupa.
The Head
Show
Hide
Lots of legs all around, but I think Segmentapede has the most legs here.

HM: Spacemonaut and Meggido

Winner: lookingupanddown
Next: Battles from Magic's past

chetoos

The fall of Skalla 2ubr
Battle - Siege
When The Fall of Skalla enters the battlefield, the player defending it sacrifices a creature, discards a card, and loses 2 life. You draw a card, gain 2 life, and create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
//
Nicol bolas, Ascendant
Legendary Planeswalker - Bolas
+2 - Look at the top four cards of target opponent's library. Exile one of them face down, and put the rest on the bottom of that player's library in a random order. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
+1 - Create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
-4 - Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
-10 - Exile a number of cards from target opponent's library equal to the total power of creatures you control. You may cast those cards as long as they remain exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast them.
Last edited by chetoos 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

Invasion of Sarpadia
3{B}
Battle - Siege (U)
When Invasion of Sarpadia enters the battlefield, create three 0/1 black Thrull creature tokens.
<4>
===============
Thrull Monstrosity
Creature - Thrull Horror (B)
1, Sacrifice another creature: Thrull Monstrosity gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If a Thrull was sacrificed this way, each opponent loses 2 life.
4/2

IIW: Larva of another creature
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Assault of the Numena 2BR
Battle — Melee (R)
(All players can attack and defend a Melee battle. When it's defeated, the player who defeats it may cast it transformed.)
When Assault of the Numena enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
//
Numena's Reign
Enchantment (R)
When Numena's Reign enters the battlefield, destroy all Dragons.
Whenever a creature is destroyed, put a conquest counter on Numena's Reign.
Humans you control get +1/+1 for each conquest counter on Numena's Reign.

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Mergatroid_Jones

Proposed new erata: Historic now includes Artifacts, Legendaries, Sagas, AND Battles. Just because it makes sense.

Reusing my battle subtypes from last time: http://nxs.wf/np427442.

Aether Revolt 1RW
Battle- Rebellion (U)
(You protect a Rebellion. Other players can attack it.)
When Aether Revolt enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target artifact.
5,T: Create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying. This ability costs 1 less to activate for each defense counter on Aether Revolt.
]5[

The Desecration of Zendikar 7
Battle- Campaign (R)
(As a Campaign enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, create two tokens that are copies of it.)
When the Desecration of Zendikar enters the battlefield, create a colorless 7/3 Eldrazi creature token with Annihilation 3. (When it attacks, defending player sacrifices a permanent unless they pay 3.)
]7[

Vampires vs. Angels, and the vampires are the good guys? I almost forgot about that one somehow. Got overshadowed by Emrakul.

Olivia's War 2B
Battle- Campaign (R)
(As a Campaign enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, create two tokens that are copies of it.)
Lifelink (Damage caused by this battle also causes you to gain that much life.)
Creatures you control get +1/+0.
1R,T, Discard a card: Olivia's War deals 2 damage to any non-Battle target.
]4[

If it's not obvious, the original campaign dies when it's defeated.

IIW: Spooky ghosts and ghost stories (not necessarily as creatures)

Megiddo
MEG

Spikeshot Ambush 1R
Battle — Ambush {U}
(Cast an Ambush only during an opponent's beginning of combat step. Opponents can attack it and you defend it. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next upkeep.)
Whenever a player attacks, defending player chooses a creature they control. That creature deals damage equal to its power to target attacking creature.
When you defeat Spikeshot Ambush, draw a card.
{3}

(Ambushes are meant to implicitly be able to be cast as an instant here, in case that's not clear from the reminder text.)

IIW: building blocks
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Spikeshot Ambush 1R
Battle — Ambush {U}
(Cast an Ambush only during an opponent's beginning of combat step. Opponents can attack it and you defend it. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next upkeep.)
Whenever a player attacks, defending player chooses a creature they control. That creature deals damage equal to its power to target attacking creature.
{3}

(Ambushes are meant to implicitly be able to be cast as an instant here, in case that's not clear from the reminder text.)

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 11 months ago

chetoos wrote:
11 months ago
The fall of Skalla 2ubr
Battle - Siege
When The Fall of Skalla enters the battlefield, the player defending it sacrifices a creature, discards a card, and loses 2 life. You draw a card, gain 2 life, and create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
//
Nicol bolas, Ascendant
Legendary Planeswalker - Bolas
+2 - Look at the top four cards of target opponent's library. Exile one of them face down, and put the rest on the bottom of that player's library in a random order. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
+1 - Create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
-4 - Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
-10 - Exile a number of cards from target opponent's library equal to the total power of creatures you control. You may cast those cards as long as they remain exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast them.
Starting off with another planeswalker battle, I see. I like the usual Bolas references. Not much more to say, seeing as we don't really know much about Skalla outside of things related to Vivien Reid.
11 months ago
Invasion of Sarpadia
3{B}
Battle - Siege (U)
When Invasion of Sarpadia enters the battlefield, create three 0/1 black Thrull creature tokens.
<4>
===============
Thrull Monstrosity
Creature - Thrull Horror (B)
1, Sacrifice another creature: Thrull Monstrosity gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If a Thrull was sacrificed this way, each opponent loses 2 life.
4/2

IIW: Larva of another creature
This battle shows my favorite Dominaria trivia, about how the thrulls alone were able to repel Yawgmoth's invasion on Sarpadia. Solid uncommon if there's some sort of sacrifice strategy... like the back half.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Assault of the Numena 2BR
Battle — Melee (R)
(All players can attack and defend a Melee battle. When it's defeated, the player who defeats it may cast it transformed.)
When Assault of the Numena enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
//
Numena's Reign
Enchantment (R)
When Numena's Reign enters the battlefield, destroy all Dragons.
Whenever a creature is destroyed, put a conquest counter on Numena's Reign.
Humans you control get +1/+1 for each conquest counter on Numena's Reign.

