Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Yatsufusa wrote:
1 year ago
I usually don't comment on cards as they're revealed, but since I'm already here for the tidbit of lore, I do have an Animar deck that loves Elrdazi and has a Cascade theme, guess who's a windmill slam for that deck. Stack with Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty and now I can cast Apex Devastator for 7 Cascades, which is probably 8 Animar triggers (and an overloaded board asking for wipes, but Animar already does that regardless, so nothing's new there).
Sadly, Zhulodok on grants cascade to colorless spells - and looking at my own deck, I'm not running many colorless lands to cast them in the first place. Can still be good if you're running enough other Eldrazi or other colorless fatties though.

Good call re: being from Ulamog's brood though. Hmmmm....

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Anikthea, Hand of Erebos

Just when I thought I was done with Him, I get pulled back in. In my favorite color combination? With a theme I haven't explored yet? Dang.

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Yatsufusa wrote:
1 year ago
I usually don't comment on cards as they're revealed, but since I'm already here for the tidbit of lore, I do have an Animar deck that loves Elrdazi and has a Cascade theme, guess who's a windmill slam for that deck. Stack with Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty and now I can cast Apex Devastator for 7 Cascades, which is probably 8 Animar triggers (and an overloaded board asking for wipes, but Animar already does that regardless, so nothing's new there).
Sadly, Zhulodok on grants cascade to colorless spells - and looking at my own deck, I'm not running many colorless lands to cast them in the first place. Can still be good if you're running enough other Eldrazi or other colorless fatties though.

Good call re: being from Ulamog's brood though. Hmmmm....
Reading is tech and I've failed that. Okay now that makes Zhulodok much less appealing (I still can make use of it, but it's not head-and-shoulders above the other haymakers in the deck now that I've been corrected, and competition is tight if you aren't).

I can still pray there's a card that can make grant cards/spells Devoid, I guess... (I do run Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter for the Morphs, so Devoid is not as pointless as it may sound on paper).

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Yatsufusa wrote:
1 year ago
There's going to be a retcon of some sort, either they write Legendary Eldrazi backwards into the BFZ plot (since it doesn't affect the main plot), or they pull some sort of "Kamigawa Dragon" rebirth on the Eldrazi Titans and Zhulodok is basically Ulamog being reborn and now it claims Cascade, I guess?
Not really necessary, could be that Zhulodok is a lesser Eldrazi that is unusual among its brethren for surviving so long and having unique powers, no different from any other legendary creature.

Think of it like the Skrelv or Slimefoot of Eldrazi; there are plenty of Mites and Thallids.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
WWolfe wrote:
1 year ago
The legend rule not applying to Slivers isn't really a big deal (outside of Sliver Legion there's no benefit to multiples of one), but giving all Slivers in your graveyard Encore seems like something to play around with.
Yeah, it's a bit niche. That said, it does work with Gravemother itself (which would otherwise make its encore ability not work very well), so it's a somewhat necessary line of text.
  • Commodore Guff is eh. I'm not really a friend of superfriends.
  • Anikthea, Hand of Erebos is awesome... not for EDH, but for my cube, which has a wbg enchantress theme and no 3-color card to act as a signpost. It otherwise looks quite strong.
  • Zhulodok, Void Gorger raises lore questions (since there are no other named Eldrazi other than the titans), but looks like a lot of fun. I suspect the deck is a little one-dimensional (ramp → big stuff), but I will call out that it combos with Metalwork Colossus + a sac outlet.
  • Call of the Ring is a cheaper Phyrexian Arena with upside. The Ring is significantly less impactful than monarch / initiative, but it's a nice perk for creature-focused decks. I could see myself wanting it in decks like Thada Adel, Acquisitor or Virtus the Veiled that have small commanders with saboteur abilities, but it will generally depend on the base card being playable without the Tempt.
  • Sauron, the Necromancer looks reasonable - repeatable free reanimation. This also suggests multiple Saurons in the product.
Beyond that, I'll give the obligatory 'why are they previewing two three new sets when we just had Aftermath previewed last week?' complaint. (I just saw the Dr. Who previews)
I can confirm vorthosjay confirm zhulodok is just a brood of ulamog

So we have the first ever named brood of are eldrazi titans
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
1 year ago
I just did a couple runs of Tazri, Stalwart Survivor

Holy moly… activated abiloty tribal with her is gonna be banana's im mostly doing creature based mana ramp and i still barely run out of gas because of that mill ability
Got a list anywhere?
https://archidekt.com/decks/4475428/so_ ... ies_to_use

Just note im still working on it

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

just thought up this great standard deck recipe
4x pleased hobbit
31x pushed legendary creatures which somehow also replace themselves
25x duals

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
31x pushed legendary creatures which somehow also replace themselves
Legendary spells, so you can toss in a few planeswalkers and artifacts as well.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I'll note that the LotR set will be legal in Modern, not Standard. Still, Delighted Halfling looks like a reasonable alternative to Birds of Paradise / Noble Hierarch / Ignoble Hierarch for legend-heavy decks, particularly since it doesn't die to Wrenn and Six or other pings.

...from a flavor perspective, I'll note that small creatures like halflings make better ring-bearers due to the first mode making them particularly difficult to block, which is a nice tidbit.

Wizard's Rockets is mildly interesting as a strictly-better Terrarion. It's also a little silly with Mana Reflection.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

So far Anikthea, Hand of Erebos intrigues me the most. A lot of shenanigans to be had beyond enchantress, such as zombie, stax, etc. Token Contamination that populates itself via Growing Ranks/Song of the Worldsoul would be fun.

