Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL April Top 6/Round 3

"Blank Faces"

The Wandering Emperor, taken from MTGSalvation Wiki, by Tommy Arnold and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Missing Out Month here in the CCL. Designs this month will be themed around the idea of something being missing.

Challenge
Design a creature or planeswalker card that has no creature or planeswalker subtypes.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card may have any supertypes or additional card types.
  • Concurrently, your card may have subtypes that aren't creature types or planeswalker types.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@Subject16
@Henlock
@kwanyeegor-ii
@slimytrout
@netn10
@MonoRedMage
Your submissions are due Tuesday, April 25th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 11th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 19th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (April 22nd–25th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due April 27th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 28th–May 1st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 3rd)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Memory of Tamiyo GWU
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Saga (M)
Living Memory (As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. It gets +1/+1 for each lore counter on it.)
I — Mill two cards, then return a card from your graveyard to your hand.
II — You get an emblem with "Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast."
III — Remove all lore counters from Memory of Tamiyo, then draw that many cards.
1/1

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Faceless Challanger 1
Legendary Creature (Mythic)
Choose up to five backgrounds
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gains control of Faceless Challanger and each background you control.
Faceless Challanger must attack each turn if able and It can't attack its owner.
2/1

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Go-Shintai of the Shattered States 3R
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Shrine {M}
Double strike
WUBRG: Put a +1/+1 counter on each enchantment creature you control. Those creatures gain indestructible until end of turn.
At the end of your first combat phase each turn, untap up to X target creatures you control, where X is the number of Shrines you control. After this phase, you get an additional combat phase.
2/1

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Giving a submission reminder for @Henlock, @kwanyeegor-ii, and @slimytrout - I can offer an extension if needed.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

The Masked Mendicant 1GW
Legendary Planeswalker (M)
If a source would deal damage to The Masked Mendicant, prevent 1 of that damage.
+1: Each player creates a Treasure token and draws a card.
-1: Each player creates a 1/1 white Peasant creature token with defender and gains 1 life.
-7: Each player sacrifices each creature, enchantment, and artifact they control that's not a token.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Cryptolith Echo 4
Artifact Creature - Clue (Uncommon)
When Cryptolith Echo enters the battlefield, target creature an opponent controls gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
2, Sacrifice Cryptolith Echo: Draw a card.
Undying
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Still missing @Henlock's submission, but I can extend until 23:59 Eastern tomorrow, Thursday the 27th.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Unfathomable Presence ub
Creature (r)
Unfathomable Presence cannot block or be blocked.
Unfathomable Presence cannot be chosen, named or targeted.
Unfathomable Presence cannot be returned to its owner"s hand or put into its owner"s library from the battlefield.
2/1

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Okay, with every entry in I'm going to close the round. Please critique and make a top 3 out of all of the other contestants. You have until 23:59 Eastern on Saturday the 29th.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Interesting concept for a background commander. It's worth noting that all current backgrounds mentions commanders you own not control, so there's no need for control of the backgrounds to switch over either. I also wish this would also come with the Assault Suit "can't be sacrificed" thing too.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
A very interesting Go-Shintai for sure. I would expect that second ability to have a tap in its activation too but I think that's just to line up with the other mythic one. Definitely more aggressive than Shrine-centric since it doesn't help generate more shrines itself, but still a design I can very much get behind. Also I didn't even realise the Go-Shintai cycle had no creature types either!
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Group Hug planeswalker! What's not to love. There's something a little fun about the "who is this mysterious benefactor" that could compel some lore afficianados to speculate. The abilities themselves feel all fine, it's a very fun design.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I love the idea of a Clue with undying, very fun design. Kinda wish the ETB also tied in with its power to also link up the undying. Although flavor-wise this kinda feels similar to Cryptolith Fragment // Aurora of Emrakul which had the fun reflection creature type, so it's not the easiest to justify why this wouldn't have a creature type.
Henlock
Show
Hide
It's a pretty cool design space, but I think the wording is definitely off, and the general True-Name Nemesis vibes this gives off make me think it's not the most balanced.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Faceless Challenger

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
So this is a saga that keeps recycling itself? I feel like the rules interactions there could get a little confusing. Also not sure how I feel about getting repeated emblems from a non-Planeswalker card -- I get that it's a call-out but not sure I love it.
netn10
Show
Hide
So you just get to start the game with six cards in the command zone? I get that you have to give them all to your opponents each turn, but there are plenty of sacrifice/blink effects to abuse this. Just too much potential to go wrong.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Nice! Love this, and great justification for not having a creature type.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I guess I don't see why it doesn't have a creature type? But overall it's a fun card.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I like this -- very mysterious, which fits with no creature type. I guess I'm not sure how the "can't be named" ability would work in the rules (maybe could have been done as "while this creature is on the battlefield, it has no name" which is even more mysterious) but overall a cool card.
T3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. Henlock
3. kwanyeegor-ii

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

1 - netn10
2 - Henlock
3 - slimytrout

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

top 3
Show
Hide
1 Subject16
2 slimytrout
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Lots of very interesting stuff.

Subject16- I think this is a good choice for getting away with no type. There"s a Kamigawan flavor with the Saga-creature thing and Tamiyo. And, its somehow Tamiyo what we picture. The fact that it drops incorporeal enblems even adds to the feel. Very intresting take.
Mechanically, it"s very.powerful yet very slow,so that balanced a bit. With support, this can be pretty oppressive.

Netn10- I really like your take.on "Make your own colour identity". Mechanically, it has some ruling issues and constantly passing stuff around seems uncomfortable. I would take this idea and do something different.

Monoredmage- Flavorfully, you went into already-used territory, but I like your card very much. The activated ability goes great with extra combats, which is a very powerful effect. Here it is pretty well balanced into the Shrine territory. It feels very red, too.

Slimytrout- i like the idea of thia strange guy being nice to everybody until it ultimates into screwing everything else. The damage reduction offsets the speed of the ulti, yet it is well-oriented towards tokens, and it supports the theme very well. I suspect this is more powerful than it looks.

Kwanyegor- With the Cryptolith Fragment // Aurora of Emrakul tradition, this might have earned a type It also ties with the "The Colour oit of Space" feel of it. I like how the mechanics combine here into a simple-looking card with a lot of value.

1. Monoredmage
2. Subject16
3. Slimytrout

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And your top four contestants are:

MonoRedMage
Subject16
Henlock
slimytrout

Next round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”