And the oldest referred event here gets the Melee subtype. I'm not too big on battles going to anyone (why play it when my opponent can steal it?), but this effect seems interesting enough that it'll encourage aggro. Does feel weird flavorfully because the numena cooperated to take down the Primevals and this discourages that.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Proposed new erata: Historic now includes Artifacts, Legendaries, Sagas, AND Battles. Just because it makes sense.

Reusing my battle subtypes from last time: http://nxs.wf/np427442.

Aether Revolt 1RW
Battle- Rebellion (U)
(You protect a Rebellion. Other players can attack it.)
When Aether Revolt enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target artifact.
5,T: Create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying. This ability costs 1 less to activate for each defense counter on Aether Revolt.
]5[

The Desecration of Zendikar 7
Battle- Campaign (R)
When the Desecration of Zendikar enters the battlefield, create a colorless 7/3 Eldrazi creature token with Annihilation 3. (When it attacks, defending player sacrifices a permanent unless they pay 3.)
]7[

Vampires vs. Angels, and the vampires are the good guys? I almost forgot about that one somehow. Got overshadowed by Emrakul.

Olivia's War 2B
Battle- Campaign (R)
Lifelink (Damage caused by this battle also causes you to gain that much life.)
Creatures you control get +1/+0.
1R,T, Discard a card: Olivia's War deals 2 damage to any non-Battle target.
]4[

If it's not obvious, the original campaign dies when it's defeated.

IIW: Spooky ghosts and ghost stories (not necessarily as creatures)
I like all the battles here. Aether Revolt is a fine way to make a battle you have to defend yourself. The ability leaning on the defense counters remaining feels very flavorful to me. The Campaigns feel like a threat, especially when you're duplicating anthems and 7/3s. Not sure if the costing works, however, with how explosive this stuff could get. My favorite of the bunch is Olivia's War, between the greater push for aggro, and an ability balanced to not just spam more of itself once the token copies start showing up.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Spikeshot Ambush 1R
Battle — Ambush {U}
{3}

Spikeshots? Okay, I guess. This flips a lot of combat math (as a combat trick should), but hopefully not in a time-draining way.

HM: Mergatroid_Jones for Olivia's War
Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon for Invasion of Sarpadia

Next: Larva of another creature
Last edited by lookingupanddown 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos

I had also forgotten an IIW, so oh well.

Larval Gargomoth g
Creature - Beast Insect
Trample, Vigilance
Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then, gain 1 life if it has 1 or more +1/+1 counter on it, create a 3/3 green beast creature token if it has 4 or more +1/+1 counters on it, and draw a card if it has 7 or more +1/+1 counters on it.
"I had no idea they pupated, this calls their entire lifespan and classification into question," - The Journal of Vivien Reid
0/1

IIW: Unfiled, an office work themed unset.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Grist, Budding Hunger BG
Legendary Creature — Insect (M)
Menace
Whenever you mill a creature card, create a 1/1 black and green Insect creature token.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control six or more Insects, exile Grist, Budding Hunger and return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control.
2/2
//
Grist, Voracious Vermin
Legendary Planeswalker — Grist (M)
Grist, Voracious Vermin enters the battlefield with a loyalty counter on it for each other Insect you control.
[+1]: Mill two cards. Then, if there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Grist, Voracious Vermin.
[-2]: Exile target non-Aura permanent card from your graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 1/1 black and green Insect creature.
[-10]: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, for each Insect creature you control, create a token that's a copy of it, except it isn't legendary."
[0]

(omitting the "if that Insect is legendary" text has new precedent from Storm of Saruman)

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 11 months ago

Demonbud BB
Creature — Demon (U)
You can't gain life.
Whenever you lose life for the first time on each of your turns, draw a card.
, , Sacrifice Demonbud: Search your library for a Demon card with mana value less than or equal to the amount of life you've lost this turn, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
Full of teeth and vice, and the shape of disasters to come.
1/1

IIW: she-ra and he-man and the kingdom of grayskull
Last edited by spacemonaut 11 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Polywog 1U
Creature - Frog {R}
Flash
3U, Sacrifice Polywog and another creature: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a non-Frog creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
2/1

IIW: ghosts and/or tricks
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Betaskull 2
Artifact- Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has Lifelink and Vigilance.
Living Weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Phyrexian Germ creature token, then attach this to it.)
4: Return Betaskull to its owner's hand.
Equip 4

I did not realize Phyrexian Dreadnought's typeline read Phyrexian Dreadnought. Love It.

Phyrexian Dreadling 0
Artifact Creature- Phryrexian Dreadnought (R)
Flash, trample
When Phyrexian Dreadling enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice any number of creatures with total power 4 or greater.
4/4

IIW: Red does that?

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Thing in the Snow U
Creature — Horror (U)
Defender
Thing in the Snow enters the battlefield with three ice counters on it.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, remove an ice counter from Thing in the Snow. Then if it has no ice counters on it, transform it.
0/2
//
Awoken Tadpole
Creature — Kraken Horror (U)
When this creature transforms into Awoken Tadpole, all non-Horror creatures phase out.
4/3

IIW: Artifacts with mana value 2
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”