I'd collect Guff's deck because it's Guff.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Cyberium wrote:
1 year ago
So far Anikthea, Hand of Erebos intrigues me the most. A lot of shenanigans to be had beyond enchantress, such as zombie, stax, etc. Token Contamination that populates itself via Growing Ranks/Song of the Worldsoul would be fun.

I'd collect Guff's deck because it's Guff.
You would want growing ranks unless you can power out worldsoul consistently. Doable in enchantment decks but wildly inconsistent. Ranks and Nesting Dovehawk would be the go-to since all the rest of the populate cards just are too slow or cost you something to activate.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Anikthea, Hand of Erebos is nice but I have mixed feelings about it. My issue is like...why is enchantress all graveyard or storm themed? Like can we not think of anything else? :P

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Really hoping the secondary commander in the Abzan deck is cool, hoping to maybe build it instead.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Anikthea, Hand of Erebos is nice but I have mixed feelings about it. My issue is like...why is enchantress all graveyard or storm themed? Like can we not think of anything else? :P
Well, more people could play aggro-storm enchantress like I do, but i suppose we can't all be so refined and cultured.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Venedrex

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Well, more people could play aggro-storm enchantress like I do, but i suppose we can't all be so refined and cultured.
I can't build Sythis, Harvest's Hand because I already tore apart the first deck I ever made years ago for being repetitive and time consuming Tatyova, Benthic Druid. Draw a card, gain 1 life. Then I play ... draw a card gain 1 life, then I play, draw card gain 1 life.. then I cast.. then I play draw a card gain 1 life, I still have six more spells to cast, shuffle my library six more times.. Oh is everyone else still awake?

I just want a happy middle ground between endless turns of playing the card type like Sythis and strange reanimator creature enchantments. Something like Daxos the Returned maybe.

Or, I want to be rewarded for doing the thing, but maybe not with card draw every time I play the thing.

I thought about the new Calix, Guided by Fate but the thought of managing both counters and copy tokens seemed like an absolute chore. Maybe I'm just a whiner.

Yeah, I think I'd build Daxos if it came down to it, but I'll wait to see what's coming in the precon.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I can't build Sythis, Harvest's Hand because I already tore apart the first deck I ever made years ago for being repetitive and time consuming Tatyova, Benthic Druid. Draw a card, gain 1 life. Then I play ... draw a card gain 1 life, then I play, draw card gain 1 life.. then I cast.. then I play draw a card gain 1 life, I still have six more spells to cast, shuffle my library six more times.. Oh is everyone else still awake?
Sure, there's a little of that. But at least with my deck I also get to regularly hit people for 20-40 damage by turn 6 and that's pure dopamine for me. I really only find my turns getting long when I'm rebuilding after removal because I have to dig for new auras.

But even with the long turns, if you're threatening 1HKOs via a thirty-something/thirty-something with 8 keywords you best believe your opponents will be on high alert. I've found it's awful hard to sleep looking down a barrel like that.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Venedrex

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Sure, there's a little of that. But at least with my deck I also get to regularly hit people for 20-40 damage by turn 6 and that's pure dopamine for me. I really only find my turns getting long when I'm rebuilding after removal because I have to dig for new auras.

But even with the long turns, if you're threatening 1HKOs via a thirty-something/thirty-something with 8 keywords you best believe your opponents will be on high alert. I've found it's awful hard to sleep looking down a barrel like that.
Yeah, I mean, voltron is a good way to end games quickly.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
You can always pick Tatsunari, Toad Rider and go Words of Waste/Words of Wilding/Words of Wind. I suppose it's technically a "storm" direction, but it's funner? XD

pokken

Yeah like I said storm or grave shenanigans. :). Weirdly the bant general that only triggers once a turn so rewards flash was my fave. Using Thalia and gitrog with a minor lands theme atm.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Well, we've got some more LotR stuff on the way. I will just say that from a flavor and value perspective, I am delighted with Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, which I did not expect. Delighted Halfling is a bona fide staple dork in a ton of places, too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Myrkul, Lord of Bones is GY?

How would you design a new take on GWx enchantments?

pokken

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Myrkul, Lord of Bones is GY?

How would you design a new take on GWx enchantments?
Myrkul makes dudes into enchantments. But it also does get hosed by many gy hate.

The simplest example is the one I have already (that bant one, umm, tuvasa).

I think new zur is my favorite I've seen in a while. He's neat. That's the other angle really turning enchantments into bros.

I personally would design a lifegain commander that is basically angelic chorus for enchantments as a first cut. Maybe like...

Esper enchantments with constellation choose one but no more than once each per turn:
each player loses life equal to cmc
Scry the cmc
Gain life equal to the cmc

Or something like that :)

Don't want to turn this into design the card thread but there's a ton of untrod ground with just constellation. Life gain and drain, doomwake.dec, copy auras on etb, all kinds of cool things that aren't just more storm and gy shenanigans

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I think new zur is my favorite I've seen in a while. He's neat. That's the other angle really turning enchantments into bros.
Big fan myself. Haven't quite seen a way to break him yet, but I picked a copy up just in case inspiration strikes.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Big fan myself. Haven't quite seen a way to break him yet, but I picked a copy up just in case inspiration strikes.
I just can't make yet another frigging esper deck. It seems like all I want to brew is bwx these days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”